ME3 ending is it really that bad?

Magicduck

Mar 30, 2011
So... I think I'm one of the lucky ones who hasn't finished ME3 yet, I'm taking my time, and just getting my MP character up now. But by the sounds of it the ending sounds like it ruins the entire game, so I'm actually seriously debating turning off the game 10 mins before *it happens* and watching a fan made ending. Opinions? Because so far I'm loving everything, Rannoch was especially awesome.

Edit: No Spoilers please :D

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
It's terrible. It really is. Going to be as spoiler free as I can, but I say that you should pretend the game ends before Hackett says his last lines in the game to you. That makes it so much better if it ends there.

Indecipherable

Mar 21, 2010
It was so atrocious that at first I refused to watch the ending cinematic. I actually was stunned at how bad the game changed things that I Alt-F4'd out in disgust. The last few minutes of the game totally ruined it. Finally I did get around to watching the cinematic, and it made it even worse. Simply appalling.

Rivenart

Feb 1, 2012
I read the leaked summaries and it didn't prepare me for how bad they actually are to witness.

Still Life

Sep 22, 2010
CmRet said:
I liked the ending I got. I thought it was fitting and a very good ending to Shepherd's story. Especially the scene after the credits. I loved it and I felt completely satisfied with the ending.
I agree.

I was upset, but satisfied and challenged in a way that I haven't been in any other game. It was a journey that got me relating back to real world issues and sacrifice.

Mathak

The Tax Man Cometh
Mar 27, 2009
It was bad. What made it even worse was that the whole game up to those final 5 minutes was absolutely brilliant. It's like those last 5 minutes were done by the same people who did the DE:HR bossfights or something.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Terrible. It left me with more questions than anything else. And all 3 decisions end with the same ending. That's just pure laziness on Biowares part. SO yes it really was that bad 3 games down the toliet.

Magicduck

Mar 30, 2011
CmRet said:
I liked the ending I got. I thought it was fitting and a very good ending to Shepherd's story. Especially the scene after the credits. I loved it and I felt completely satisfied with the ending.
What did you get with your war assests? Because I fully intend to get my readiness to 100%, import my MP character AND do as many side quests as I can. Basically I've also heard that the ending isn't AS bad if you get the 'perfect one', I've already been spoilt that shepard dies, but I predicted/expected that anyway. What gets me worried the most is that there's apparently no closure, I'm picturing at least some epilogue scene where Liara (Or your romance) pays her respects or w/e.

Indecipherable

Mar 21, 2010
Magicduck said:
CmRet said:
What did you get with your war assests? Because I fully intend to get my readiness to 100%, import my MP character AND do as many side quests as I can. Basically I've also heard that the ending isn't AS bad if you get the 'perfect one', I've already been spoilt that shepard dies, but I predicted/expected that anyway. What gets me worried the most is that there's apparently no closure, I'm picturing at least some epilogue scene where Liara (Or your romance) pays her respects or w/e.
This is roughly what happens, without absolutely directly saying it...

Imagine playing a game for ~100 hours and in the final 5 minutes they introduce a new character who speaks utter nonsense and gives you an arbitrary choice of 3 things which give the same result anyway. Not only does it have a dozen plot holes (some invalidating the entire of ME1) but you also discover now that every action you ever did is now pointless, for a variety of reasons. When people say they have no interest in replaying it, it's because it doesn't matter what you do. Your choices are irrelevant.

WoW Killer

Mar 3, 2012
To be fair, most games have badly written stories. ME3 isn't the first game to have an Etch-a-sketch ending. I think the reaction here is partly because of more general feelings of distaste towards Bioware/EA, and partly because ME's story up to that point is actually quite good (for a game, anyway), and the ending is of a lesser standard than people were expecting.

Captcha: "tickled pink"? What are trying to tell me Captcha?

Indecipherable

Mar 21, 2010
WoW Killer said:
To be fair, most games have badly written stories. ME3 isn't the first game to have an Etch-a-sketch ending. I think the reaction here is partly because of more general feelings of distaste towards Bioware/EA, and partly because ME's story up to that point is actually quite good (for a game, anyway), and the ending is of a lesser standard than people were expecting.

Captcha: "tickled pink"? What are trying to tell me Captcha?
It was a simply incredible story with characters you can feel for. It also tackled some fantastic issues like the right to life for synthetics, if they have a soul/independance or not, if it's okay to sterilise an entire species to win a war. For the sake of the profanity filter I won't state my exact feelings on the ending, but let's just say it doesn't matter what you do, ever.

Buzz Killington_v1legacy

Likes Good Stories About Bridges
Aug 8, 2009
Magicduck said:
What did you get with your war assests? Because I fully intend to get my readiness to 100%, import my MP character AND do as many side quests as I can.
SPOILER (okay, not really): It's not gonna matter. Even if you get the "less bad" ending, it's fundamentally the same as the others with the exception of a palette swap and a few extra seconds of cutscene.

What gets me worried the most is that there's apparently no closure, I'm picturing at least some epilogue scene where Liara (Or your romance) pays her respects or w/e.

Welcome to Closure Town, population zero.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Before I had finished it, I was wondering as well "Is it that bad? Surely it's not as bad as people say"

Now I have, yes it is that bad. Especially after the excellence of the whole series, to end it like that, was just plain bad.

The Abhorrent

May 7, 2011
The ending of Mass Effect 3 isn't as horrible as people are making it out to be, but it certainly is a bit of a curveball. It's pretty clear that the ending is meant to be thought-provoking and polarizing, a case of where the only answer is the player's own interpretation. The lack of closure only enhances this effect, Bioware deliberately denied us an answer so that we can find one for ourselves. Bioware gave Mass Effect the ending players needed, not the one they wanted. Or something.

Understandably, some people aren't taking this well.

---

If I were to compare the ending to something else in media, it would be Neon Genesis Evangelion. Structurally in a sense, perhaps even thematically, absolutely in terms of how fans are reacting to it. The endings to NGE and ME3 both lack closure, but both are powerful and unforgettable.

Love it or hate it, there's no denying the ending to Mass Effect 3 made you feel something. It could be rage against the creators, confusion, or strange sort sumblime bliss from going all meta on it.

The players are left to decide what the ending means... for themselves.

Madkipz

Apr 25, 2009
The Abhorrent said:
The ending of Mass Effect 3 isn't as horrible as people are making it out to be, but it certainly is a bit of a curveball. It's pretty clear that the ending is meant to be thought-provoking and polarizing, a case of where the only answer is the player's own interpretation. The lack of closure only enhances this effect, Bioware deliberately denied us an answer so that we can find one for ourselves. Bioware gave Mass Effect the ending people needed, not the one they wanted. Bioware gave Mass Effect the ending players needed, not the one they wanted. Or something.

Understandably, some people aren't taking this well.

---

If I were to compare the ending to something else in media, it would be Neon Genesis Evangelion. Structurally in a sense, perhaps even thematically, absolutely in terms of how fans are reacting to it. The endings to NGE and ME3 both lack closure, but both are powerful and unforgettable.

Love it or hate it, there's no denying the ending to Mass Effect 3 made you feel something. It could be rage against the creators, confusion, or strange sort sumblime bliss from going all meta on it.

The players are left to decide what the ending means... for themselves.
The ending left me hollow, with no desire to purchase anything mass effect related. Ever. How is that even remotely good for the developer?