Matrix Creators Want Will Smith to Play Updated Robin Hood

RoBi3.0

Mar 29, 2009
EllEzDee said:
Diligent said:
"They've reportedly approached Will Smith, who infamously passed when they offered him the role of Neo in The Matrix. Yes, that happened. "
I actually didn't know this.

"Welcome to the real world Neo."
"AAAWWW HELLLL NO!"
I'm pretty sure it's the other way around. Smith wanted to be in the movie, and he wasn't able to pull off a convincing Neo. I remember reading about it when his wife Jada-Pinkett Smith was cast as Niobe.
EDIT: It seems wherever i read that was wrong.
"Actor Will Smith turned down the role of Neo to make Wild Wild West, due to skepticism over the film's ambitious bullet time special effects." -Wiki
I know you have rescinded your comment but come on. If Keanu Reeves could pull off Neo Will Smith would have been able to do it 100 times better. Seriously Keanu Reeves only has one emotion, and it is a shame that emotion is utter indifference to everything.

OT: I would watch it. A modern take would be cool depending on how they did it.

Electrogecko

Apr 15, 2010
Lord_Panzer said:
Elizabeth Grunewald said:
It's cuz he's black, isn't it.
Why do you think the movie is called "Hood." Probably because it takes place in an urban environment and is most likely going to have a getto/gangster twist.

Feb 13, 2008
1) Robin of Locksley was DEFINITELY not American.
2) Robin of Locksely was DEFINITELY Anglo-Saxon in origin.
3) Robin Hood was fictional and was alluded to from the 12th century to the 16th century.
4) He was from Yorkshire, and Sherwood Forest is actually in Leicestershire.

EllEzDee

Nov 29, 2010
Commander Breetai said:
Lord_Panzer said:
Elizabeth Grunewald said:
It's cuz he's black, isn't it.
No, that would be Robin Hoodie.
Oh dear God, you've reminded me of a book called "Robin the Hoodie: An ASBO history of England" or something along those lines. If you value your mental integrity, i'd suggest steering clear. If a troope of mentally incapable apes urinated on the pages of a hard backed book, it'd be a better read than that garbage.

RoBi3.0 said:
EllEzDee said:
Diligent said:
"They've reportedly approached Will Smith, who infamously passed when they offered him the role of Neo in The Matrix. Yes, that happened. "
I actually didn't know this.

"Welcome to the real world Neo."
"AAAWWW HELLLL NO!"
I'm pretty sure it's the other way around. Smith wanted to be in the movie, and he wasn't able to pull off a convincing Neo. I remember reading about it when his wife Jada-Pinkett Smith was cast as Niobe.
EDIT: It seems wherever i read that was wrong.
"Actor Will Smith turned down the role of Neo to make Wild Wild West, due to skepticism over the film's ambitious bullet time special effects." -Wiki
I know you have rescinded your comment but come on. If Keanu Reeves could pull off Neo Will Smith would have been able to do it 100 times better. Seriously Keanu Reeves only has one emotion, and it is a shame that emotion is utter indifference to everything.

OT: I would watch it. A modern take would be cool depending on how they did it.
While i don't really like Reeves, i think Neo was the one role that only he could play, and he played it perfectly. He was terrible in Revolutions though...
I wouldn't have liked Smith as any role in that film. To me, he can only play "zany" characters(please punch me in the face if i use that word again).
As for Smith as Robin Hood, well, we'll just have to see. If they can pull it off as an urban-modern version of the story it might actually be worth watching.

gl1koz3

May 24, 2010
After all, it's a tale. So why not as well him. Good performances he does.

Jezzy54

Oct 19, 2008
PayJ567 said:
Wait didn't Robin Hood have a black companion or something. Casting the main guy as black makes this ridiculously stupid.

Still will smith is good at what he does, maybe they will cake him in flour before shooting the scene.
How the hell is that a problem? And how would your suggestion be any better than casting a white guy in blackface?

Apr 17, 2009
SpiderJerusalem said:
Pallindromemordnillap said:
SpiderJerusalem said:
It's a good thing none of the people commenting above me are in any way connected to the movie business (at least on a level that produces material anyone else than their close family enjoys). A modern take on Robin Hood is not only rich with potential, but the casting of Smith - who, regardless of the useless hate that mostly young men harbor against him, is a talented and academy award nominated actor who's proven that he can handle pretty much all the roles that have been thrown at him.

I for one am intrigued for the moment.
I just can't see how it has any potential at all. Explain
Look at where the world is right now. People are angry at the banks, at the higher class, the rich are getting richer while the poor go from bad to worse, class division hasn't been this vast in a long while. While our technology is getting better, it also allows for greater guerilla tactics than ever - as anonymous have demonstrated. An anti-hero of the people, who's goal of not only sticking it to the man, but also aiding those in need is exactly what this kind of time needs and wants, a personification of that anger that many who feel betrayed by their governments need. Jason Bourne tapped into that, even if slightly.

Having someone like Will Smith, who's proven that he can portray a believable everyman-turned-hero is a terrific casting choice into the story. If the Wachovskis manage to avoid easy sneering pantomime villains and trek on those vague lines of right and wrong like in Bound and the first Matrix, there's chance of a great take on a legend so old that it's strange we haven't got something like this already in the past five years. If the 80's had the motto of Greed Is Good, it feels only right that now it's turned around to taking from the rich and giving to the poor.
You're explaining why a Robin Hood story would be good. Explain to me why it needs to be modern and why it needs to be so soon after that Ridley Scott affair.
And you're seriously comparing Anonymous to Robin Hood? Really? Anonymous gives nothing to the poor and Robin Hood uses a bow, not the internet, or guns (which will surely be the replacement they use)
Oh and Robin Hood isn't an everyman. He's a lord, technically. Robin of Loxley. He only becomes an outlaw (which, again, not really an everyman) after he gets booted out

llafnwod

Nov 9, 2007
mr_rubino said:
llafnwod said:
mr_rubino said:
Yes, he had a black companion... in an updated retelling of the story.
If by "updated retelling" you mean Men in Tights, yes, he did.
Men in Tights was a direct parody of Prince of Thieves.
And much like all of Robin's non-Merry Men sidekicks, he was just kinda pulled out of nowhere for more diversity. Then again, Friar Tuck and Maid Marian were brought in the same way.
Oh, lord, you're right. It says something about that movie that I remember the parody better than the film itself...

spacewalker

Sep 13, 2010
If we are talking modern day, stealing from a corrupt goverment or company and giving to the worker class, there are already several movies like this not named robin hood.
It really will take some doing to make this a good movie

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
esperandote said:
This just in. Will smith rejected the wachowski brothers again, they make millions with other actor, again.
I like Keanu, he's good for a laugh. But if they end up getting him instead for this movie it will be even worse.

mr_rubino

Sep 19, 2010
llafnwod said:
mr_rubino said:
llafnwod said:
mr_rubino said:
Yes, he had a black companion... in an updated retelling of the story.
If by "updated retelling" you mean Men in Tights, yes, he did.
Men in Tights was a direct parody of Prince of Thieves.
And much like all of Robin's non-Merry Men sidekicks, he was just kinda pulled out of nowhere for more diversity. Then again, Friar Tuck and Maid Marian were brought in the same way.
Oh, lord, you're right. It says something about that movie that I remember the parody better than the film itself...
I believe TV Tropes would call that The Weird Al Effect.

Kelethor

Jun 24, 2008
Now this is the story all about how my life got flipped turned upside down, and id like to take a minute just sit right there, ill tell you how I became lord of a town called Loxley,

Thaius

Mar 5, 2008
Okay, enough with the "but Robin Hood isn't black!" crap. This is a modernized adaptation. They can make Robin Hood any color they want, because the very setting isn't anywhere near that of the original. Such a minor issue is utterly meaningless under such circumstances. Besides, it's Will Freaking Smith. As long as the Wachowskis write a good script, this movie will be great with Will Smith. And unless the script is good, Will Smith won't sign on. So if he's on, it'll be good. End of story.