Meet The All-Female Ghostbusters Team

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Nice try, but your strive for women's equality changes nothing about the fact that this is just another 80's nostalgia plunder. Make another movie with an all-female team, but for fuck's sake, leave Ghostbusters alone. The Ghostbusters are Egon Spengler, Ray Stanz, and Peter Venkman (Winston Zeddemore was just a joke character), or more specifically, they were Harold Ramis, Dan Aykroyd, and Bill Murray.

And maybe this is me just not being very intune with American female comedians, but the bulk of their material generally consists of 'Look how out of control we are, eventhough we're women, WOOOAH!' I'm fucking looking at you McCarthy, you're 'obnoxious fat person' routine is old and stale. Replace McCarthy with Julia Louis-Dreyfus and throw in Catherine Keener, and maybe we'll talk... just maybe.

wulfy42

Jan 29, 2009
Shoulda gone with the original cast and had Harold play as a ghost (CGI of course).

Woulda been much better.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
Nope nope nopity nope

You want to make a film about ghosts and girls fighting them fine....
but leave Ghostbusters out of it!

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
TheRightToArmBears said:
So Wiig as the protagonist, Jones as the tough black woman, McKinnon as the ditzy pretty one and McCarthy as the funny one? Inspired, truly.

To be clear here, I'm not bitching about diversity but I'll eat my own face if they don't all fall into those particular archetypes.
I'm praying they switch it up to;

Jones are protagonist, McKinnon as tough black woman, Wiig as the funny one and McCarthy as the ditzy pretty one.

DarkBlood626

Nov 9, 2008
Yea? when I first heard of this I was worried that the only reason women would be cast for these roles in because of gender politics?And now I can?t help but think those fears are founded because when I see this I cant help but hear the casters saying. 'Make it diverse as possible. It has to be as diverse as possible because we want to seem new age and modern'

Think I?ll pass.

wulf3n

Mar 12, 2012
Vault101 said:
FirstNameLastName said:
Put me down for team "this is gimmicky as hell."
obviously...devations from the accepted default (ie men) is a gimmick
I can never tell if you're being serious or if it's a case of poe's law in action.

catpcha: Don't count on it... ominous.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
GabeZhul said:
-In 1986, the Ghostbusters phenomena still running high, Filmation made an animated sequel series to the 1975 live action The Ghost Busters for no other reason than to solidify their claim on the "Ghostbusters" title and to try and practically con kids who were still hyped for the movie into watching their crappy TV show.
I liked that show when I was young. Was suitably weird, with going to the future and random alien planets made of glass, IIRC.

Methodia Chicken

Sep 9, 2014
Hawk eye1466 said:
Man I would be on the fence instead of against this if they put Tina Fey and Amy Pohler in if only because I think their pretty funny and would have the chemistry to maybe help this thing do alright but as of right now I don't have high hopes for this movie.
Yeah I think the problem here is that while being good at casting women they are terrible at casting comedians.
you could have got a good all female cast out of the cast of parks and recreation alone (and still have Aubrey plaza left over to play a ghost).
There are plenty of good comedy actresses out there better than this lot, and that work a lot better together. Melissa McCarthy and Leslie Jones can give good performances but it's unlikely we'll see that in a ghost busters movie.

Razhem

Sep 9, 2008
Doesn't this seem a lot less about "look, a project with women, period" and a lot more "WE ARE PROLADIES, HAZ A BONE FOR YOUS!"? Who knows, might not be a piece of shit, but STINKS of pure marketing whitewashing at the moment.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
I just don't see why it needs to be a reboot. They could have an all female cast, set it in another city, they'd be the new branch of the GB. Could have worked, I honestly think that it could have.

Still, no trailer, so can't really have an opinion at all since I know who none of the actors are.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
chozo_hybrid said:
I just don't see why it needs to be a reboot. They could have an all female cast, set it in another city, they'd be the new branch of the GB. Could have worked, I honestly think that it could have.
Yep...hell, maybe the original ones go bankrupt and have to sell off all their old gear to randoms who start mucking about with it.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
And the most pointless remake in movie history has arrived. all main actors not worth spending time watching to perform.

I guess even someones drunk joke can pass for a real movie as long as you attach it to a famous name nowadays. consumerism yay!

Batou667

Oct 5, 2011
I'm turned off this on account of McCarthy, for the same reason I usually avoid any Adam Sandler or Will Ferrell movie like the plague: the actual actors are OK, but they invariably get cast as annoying characters in shitty movies.

PointlessKnowledge

It Can Wait Til Morning
Legacy
Sep 8, 2014
Country
Canada
Not committing on the casting choices as I'm unfamiliar with their work (don't watch that many movies) but, rebooting the franchise seems silly to me. They could do so many things beside that. Have it be a offshoot and place it in a new city, or have them buy the rights to the company from the aging Ghostbusters, to carry on where originals left off. So much potential, and they waste it on a reboot.

Dragonlayer

Aka Corporal Yakob
Dec 5, 2013
RandV80 said:
A female Ghostbusters team doesn't make any sense... women can't even wield longswords, how the heck are they going to manage a proton pack!
In an article I only looked at to see the comments, this was the one that made me laugh hardest: well done!

Paradoxrifts

Jan 17, 2010
The original Ghostbusters film already got an unnecessary sequel. Too little butter spread over too much bread.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
mad825 said:
Oh look, there's the obligatory black guy girl. Seeing as we're all playing the SJW card on this issue, couldn't they at least made it more diverse?

The SJW within me can tolerate that there might have been some sentiment of positive discrimination in a 1980s film. Why should they follow this when they seem to be on a course to fuck-up every Ghostbusters was?

Well, the big thing that gets me here is that none of these ladies seem like they have the right kind of talent to pull this off. Bill Murray and Dan Ackroyd can, and have, headlined movies numerous movies on their own and did this at a time when they were pretty well known for being able to put out a solid product which got people interested. Having Ray Parker Jr. turn out the "Ghostbusters" song which was genuinely catchy and promote it heavily via video on MTV when it was still a music powerhouse also played a role.

Don't get me wrong, they might wind up being great, but when you consider the big title being mentioned is "Bridesmaids" (different type of comedy) and SNL chops (which is no guarantee in of itself as we've seen) I'm not impressed. All I get is some PC stunt in terms of "hey let's do Ghostbusters with a team of women!". They are steering towards some awfully big boots with that as the team that pulled off that quirky success was one of talented writers comedic actors who were also themselves writers.

This doesn't mean that you couldn't do a similar kind of movie with these actresses, but the trick to me would be to NOT call it "Ghostbusters" and while they might keep the basic premise of paranormal researchers they probably want to try and define their own schtick with it as opposed to trying to retread someone else's set up.

What's more the whole "Ghostbusters" thing worked in part because at the time the movie was made very few people had any real awareness of this kind of thing and that experts in the paranormal did indeed exist. The hobbies of some of the cast members allowed them to also add a bit of authenticity to it just by the meters and such (while a bit different IRL the principles of real ghost hunting through measuring electromagnetics and such are *fairly* accurate). Nowadays simply having a bunch of ghost-hunters isn't that big a deal, amateurs head to towns like Jerome that do a tourist trade off of it, and "pros" get TV shows and there are so many of them that they compete with each other. What's more the idea of "ghost hunters run into more than they can handle" is a stock horror movie plot nowadays, a few of which have been decent (I thought "Grave Encounters" was fairly well done... I think that was the name). It would take more work to have this function, since you can't rely on the absurdity of people actually LOOKING for the monsters in a "horror movie" type situation as standing out. What's more part of what made Ghostbusters work was that despite all the funny men, they mostly played it straight in regards to increasingly ridiculous situations.... and of course finally one has to remember that even the supporting cast had Sigourney Weaver and Rick Moranis who did a lot to carry the weight for the film.

I guess the point of my rambling is that I just can't see this working particularly well, especially if all they have to go with is "Ghostbusters but with girls".

To be honest if I was going to be doing horror comedy nowadays I'd do it by simply camping everything up but using a fairly high budget and high concepts rather than trying to steal someone else's idea this directly and imitate it. "The Evil Dead" and "Cabin In The Woods" succeeded in the long run (albeit as a bit of a slow burn) by not setting out to create comedy outright but to let the absurdity of their own premises play themselves out for the most part with the occasional "WTF" joke scene thrown in. Of course then again I suppose most don't want a slow burn success, but an immediate, huge, box office payday, and I suppose even if the movie is horrible you can at least play the feminist spin, and reboot hype for initial ticket sales even if they movie tanks out after the first wave.

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
Reckon he looked at how many of these were popular outside of the states?

Can't speak for my peers, but I don't find any of these guys funny. He had the opportunity to mix it up, but he stuck to the formulaic - I find it hard to believe that this will be anything more than "Bridesmaids 2: Ghostbusters Edition!".

The cast is what made the original Ghostbusters work... the magic in this one will die halfway between the first reference back to the original film and the first "Melissa McCarthy fat joke".

Well done, you've taken an interesting twist on the series and ruined it with lazy casting.

Lightspeaker

Dec 31, 2011
Therumancer said:
Don't get me wrong, they might wind up being great, but when you consider the big title being mentioned is "Bridesmaids" (different type of comedy)
What's more part of what made Ghostbusters work was that despite all the funny men, they mostly played it straight in regards to increasingly ridiculous situations.
This right here is why I'm concerned about this reboot. I can't say I've seen "Bridesmaids" but by every description I've heard of it its along the lines of "The Hangover" or "Dude, Where's My Car?" I grew out of those kinds of films quite a few years ago, they're not my thing and they're not what Ghostbusters was.

If its wall to wall poor-taste jokes then its going to be bloody awful. -_-

Also I'd question why this even needed rebooting. Why not just do a spin-off with the new cast? :-\

Captcha: "I like you!" I like you too, captcha. ♥