Meet The All-Female Ghostbusters Team

prowll

Aug 19, 2008
the December King said:
Casual Shinji said:
And seriously, how could they make an all-female Ghostbusters team and not cast Sigourney Weaver as Dana Barrett turned Ghostbuster!? Like, how fucking killer would that have been?!
I am really hoping that she is somehow, somehow involved... but then again, if it's a re-imagining, they'll probably not have a Dana Barrett at all...
Dan Barrett.

Methodia Chicken

Sep 9, 2014
NuclearKangaroo said:
Vault101 said:
FirstNameLastName said:
Put me down for team "this is gimmicky as hell."
obviously...devations from the accepted default (ie men) is a gimmick

*siiiigghhh*
not really an all-men remake of charlie's angels would be JUST as gimmicky
Oh I would totally watch the hell out of that (with Amy Pholmer as Bosley and Jessica Walter as the voice of charlie).

yeah deviations from the accepted default (ie men) shouldn't be a gimmick but I think whoever cast this and those in the marketing department think it is. So yeah, double foul for handling this as gimmicky as it has been.

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
Methodia Chicken said:
NuclearKangaroo said:
Vault101 said:
FirstNameLastName said:
Put me down for team "this is gimmicky as hell."
obviously...devations from the accepted default (ie men) is a gimmick

*siiiigghhh*
not really an all-men remake of charlie's angels would be JUST as gimmicky
Oh I would totally watch the hell out of that (with Amy Pholmer as Bosley and Jessica Walter as the voice of charlie).

yeah deviations from the accepted default (ie men) shouldn't be a gimmick but I think whoever cast this and those in the marketing department think it is. So yeah, double foul for handling this as gimmicky as it has been.
its not a gimmick because it "deviates from the accepted default" there has been countless of films with female leads for DECADES now

hell if wikipedia is to be believed

women started appearing on stage since atleast 1660

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Actor#Terminology

its unlikely the introduction of movies changed that

its a gimmick because literally the pitch is "ghostbusters, BUT WITH GIRLS", is like saying "Charlie's Angels, BUT WITH MEN", "Romeo and Juliet, BUT WITH DOGS", etc

Chicago Ted

Jan 13, 2009
I'm getting the exact same vibe from this as I had from The Lone Ranger a couple years back. Can't quite put the words to it, just bracing for the crash and burn.

AstaresPanda

Nov 5, 2009
Just feels so forced, like it was not bad enough trying to get ghost busters going again its like they thought lets be wild and edgey and .... fuck it i dont know or care anymore no egon = no movie.

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
thaluikhain said:
GabeZhul said:
-In 1986, the Ghostbusters phenomena still running high, Filmation made an animated sequel series to the 1975 live action The Ghost Busters for no other reason than to solidify their claim on the "Ghostbusters" title and to try and practically con kids who were still hyped for the movie into watching their crappy TV show.
I liked that show when I was young. Was suitably weird, with going to the future and random alien planets made of glass, IIRC.
Heck I remember the original Live Action Filmation's show somewhat fondly. It re teemed the two lead Actors from F Troop as Monster Hunters in a sort of Abbot and Costello meet the Wolfman type show. Cheesy by today's standards but wildly entertaining for an 8 year old back then (remember this was almost 2 years before Star Wars would forever melt our brains with wonderous possibilities.) Filmation's (the same guys that created He-Man, and that gave us the famous/infamous animated Star Trek) Saturday morning live action ers were a mixed bag over the years. Ghost Busters was among the best of them. It was often paired with Sid and Marty Crofts "Far Out Space Nuts" which (and I kid you not) teamed Giligan with an alien in a lost space ship. Probably the best of their stuff was the three "hard scuff" shows Ark II, Space Academy and Jason of Star Command.

And while I love the Ghostbusters movie, Filmation's did have a legitimate copyright complaint when they went to develop it as a kids animated show.

http://youtu.be/AWzoi1cx7_U

Ten Foot Bunny

I'm more of a dishwasher girl
Mar 19, 2014
0takuMetalhead said:
Hollywood loves rebooting the crap out of every franshise, consider this one I guess.
True, that! And the creation of two priceless reboots (21 Jump Street and Evil Dead) does not a mediocre trend forgive.

While I had no emotional investment in the existence or non-existence of a female-led Ghostbusters, I was at least curious to see what they'd make of it. These casting decisions give me no reason to believe that the creators are looking to take any chances. I'll continue to keep an open mind until contracts are set in stone and they release some promo material, but I can't give enough fucks to raise even half an eyebrow after reading this news.

(It was SOOOO easy, you pea-brains: Emma. Fucking. Watson! Casting director needs to be fired already.)

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Ten Foot Bunny said:
(It was SOOOO easy, you pea-brains: Emma. Fucking. Watson! Casting director needs to be fired already.)
hmmm I was gonna say "but she's not comedic" but then she could work as she fits that "bookish" type very well

I think this also highlights the narrow range of roles woman get to play when we discuss casting

(also if you want some obvious casing Emma Watson will be playing Belle from Beauty and the beast)

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
NuclearKangaroo said:
its not a gimmick because it "deviates from the accepted default" there has been countless of films with female leads for DECADES now
can we just stop pretending that we all live in happy equality land?

lord canti said:
Man, people just aren't the least bit rational when it comes to stuff from our childhoods are they? Anyway, I'll do what I always do and wait for the trailer to come out. Then I will proceed to read all the comments of people saying that Hollywood is killing their childhood.
maybe some peoples childhoods need to grow up

cleric of the order said:
They'll do both.
How it will go down is one tribe will say "we like this", another will go ""female" but trans women, otherkin, this movie is transphobic". Yet another will spout on about the lack of minorities and white feminism. The fourth one will complain about the lack of hot guys and the fifth will change the light bulb.
do people actually make an effort to not understand things?

Soda Spider

Dec 15, 2014
MerlinCross said:
Neeckin said:
But Why? There is no demand for this.
Actually I think there's been demand for another ghostbuster's movie, but given Harold Ramis' death that shot down any plans for Ghostbusters with the original cast.

I don't think there's been a demand for "All Female Ghostbusters" though. But it's gonna fail. "Because it's an all female cast isn't it!" No because no Ghostbusters project as worked out since Ghostbusters 2(And even THEN it's debatable if Ghostbusters 2 succeeded.)

Omey said:
To the people complaining about having a black character retcon - its 2015! Get off the horse carriage in your cotton plantation!
Really? Haven't seen people complaining about black character retcon. Though who's she playing(I didn't see who's playing who just the cast picture). I mean for all we know she could be playing Ernie Hudson's character or assigned slot(the funny rookie character).
The Ghost-busters Video game that came out a few years ago with all the original cast was a good "finale" to the first two movies IMO

lord canti

May 30, 2009
Man, people just aren't the least bit rational when it comes to stuff from our childhoods are they? Anyway, I'll do what I always do and wait for the trailer to come out. Then I will proceed to read all the comments of people saying that Hollywood is killing their childhood.

cleric of the order

Sep 13, 2010
erttheking said:
Uh, I have to admit I never watched Ghostbusters from front to end, but wasn't the team three white people and one black person? People already flip their shit over the concept of women playing ghostbusters, there being one more PoS would've just brought even more complaining...then agian it looks like people are not gonna be happy with this movie no matter what happens.

I don't know what point I'm trying to make
Not really that much.
For good reason, this is sort of desecration.
Hell Even in my mind i think it's sexist to sell a movie based solely on gender.
Seriously, the "female ghostbusters" If the only draw to it is that it's ghosts busters but with females then i could have read some r63 fanfiction.

Dogstile said:
Hilarious. You know this move was made for one type of person. I'll give you a hint, it usually looks like the one on the far right of the image.

I can't wait until tumblr can't decide if this film is the greatest thing ever, striking down the "patriarchy" or "problematic" as hell. They never can decide these days.
They'll do both.
How it will go down is one tribe will say "we like this", another will go ""female" but trans women, otherkin, this movie is transphobic". Yet another will spout on about the lack of minorities and white feminism. The fourth one will complain about the lack of hot guys and the fifth will change the light bulb.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Dragonbums said:
thaluikhain said:
Same as there was no reason to change Rue into a black girl in the Hunger Games movie, just cause she was black in the book.
Rue is black in the books and black in the movie...so what exactly was the change here?
Apparently, just because she's explicitly stated to be black, doesn't mean she isn't white. Possibly because she isn't a stereotype, and her being black isn't referenced in every sentence involving her, and people used to that got confused and outraged. Lots of outrage.

http://www.newyorker.com/books/page-turner/white-until-proven-black-imagining-race-in-hunger-games

wulf3n

Mar 12, 2012
lord canti said:
Man, people just aren't the least bit rational when it comes to stuff from our childhoods are they?
You don't really need that last part. people aren't rational when it comes to anything.

mecegirl

May 19, 2013
MerlinCross said:
Vault101 said:
woman are not such delicate things they break from wearing a slightly heavy
Oh yes good to know that these 4 women are the peak of what the female gender can do physically.

No it was a jab at anyone who would try to make that argument of "Hey they're girls they're not strong enough to run around". I'm more interested in whole physically strong the actresses are. To my limited knowledge of the 4, they haven't been running around with heavy packs on in their movies. I could be wrong, I don't watch movies period anymore. And hell, they'd probably go through some exercises or something to carry them IF they are in fact heavy. And even if they don't, body doubles are a thing. I'm not saying they can't be ghostbusters because 'hurr durr girls will snap like twigs'.

But hey, you keep injecting your thoughts on other people.
It's not like the originals were super fit so why should it matter? I mean...Do you remember what they looked like? They were just normal looking dudes. They even had a little pudge.

RavingSturm

May 21, 2014
An Extreme Ghostbusters type of cast wouldve been more interesting imho. Especially if one of them did ghostbust in a wheel chair.

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
Vault101 said:
NuclearKangaroo said:
can we just stop pretending that we all live in happy equality land?
thats not an argument

i proved you women have been acting on theatre for centuries and cinema isnt that different

i never considered women in leading roles unusual, i cant see why you do

as for "happy equality land" id like to remind you that in most of the western world it is ILLEGAL to discriminate agaisnt a women because of her sex, so yes we do quite live in equality land