Mechwarrior Reboot Still Rebooting

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Mechwarrior Reboot Still Rebooting

Russ Bullock of Piranha Games says the Mechwarrior reboot revealed more than two years ago is alive and kicking.

Mechwarrior fans got some exciting news [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/93031-New-Mechwarrior-Confirmed-UPDATED] back in July 2009. A reboot of the classic game franchise was announced, being developed by Piranha Games in conjunction with Jordan Weisman, founder of FASA and creator of the original Battletech RPG. Set in the closing years of the Third Succession War, the game promised to bring back many of the classic mechs, like the Jenner, Warhammer and Atlas, that were lost to the franchise because of potential problems with licensing.

But after that initial announcement, everything went disturbingly quiet. No trailers were released, no screens posted, not even an occasional reminder that it was still in the works made it to the surface, leading some fans to wonder if the whole thing had fallen apart. Luckily, it would seem that's not the case.

"Hang in there #MechWarrior fans, but take a deep breath it may be another month or so," Piranha Games President Russ Bullock recently preceding tweet [http://twitter.com/#!/russ_bullock/status/118772841159204865] that there are no licensing issues with Microsoft over the IP, "just some constraints to work within."

The MechWarrior [http://www.piranha-games.com/MechWarrior.html] series," it says. "Gamers will pilot a deadly BattleMech and use information warfare to dominate a dynamic-destructive urban battlefield. The game features include classic and new mechs from the BattleTech universe with persistent character development and plans for a single player campaign, as well as, co-op, and multiplayer gameplay."

Here's hoping for some good news - in a month or so.

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
Ohhh, it's still alive? Goody!
I sure hope to hell I can get my hands on a nice Crab or Deimos. Preferably both.
I need a new Battletech game, the older ones can't keep me occupied anymore >.>
Can't wait to hear the news next month. Who knows, maybe it'll be more than just some news.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
Here's to hoping that it will be a proper Mechwarrior game instead of that arcade bullcrap from the classic Xbox.

Jaeger_CDN

Aug 9, 2010
Woo Hoo!!

Been a huge fan of the BT series since BT:Crescent Hawk's Inception

Never really got into the table games but have all the novels and PC games. I saw the initial trailers way back when it vanished from the radar just as quick, glad to see it hasn't died because of recession

Still remember playing Mechwarrior 3 with my forcefeed back sidewinder that took over most of my desk space but bucked so lovely in my hands when shooting Ac/20s

toomuchnothing

Jul 5, 2010
Would be so nice to hear "Reactor online, sensors online, weapons online. All systems nominal" from inside the cockpit of an Atlas again.

Azex

Jan 17, 2011
<3 TimberWolf...anyone remember the old cartoon? "Initiate enhanced imaging!" :D

theonecookie

Apr 14, 2009
Wonder if big game hunting with the puma is still viable

Anyway good news its not dead i was looking forward to this

JPArbiter

Oct 14, 2010
Greyfox105 said:
Ohhh, it's still alive? Goody!
I sure hope to hell I can get my hands on a nice Crab or Deimos. Preferably both.
the crab is an outside Possibility, but the Deimos was built by Clan SNow Raven after the Wars of Reving to revive their shatter Touman in 3080. you will not see it in the 3rd Succession War

what we WILL likely see is the inclusion of the so called "Age of War Mechs" produced by Catalyst game Labs for the Battletech Sourcebook "Technical Read Out 3075" These were Mechs created using the Introductory rules set (the most basic weapons and equipment)and provided some pretty awesome machines to spice up succession wars play.

You had things like the heavy hitting but slow for the class Firebee and Icarus, the "What is a Warhammer" Battleaxe and Hammerhands (fluffed as warhammer precursors, and both more awesome then the classic) the scary as hell 100 ton Quad Xanthos, or the flying missile boat Crossbow.

any of those "New" mechs would be great additions, and I personally would love to see the Hammerhands introduced as the Ultimate machine in the game. sure it is not 100 tons of Skull grinned awesome like that Atlas, but that is because it does not need to be to take said Atlas down.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
As long as I can punt people from a mile away with Gauss Rifles I'm happy.

But only with a Timberwolf, with plenty of missile racks on board too... and a couple of medium laser just in case...

Grey_Focks

Jan 12, 2010
.....this news has made my day. Honestly just knowing that it's still a thing is enough...for now. Oh, I miss the days of romping around in my old Atlas, getting close to enemies as possible then unloading and killing them in about 3 seconds....good times.

Avaholic03

May 11, 2009
Waaghpowa said:
Andy Chalk said:
Here's to hoping that it will be a proper Mechwarrior game instead of that arcade bullcrap from the classic Xbox.
No kidding, what a disappointment that was. No customization. Dumb and short story. Horribly balanced multiplayer. And it looked pretty bad even under xbox standards.

antidonkey

Dec 10, 2009
This news has made my pants shocking tight and uncomfortable in the front. I did so enjoy the mechwarrior series back in the day. I eagerly await whatever is coming in a month.

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
SODAssault said:
The real question is, how many heavy gauss rifles are they going to let me cram in a Daishi?
As long as I can PPC spam, I will be a happy little Awesome (what a great name for an awesome mech!).

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Hmm, this looks pretty interesting, I wonder if they will try and go all arcadie like the xbox mech games or if its gonna be more simulation like the old pc games, I hope more simulation.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
It would be orgasmic to get behind the controls of a fully armed Jupiter and lay waste to the opposition. Wait, when were Jupiters first produced?

Wuffykins

Jun 21, 2010
Hmm, looks like I can shake my fist at Harmony Gold just a little slower now thanks to this news, though I have a feeling the reason it's back on track is due to the game being a couple of mechs short now.

... nah, I'll keep it shaking just as is. If they're going to be all sue happy with their "property" they might as well do something with it themselves.

[note: Am totally a Macross fan for the record, and am still having issues about HG's antics about it]

Edit: Oops, got myself up to speed and noticed a previous tweet about HG not being the issue. So, umm, hoorays for game being on track!