Mass Effect: Where does the series go now sequel-wise?

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
Hopefully into a bin.

Even more hopefully they remake Mass Effect 3 again but do it right.

OctoH

Feb 14, 2011
It would be nice to see a non-human main character but I doubt it would happen. So...I haven't any idea. Maybe they will continue with a great threat post-Reaper invasion, though I could not tell you what.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
renegade7 said:
It's probably going to be spin-offs. EA/Bioware isn't just going to let this cash cow run dry.
And if they release the right game, they would be right. I'd shell out for a spin-off with Garrus as the lead. One that tells the story of how he ended up becoming Batman on Omega.

The Floating Nose

Dec 5, 2010
Nowhere...it's over. I can see that it can be hard for some fans to see (finally) a modern game series having enough dignity to actually END but you have to come to the conclusion that...even if you didn't like the ending, The Mass Effect coffin is officially closed.

May 17, 2010
Go for gold in pissing people off, Starchild: The Origin Story. Find out more about this fascinating character! Watch him use logic and force his foes to pick options that destroy themselves! Marvel at his ability to subvert any plot-line to being about synthetics! Rachni wars? Synthetics. Krogan rebellions? Likewise. First Contact War? Third time is the charm.

Wuks95

Aug 23, 2011
I hate it when company milks their games, but I love Mass Effect so I would buy a next sequel/prequel. Storywise, they should definitely do prequels. Maybe the first human contact with other races?

Aarowbeatsdragon

Jan 27, 2012
My favorite idea i have for a new mass effect game would be one where you play as an alien (you can be anything you damn well like to be) and the story actually takes place during all 3 games and is set into 3 different "acts" or "chapters". Have you able to import your save files from the first 3 games and be able to see how your choices effected the world in different ways instead of how they just effected commander shepard. Then have the last act of the game be set after your mass effect 3 ending with your character seeing the effects of shepards final choice and hinting at what could be coming next.

My second idea is actually to set it after 3 because im going to be honest here, i love mass effect 3's ending, but even the people who didnt you all have to admit that with the mass relays destroyed and all those different races stuck in the same system that has had its planets mined to bits is a REALLY interesting premise.

my third idea is for it to be set in the 2 years between 1 and 2 where the gun systems started to change, for some reason i just picture a futuristic cyber steam punk uprising thing....although im preety sure that would have been mentioned in 2 so it would have to be a self contained story with a single character! anyway those are my ideas! XD

SayHelloToMrBullet

Sep 6, 2011
Is it too much to ask if we can just not have a sequel/prequel?

I mean is it really necessary?

Maybe if they set a sequel set thousands of years into the future. They'd be essentially starting the series fresh which might not be a bad idea in this case.

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
I think it's going to hell. Development hell that is.

But no really, why can't they just leave it at that? What is this thing with people insisting on stuff having to go on and on? 'tis as Yahtzee said, a good story is like a good bowel movement, and if it drags on too long, you're going to be a few organs poorer.

Mysticgamer

Apr 14, 2009
distortedreality said:
I'd be doing prequels, since there's an absolute shit ton of great lore there. I wouldn't even think of doing anything post ME3 for at least a few years.
First off how about the league of one? There's a whole back story that about betrayed secret agents and a deadly galactic game of cat and mouse and supposely one supposes survivor and the whole medal and ID tags thing was dropped and never mentioned again.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
370999 said:
Go for gold in pissing people off, Starchild: The Origin Story. Find out more about this fascinating character! Watch him use logic and force his foes to pick options that destroy themselves! Marvel at his ability to subvert any plot-line to being about synthetics! Rachni wars? Synthetics. Krogan rebellions? Likewise. First Contact War? Third time is the charm.
I don't know... If it were played as a comedy, that might actually be pretty damn fun, in a sadistic sort of way.

I'm assuming we'd play as the Starchild, fucking over cycle after cycle, starting with the Keepers race culminating in total fuckover ending the humans cycle.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I think direct sequels wouldn't be the way to go, nor would prequels. Really the only prequel that could be feasible would be the First Contact War as an FPS. I think the best thing to do would be to make spin-offs. Take the span of time between Mass Effect 2 prologue and Mass Effect 2 proper and make that into a Garrus game. I thought I would have more than that honestly...OH I do have one! It can be a direct sequel too:

An RTS in which you colonize those worlds you were scanning in the main games! One more, space-combat sim. That's all I've got.

Kodlak

Feb 5, 2009
Seeing that the different endings created suffiently different outcomes, I believe that creating a sequel would be too hard to do. With that in mind I think that another storyline would take place prior to the current story arc or even parallel it, someone else who is trying to fight the Reapers.

However my preferred scenario would be that it takes place in previous cycle, following a new set of races and their discovery and fight against Reapers. Possibly following the Proteans as they fight the Reapers and build upon the Crucible.

AwkwardTurtle

Aug 21, 2011
Okay so, assuming that the ending was meant to be taken in a literal sense, and not in the super tempting and cool indoctrination theory way, the sequel would play out IN DRASTICALLY DIFFERENT WAYS DEPENDING ON THE ENDING YOU CHOSE. (That is the only way that the terrible ending in ME3 could possibly be forgiven).

FOR THE DESTRUCTION ENDING:
Here you would be able to create a totally new character with the ability to play as any of the races. The story would be about the immediate after-math of Commander Shepard's crazy ass decision to blow up the Mass Relays. Depending on race that you choose to play as different stories will play out, with the overarching story being a large scale war between the races erupts with the Reaper threat gone. The war of course is over who gets control of Earth. If you are a member of one of the species who can't consume the food of humans, your first task is to kidnap as many scientists as possible, preferably Salarians. As one of the races who can consume human food you are faced with the choice of trying to push for your race to co-exist with the humans or annihilate them knowing that the resources on Earth couldn't possibly support two races. Either way there's probably going to be a ton of cover-based shooting involved.

FOR THE CONTROL ENDING:
You continue living as "Shepard", some kind of almighty being that is in control of the Reapers. After being assimilated into the crazy hive mind that seems to make up the Reapers you discover other beings that are separate from yourself yet part of the same mind. Unfortunately despite the Reapers being shown as leaving Earth at the end of the previous ending it was only temporary as Shepard managed to gain complete momentary control of the Reapers since he was an unexpected force within the hive mind. However, now the other beings within the mind have become aware of his presence and control has become split amongst the beings. With only Shepard's will against the total destruction of life, the majority of the Reapers soon continue the mission of destroying all sentient life in the universe. Here Shepard's goal is to traverse this digital realm and take out the other beings through some method that should be thought up of by Bioware before it's too late.

FOR THE SYNTHESIS ENDING:
The game consists of you living in the new planet Joker discovered. The gameplay is a quicktime event where you have sex with EDI and make half-robot half-human babies cause that was the whole point of this ending. After that scene the camera zooms out and the rest of the game takes as a sort of city building game with Joker as mayor. Your job is to build a civilization with the initial goal being to first achieve travel into space, followed by the creation of a system similar to the Mass Relays. Along the way of course your other crew members (who survived) also have their own babies that are obviously different species. The challenge is then to try and achieve your scientific goal, while at the same time keeping peace among the growing population of different species with different ideals. Of course, there's also the problem of potential native life on the planet. etc.

Of course all of these game stories/types would be included in ONE SINGULAR GAME that is developed by Bioware and handed out for free to all those that suffered through the ME3 ending.

I can't believe I typed all that just because I was bored, and probably no one will ever read this post since it's like on the third page and I haven't quoted anyone. xD

Grivahri

Mar 26, 2012
mysecondlife said:
They make Mass Effect MMO, where you create a character and you get to fight Shepherd and "kill" him.

They did that shit to Revan so I don't see why they wouldn't do it. Bioware apparently thought that was a great idea.

still pretty bitter about The Old Republic..
I'm also still angry because of that. First that fucking bullshit novel about Revan and then you can kill him in the game. Way to piss on the fans

SpectacularWebHead

Jun 11, 2012
irmasterlol said:
You know what I say? Let it end. Everyone will remember it so much more fondly if they stop it before it shits all over itself and dies. They told the story they wanted to tell. After this, I would accuse any Mass effect games of being a cash grab.
If the ending wasn't so bad, I'd say one last adventure would be perfect. But it wasn't, and therefore you are totally right.

Mass Effect 4 would be the digital equivelant of shitting in a bag. Pointless and disgusting.

Dec 3, 2011
While Mass Effect 3 was about the military unification of the species; now it's the technological unification of the species, for they are attempting to recover the ability to return home.