Mass Grave of Over 200 Children Found at Former Canadian Residential School

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
If I said something like that for every snide comment made about me (rather than to me) in this thread, I'd have to actively post more to keep up. People have given up on making their case, and have nothing left but personal attacks at me. I've won.
In this thread we confuse gratuitous abuse for ad hominem fallacy

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane

Sure, I'll source a claim. I'm not entirely sure you've figured out how to paste links, since I don't think I've ever seen you source an argument.
What do you think this says?

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Congratulations on finally sourcing a claim. Too bad it's not the one central to your argument that the Catholic church has never systemically protected child molesters. Tragic though this news is, it does not absolve the church of guilt.
You can't fire the criticism back at me. It doesn't land. I source my stuff all the time. I've got half a dozen links in just this thread. It only works as a criticism of you because your m.o., as noted by multiple users in multiple threads, is substance-free hot takes.

If you want to judge whether an organization is making the world better or worse, it is appropriate to consider what the status quo is otherwise. Children being molested in a Catholic School setting is a horrible thing, but it's not a Catholic issue, it's a problem that every school has to confront. Bad things happening is not evidence an organization made things bad, and feeling guilty for making the world better but not perfect is foolish.
Comes into a thread to defend the catholic church
Gets even more people to come in and bash the church

"I've won."
Oh know! Atheists and communists bashing the Catholic Church! Clearly that must mean all my arguments are wrong! /s

You're only making my victory clearer by flailing about it.
Again: Get over yourself.
Again, prove me wrong! Every post you add that does nothing to dispute me only means more that I'm right. Does anyone here have any reasonable argument to claim that the deaths of these children were caused in any way by the Catholicism of the people caring for them? I don't think so, I think all of you having given up the point, and are now trying desperately to make broader criticisms of the Catholic Church to save face.
What do you think this says?
That child molestation isn't a specifically Catholic phenomenon, and the acknowledgment of it in Catholic institutions is used in bad faith by people who don't care about the crimes except as a bat with which to bludgeon a church that they already resent.

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Again, prove me wrong! Every post you add that does nothing to dispute me only means more that I'm right. Does anyone here have any reasonable argument to claim that the deaths of these children were caused in any way by the Catholicism of the people caring for them? I don't think so, I think all of you having given up the point, and are now trying desperately to make broader criticisms of the Catholic Church to save face.
Your whole argument comes down to "we should give them the benefit of the doubt because they're Catholics and Catholics are generally good people."

It's really not a very good argument. You just think it is because you're Catholic. The Catholic church really hasn't earned the benefit of the doubt.

Also, this whole thing you have going about how Catholic schools have the same amount of child rape going on as normal schools isn't the silver bullet you seem to think it is. No one in this thread says that school teachers and coaches are bastions of moral goodness. The Catholic Church on the other hand absolutely unequivocally states that their priests and nuns are bastions of moral goodness. So when they do something terrible, it's extra bad. Especially in the Catholic faith. Your priest is your conduit to god, he hears your sins for god, and tells you how to atone in god's place. A priest has SO much more power in the life of a Catholic than anyone else, and that kind of person abusing their power is more dispicable and disgusting. Kind of funny you don't realize that AS A CATHOLIC.

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
If you want to judge whether an organization is making the world better or worse, it is appropriate to consider what the status quo is otherwise.
I think most of us would agree that a lot of people would be better off without the Catholic church putting their dicks in things, metaphorically and literally.

Reactions: Dirty Hipsters

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Your whole argument comes down to "we should give them the benefit of the doubt because they're Catholics and Catholics are generally good people."
It really doesn't. Half the residential school system in Canada wasn't Catholic, and the only ones my arguments don't equally apply to are the handful of directly state run institutions. I equally don't blame the Protestant schools that got dragged into the government's mess.
The Catholic Church on the other hand absolutely unequivocally states that their priests and nuns are bastions of moral goodness.
Ah yes, the religion that says everyone is inherently a sinner by their nature, yet also everyone is equally priest, prophet, and king in the inheritance of the promise of Christ, is well known for setting priests on an exceptional pedestal. Sure. You don't know much about Catholicism, do you?
A priest has SO much more power in the life of a Catholic than anyone else
Ha! I've been a Catholic my whole life. I go to church on Sundays and holy days. I do the sacraments. I was an altar boy. I went to Catholic school. A whole lot of Catholicism. I don't think any priest at any point in my life has had more power over me than like a lifeguard at the pool did. The priesthood is certainly consequential, but no individual priest is. And like, the Catholic Church is made up of thousands of small parishes with different priests. For reasons as simple as "his sermons are too long", I've known people to start going to the next town over for mass cause it's 2 extra minutes of driving to get the priest the like better. No, no priest has exceptional power over the life of a Catholic. Every teacher you've ever had has more power over you than one priest ever would.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Oh, ok. So, if the kid in question is in a particularly vulnerable position, they hold the power of life or death over them. Gotit.
That is true of literally any adult who has ever supervised a child in any context.

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
Ah yes, the religion that says everyone is inherently a sinner by their nature, yet also everyone is equally priest, prophet, and king in the inheritance of the promise of Christ, is well known for setting priests on an exceptional pedestal. Sure. You don't know much about Catholicism, do you?
Catholics are also known for their consistency and lack of hypocrisy

Reactions: crimson5pheonix

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
That is true of literally any adult who has ever supervised a child in any context.
I mean.... not really. There are countless regulations and legal oversights to ensure teachers, instructors, counsellors etc don't get away with abuse. Such mechanisms sometimes fail, but they at least exist and function.

Whereas the internal mechanisms in the Catholic Church seem focused on protecting the adult from accusation or legal reprisal.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Whereas the internal mechanisms in the Catholic Church seem focused on protecting the adult from accusation or legal reprisal.
They seem that way because of a false narrative in popular culture. One that I understand makes good tv, but that's not really the truth of it. There is no data to suggests priests are sexual predators more often than the general population, and since the media frenzy of the last 20 years, the rate is pretty indisputably lower. Out of the high number of cases that make priests look particularly bad, a substantial amount involve priests and boys above the legal age of consent. There are many cases that come out of seminaries, where the youngest students are high school age, and the age of consent most places was 16, so the only way the law was going to go after those priests was with sodomy laws, and I'm gonna guess you're not a fan of those existing. The majority of priests doing things that are actual pedophilia are both defrocked and criminally convicted, which is something you really can't say for the general population.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
They seem that way because of a false narrative in popular culture. One that I understand makes good tv, but that's not really the truth of it.
No, it's because of the numerous cover-ups facilitated by those within the Church hierarchy, the names left off lists of abusers, and the tendency to transfer abusers to different parishes after an accusation, thereby allowing abuse to continue elsewhere.

The institution of the Church is more concerned with its public image than it is with the wellbeing of its charges.

There is no data to suggests priests are sexual predators more often than the general population, and since the media frenzy of the last 20 years, the rate is pretty indisputably lower.
That's massively "disputable". Research has put the figure in the area of 4% of active clergy in the US.

Out of the high number of cases that make priests look particularly bad, a substantial amount involve priests and boys above the legal age of consent. There are many cases that come out of seminaries, where the youngest students are high school age, and the age of consent most places was 16, so the only way the law was going to go after those priests was with sodomy laws, and I'm gonna guess you're not a fan of those existing.
I'm not a fan of sexual contact between people and figures who hold authority or positions of trust over them in general.

And here in the UK, yes, the law prohibits those in a position of trust from pursuing sexual relations with someone in their care, even if they're 16 or 17. If such a stipulation doesn't exist in the US, it would seem a gross oversight, and doesn't absolve the priests seeking to exploit that position.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
But wait, there's more!

Funny how this just keeps happening with schools operated by the Catholic church. What a wacky pattern.
Those crazy Catholics, burying the dead. What a horrible and unexpected thing!

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Those crazy Catholics, burying the dead. What a horrible and unexpected thing!
You obviously don't give a rat's ass. So you can stop pretending to care or act like you understand or have empathy. If that was you or your ancestors/people you would be crying your ass off right now or whining for justice.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
You obviously don't give a rat's ass. So you can stop pretending to care or act like you understand or have empathy. If that was you or your ancestors/people you would be crying your ass off right now or whining for justice.
I don't have an exceptionally wealthy lineage. I guarantee I have ancestors in unmarked graves within the last couple centuries. Not really worried about it.
I'd have preferred the people under their care to survive the experience, personally.
I'm sure the people who buried them would also have preferred they survive. People don't typically dig mass graves gleefully. It's typically tragic and traumatizing.
Which is a bit like saying that it was really polite of that serial killer to bury his victims so the corpses don't stink up the place.
Except it really, really isn't anything like that. You're still acting like the people operating the schools were murderers, rather than the secondary victims of the policy that created the residential school system. Do you really think these people were like "We're gonna open up a boarding school, and now the government is sending us students, and they're sending us more than we can handle and some are sick and infectious and they're dying of disease in mass numbers and the government won't take the corpses from us so now we have to bury the dead... This is exactly what we were planning when we opened the school! Hooray!"