Mediocrity Scrolls Online

Andrew_C

Mar 1, 2011
Daystar Clarion said:
gigastar said:
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
Jandau said:
The worst thing about ES:O is that while it's active, you won't see a new "proper" Elder Scrolls game. Yeah, let that sink in. For the next 5-10 years (or more), there will be no new Elder Scrolls. Have fun :)
Where the fuck did you get that from?
Common sense. What reason would Bethesda have to make more SP TES when they can push out hundreds of pounds worth of cosmetics and expansions for thier MMO.
Except ESO isnt being made by the same guys who make the single player titles, so there goes that morsel of 'common sense'.
Zenimax Online and Bethesda are both part of Zenimax, and Zenimax won't have any reason to greenlight a new single player TES game if they are still making bank from the the MMO

mattaui

Oct 16, 2008
I'm enjoying ESO a lot more than I thought I would, but it is just another MMO. I suppose all the evangelism and opposing rancor comes down to the fact that to some folks the MMO they play is a lifestyle choice, and for others it's just another game in rotation. The $15 fee is completely beside the point to me - it's a game that's either worth my time to play or it's not. If you're spending hours and hours a week playing something just because you're saving fifty cents a day (because it's 'free') I hope it's something you really enjoy, too.

By the way, I really don't see the so-called 'floaty' problem making it different than most other MMO out there where you swing in the air at the general location of the mobs, and in fact there's several powers that knock down, stun and even knock back that feel very satisfying, with both spells and weapons.

Dec 14, 2009
Andrew_C said:
Daystar Clarion said:
gigastar said:
Jandau said:
The worst thing about ES:O is that while it's active, you won't see a new "proper" Elder Scrolls game. Yeah, let that sink in. For the next 5-10 years (or more), there will be no new Elder Scrolls. Have fun :)
Common sense. What reason would Bethesda have to make more SP TES when they can push out hundreds of pounds worth of cosmetics and expansions for thier MMO.
Except ESO isnt being made by the same guys who make the single player titles, so there goes that morsel of 'common sense'.
Zenimax Online and Bethesda are both part of Zenimax, and Zenimax won't have any reason to greenlight a new single player TES game if they are still making bank from the the MMO
Citation needed.

Until we're given reason to suspect that, forgive me if I don't rush to my tin foil hat station.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
Jasper van Heycop said:
Yeah no, when this thing goes F2P in a few months, Bethesda'll start thinking about the cash they were raking in with Skyrim.
My thoughts exactly. Like any other MMO, BethSoft will have a brief window of insane profitability, which will then collapse into them pulling a KOTOR.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
Jasper van Heycop said:
<You mean TOR. KOTOR (Knights of the Old Republic) was a brilliant RPG by Bioware/Lucasarts, TOR (The Old Republic) is the horrible MMO knockoff of that game
Yes, I did mean that. Sorry, never really cared for that particular MMO, so I butchered my attempt at exactitude. Derp.

Compatriot Block

Jan 28, 2009
I was incredibly disappointed in the beta, and I'm not sure why I decided to pick it up the other day. I'm glad I did, and I've been having fun. I know some people don't feel the same way, but questing feels to me like an Elder Scrolls game rather than any MMO I've played.

No bear asses so far.

Extragorey

Dec 24, 2010
Jandau said:
What makes you think that? Bethesda is working on the next Elder Scrolls, not Zenimax, same as always. Not that we'll see a new Elder Scrolls game for a while anyway - good things take time. There was almost a 6 year gap between Oblivion and Skyrim. Of course, in that time we'll probably see the next Fallout, which I'm personally just as keen for.

Random Fella

Nov 17, 2010
I love reading these comments, the majority of the people clearly haven't played the game, or even looked in to it, everyone loves to jump on a bandwagon of complaints.

GoGoFrenzy

Mar 13, 2012
Yeah I'm honestly not getting the dislike. (I do love the yawning maw reference though. lol!!)

I was making jokes about the sub fee model and how buggy a Bethesda mmo (although it's not Bethesda it's Zenimax) would be when I heard about the game being developed. Then I ended up with a beta key and thought I would give it a shot one weekend...

To my surprise I had a blast. And the more I played the game the more I got hooked cause it truly is a slow cooker. After two betas I bought the game and am having even more fun. I love the writing and voice acting; and the pvp is an absolute blast. Also the art style is fantastic. I can't stand cutesy looking mmos like WoW or Wildstar.

So now I'm a convert and don't get the hate. Too each their own I guess.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Don't forget Skyrim is unbalanced, piss easy and boring without alot of mods. If you could mod TESO it would be worth while.

Killclaw Kilrathi

Crocuta Crocuta
Dec 28, 2010
ZippyDSMlee said:
Don't forget Skyrim is unbalanced, piss easy and boring without alot of mods. If you could mod TESO it would be worth while.
It has a built in addon system, so you can at least mod the UI. There's obviously a limit to what you can do to the game itself, being massively multiplayer.

I have to say, even though I was disappointed in the beta I find myself strangely hooked on the game now that it's released. Sure it has its problems (I die a little inside when I have to relog to fix a broken quest instance and some of the voice acting feels horribly phoned in), but the game is very engaging with fun PvP and engrossing storytelling for PvE. I'm happy to officially consider this a true Elder Scrolls game.

I think a lot of the complaints in here are from people who either haven't played the game or only played the betas.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Hazy992 said:
And if you buy this on Xbox One you'll also have to pay a subscription for Xbox Live. So at that point you're paying for the game, paying the subscription, paying for Xbox Live, all for a game with microtransactions.

Brilliant ¬_¬

Daystar Clarion said:
*****, you can't have my space money, I need it for space hookers and space blow.
***** please, you can't afford no space hookers. Get outta here!
The price of a copy of the game on GMG rightnow is... £50, so like $80. Up front. To pay a relatively high subscription (I'm not against subs, I pay for FF14, which for reference can be had for £20 pretty easy).

So You actually have to get screwed about 5 times.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
That Hyena Bloke said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
It has a built in addon system, so you can at least mod the UI. There's obviously a limit to what you can do to the game itself, being massively multiplayer.

I have to say, even though I was disappointed in the beta I find myself strangely hooked on the game now that it's released. Sure it has its problems (I die a little inside when I have to relog to fix a broken quest instance and some of the voice acting feels horribly phoned in), but the game is very engaging with fun PvP and engrossing storytelling for PvE. I'm happy to officially consider this a true Elder Scrolls game.

I think a lot of the complaints in here are from people who either haven't played the game or only played the betas.
I loath PVP with fiber of my being, that said its better than Skyrim(even the beta) but still has issues, enough for me to pass at that price point.

Meh they can make a mod system for it just make PvP vanilla stuff only.

Edl01

Apr 11, 2012
Jandau said:
If you remember that's exactly what happened to the Warcraft series. Blizzard kept on going on about how World of Warcraft was a different team and that fans didn't need to worry about the original games going away. 10 years later and Warcraft 4 has yet to see an announcement.
It already happened once to one popular franchise, is see no reason why it won't happen again if Elder Scrolls Online is successful.

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
Random Fella said:
I love reading these comments, the majority of the people clearly haven't played the game, or even looked in to it, everyone loves to jump on a bandwagon of complaints.
actually most of the complaints that I have read or encountered are from people that played the last few Beta's and in many cases also played the headastart week. I know I did. It's not a bad game. It would have been a showstopper a a number of years ago. It captures the look and feel of the Elder Scrolls World well. But it still feels like a meh MMO. Just as TOR was a fairly decent single player game, that was marred by its MMO elements and devolved into mediocrity the moment the main quest ended. TES suffers horribly from a feeling of lack of polish in its MMO side mechanics. They tried to fix things that were never really an issue in MMO's and really went beyond being features and had become the common language of the genre. And not to the games real benefit.

A case in point. Look at how many separate player actions it takes to look at and loot a corpse, examine the loot picked up, and equip an item from that loot. or take it even further. Look at the steps needed to then mail that piece of loot to a friend. Notice how weirdly disjointed the command paths and UI interactions for doing all of this are? How many different keys are needed? How the mouse is only sometimes useful and completely non functional at others throughout this process? The command structure is not intuitive. It has no flow. There are some good ideas in it. But it feels badly cobbled together. Like something done by someone building one of the first MMO's back in 1999 or so.

The root cause of all of this is the UI and the control scheme was so obviously intended or designed for a platform other than the one that most players tested and are playing the game on. They bolted console controls and only console controls onto a PC MMO. some people do not mind that. However a great many long time MMO players hate it, and find it borderline unplayable. Like going back to DOS commands for gaming. Hence some of the wide variations in opinion on the game.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
008Zulu said:
Pretty conclusive. My rebuttal was more sarcasm about how they are needed to make the game actually work within the spirit of the idea behind the game.
Waot, so you're using sarcasm as a defense for using a sarcastic argument as a straight argument to indicate I was saying the opposite of what was clearly intended?

That's some serious irony there, friend.

Some people are mesmerized by the built up hype of the game rather than the game itself.
Or people just don't like the same things you do. This isn't a shocking concept, but it seems to be a completely alien one in gaming.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
Waot, so you're using sarcasm as a defense for using a sarcastic argument as a straight argument to indicate I was saying the opposite of what was clearly intended?

That's some serious irony there, friend.
We can boil it down to simply this; You statements indicate the game stands on it's own two feet. Mine, without the modding community that it is maybe good for one playthrough.

Zachary Amaranth said:
Or people just don't like the same things you do. This isn't a shocking concept, but it seems to be a completely alien one in gaming.
I don't doubt that some people are going to like Elder Scrolls Online. It will confuse me as to why; The game will be the latest fantasy themed mmo in a very, very long line of fantasy themed mmo's and thus far, there is no indication of it doing anything original.