McDonald's Attacked For "Horrifying" Marvel Happy Meals

OceanRunner

Mar 18, 2009
This is a classic example of Political Paranoia (P.C gone mad). The CCFC are added to my enemies list.

wadark

Dec 22, 2007
While this is a totally insane stance to take, I have always laughed a little inside when I see the Happy Meals (only served to ages 10 and under) give away toys like Transformers tied to the movie which is rated PG-13.

I don't think its gonna turn kids into rampaging psychopaths, but it is a little odd.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
I fully support this organizations underlying core principle. I think our children should be protected from commercial life. However, I wanna know where is my protection from commercial life? Not that I personally need it because I basically just ignore advertising, but ive seen sooooo many people who get suckered into it.

Seriously Its time to make a stand. We need to end the horrors that this corporate machination does on all humanity. Quick, rally your friends together, bring your posterboard, and markers so we can have a protest rally.

What, you dont have those you say? Uhm.. can you pick some up? What do you mean you dont know which to buy? what ever is cheapest. What? whaddya mean which store do you buy it from? whatever is clo... BAH! forget it, im wasting my breath.

/end hallucinatory conversation.

Croaker42

Feb 5, 2009
I really feel that this CCFC thing needs to be brought to the attention of some of those less reputable websites...... the kind that is populated by people little to no moral guiding.

More OT: I am surprised that we now have an organization dedicated to letting parents squarely place the blame for their bad decisions on "Marketing".

1. If you don't want your kids to have it, don?t give it to them.
2. If you don't like what?s on TV change the channel. (DVRs can take out commercials)
3. Take responsibility for what your children are exposed to. You are the filter and will be so for many years.
Note: Never mind that filtering absolutely every aspect of a child?s life can have extremely damaging results. (Backlash, Underdevelopment)

*RAGE* *RAGE* *RAGE*

Timotei

The Return of T-Bomb
Apr 21, 2009
Why throw a shit fit over this? Seriously.

The biggest problem I've ever had with McDonald's toy endorsements is with Transformers due to them endorsing any work by Michael Bay.

Aug 26, 2008
Maybe they should ask the kids.

"LOOK AT HIM JAMES HES ON FIRE, ARENT YOU TERRIFIED?"

"Dad? What are you talki-"

"YOUR MIND HAS BEEN DESTROYED BY VIOLENCE"

fullbleed

Apr 30, 2008
When first read the headline I kind of thought "What is it, Marvel Zombies?"

That would be cool and horrifying!

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Bluesclues said:
arc1991 said:
Bluesclues said:
arc1991 said:
Bluesclues said:
Stone Wera said:
arc1991 said:
Stone Wera said:
I swear this is going to become most commented...
Agree'd, bring on the 20 pages of furry!
I hope you mean fury.
Also, since when does agreed have an apostrophe? =P

OT: This lowers my perception of my country by -20 points...
I was typing fast =( leave me alone ='(

hehe

Lol I'm sorry! I don't mean to poke fun, haha =D

Hehe joking XD i accept your apology =P haha

Well I don't like to brag but...xD
Haha, take it as a compliment! ;)

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
I understand their logic even if I disagree with it. It's a pretty typical stance actually, the belief that if children are totally sheltered from violence and the darkness of the world that violence and darkness will disappear when they grow up without those engrained ideals. These are people who pretty much believe there is no such thing as ingrained instincts, and that everything is a learned behavior.

This is simply a group argueing this platform/idealogy on a higher level than you usually see it. Rather than the occasional daytime TV rant, pamphlet, or guest speakers at a PTA meeting, you have their voice being heard in national level media.

Chances are most of us growing up ran into kids raised by parents who wouldn't let the kids have "violent toys" like toy guns, GI Joes, or He-Man. As a result those kids wound up being ostracized without anyone to play with, developed emotional problems in many cases, and otherwise had problems. This is pretty much those parents speaking their mind, thinking they did a good job, or those with a similar naive mentality. Think of it as 60s "Summer Of Love" rhetoric being adapted to actual child rearing.

The people argueing this point would also argue against comic books, and other super hero programs, pointing at the violence in society as the "obvious result". While typically not running point, these are the kinds of people who have been involved not only in current issues like video games, but have also attacked things like Rock Music for violent and sexual lyrics, and comic book violence in the past. The "Comics Code Authority" which has thankfully died was the results of earlier efforts very similar to this.

I see nothing wrong with action or violence, it's part of human nature, and part of how we are wired. It's something we need to understand and control, but not somehting we need to try and nessicarly supress or get rid of since it's an important part of our species long term survival (a whole differant discussion can lead off of this).

What's more, the problem with this philisophy is that even if one was to argue that it's morally correct on most levels, it's impractical to implement it unless the entire world does it at the same time. "The Price Of Freedom is Eternal Vigilance" is very much true, while people in the US and the Western World like to be very self reflective and critical of our own actions, people who make this point are typically naive about how other parts of the world actually are, there are cultures out there that are not driven by reason and extremely xenophobic, not to mention others that simply want to dominate the world and put their own ethnicity or culture in charge. Countries like China and Russia and cultures like that in The Middle East are not going to suddenly stop being militant, aggressive, and/or xenophobic because the US declares itself a group of pacifists. They aren't going to put flowers in their hair and join hands with everyone like a hippy drug vision. Rather they are going to kill/conquer us, and then start in on each other.

Once we achieve a world unity, which will doubtlessly involve a lot of violence (though most of the work will be done through the spread of ideas) I think there will be more room to make sensible arguements for pacificm, though since it won't be a utopia and freedom will always mean a degree of danger (and the right to disagree with the ideal of pacifism) I doubt it will ever be globally embraced, nor should it be. Whenever I hear arguements like the ones made above I tend to think about the beginning of Larry Niven's "Man-Kzin Wars"... where people like this dominated, and everyone on the planet was a pacifist hippy. The conquering feline aliens showed up and did pretty well until humans decided to re-embrace their warlike nature and demonstrate how ridiculously good at it we were to the so called "ultimate warrior race".

While making current social policy off the potential existance of extraterrestrials isn't a good idea, I think in the long term it's not something that should be forgotten. A lot of people laugh about "little green men" and so on, and for the most part it's kind of ridiculous, however I've seen it proven mathematically that we are without a doubt not alone in the universe. I doubt "they" are visiting us now, but I think it's inevitable that we will contact another sentinent species even if it's centuries or millenia down the road. Simply the possibility means that we should not entirely pacify our species just in case we run into something that isn't friendly.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
fullbleed said:
When first read the headline I kind of thought "What is it, Marvel Zombies?"

That would be cool and horrifying!
Zombie Hulk would be the worst! O_O or Wolverine O_O

Gerhardt

May 21, 2010
Taken from Wikipedia:

The Fantastic Four is a fictional superhero team appearing in comic books published by Marvel Comics. The group debuted in The Fantastic Four #1 (November 1961)
The group debuted in The Fantastic Four #1 (November 1961)
(November 1961)
It really took these guys 49 years to realize that the guy called The Human Torch is a-flame? This is the kind of shit that makes us look like a joke to the rest of the world.

robotam

Jun 7, 2010
Won't someone think of the children.
alot of these Arseholes at the CCFG are parents. At times like these I'm always reminded of the Blame Canada song from South Park

"We must blame them and cause a fuss
Before somebody thinks of blaming uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuus!!!!"

TheNoirGuy

Feb 24, 2008
I find it really funny that no one on this campaign has done their research and found that McDonalds has been giving away marvel-themed superheroes before. They don't remember spiderman and hulk toys back in the 90's? It's just sad is what it is.

http://www.mcjans.com/images/toys/95spiderman.jpg

I mean if they had gears of war toys, maybe. But seriously. c'mon.

philzibit

May 25, 2009
If anyone has seen these toys (obviously the CCFC hasn't) they all have this cutesy, kid friendly look to them. Some people just won't be happy until kids play with mud.