octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Shutdown sequence overridden.

Critical Target Inspected.

Proceed to dustoff zone for extraction.

I'm in.

TheBelgianGuy

Aug 29, 2010
I am so dissapointed. Frickin' multiplayer again. Might as well just admit they're too lazy to write a story line and an AI.

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
Erana said:
Major Tom said:
Did it explode? I can remember kitting out one particular mech with 4 or so PPCs in Mech2.
What Did PPC even stand for? I always called it the "Pyro Pixel Cannon," and everyone I knew who played MW2/Mercs had silly nicknames for it like "Puzzled Penguin Chute" or "Pumpkin Pie Cannon."

Did everyone do that, or are my IRL friends just weird?
PewPewControl?

Personally, I'll stick with MW4:Merc until MW5 is released. Not interested in F2P games, and I just recently discovered my MW4: Vengeance and Black Knights game discs as well as M.Commander 2 :)

BroJing

Sep 16, 2010
redisforever said:
...fine!

I loved Mechassault 2, and I think I have Mechwarrior 4 somewhere.
Not to ruin your cherished memories but I hope and pray this is nothing like Mechassault because those games sucked majorly.

The Mechwarrior titles were much more about creating your own mech and going toe to toe in big armoured battles...not running around in a crappy arcade game with a metal soundtrack from some 13 year old garage band and *GETTING OUT OF YOUR MECH* (most hated part of that game) to destroy some silly tower.

I have a PPC to do that, leave my mech alone.

TheAmazingHobo

Oct 26, 2010
shintakie10 said:
They can easily go the route of League of Legends. You can buy different skins and whatnot (probably decal slots or somethin in Mechwarrior) and champions (mechs in mechwarriors case), but if they're serious about makin sure that there is some semblance of balance between a tiny little Raven and a massive Daishi (give me a Daishi over a Awesome any day), bein able to buy heavier mechs shouldn't be that large of an advantage over earnin them naturally or becomin extremely good with a lighter mech.
I feel this would very much be the optimal choice.
Get equipment in-game, get mechs by either paying for them or earning them very slowly in-game.
Ultimately, the only advantage of paying players would be in variety and cosmetics.
And you know what, I wouldn´t even mind having p2p-exclusive mechs, as long as they are balanced and get people to spent money on the game to keep it going.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Nice move making it free.
It's been a while since I've played a mechwarrior game (or just a good mech game at all) but I'm sure I'll check this out.
I hope this one really stretches perspective: buildings & bystanders.

Chucky99999

Nov 9, 2009
I didn't think I live long enough to see this announcement, please God don't let them screw this up!

I so miss the netmech/mercnet days, mw3 was ok, just buggy and poorly supported.

Battle tech 3025 looked promising but EA killed it.

MW4 was such a derr.... must think Happy thoughts! must think Happy thoughts!

redisforever

Oct 5, 2009
BroJing said:
redisforever said:
...fine!

I loved Mechassault 2, and I think I have Mechwarrior 4 somewhere.
Not to ruin your cherished memories but I hope and pray this is nothing like Mechassault because those games sucked majorly.

The Mechwarrior titles were much more about creating your own mech and going toe to toe in big armoured battles...not running around in a crappy arcade game with a metal soundtrack from some 13 year old garage band and *GETTING OUT OF YOUR MECH* (most hated part of that game) to destroy some silly tower.

I have a PPC to do that, leave my mech alone.
I agree that the soundtrack was crap, and the parts outside your mech were annoying as all hell, but I did really like the mech vs. mech battles in multiplayer. That was really my introduction to the series, and I'd love to create my own mech online, and fight people.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Saulkar said:
That was an Atlas.
DOH!

I knew that. Seriously, I did. I've actually been talking about it with a couple of guys on Twitter. We all agreed, near the end of the pre-release ISN campaign, that it was an Atlas. The first piece of concept art even says Atlas!

My fingers have a mind of their own sometimes.

Although in my defense, bad things happen when you face off against an Awesome, too.

(News post is changed, btw. Thanks for letting me know.)

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
I haven't played any Mechwarrior games since the beta for Mercenaries, which I got into thanks to my membership in a certain ass-kicking Netmech Registry outfit. I loved Mechwarrior 2 - we're talking top-ten all-time favourite material here - but I got away from the franchise after that "Unseen" business took away most of the mechs I knew and loved. And based on what I read, it was a good time to get away, because it apparently hit the shitter pretty hard after Activision lost the IP rights.

I did play the original Mech Commander, actually. Didn't like it.

I haven't got a definitive answer on the single-player situation yet. I've asked, the nice PR people say more information is coming, more information did come this morning but it's basically a rehash of what we already know. At this point it looks like SP is out, but the fact that nobody is committing to it - they're dodging what should be a fairly simple question, especially if the answer is "no" - has me thinking that maybe we'll get some kind of SP campaign after all. It's extremely unlikely for a free-to-play game, but I'm an eternal optimist.

And on that note, a special message to Piranha: I will happily pay for a new single-player Mechwarrior. Seriously, just take my money.

LazyAza

May 28, 2008
Erana said:
Major Tom said:
Did it explode? I can remember kitting out one particular mech with 4 or so PPCs in Mech2.
What Did PPC even stand for? I always called it the "Pyro Pixel Cannon," and everyone I knew who played MW2/Mercs had silly nicknames for it like "Puzzled Penguin Chute" or "Pumpkin Pie Cannon."

Particle Projection Cannon is what it stands for.

And holy crap do I hope this game turns out good, to say I'm a fan of the battltech universe would be a HUGE understatement lol. I can name almost all the mechs off my head. The three they've shown so far being the Atlas, Jaggermech and Hunchback. I'm glad they've stuck to the original designs but restyled them to suit their game. Weird that the Timberwolf isn't one of the first they've shown art of, I mean, it's not like its the most iconic mech of the whole damn franchise or anything... >_>

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
TheBelgianGuy said:
I am so dissapointed. Frickin' multiplayer again. Might as well just admit they're too lazy to write a story line and an AI.
If you read the Dev Blog 0, they had a whole storyline and everything set up, but legal issues killed that and they decided to scrap it and go F2P Multiplayer. Who knows, depending on how well this does and how the physics with the urban warfare turn out, they may end up making a single-player campaign.

OT: I've never played a Mechwarrior game in my life. I've never touched a Battletech game either. However, I've always been slightly interested. This being F2P has really piqued my interest and gotten me extremely excited. Can anyone point me to a mechwarrior wiki or some site/database where I can completely catch up on lore and everything in a fairly quick manner?

mostov

Oct 15, 2009
It is about time that this franchise came back. Although I do have some concerns about the gameplay as the developers have pitched it.
After all, all the previous titles basically played the "get to the heaviest first" theme. How are they going to balance all the different weight classes? even with roles (scout, support etc.), they can easily be some really big disparity in the combat there, unless they put in some heavy limitations on the assault class.

Normandyfoxtrot

Feb 17, 2011
LazyAza said:
Erana said:
Major Tom said:

Particle Projection Cannon is what it stands for.

And holy crap do I hope this game turns out good, to say I'm a fan of the battltech universe would be a HUGE understatement lol. I can name almost all the mechs off my head. The three they've shown so far being the Atlas, Jaggermech and Hunchback. I'm glad they've stuck to the original designs but restyled them to suit their game. Weird that the Timberwolf isn't one of the first they've shown art of, I mean, it's not like its the most iconic mech of the whole damn franchise or anything... >_>
It's a pre-clan invasion game that's why didn't use the timber wolf, of the 3025 IS 'mechs the atlas is probably the most well know. Err, discounting the los 'mechs anyway.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
While it's unfortunate that the already interesting single-player story had to be thrown out, I'm actually kind of excited for this. It has the potential to deliver a much broader Battletech experience, where as the Mechwarrior games have always been somewhat limited in scope.

Imagine for instance after a solid year of fighting and capturing planets from each other, all the factions are then faced with a clan invasion. Do you try to fight around it and cease opportunities while enemies are tangling with the clan or stand together for once to drive them off?

godofallu

Jun 8, 2010
You lost me at F2P, you regained my at not pay to win.

I can't wait to unload as many PPC's as possible into my opponents cockpit. It will be so Awesome.

TheSapphireKnight

I hate Dire Wolves...
Dec 4, 2008
Aw man, I'm glad Mechwarrior is coming back but I want clan tech. Mad Cat Mk II FTW. I hope that reboot gets off the ground so we can get back to that point.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Zer_ said:
Nope, Timberwolf is a Clan mech. This new game takes place before the clan invasions.
The game's (now) going to be set in 3049 and the devs are hoping to advance the timeline in real time, 2011 is 3048, 2012 and release day will be 3049 and providing all goes to plan 2013 will be 3050... and we all know what happens in 3050!

On the site FAQ their response to the Clans question is simply : ;)