KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Lolita Style, The Best Style!
Jan 12, 2010
thaluikhain said:
KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime said:
even the best feminists only support women's rights,
Also most feminists, the non-extremist ones, do support men's rights
These statements are mutually exclusive. There's no context that doesn't make the first very obviously untrue.

EDIT: Now, if that's not what you meant to say, fair enough, your next post seems to make much more sense, but the original really did not.
I can understand that. What I mean is that in an active role feminists only work on the women's rights side, MRAs only work on the men's rights side. While for the most part they support each other in their struggles, but they focus primarily on their own. So while the two sides aren't mutually exclusive, they're busy enough with their own battles to focus on the other side's battles. Just like how the struggles of homosexuals are different from the struggles of transgender people, we can support each other all day long, but when it comes down to it, working together on different struggles at the same time has been counter productive.

I hope that clears up all confusion, that is initially what I had meant.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
I can understand that. What I mean is that in an active role feminists only work on the women's rights side, MRAs only work on the men's rights side. While for the most part they support each other in their struggles, but they focus primarily on their own. So while the two sides aren't mutually exclusive, they're busy enough with their own battles to focus on the other side's battles. Just like how the struggles of homosexuals are different from the struggles of transgender people, we can support each other all day long, but when it comes down to it, working together on different struggles at the same time has been counter productive.

I hope that clears up all confusion, that is initially what I had meant.
Ok, that sounds fair enough. I'd not necessarily agree, however, I still think it's perfectly possible for any individual to support both. Though, it'd work a lot better if they were to take the backseat in supporting the group they aren't in, over enthusiastic allies can cause all sorts of problems.

BrokenTinker

Sep 11, 2014
BrokenTinker said:
Now you've loons that view any criticism against any female as misogyny, on the flip side, you've the equally loonie ones on the MRA screaming shit right back. LGBT communities that are literally at each other throat, where some prefer to keep their sexlives to themselves as long as they've the right to same-sex marriage while you've the ones that keeps declare their sexual orientation in public discussions when no one gives a fuck and when you call them out on it, you'd get called transphobic/homophobic. Then you've parts of the hostile parts of T community active disrupt the L community (womyn festival closing down can be trace back to T), the L+G community wondering why the T actively try to drag them into fights where they don't feel comfortable to butt in since.
The reason there is hostility in between the Trans and the L&G community is because the L&G community keeps tossing us under the bus during legislative pushes. Then there is the underlying current of L&G minorities who believe that trans people are just confused homosexuals, along the line "you're either gay, straight, or lying." Which has caused the trans community to hate be lumped in via sexuality, especially because gender identity and sexuality are separate things, plus every protection we've gotten we've gotten by our selves. Seriously L&G activists have talked such a big game about helping us, then with back room deals tossed our interests out to make legal protections for homosexuals more appealing. You wonder why the LGBT community is considered a misnomer? It's because L&G activists have basically worked really hard to alienate the B and T sections of the larger community. At least bisexual people have gotten protection for their sexuality through this, but every trans protection has been done by exclusively trans activists. That's where the hostility comes from, active discrimination in a community that's supposed to support us.

thaluikhain said:
The unfortunate part of that is that feminism isn't equality in gender rights, even the best feminists only support women's rights, there is nothing done to help lessen the gender biases against men by feminists.
Rubbish.

Firstly, you can't get rid of gender roles without it benefiting all genders, and that is a big part of feminism. Secondly, even if you could, you are seriously suggesting that no feminists support the rights of males? When for example, Gorrath says they are a feminist and support men's rights, they are lying about at least one of those things?
Firstly feminists talk about getting rid of gender roles, but really the talks I've heard about this amount to either allowing gender neutral movement between roles, or is just plain role reversal on a societal level. Most feminists champion making the roles neutral, which is a great ideal, if unrealistic at the moment. Also most feminists, the non-extremist ones, do support men's rights, but as activists they're busy working on women's rights. Now taking a small part of a larger thing I said out of context is kind of a dishonest thing to do, especially if you use it to claim I'm being divisive. What I said was that there are two sides to the gender equality movement, they have different focuses, not that that they're mutually exclusive.

No questions on the legislative front, the only place where Ts are getting a fairshake was Germany I believe (with the 3 official boxes), maybe missed a few other countries. But even before all this (as in late 90s), way before the legislative push, there was already a lot of hostilities between the L+Gs and Ts, so I don't really know all the details. Ts weren't really a thing where I was and I already left by the time they joined (due to the precursors of SJWs). I do keep track of statistics and some arguments, but not enough to faithfully present an informed opinion in this regard of L+G vs T.

There's a lot of thing that doesn't make sense to me though, since there's the claim of feeling of vulnerability from M->F by Ts that's attributed to society even though it's literally a list side-effect of hormonal treatment. The demonization of people that wants to be biological parent (including L+Gs) as somehow discrimination against T (this is one of the thing I accidentally sat through recently and not sure how prevalent it is, I'm still lost whenever I think about). There's also the argument within T community themselves in regards to treatment vs surgery with one side that pushing heavy for reassignment while the others actively push against it, giving younger Ts pre-transition a lot of wtf headaches. On one hand, you've statistic and Ts saying that surgery doesn't help with coping with depression, suicide and dysphoria (sp?), on the other hand, you've Ts claiming that Ts aren't Ts if they don't reassign themselves. This just adds to the clusterfuck (clusterfuckception?).

thaluikhain said:
Certainly, humour can be a way of dealing with a serious issue, only that's not how prison rape is generally depicted. It's a staple of comedy (by comedians whom I seriously doubt have any particular interest of PTSD sufferers, even of those you've decided are "actual" ones), but not nearly so prevalent in serious discussion, except as a useful deterrent for criminals.
"I" don't get to decide neither do self-diagnose/self-claim PTSDs, medical professionals do. The statistics simply don't match up for the amount of "triggered" that's so prevalent on social media and elsewhere. You seem to make quite the connection of coping mechanism = comedians caring about PTSD (despite the fact that some certainly do, forgot the name of the french-canadien that talked extensively about this while keeping it light, also tied in the benefit and side effects of cannabis in relation to mental health), kindly reread what I said. I was putting an EMPHASIS on the importance of coping mechanism.

I'd refute your "staple of comedy" statement since it'd require a VAST MAJORITY of comedians to use it (could be a american-centric thing though, so I wouldn't reject that possibility). Have you talked to comedians though? I mean, serious chats, heck, even watch some of the serious interviews. I'm not sure about the younger ones, but quite a few of them surprise me with their level of insight. Sure, there are assholes there, but that's the same for every aspect of the entertainment industry. You should watch some of the stuff from the cast of monty python (even their newer stuff by the surviving members). By stifling even humour of something is how society create tensions and taboo.

I certainly agree with the lack of prevalence in serious discussion, you've the far right "lock'em and forget'em" disrupting any talks of prisoner rights with no understanding of sexual health. On the 3rd wave feminists side, the pulling of fire alarms when discussion of men issue occurs, to the point that venues refuse to host those talks in the first place.

I do have to ask though, what solution would you propose? Serious talks of the issue is frequently disrupted (I think lobbying by the industry for prison labour might be part of it), and claims that it shouldn't be used in humour at all by people like you, where does it leave it? It's easy to criticize when one doesn't have to present a solution, I mean, even right now, as laymans, we are talking about rape as a result of our definite takes on comedy. It isn't based on lies and manipulation or anything (unlike the UVA and shit), we are seriously talking about rape because of our different views on "hilarity". It's next to impossible to do that normally if we were to arrive at it thru the usual route since it becomes MRA/Feminist/identity politic firework show.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
BrokenTinker said:
I'd refute your "staple of comedy" statement since it'd require a VAST MAJORITY of comedians to use it (could be a american-centric thing though, so I wouldn't reject that possibility). Have you talked to comedians though? I mean, serious chats, heck, even watch some of the serious interviews. I'm not sure about the younger ones, but quite a few of them surprise me with their level of insight. Sure, there are assholes there, but that's the same for every aspect of the entertainment industry. You should watch some of the stuff from the cast of monty python (even their newer stuff by the surviving members). By stifling even humour of something is how society create tensions and taboo.
Ok, it seems that we've not been seeing the same kind of prison rape humour.

In my experience, it's generally not raised in a discussion about prison rape, or prison in general, prison rape is brought up for the purpose of making an easy gag, and then immediately dropped. That's by far the most common way I've seen it depicted.

BrokenTinker said:
I do have to ask though, what solution would you propose? Serious talks of the issue is frequently disrupted (I think lobbying by the industry for prison labour might be part of it), and claims that it shouldn't be used in humour at all by people like you, where does it leave it? It's easy to criticize when one doesn't have to present a solution, I mean, even right now, as laymans, we are talking about rape as a result of our definite takes on comedy. It isn't based on lies and manipulation or anything (unlike the UVA and shit), we are seriously talking about rape because of our different views on "hilarity". It's next to impossible to do that normally if we were to arrive at it thru the usual route since it becomes MRA/Feminist/identity politic firework show.
Well, this is in an MRA thread.

Anyway, IMHO, there needs to be an acknowledgement that this is a problem, and a rejection of the idea that it's an important deterrent.

hentropy

Feb 25, 2012
I feel like the MRM is one small step away from a very important revelation. Unfortunately, taking that step would essentially be putting yourself on the same side as feminists, even radical feminists, so they don't take it.

The revelation is simply the fact that traditional gender roles are entirely bunk and hold little value in an enlightened, free society. Radical feminists call this societal expectations of gender roles the "patriarchy" which is a somewhat annoying term because of how liberally it is used and how it sounds. But the idea remains intact, the "patriarchy", or societal attitudes about gender and sex perpetrated by both men and women dictate how men and women should act through societal coercion. More moderate, contemporary, political feminists sometimes like to use the patriarchy to their own ends, achieving certain political ends using these societal attitudes that benefit them when they see fit.

So when MRAs complain about things like child support, men being expendable, expected to have no emotions, etc. what they're really getting bad about is the "patriarchy" or very old, very traditional views of man that are ingrained in our culture.

Some might say it's the patriarchy "backfiring" but that's not true, because the "patriarchy" is not a gun wielded by man and pointed at women, it's old muskets and cannons and ballistas and trebuchets, no longer manned by those dead for centuries, pointed at all of us, but they blend so seamlessly into the scenery that no one even notices them anymore. Just as we have ancient ideas of class and religion and authoritarianism still present in our culture. The past is always present, whether we like it or not.

We can see the different reactions to this in the "manosphere", people who recognize the inequality but don't want to acknowledge or recognize the root cause. Some take a more "moderate" route (AVFM), ignoring hundreds of years of history and instead want to focus on the last 50 years, thinking that these methods of men-screwing came about with the rise of political feminism. Others take the blue pill, wanting to believe that old, traditional gender types are fine, and that everything would be fine if we just went back to women being nothing but Kinder, Kuche, Kirche [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinder,_K%C3%BCche,_Kirche] (Return of Kings and the ilk). To them, they're willing to accept problems for men so long as women are also getting screwed (both literally and figuratively). Then you just sorta have the ragers, people who don't much care about broader contexts or history or cultural issues and just want to take women down a notch.

But this is why it is easy to simply write them off as misogynists, because they go to such lengths to avoid talking about the root causes of their problems and try to find common ground with feminists, because they have decided for themselves that they are anti-feminist, and thus can't agree with them on anything.

BrokenTinker

Sep 11, 2014
thaluikhain said:
BrokenTinker said:

In my experience, it's generally not raised in a discussion about prison rape, or prison in general, prison rape is brought up for the purpose of making an easy gag, and then immediately dropped. That's by far the most common way I've seen it depicted.

BrokenTinker said:
Well, this is in an MRA thread.

Anyway, IMHO, there needs to be an acknowledgement that this is a problem, and a rejection of the idea that it's an important deterrent.
I think it might have to do with the means of exposure, I rarely watch TV, and the comedies that I did watch were usually live or on YT. I highly recommend ppls like Fluffy (Gabriel Iglesias), check him out, I think some of his stuff are also on YT. I'm not sure if he touched on a rape joke or not (it has been quite a while since I watched comedy though and a lot of the people kind got forgotten or get joined into amorphous blob).

It's a MRA thread, but we arrived at it not by MRA means ;)

Here's the thing, there's already an acknowledgement that this IS a problem (even by Justice departments). But it doesn't enter the public consciousness, how do we cut through all that? One route is comedy which you seem to despise, the serious route is filled with political exploitation. That's the solution I was asking for. I mean, short of a mandatory Justice class as part of the curriculum (the last time that got brought up... it wasn't pretty).

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
thaluikhain said:
BrokenTinker said:

This is what bothers me most about prison rape jokes. They're so prevalent in American society that its been boiled down to a incredibly simple punchline.

The most common talk when someone goes to prison for child abuse is that "they'll get theirs in prison." The implied bit is that they'll get raped in prison because inmates don't like child molesters. Its unspoken, not because its taboo, but because its accepted. The line "Dont drop the soap" is constantly used as a joke even though it refers, very explicitly, to being anally raped if you have to bend down to pick up soap.

You have mainstream television shows making jokes about it and no one raises a stink. Hell, Friends made a prison rape joke (a very very tame one) and that's the epitome of safe white people humor.

I don't mind the fact that its used as a joke too much. I've laughed at racist/homophobic/sexist jokes all the time. Not laughing at a prison rape joke would make me a hypocrite. The problem I have is that far too few people in society honestly give a crap about the latter despite the fact that its a really big problem simply because they're able to compartmentalize it as a bad person getting what they deserve.

Its a lot like how pedophiles are treated in the world. Yeah they're icky and some of them actually have hurt people, but a lot of them havent. However they're treated worse than dirt after they've been released from prison simply because its easy to discriminate against someone that society doesn't like anyway.

And dont get it twisted either. Its a huge problem for both men and women in prison. Recent statistics have shown that its actually a bigger problem in women prisons than it is in mens prisons. Whether thats because there's a larger population of men or because there's more safeguards in place for the men I'm not sure.

I'm super off topic though.

Yes they exist. Theres a lot of crazies out there and there's a lot of people who just want to raise awareness for mens issues. There was that really good ad campaign a while back about how violence is violence. They had 2 actors pretend to be a couple and first had the man berate the women in public. People came to her defense, they stood up for her, they made the guy back off. Yay! Later they had those same 2 actors do the same bit, but with the gender roles reversed and the man was the one being berated and abused by the women. No one ever came to help, even when it got physical. A lot of people straight up laughed at the guy.

A lot of women I talked to on the net about it correctly pointed out that the problem was obviously a problem with patriarchy. The problem stemmed from what to do about it. The only answer ever given was to get rid of gender roles and it wouldn't be a problem. Okay, thats great but what do we do for the next hundred years while we try to recondition a millennium of "the way things are"? That's where it breaks down for me.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
BrokenTinker said:
I think it might have to do with the means of exposure, I rarely watch TV,
Ah, ok, mainly thinking of TV comedy here.

BrokenTinker said:
True.

BrokenTinker said:
Here's the thing, there's already an acknowledgement that this IS a problem (even by Justice departments). But it doesn't enter the public consciousness, how do we cut through all that?
We personally, or we as society or institutions?

BrokenTinker said:
One route is comedy which you seem to despise, the serious route is filled with political exploitation. That's the solution I was asking for. I mean, short of a mandatory Justice class as part of the curriculum (the last time that got brought up... it wasn't pretty).
Well, it's not so much in comedy that I despise, it's the way I generally see it come up in comedy, which generally revolves around someone being raped in prison being inherently funny in of itself. I suspect this is due to how society views people in prison.

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Jan 12, 2010
BrokenTinker said:
No questions on the legislative front, the only place where Ts are getting a fairshake was Germany I believe (with the 3 official boxes), maybe missed a few other countries. But even before all this (as in late 90s), way before the legislative push, there was already a lot of hostilities between the L+Gs and Ts, so I don't really know all the details. Ts weren't really a thing where I was and I already left by the time they joined (due to the precursors of SJWs). I do keep track of statistics and some arguments, but not enough to faithfully present an informed opinion in this regard of L+G vs T.

There's a lot of thing that doesn't make sense to me though, since there's the claim of feeling of vulnerability from M->F by Ts that's attributed to society even though it's literally a list side-effect of hormonal treatment. The demonization of people that wants to be biological parent (including L+Gs) as somehow discrimination against T (this is one of the thing I accidentally sat through recently and not sure how prevalent it is, I'm still lost whenever I think about). There's also the argument within T community themselves in regards to treatment vs surgery with one side that pushing heavy for reassignment while the others actively push against it, giving younger Ts pre-transition a lot of wtf headaches. On one hand, you've statistic and Ts saying that surgery doesn't help with coping with depression, suicide and dysphoria (sp?), on the other hand, you've Ts claiming that Ts aren't Ts if they don't reassign themselves. This just adds to the clusterfuck (clusterfuckception?).
The transgender community has been really dealing with fighting for any legal footing within LGBT community at large since the seventies, in the eighties as I recall we had an in in the AGENDA bill, and were tossed right under the bus. Transgender has been basically a chronically marginalized condition for over a century(and longer), we're just now getting our feet ourselves in the legals setting and the L&G factions have actually been working against that.

As for the vulnerability we feel... Well trans people are still murdered, beaten, and raped at levels far surpassing most other groups, thats why coming out is something most trans avoid on any large scale. Also L&G more actively demonize people who want to be biological parents, trans people might lash out due to jealousy though, using it as discrimination from a trans standpoint is rather the territory of the loonies. Also trans people are generally moving towards accept of transition with varied levels of treatment and gender reassignment surgeries. A lot of trans people fall into "no surgery" territory because of the militant trans people who think surgery is the end all be all. It's not so much a clusterfuck as a paradigm shift in the community, with some stubborn hangers on to the old ideas.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Lightknight said:
Someone Depressing said:
It started as a parody of feminism, got a lot of flak from feminists for fairly obvious reasons - being a poorly disguised, paper thin way of being sexist while defending yourself by claiming it as humour - but... eventually became a thing.

I just don't understand why this could possibly become a thing, but apparently some people think men don't have enough power in the world. Men suffer from oppression but feminism isn't responsible for that.

Oppression against men is misandry. Oppression against women is misogyny. Equality in gender rights is feminism. I don't see why there needs to be more and more labels.
The unfortunate part of that is that feminism isn't equality in gender rights, even the best feminists only support women's rights, there is nothing done to help lessen the gender biases against men by feminists. Feminists also completely ignore things like prostate cancer and battered men, I'm not saying that's a bad thing, but their goals are female focused. Also the loudest platforms in feminism are misandrists and TERFs, not saying it's the majority of feminists, but it is the loudest and most powerful section. Mens Rights types are much the same, except they focus on oppressive attitudes, laws, and treatments against men, and their loudest and most powerful section happens to be made up of homophobes, transphobes, gay separatists, and misogynists. So two different groups, similar target goals with different focus, and the same essential problem with extremists who make the movements look bad.
Well, since feminism is centered around women's rights I'm not all that concerned with their focus on that topic.

The issue comes more when proponents of the moment support inequality as long as the sufferers of the inequality are members who aren't in their perceived group. This is why MRAs exist.

Feminists and MRAs at their best are just pursuing equality. Anything else and it's going the wrong way.
Yeah that was the point I was getting at there. Too many people flat out vilify whole movements, because of a few raging morons who happen to have the loudest and most influential public platforms. Which is one of the reasons I dislike the entire LGBT community, because there are too many conflicting interests between all four subsets for us to really bond together. That's basically the same problem that egalitarian movement as a whole has, it's too broad with too many individually focused agendas to avoid conflict of interest and focus.
I think the main premise of the LGBT community is the common interest of acceptance and equality. That premise should generally justify the alliance of individuals commonly oppressed over somewhat related issues regarding sexual and gender identity. Everything else, all the more specific interests that might only apply to one subset shouldn't be seen as an interest of the overall group. But I agree that it often is seen as all for one and one for all and can therefore end up reflecting poorly on the overall community when the one ends up being for terrible things.

But hey, individuals making everyone look bad? Just another sign that members of the LGBT community are only human too :p.

BrokenTinker

Sep 11, 2014
BrokenTinker said:

The transgender community has been really dealing with fighting for any legal footing within LGBT community at large since the seventies, in the eighties as I recall we had an in in the AGENDA bill, and were tossed right under the bus. Transgender has been basically a chronically marginalized condition for over a century(and longer), we're just now getting our feet ourselves in the legals setting and the L&G factions have actually been working against that.

As for the vulnerability we feel... Well trans people are still murdered, beaten, and raped at levels far surpassing most other groups, thats why coming out is something most trans avoid on any large scale. Also L&G more actively demonize people who want to be biological parents, trans people might lash out due to jealousy though, using it as discrimination from a trans standpoint is rather the territory of the loonies. Also trans people are generally moving towards accept of transition with varied levels of treatment and gender reassignment surgeries. A lot of trans people fall into "no surgery" territory because of the militant trans people who think surgery is the end all be all. It's not so much a clusterfuck as a paradigm shift in the community, with some stubborn hangers on to the old ideas.
Wish I knew half of this stuff when I was still working as a community outreach worker in regards to reassignment, thanks for enlightening me. L+G tends to be more neutral about biological parents (surrogate parent is talked about quite a bit actually, even the inclusion of a 3rd platonic partner) here, so I guess it's just different distribution due to locations.

thaluikhain said:
BrokenTinker said:
I think it might have to do with the means of exposure, I rarely watch TV,
Ah, ok, mainly thinking of TV comedy here.

BrokenTinker said:
True.

BrokenTinker said:
Here's the thing, there's already an acknowledgement that this IS a problem (even by Justice departments). But it doesn't enter the public consciousness, how do we cut through all that?
We personally, or we as society or institutions?

BrokenTinker said:
One route is comedy which you seem to despise, the serious route is filled with political exploitation. That's the solution I was asking for. I mean, short of a mandatory Justice class as part of the curriculum (the last time that got brought up... it wasn't pretty).
Well, it's not so much in comedy that I despise, it's the way I generally see it come up in comedy, which generally revolves around someone being raped in prison being inherently funny in of itself. I suspect this is due to how society views people in prison.
We personally, society changes overtime and we personally affects it somewhat, but we can't force society to do anything. Institutions are beyond us laymans (and they are failing). I mean, on one hand, I'm sorta promoting dialog of it through means that doesn't require falsification of data. You are against US TV comedy usage of it. These are individual decisions and actions that can build up at the grassroot level to influence the greater dialogue through market forces given that there's enough of us to nudge it around.

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Jan 12, 2010
Lightknight said:
Lightknight said:
Someone Depressing said:
It started as a parody of feminism, got a lot of flak from feminists for fairly obvious reasons - being a poorly disguised, paper thin way of being sexist while defending yourself by claiming it as humour - but... eventually became a thing.

I just don't understand why this could possibly become a thing, but apparently some people think men don't have enough power in the world. Men suffer from oppression but feminism isn't responsible for that.

Oppression against men is misandry. Oppression against women is misogyny. Equality in gender rights is feminism. I don't see why there needs to be more and more labels.
The unfortunate part of that is that feminism isn't equality in gender rights, even the best feminists only support women's rights, there is nothing done to help lessen the gender biases against men by feminists. Feminists also completely ignore things like prostate cancer and battered men, I'm not saying that's a bad thing, but their goals are female focused. Also the loudest platforms in feminism are misandrists and TERFs, not saying it's the majority of feminists, but it is the loudest and most powerful section. Mens Rights types are much the same, except they focus on oppressive attitudes, laws, and treatments against men, and their loudest and most powerful section happens to be made up of homophobes, transphobes, gay separatists, and misogynists. So two different groups, similar target goals with different focus, and the same essential problem with extremists who make the movements look bad.
Well, since feminism is centered around women's rights I'm not all that concerned with their focus on that topic.

The issue comes more when proponents of the moment support inequality as long as the sufferers of the inequality are members who aren't in their perceived group. This is why MRAs exist.

Feminists and MRAs at their best are just pursuing equality. Anything else and it's going the wrong way.
Yeah that was the point I was getting at there. Too many people flat out vilify whole movements, because of a few raging morons who happen to have the loudest and most influential public platforms. Which is one of the reasons I dislike the entire LGBT community, because there are too many conflicting interests between all four subsets for us to really bond together. That's basically the same problem that egalitarian movement as a whole has, it's too broad with too many individually focused agendas to avoid conflict of interest and focus.
I think the main premise of the LGBT community is the common interest of acceptance and equality. That premise should generally justify the alliance of individuals commonly oppressed over somewhat related issues regarding sexual and gender identity. Everything else, all the more specific interests that might only apply to one subset shouldn't be seen as an interest of the overall group. But I agree that it often is seen as all for one and one for all and can therefore end up reflecting poorly on the overall community when the one ends up being for terrible things.

But hey, individuals making everyone look bad? Just another sign that members of the LGBT community are only human too :p.
The premise is one thing, the practice is an entirely different thing. Groups that are lead by the louder lesbian and gay interest subset are notoriously bad for trans denial, and trans erasure. Though that's because the vocal part of the lesbian and gay communities are rather shady in my opinion, a lot of them play the politics to push personal views, which invariably exclude bisexual and transgender people. It's actually not that uncommon either in the lesbian and gay community to deny the credibility of transgender and bisexual people, so yeah as a lump LGBT community we have have serious issues. The only reason lesbian and gay interest tries to include bisexual and trans, while tending to be deniers on the subjects, is for reasons of looking good politically. That's why you so often find trans people who won't talk about the LGBT community including them, as they identify as part of the trans community, but not the larger LGBT community, even if they aren't straight.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Lightknight said:
Lightknight said:
Someone Depressing said:

The premise is one thing, the practice is an entirely different thing. Groups that are lead by the louder lesbian and gay interest subset are notoriously bad for trans denial, and trans erasure. Though that's because the vocal part of the lesbian and gay communities are rather shady in my opinion, a lot of them play the politics to push personal views, which invariably exclude bisexual and transgender people. It's actually not that uncommon either in the lesbian and gay community to deny the credibility of transgender and bisexual people, so yeah as a lump LGBT community we have have serious issues. The only reason lesbian and gay interest tries to include bisexual and trans, while tending to be deniers on the subjects, is for reasons of looking good politically. That's why you so often find trans people who won't talk about the LGBT community including them, as they identify as part of the trans community, but not the larger LGBT community, even if they aren't straight.
Interesting, thanks for your perspective on it. You seem to be teaching me a lot lately.

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
Lightknight said:
Lightknight said:
Lightknight said:
Someone Depressing said:

Interesting, thanks for your perspective on it. You seem to be teaching me a lot lately.
Just to chime in and back up what's being said, my wife is trans and bi and has major issues with how the gay community treats both trans and bi people. She does not consider herself part of the LGBT community because of this. The maginalization within the larger community is pretty appaling at times. Hearing a supporter of gay rights bash bisexuals in the same ways some christians bash gays is disheartening to say the least. As a sociological study though, it's fascinating.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Gorrath said:
Lightknight said:
Lightknight said:
Lightknight said:
Someone Depressing said:

Just to chime in and back up what's being said, my wife is trans and bi and has major issues with how the gay community treats both trans and bi people. She does not consider herself part of the LGBT community because of this. The maginalization within the larger community is pretty appaling at times. Hearing a supporter of gay rights bash bisexuals in the same ways some christians bash gays is disheartening to say the least. As a socialogical study though, it's fascinating.
Yes, it is morbidly fascinating to say the least. Over the past year I've seen a lot more conflict specifically between the lesbian and transgender communities. But perhaps that's because of how much more mobilized the feminist movement is within the lesbian community and how that may impact gender identities.

I mean, you almost can't write this kind of interaction if you tried.

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
hentropy said:
I feel like the MRM is one small step away from a very important revelation. Unfortunately, taking that step would essentially be putting yourself on the same side as feminists, even radical feminists, so they don't take it.

The revelation is simply the fact that traditional gender roles are entirely bunk and hold little value in an enlightened, free society. Radical feminists call this societal expectations of gender roles the "patriarchy" which is a somewhat annoying term because of how liberally it is used and how it sounds. But the idea remains intact, the "patriarchy", or societal attitudes about gender and sex perpetrated by both men and women dictate how men and women should act through societal coercion. More moderate, contemporary, political feminists sometimes like to use the patriarchy to their own ends, achieving certain political ends using these societal attitudes that benefit them when they see fit.

So when MRAs complain about things like child support, men being expendable, expected to have no emotions, etc. what they're really getting bad about is the "patriarchy" or very old, very traditional views of man that are ingrained in our culture.

Some might say it's the patriarchy "backfiring" but that's not true, because the "patriarchy" is not a gun wielded by man and pointed at women, it's old muskets and cannons and ballistas and trebuchets, no longer manned by those dead for centuries, pointed at all of us, but they blend so seamlessly into the scenery that no one even notices them anymore. Just as we have ancient ideas of class and religion and authoritarianism still present in our culture. The past is always present, whether we like it or not.

We can see the different reactions to this in the "manosphere", people who recognize the inequality but don't want to acknowledge or recognize the root cause. Some take a more "moderate" route (AVFM), ignoring hundreds of years of history and instead want to focus on the last 50 years, thinking that these methods of men-screwing came about with the rise of political feminism. Others take the blue pill, wanting to believe that old, traditional gender types are fine, and that everything would be fine if we just went back to women being nothing but Kinder, Kuche, Kirche [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinder,_K%C3%BCche,_Kirche] (Return of Kings and the ilk). To them, they're willing to accept problems for men so long as women are also getting screwed (both literally and figuratively). Then you just sorta have the ragers, people who don't much care about broader contexts or history or cultural issues and just want to take women down a notch.

But this is why it is easy to simply write them off as misogynists, because they go to such lengths to avoid talking about the root causes of their problems and try to find common ground with feminists, because they have decided for themselves that they are anti-feminist, and thus can't agree with them on anything.
I agree with everything you've said here. I've made all of these same arguments myself many times. But I think you are perhaps giving feminism too much credit and MRM not enough. There are plenty of feminists who think the patriarchy is what you and I both say that it isn't, even influential ones who write books for women's studies courses at Uni. And, there are plenty of MRAs that do understand what you and I have said on this and totally agree.

When more of MRM accepts that traditional gender roles (as enforced by society as rules for acceptable behavior) are the root cause of men's and women's issues, we'll all be better off. On the same note, when more feminists accept that the patriarchy exists because men and women support it and accept that it isn't a weapon weilded by men against women but, as you so rightly say, is pointed at everyone, we'll all be better off. MRM and feminism are rife with bungled attempts to blame the opposite sex for all their woes. The sooner that crap stops the sooner we can confront the real problem.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Gorrath said:
Just to chime in and back up what's being said, my wife is trans and bi and has major issues with how the gay community treats both trans and bi people. She does not consider herself part of the LGBT community because of this. The maginalization within the larger community is pretty appaling at times. Hearing a supporter of gay rights bash bisexuals in the same ways some christians bash gays is disheartening to say the least. As a sociological study though, it's fascinating.
Par for the course, though, that sort of failure is everywhere. Though, makes it particularly exasperating when people talk about the LGBT community as a scary monolithic whole taking over or whatever.

hentropy

Feb 25, 2012
Gorrath said:
I agree with everything you've said here. I've made all of these same arguments myself many times. But I think you are perhaps giving feminism too much credit and MRM not enough. There are plenty of feminists who think the patriarchy is what you and I both say that it isn't, even influential ones who write books for women's studies courses at Uni. And, there are plenty of MRAs that do understand what you and I have said on this and totally agree.

When more of MRM accepts that traditional gender roles (as enforced by society as rules for acceptable behavior) are the root cause of men's and women's issues, we'll all be better off. On the same note, when more feminists accept that the patriarchy exists because men and women support it and accept that it isn't a weapon weilded by men against women but, as you so rightly say, is pointed at everyone, we'll all be better off. MRM and feminism are rife with bungled attempts to blame the opposite sex for all their woes. The sooner that crap stops the sooner we can confront the real problem.
Well this is a thread about the MRM but even then I still took some jabs at feminism. Feminism is like "capitalism", there's some basic agreement about what it's about but calling yourself a capitalist doesn't mean much, specifically. Every country in the world is capitalist to some extent (except maybe North Korea, who knows) but there is still a whole lot of variety within that.

MRM has a decent amount of variety too, but... less. It doesn't help that they don't even really have multiple organizations and well-educated people debating in a rational way, but rather just a few subreddits and websites. Second-wave feminism, especially in their little enclaves, did have a penchant for unabashed misandry and mixed in real rational arguments with trying to strip men of individuality. Third-wave online feminism becomes a bit too fixated on trying to win gold in the Oppression Olympics. It's important to note that fringe groups can really amplify themselves online. At the same time, the second wave gave us self-empowerment shaking off those gender roles while the third is making us aware that feminism, like everything else, is affected by race, class, orientation, gender identity, and other things. That perhaps being an upper-class cis white woman in college isn't exactly the height of systemic oppression.

So you have to take the good with the bad. There has never been a movement where every person, respected or no, was a person with great ideas who could communicate them rationally in ways a layman can consume and understand them. If the MRM had actually done anything beyond complain on the internet about the matriarchal shadow government, then I'd be more inclined to give them more credit.

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
thaluikhain said:
Gorrath said:
Par for the course, though, that sort of failure is everywhere. Though, makes it particularly exasperating when people talk about the LGBT community as a scary monolithic whole taking over or whatever.
Well that's a common response, right? People tend to look at movements they don't agree with as being monolithic groupthink devoid of common sense and critical thought. Some of the smartest people I know do this and it drives me crazy. I do everything I can to avoid this pitfall by looking at what movements stand for, what ideollogy the movement is based on, rather than what members of those movements do/act like. This is also why I tend to be a feminist who constantly argues with feminists, an MRA that constantly argues with MRAs, an LGBT ally that constantly argues with LGBT people and other allies ect. Of course then people often respond by telling me that I'm not a feminist because I'm not blaming men, or not an MRA because I'm not some misogynyst who thinks a woman's place is in the kitchen, or not an animal right's supporter because I love a rare steak. It's an odd thing I don't think I quite understand.