Matrix Creators Want Will Smith to Play Updated Robin Hood

Thaius

Mar 5, 2008
EllEzDee said:
Diligent said:
"They've reportedly approached Will Smith, who infamously passed when they offered him the role of Neo in The Matrix. Yes, that happened. "
I actually didn't know this.

"Welcome to the real world Neo."
"AAAWWW HELLLL NO!"
I'm pretty sure it's the other way around. Smith wanted to be in the movie, and he wasn't able to pull off a convincing Neo. I remember reading about it when his wife Jada-Pinkett Smith was cast as Niobe.
EDIT: It seems wherever i read that was wrong.
"Actor Will Smith turned down the role of Neo to make Wild Wild West, due to skepticism over the film's ambitious bullet time special effects." -Wiki
For one, never question Will Smith's acting abilities. I think it's a federal law or something. Especially if a favorable comparison is Keanu Reeves.

For two... Wild Wild West? I mean, really? Will Smith passed up one of the greatest action movies ever made for that pile of crap? That gives me sad...

EDIT: Whoa, two posts right after another. Sorry, don't mean to clutter it. In hindsight, probably should have just edited this into the end of my last post...

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
PayJ567 said:
Wait didn't Robin Hood have a black companion or something. Casting the main guy as black makes this ridiculously stupid.

Still will smith is good at what he does, maybe they will cake him in flour before shooting the scene.
There really isn't any reason he needs to be white, especially for a modern retelling. Very little of the modern Robin Hood story bears much resemblance to the earliest versions, so crying about them changing it would be pointless and silly.

Especially since that "black companion" was one such alteration/addition.

That said:
Ummmmm no, I mean Will Smith is a fantastic actor and all, but I just can't see him as the man in tights. Plus the Wachowskis annoy the hell out of me. Also Hood? Cthuluhu kill me now.
The King Raven trilogy, which I'm yet to fuly read because the font they use on my Kindle is horrible to my eyes, starts with a book called Hood. The name's not terrible. The ideas behind it probably are, seeing as how it's the Wachowskis, but still.

EllEzDee

Nov 29, 2010
Thaius said:
EllEzDee said:
Diligent said:
"They've reportedly approached Will Smith, who infamously passed when they offered him the role of Neo in The Matrix. Yes, that happened. "

"AAAWWW HELLLL NO!"
I'm pretty sure it's the other way around. Smith wanted to be in the movie, and he wasn't able to pull off a convincing Neo. I remember reading about it when his wife Jada-Pinkett Smith was cast as Niobe.
"Actor Will Smith turned down the role of Neo to make Wild Wild West, due to skepticism over the film's ambitious bullet time special effects." -Wiki
For one, never question Will Smith's acting abilities. I think it's a federal law or something. Especially if a favorable comparison is Keanu Reeves.

For two... Wild Wild West? I mean, really? Will Smith passed up one of the greatest action movies ever made for that pile of crap? That gives me sad...

EDIT: Whoa, two posts right after another. Sorry, don't mean to clutter it. In hindsight, probably should have just edited this into the end of my last post...
I'm sorry but WHAT DOES EVERYONE HAVE AGAINST REEVES? He's not that bad, right? Right?!
I just think that Smith is more of a fun-serious than deadly-serious actor. Reeves pulled off Neo seriously well...even if Constantine was a pile of shit, and the Speed series (there was 3 right?) was stomach-churningly bad. The only serious role i've seen Smith do is that one with his son where he lives homeless trying to get a proper job or something. It was a good film but i can't remember the name...anyways *ahem*...nah i'm done.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
When I heard 'Robin Hood' and 'Will Smith' I instantly though modernised, urban ghetto style version. Then I thought that was ridiculously generalised and I should be ashamed for thinking that. Then I read a bit more and found that to be exactly what it was.

If this film doesn't have drive bys using longbows and people holding swords gangsta style, I'm going to be very, very disappointed.

Thaius

Mar 5, 2008
EllEzDee said:
Thaius said:
EllEzDee said:
Diligent said:

"AAAWWW HELLLL NO!"

I'm sorry but WHAT DOES EVERYONE HAVE AGAINST REEVES? He's not that bad, right? Right?!
I just think that Smith is more of a fun-serious than deadly-serious actor. Reeves pulled off Neo seriously well...even if Constantine was a pile of shit, and the Speed series (there was 3 right?) was stomach-churningly bad. The only serious role i've seen Smith do is that one with his son where he lives homeless trying to get a proper job or something. It was a good film but i can't remember the name...anyways *ahem*...nah i'm done.
Will Smith has done a good job in virtually every role he's ever been in, with the exception of some of his early films. He pulls off fun-serious quite well, but he definitely does a good deadly-serious as well.

As for Reeves, he's good in the right role. Speed (the first one, the only one he was in, and the only good one) was great, and The Matrix is obviously one of the greatest sci-fi/action films ever made. But that's because he can play those roles. As one of my friend says, "He did well as Neo because Reeves is only capable of two emotions: confused and angry. And that's all Neo ever was." I don't hate him as much as many people do, but he's not a very good actor, really.

If you want a good laugh, try watching the old live-action Babes in Toyland musical. He's in it. And it's hilariously bad in every way.

thahat

Apr 23, 2008
Tim Latshaw said:
Vault Citizen said:
Why do we need a modern Robin Hood?
Have you considered becoming a Hollywood executive? Because obviously no one who currently is bothers to ask such important questions.

We don't need a modern Robin Hood. We don't need an olde Robin Hoode. We don't need any more Robin Hood movies at all. Anymore. Ever.

Now a Sly Cooper movie, on the other hand...
your comment instantly proves itsself true! since i have not the foggiest who sly cooper is XD

Apr 17, 2009
SpiderJerusalem said:
Why NOT make a modern take on the story? You're not giving any reasons yourself - I'm at least giving something to this.

Also, Robin Hood is a LEGEND, the Robin of Loxley part you're thinking of came from folk stories and lore that were never cemented as fact until Hollywood came in with their version of it - and that is about as reliable as anything put on film.

The tale of Robin Hood is most likely collected of stories of other outlaws, commoners fighting oppression and highwaymen with very good PR campaigns. He's a template that can fit any age - which is why the story is so popular century after century.

And why do you count the Ridley Scott film as something that has set the standard now, making a modern story useless? Scott told a version of the tale that had about as little to do with Robin Hood by your standards as what the Wachovski's are doing now.

You're also stuck on the old ideas of Robin Hood, unnecessarily thinking rigidly within the box and not allowing this any chances - which is funny, since you're lambasting Hollywood for not taking any chances on taking a chance with revamping this property! Here's a newsflash - nothing is or will be totally original, they're still going to be based on lore and old old material like this. The Matrix was a collection of ideas from almost every anime, philosophy book and Asian film around - yet the Wachovski's showed that they clearly had the vision to use them in a new and fresh way. Something that is more than likely to happen with Robin Hood.

But it's your turn; why NOT make a modern tale of Robin Hood? Where's the harm in bringing the story that's already been told in different ways for over 600 years?
Never cemented as fact? Pretty much all the lore comes from ballads and poems written about him the 1300/1400s. Hell, Shakespeare even makes a reference to Friar Tuck (calling him "Robin Hood's fat friar") in one of his plays. All that stuff was around long before Hollywood got there. As far as legends can get cemented in fact, Robin Hood has some pretty good foundations.

The tale of Robin Hood is the tale of Robin Hood. There are not numerous outlaws bearing the name. You're thinking of real life, where the legend probably arose from shadowy figures like Robert Hode or Richard Hodd

If you actually read my post you'd see I called the Ridley Scott film an 'affair' which rather obviously shows I didn't like it. My point there, which you missed (so you missed my opinions and my point in that paragraph, nice job with the reading there), was that that one isn't even a year old. Why do we need another one so soon?

Yes I'm stuck on the idea of old Robin Hood-because it's Robin Hood. He's a classic English folk hero. Imagine the outcry if we Brits went around messing with the Paul Bunyan story.

Okay, now you're just seeing what you want to see and putting words in my mouth. Since when did I decry the lack of originality? I know full well Hollywood has always pinched ideas from other places, like every old Disney film being a bowdlerised fairy tale. What I'm criticising is the Wachowski brothers just taking a story and 'reinterpreting' it into the modern age. It's like everything these days having to get a gritty reboot.
Especially if its the Wachowski brothers, as it happens, since I've always thought the Matrix was bland, pretentious and full of cardboard characters.

A modern interpretation of Robin Hood would, quite frankly, be terrible. You'd be taking the character out of his element and stripping away most of what made him Robin Hood. Robin Hood as a legend was born from the Norman oppression of the local Saxons (Normans ban hunting deer? Boom, Robin lives in the forest and eats deer whenever the hell he likes). He did what they couldn't do, and made a stand against foreign invaders. A modern Robin Hood, if you stuck to those same principles, wouldn't work. For a start, Will Smith in the role means it would be set in America. Where everyone is the foreign invader. Robin Hood stole from the rich. To do that in modern time Hood would have to be a bank robber, and this would turn him from roguish hero to psychopathic gunman. Congratulations, you've ruined the character as effectively as that proposed film that made the sheriff the good guy

theaceplaya

Jul 20, 2009
This could be cool. I like Will Smith. That doesn't mean I'm not aware that everything he's in is gold (Legend of Bagger Vance)

mr_rubino

Sep 19, 2010
Pallindromemordnillap said:
SpiderJerusalem said:
Why NOT make a modern take on the story? You're not giving any reasons yourself - I'm at least giving something to this.

Also, Robin Hood is a LEGEND, the Robin of Loxley part you're thinking of came from folk stories and lore that were never cemented as fact until Hollywood came in with their version of it - and that is about as reliable as anything put on film.

The tale of Robin Hood is most likely collected of stories of other outlaws, commoners fighting oppression and highwaymen with very good PR campaigns. He's a template that can fit any age - which is why the story is so popular century after century.

And why do you count the Ridley Scott film as something that has set the standard now, making a modern story useless? Scott told a version of the tale that had about as little to do with Robin Hood by your standards as what the Wachovski's are doing now.

You're also stuck on the old ideas of Robin Hood, unnecessarily thinking rigidly within the box and not allowing this any chances - which is funny, since you're lambasting Hollywood for not taking any chances on taking a chance with revamping this property! Here's a newsflash - nothing is or will be totally original, they're still going to be based on lore and old old material like this. The Matrix was a collection of ideas from almost every anime, philosophy book and Asian film around - yet the Wachovski's showed that they clearly had the vision to use them in a new and fresh way. Something that is more than likely to happen with Robin Hood.

But it's your turn; why NOT make a modern tale of Robin Hood? Where's the harm in bringing the story that's already been told in different ways for over 600 years?
Never cemented as fact? Pretty much all the lore comes from ballads and poems written about him the 1300/1400s. Hell, Shakespeare even makes a reference to Friar Tuck (calling him "Robin Hood's fat friar") in one of his plays. All that stuff was around long before Hollywood got there. As far as legends can get cemented in fact, Robin Hood has some pretty good foundations.

The tale of Robin Hood is the tale of Robin Hood. There are not numerous outlaws bearing the name. You're thinking of real life, where the legend probably arose from shadowy figures like Robert Hode or Richard Hodd

If you actually read my post you'd see I called the Ridley Scott film an 'affair' which rather obviously shows I didn't like it. My point there, which you missed (so you missed my opinions and my point in that paragraph, nice job with the reading there), was that that one isn't even a year old. Why do we need another one so soon?

Yes I'm stuck on the idea of old Robin Hood-because it's Robin Hood. He's a classic English folk hero. Imagine the outcry if we Brits went around messing with the Paul Bunyan story.

Okay, now you're just seeing what you want to see and putting words in my mouth. Since when did I decry the lack of originality? I know full well Hollywood has always pinched ideas from other places, like every old Disney film being a bowdlerised fairy tale. What I'm criticising is the Wachowski brothers just taking a story and 'reinterpreting' it into the modern age. It's like everything these days having to get a gritty reboot.
Especially if its the Wachowski brothers, as it happens, since I've always thought the Matrix was bland, pretentious and full of cardboard characters.

A modern interpretation of Robin Hood would, quite frankly, be terrible. You'd be taking the character out of his element and stripping away most of what made him Robin Hood. Robin Hood as a legend was born from the Norman oppression of the local Saxons (Normans ban hunting deer? Boom, Robin lives in the forest and eats deer whenever the hell he likes). He did what they couldn't do, and made a stand against foreign invaders. A modern Robin Hood, if you stuck to those same principles, wouldn't work. For a start, Will Smith in the role means it would be set in America. Where everyone is the foreign invader. Robin Hood stole from the rich. To do that in modern time Hood would have to be a bank robber, and this would turn him from roguish hero to psychopathic gunman. Congratulations, you've ruined the character as effectively as that proposed film that made the sheriff the good guy
Is it an odd coincidence that, after I figured out you were English and thus just ravenously defending Robin Hood's honor out of some warped sense of national pride, but before I fully read through your post, I was already thinking "Honestly, we're not this protective of Paul Bunyan or Betsy Ross."? Because they're fictional characters based on archetypes (or may as well be for all we know about the "real" people behind the myths).
And of course Paul Bunyan is just another giant, so if you expect him to be "modernized", you might want to start throwing some ideas out before you make weak analogies.

Apr 17, 2009
mr_rubino said:
Is it an odd coincidence that, after I figured out you were English and thus just ravenously defending Robin Hood's honor out of some warped sense of national pride, but before I fully read through your post, I was already thinking "Honestly, we're not this protective of Paul Bunyan or Betsy Ross."? Because they're fictional characters based on archetypes (or may as well be for all we know about the "real" people behind the myths).
And of course Paul Bunyan is just another giant, so if you expect him to be "modernized", you might want to start throwing some ideas out before you make weak analogies.
I am not against all adaption, I am against crap adaption. I thoroughly enjoyed the Sherlock Holmes movie, and took great glee in spotting bits taken from the books.
A modern take on Robin Hood would not be that.

And if you can take a character who fights with sword and bow, lives in a forest and fights against a corrupt monarch into the modern (American) world then you can fit a giant