Meet The All-Female Ghostbusters Team

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
mad825 said:
Oh look, there's the obligatory black guy girl. Seeing as we're all playing the SJW card on this issue, couldn't they at least made it more diverse?

The SJW within me can tolerate that there might have been some sentiment of positive discrimination in a 1980s film. Why should they follow this when they seem to be on a course to fuck-up every Ghostbusters was?
Uh, I have to admit I never watched Ghostbusters from front to end, but wasn't the team three white people and one black person? People already flip their shit over the concept of women playing ghostbusters, there being one more PoS would've just brought even more complaining...then agian it looks like people are not gonna be happy with this movie no matter what happens.

I don't know what point I'm trying to make

Gutsripper

Aug 23, 2010
As much as I love the Ghostbusters movies... I really don't want to see this made, ever.
I'd rather have two good movies that are old then 2 good oldies followed by a cringe inducing unfunny one years later trying to "recapture the magic" or whatever.

And it's not the fact that it's an all female team or that they're fat/black/old whatever, it's just the fact that they're completely unfunny, plus Feig's recent work also doesn't inspire confidence of this being any good.

marioandsonic

Nov 28, 2009
Considering Harold Ramis passed away last year, I'm wondering if they were just waiting for one of the original cast members to croak before greenlighting this reboot.

TheRightToArmBears said:
So Wiig as the protagonist, Jones as the tough black woman, McKinnon as the ditzy pretty one and McCarthy as the funny one? Inspired, truly.

To be clear here, I'm not bitching about diversity but I'll eat my own face if they don't all fall into those particular archetypes.
Close. McCarthy is the funny fat one.

Which means all of the humor around her will be "Look at how fat she is! She's eating way too much! Did we mention she's fat? FAT!"

Frostbyte666

Nov 27, 2010
1. If they wanted to increase diversity why not have a mixed gender team to show true modern day sensibilities on equality?
2. Since 2 of them were involved in Bridesmaids I expect the 'comedy' to be utterly utterly awful and cringe inducing (even if individually they are decent comedians) and will put it in the same barrel of rotten apples that includes movies like The Hangover.

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
Well if you are going to reboot something that doesn't need it, you might as well come with an interesting hook (Looking at you Robocop Reboot. You POS.) Hopefully the black lady won't be as blatantly tacked on as the Black guy was in the original film.

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
Scorpid said:
Well if you are going to reboot something that doesn't need it, you might as well come with an interesting hook (Looking at you Robocop Reboot. You POS.) Hopefully the black lady won't be as blatantly tacked on as the Black guy was in the original film.
Don't go and say Ernie was just tacked on. He provided a few good chuckles and none of the jokes had anything to do with him being black. Him being black didn't even come into play in the original. Well, unless you take his "I DON'T CARE SO LONG AS I GET PAID" as some kind of black guy stereotype.

OT:

And so launches the countdown to more people getting really sick of this kind of crap coming from movies. So how long before we have a rehash of the food poisoning/Taco Bell "joke" from Bridesmaids? You know it's gonna happen, probably involving Slimer reimagined as some kind of toilet-bound ghost.

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
I really, really hope that this isn't just "female humour", with strong sassy female leads complainin' 'bout those lazy hunks of useless mancandy trash piles, while the strong sassy female leads are sassing it up doing irrelevant things while the authors are running on red bull and news reports of public bra-burnings.

Or... something.

Could be good. Probably won't be. Is there, like, anyone who wants this? With more contemporary modern views, it could be a more interesting look at Ghostbusters and maybe even film and racial and gender stereotypes from the original's era... or it could just be really shit.

Or it could not be. Or it could not not be. We'll just have to wait and see. And then regret.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
"At the moment, this new film's plot is expected to have no connection to the previous two movies."

Then, will it be connected to the Filmation's TV series? Will Tracey have his chance on the big screen?

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
I want to be on board with this. I want to be excited for a new Ghostbusters.

But I can't. I just....can't.

It's not the all-female cast that gets me. I'm absolutely for that. I love that idea, though I'm not entirely sold on this cast reveal. It's not even that it's a reboot. Some reboots work and are as good or better than the originals.

No. What gets me is that Paul Feig is writing and directing. The guy's the definition of hit-or-miss[footnote]With far more in the "miss" category.[/footnote]. And for me, even his hits are bad.

Now, had a better writer and/or director been involved like, say, Edgar Wright, I'd be incredibly hyped for this film. As it is?

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
I'll at-least wait for a trailer to come out before I decide my overall opinion. Look, maybe it'll be good or maybe it won't and while trailers can lie I want to at-least see what kind of humor they're gonna go with for this reboot.

Until then, I'm just gonna sit back and wait before I decide if this is gonna be worse than a modern Shyamalan movie or if i can permit some iota of excitement.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Hilarious. You know this move was made for one type of person. I'll give you a hint, it usually looks like the one on the far right of the image.

I can't wait until tumblr can't decide if this film is the greatest thing ever, striking down the "patriarchy" or "problematic" as hell. They never can decide these days.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Aaaand thanks to Melissa McCarthy, I won't be seeing this. At all. Sorry, just don't like her style, her choice of jokes and such. I'm not very forgiving towards folks who thinks its humorous to equate painful disabilities with "its all in your head" and as such have boycotted any movie or show she happens to be in.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
Oh, I know I voiced my opinion on the matter around here somewhere...

... ah, here: [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.857058-Bridesmaids-Director-In-Talks-For-Female-Led-Reboot-of-Ghostbusters?page=4#21238479]

While having 4 female leads could work, there's about a 0% chance that it'd be good with how it's likely to be made.

- If it were to be done, it'd likely be done as a gimmick
- The humor will likely revolve around 'women humor' and 'women problems'
- From what I've heard, this director's films have not been funny
- My understanding is that McCarthy just keeps playing the same role of 'hur-dur, I'm a fat dumb woman laugh dammit'
- The likelihood of making the female Ghostbusters uniforms form fitting/zipped low to reveal cleavage/this [http://www.scavengeinc.com/images/Product/medium/rubies/girl-ghostbusters-costume.jpg]/pink [http://www.crit-hit.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/gb-sanctum.png] is too damn high
- With several of the people that made the other Ghostbusters films classics bowing out of the project, the likelihood of the movie being good is already really low

I want there to be more Ghostbusters, but the track for there being good continuations (so far, the only wholly enjoyable one I've seen is the game that was supposed to work as the third film) is just too low for me to really get my hopes up.

Aug 1, 2010
Wiig I'm excited for. She's a great actress and a good fit for the role.

The other three... pain.

I haven't seen much of McKinnon, but McCarthy and Jones are some of the worst comedians I've ever seen.

I guess I'll reserve judgement, but still, it's not looking promising

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Oh Melissa McCarthy...you poor, poor woman.

Someone really needs to sit her down and explain she was only liked in Bridesmaids because she was the Ugly One. Just like Maya Rudolph was What's Her Face, Rose Byrne was So-And-So Kristen Wiig was Cheerleader!

No girlfriend would have brought their boyfriend to a movie about marriage if Melissa McCarthy's character was funnier than her, more clever than her, more out going than her and hotter than her.

That and she's just not that funny. You just know half the jokes in this movie are gonna fall completely flat. They're gonna duck-tail off the original movie, so instead of creating a new take on Venkman, Spengler, Stantz and Zeddmore, they're just doing Rule 63. So the original characterizes the characters and the new one just copies and pastes and assumes you already love these characters. Fucking joy.

SnakeTrousers

Dec 30, 2013
Dogstile said:
Hilarious. You know this move was made for one type of person. I'll give you a hint, it usually looks like the one on the far right of the image.

I can't wait until tumblr can't decide if this film is the greatest thing ever, striking down the "patriarchy" or "problematic" as hell. They never can decide these days.
The only thing better than the projected reaction? Pre-mature jabs at the projected reaction! The best part is, you don't even have to wait for 'em.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Piorn said:
Why does the logo have the pink venus sign? The original didn't have a blue mars sign.
Unless they openly want to tell everyone that the default humans have been replaced with female humans in a desperate attempt to revive a dead franchise.
You're not supposed to want to see this movie because it's a new Ghostbusters movie, the emphasis clearly indicates that you're supposed to want to see this move because it's an ALL FEMALE Ghostbusters movie.

As such, if you ask me, the entire cast are token characters.

Edit: To be fair, I suppose it's possible - even likely - that the female logo is not official artwork for the project. Still, if you ask me the only reason this is being made is to try and "make waves" with an all female cast to milk some more money out of the franchise.