Matrix Online Goes Out With Style

Halfbreed13

Apr 21, 2009
Jumplion said:
Matrix Online, I salut thee.

*Salutes*

More failing MMOs should what Tabula Rasa and The Matrix did, it makes it feel more....I dunno, special or something.
I join in on this salute.
It of course is probably sad for the people who liked the game, but I respect Sony Online for handling the situation how it did.

Bobby_C

Feb 21, 2008
It's an old MMO tradition. Ultima Online's final beta was overrun by demons and fell prey to armageddon.

Frapple

Sep 7, 2007
I remember that, me and my friends all got one shot by a green dragon.

World of Warcraft Beta ended with Onyxia attacking Orgrimmar, was quite as the highest level was about 40.

Grayl

Jun 9, 2009
Good for Sony to make the death of an MMO an event.

It's just a shame that it wasn't good enough to last, like most of Sony's MMORPGs...

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Bobby_C said:
It's an old MMO tradition. Ultima Online's final beta was overrun by demons and fell prey to armageddon.
Guild Wars' beta ended with monsters and a cute little girl Gwen casting "Spontantenous Combustion" at people while spouting pop references and cute/scary lines like "Mommy told me not to play with fire. But mommy is dead."

There are still remains of that skill in game's data.

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
Though later patches improved things a bit, it was always a tad too kludgy - sticky and rubberbandy even at its best. The combat mechanism was quite novel - it really could have been something if they had another few months of development before release.

USSR

Probably your average communist.
Oct 4, 2008
vivaldiscool said:
:( I was planning on trying this out someday.
Come now, let us both cry in sorrow at our missed MMO.

*cries*

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
It made me kinda sad to see they were going to die when I read the article about it a month or so ago. Always wanted to try the game out but there was no free trial or anything for it, so I just opted to stay away.

If there was a free trial it was hidden away somewhere within the deepest bowls of the internet that not even google could find.

R.I.P Matrix Online, I never knew ye.

Jeronus

Nov 14, 2008
I find it wierd that a company would turn its failure into something that people can enjoy. Most companies wouldn't waste anymore time or money on a dying project. It is like putting firecrackers on a dying plant. It may seem entertaining but from a business standpoint it is a waste of firecrackers.

asiepshtain

Apr 28, 2008
If only they put that much creativity and flavour into it all the time, wouldn't have failed then.

not a zaar

Dec 16, 2008
I'm surprised the game lasted this long, it seemed to drop off the radar on launch day.

messy

Dec 3, 2008
Can't wait to see how WoW "go out in style" probably break the internet

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
asiepshtain said:
If only they put that much creativity and flavour into it all the time, wouldn't have failed then.
This post made my day.

It's surprising that A Matrix MMO could fail so badly, the whole idea of The Matrix fits perfectly into the genre, it must have been pretty bad.