Meet The All-Female Ghostbusters Team

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
EvilRoy said:
I kind of agree with you here. I mean, if the story is going to have no connection to 1 or 2 anyway, then why bother making it a Ghostbusters movie? You may as well just grab "sci-fi", "all female", "action-comedy" and go an make your own new movie from scratch, just throw on an "inspired by" at the end. Its not like they're gaining much by attaching it to a fairly old, reasonably worn out IP like this - and they already proved female foursome as a main cast can generally work so they shouldn't be depending on that anyway.

I think it would be one thing if they were doing another Alien/Predator/Resident Evil movie, where the antagonists are iconic and tied directly to those names or even another Dark City, where the setting is central to the plot, but can be used to carry another wholly unrelated story.

Ghostbusters was unique because it had ghosts, engaging likeable characters, and a fairly novel premise. The setting was New York (which will never be interesting again), the premise and antagonists are no longer novel, and the characters won't be in this movie because we are getting new ones. The new ones may be just as good as the old, but you don't need to name your movie Ghostbusters to get good characters.
Ghostbusters also took its subject matter very serious, probably due to Aykroyd being kind of a weirdo like that. But it really lended a proper sense of weight to the supernatural presence. Slimer was actually kind of creepy and menacing and so were the hell hounds, and the entire coming of Gozer made perfect sense as to why ghosts were suddenly showing up. I know it's primarily seen as a comedy, but the way it implemented the whole ghost angle was fucking solid.

I really don't see them replicating this in the remake. They couldn't even recapture it in the sequel by the same director and with the same actors and writers.

And seriously, how could they make an all-female Ghostbusters team and not cast Sigourney Weaver as Dana Barrett turned Ghostbuster!? Like, how fucking killer would that have been?!

Ishal

Oct 30, 2012
Casual Shinji said:
And maybe this is me just not being very intune with American female comedians, but the bulk of their material generally consists of 'Look how out of control we are, eventhough we're women, WOOOAH!' I'm fucking looking at you McCarthy, you're 'obnoxious fat person' routine is old and stale. Replace McCarthy with Julia Louis-Dreyfus and throw in Catherine Keener, and maybe we'll talk... just maybe.
It's not just you, in fact. Another person thought the same thing about women comedians, and got a decent amount of flak for it.

He raised some good points, imo. But I don't really follow female comedians, or comedy in general for that matter. Though Tina Fey is pretty funny sometimes.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Dragonbums said:
mad825 said:
Oh look, there's the obligatory black guy girl. Seeing as we're all playing the SJW card on this issue, couldn't they at least made it more diverse?

The SJW within me can tolerate that there might have been some sentiment of positive discrimination in a 1980s film. Why should they follow this when they seem to be on a course to fuck-up every Ghostbusters was?
Yeah it's totally because of SJW like thinking. It's not like having an all white cast with one black person has been a thing that's been done in movies now for decades long before the "SJW" craze even started :/.
Whoah, check out the snarkiness on you.

My original point was seeing as they are trying to do something different when they could've actually tried doing something different. Still, GB is a little racist whether inherently or consequently I do not know but what I do know rehashing the original origin stories will make it racist without any justification. Hindsight.

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
Casual Shinji said:
And seriously, how could they make an all-female Ghostbusters team and not cast Sigourney Weaver as Dana Barrett turned Ghostbuster!? Like, how fucking killer would that have been?!
I am really hoping that she is somehow, somehow involved... but then again, if it's a re-imagining, they'll probably not have a Dana Barrett at all...

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
thaluikhain said:
chozo_hybrid said:
I just don't see why it needs to be a reboot. They could have an all female cast, set it in another city, they'd be the new branch of the GB. Could have worked, I honestly think that it could have.
Yep...hell, maybe the original ones go bankrupt and have to sell off all their old gear to randoms who start mucking about with it.
I just think that part of the hate comes from a knee jerk reaction to just erasing the previous films (in a sense, I know it doesn't get rid of them for real) by starting anew when they don't have to.

Littaly

Jun 26, 2008
I still think this has potential. Kind of predictable that they would go with Wiig and McCarthy, but it's not a bad choice. The movie hinges on how good the writing is and how into the project the involved people are, which is always hard to predict.

I always find it difficult to tell how good of a choice a comedic actor is, because they can do the exact same schtick in two different movies and be hilarious in one of them, but cringe worthy in the other. Will Ferrel is probably the best example for me, he was hilarious in Anchorman, but awful in all those other movies that tried to emulate it.

Reboots like this are kind of the same, every once in a while it turns out they had the right people behind it to make it work even though it seemed like it only exists because the studio executives were out of ideas. So far there's nothing that damns this movie for me, I guess I'll just wait and see ^^

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Ishal said:
It's not just you, in fact. Another person thought the same thing about women comedians, and got a decent amount of flak for it.

He raised some good points, imo. But I don't really follow female comedians, or comedy in general for that matter. Though Tina Fey is pretty funny sometimes.
Well, for me it's really just American female comedians. One of the best examples I can think of being a show called Broad City. Now I don't know how current this show is anymore in America, since we here in Holland tend to get that stuff way later if at all, but that entire show is just this shock humor of 'Look at these women doing such unfeminine things. Oh dear...' It's similar to putting a 5-year old on screen swearing. Apparently the shock of 'Hey wait a minute... a 5-year old/a woman shouldn't be doing that.' is enough to carry the entire routine.

It's also funny how that video mentions Sarah Silverman, since her sister Laura was way funnier as... Laura in Dr. Katz than Sarah was ever. And again Julia Louis-Dreyfus as Elaine in Seinfeld was hilarious. But beyond that, I can't think of many others.

With Britsh comedy I have no issue whatsoever with female comedians (of what I've seen), probably because their comedy doesn't revolve around somekind of deconstruction of the feminine ideal.

xServer

Jul 23, 2014
Darks63 said:
Aww I wanted Tina Fey and Amy Poehler to be in this. I just saw them in their bit parts in Anchorman 2 and I'd love for them to do another team up.
Totally agree. They would have been amazing.

Pete Oddly

Nov 19, 2009
I'm all for Kristen Wiig and Melissa McCarthy. McCarthy catches a lot of flak for some of her shitty roles like Tammy, but anyone who says she can't act or that she can only be funny in one way still hasn't seen St. Vincent yet, and totally should. McCarthy is MUCH better than people give her credit for.

However; the other two? I've never heard of 'em. I know they're SNL alums, but since I haven't watch SNL in over a decade, I have no idea how solid their comedy stylings are.

Now, one person I would MUCH rather have on the team is Heather Anne Campbell, writer and performer for The Midnight Show, improv performer for Drew Carrey's Improviganza and Who's Line is it Anyway?, and creator of Animation Domination HD's Scientifically Accurate series. Campbell is fucking hilarious. One of the best comedians working today.

Methodia Chicken

Sep 9, 2014
Casual Shinji said:
Ishal said:
Well, for me it's really just American female comedians. One of the best examples I can think of being a show called Broad City. Now I don't know how current this show is anymore in America, since we here in Holland tend to get that stuff way later if at all, but that entire show is just this shock humor of 'Look at these women doing such unfeminine things. Oh dear...' It's similar to putting a 5-year old on screen swearing. Apparently the shock of 'Hey wait a minute... a 5-year old/a woman shouldn't be doing that.' is enough to carry the entire routine.

It's also funny how that video mentions Sarah Silverman, since her sister Laura was way funnier as... Laura in Dr. Katz than Sarah was ever. And again Julia Louis-Dreyfus as Elaine in Seinfeld was hilarious. But beyond that, I can't think of many others.

With Britsh comedy I have no issue whatsoever with female comedians (of what I've seen), probably because their comedy doesn't revolve around somekind of deconstruction of the feminine ideal.
To be fair I think Broad City doesn't derive it's humor from "women shouldn't do that" but "humans shouldn't do that"
the humor comes from them being not unfeminine but genuine terrible people constantly trying to stop their lives unraveling. Are you telling me it would be okay to see a man do half of what they do? at which point I think you are giving men far too much slack to be assholes or women not enough.

There are plenty of American comedians that don't "deconstruct the feminine ideal" who are great. Garfunkel and Oats come to mind, and plenty of British ones who do such as Jo Brand.
You can get good humor out of both... unless you are Kristen Wiig.

Rattja

Dec 4, 2012
All I can think is how funny it would be if they tried the "Don't cross the streams" joke in this one.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
You know, I was really honestly hoping that The Escapist's user base would be better about this, but I guess not.

Oh well, depending on how the movie looks once there's actually some footage of it (actually judging based on something concrete?!? *gasp*) I may go see it. In fact, I'd much rather see this than the "let's trot out the corpses because we grew up with them!" version that most fans of the franchise wanted.

WhiteNachos

Jul 25, 2014
I had this long reply typed up that got deleted. Suffice it to say the humor in ghostbusters never relied on being from a male perspective and never relied on jokes about men or jokes about women, so this feels like a cheap gimmick.

And the fact that they don't have Tina Fey or Amy Poelhmer makes me think they both saw a trainwreck coming (either that or the casting director didn't like them which would be an even worse sign).

Pete Oddly

Nov 19, 2009
StriderShinryu said:
You know, I was really honestly hoping that The Escapist's user base would be better about this, but I guess not.

Oh well, depending on how the movie looks once there's actually some footage of it (actually judging based on something concrete?!? *gasp*) I may go see it. In fact, I'd much rather see this than the "let's trot out the corpses because we grew up with them!" version that most fans of the franchise wanted.
Zing!
Because, you know, Harold Ramis is dead.
Like, a literal corpse.
Yeah.
I'm gonna go over here now.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
TallanKhan said:
Fanghawk said:
Meet The All-Female Ghostbusters Team

At the moment, this new film's plot is expected to have no connection to the previous two movies.

What?

Its a third Ghostbusters film, how the hell can it have no connection to the previous movies?
Hollywood loves rebooting the crap out of every franshise, consider this one I guess.

prowll

Aug 19, 2008
WhiteNachos said:
I had this long reply typed up that got deleted. Suffice it to say the humor in ghostbusters never relied on being from a male perspective and never relied on jokes about men or jokes about women, so this feels like a cheap gimmick.

And the fact that they don't have Tina Fey or Amy Poelhmer makes me think they both saw a trainwreck coming (either that or the casting director didn't like them which would be an even worse sign).
Consider the scene at the beginning with Vinkman shocking the male student, and NOT shocking the female student, and then when the guy gets fed up and leaves, he starts hitting on the girl.

Or when Ray gets visited by the 'ghost' in the firehouse, and his pants go down.

Now think of those two scenes with a female cast. You have a pervy girl hitting on guys, and a rape scene.

prowll

Aug 19, 2008
Queen Michael said:
I just wish that they'd included Sarah Silverman. Oh, and Kate Willert. And also Lindsay Ellis. (Shut it. A Queen can dream.)
In short, you wish they got a talented, funny cast.
Funny. So do we.