Mens Rights Activists

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime said:
Lil devils x said:
Lil devils x said:
If the MRA really wanted to help men, they would be fighting to stop men from killing men, since men kill me MORE than they even kill women. You have to address the issue of why men are killing so much in the first place to be able to put a stop to it. These social constructs can be improved to reduce these events from happening, but you have to be willing to address the problem first.

These things actually occur MORE in societies with the elevated warrior status vs cultures where the warrior considered worse than being a janitor. To start to address these issues you have to address who/ what people consider role models and heroes to look up to, and work from there.
Actually the fact of the matter is due to the race card being used at a drop of a hat, along with the rewarding of poverty with a pay check is what's driving these issues. When people have little to no hope to get out of poverty and are fed handouts, rather than getting hand ups, people start looking on th less then legal side to get ahead. You add into that the fact that most murders are related to some sort of organized crime, and you start to see some real troubling patterns with society. The problem is that a lot of this men killing men is fueled by racial tensions and illegal drug dealing. Then you have social commentators who dismiss the rampant crime and push for more handouts that further the depth of the of the issues. So rather than elevating people what we're getting a lot of is cramming impoverished people into ghettos, where the only way they can get ahead is through either exploiting men around them, which is what women tend to do, or turning to crime, which is what the men do. The problem is less the warrior culture, or using military members as role models and more the fact that crime is essentially the only way so many people see as their path to being financially secure. There's more to it than just that, but that's the foundation these problems are built on.
I am trying to figure out your reasoning here.. You claim that "poverty is rewarded with a paycheck?" and that leads to more murders?
This makes no sense. In cultures where everything is shared equally among the people and warriors are not revered, they have a history of non violence and no need for force. So in societies where they reward poverty with providing equally for all who live there, even going as far to check on them every night to make sure they have had dinner, they do not have these issues. The thought of " fighting someone" isn't thought to be " tough" there, instead it is thought to be gross and disgusting.
I have no idea where you really get that, as most societies like you just described either never make it out of a very primitive state where each day is a fight for survival, or isolated island nations where they have no need to do much but live day to day. Then you have Communist Governments, and I shouldn't have to tell you the worst time for crime in Russia's history was during the soviet union, or that organized crime shot way up under Mao. Either way what you said is Utopian and unrealistic. But that's not the point.

The point is that in the western world there a lot of desperation because poverty is at epidemic levels, rater than do something that would actually fix that though, the politicians just throw handouts at the problem and call it solved, for a few minutes. When people envy the top earners, but are stuck in poverty with no education and no way out, a life of crime becomes the obvious solution. Basically I'm saying that the problem here is lack of education, poor education, rampant poverty, and the fact that criminal behavior is the easiest way to make a lot of money fast. It's not some ultra masculine warrior culture, it's more economics and politics. Most murders happen because gangs battle for control of supply and distribution, these gangs are formed by underprivileged people, these underprivileged people are kept ignorant and impoverish by lazy and dishonest politicians. If we want to start addressing the males murdering males problem it starts with a solid education, which is the gateway to any decent paying job, which redirects latent energy into something constructive, rather than letting it stew into violent destructive tenancies. That's how civilization was built by the way, by harnessing male energy for constructive purposes.
The poverty is created by the warrior society itself and forcing a "survival of the fittest" mentality where everyone wants " to get theirs and screw everyone else" instead of it being our purpose to take care and treat everyone as family. I posted above which society I was referencing. We solve how people are taught to treat one another from birth, and you solve much of the problem right there.

Gorrila_thinktank

Dec 28, 2010
Lil devils x said:
If the MRA really wanted to help men, they would be fighting to stop men from killing men, since men kill me MORE than they even kill women. You have to address the issue of why men are killing so much in the first place to be able to put a stop to it. These social constructs can be improved to reduce these events from happening, but you have to be willing to address the problem first.

These things actually occur MORE in societies with the elevated warrior status vs cultures where the warrior considered worse than being a janitor. To start to address these issues you have to address who/ what people consider role models and heroes to look up to, and work from there.
Actually the fact of the matter is due to the race card being used at a drop of a hat, along with the rewarding of poverty with a pay check is what's driving these issues. When people have little to no hope to get out of poverty and are fed handouts, rather than getting hand ups, people start looking on th less then legal side to get ahead. You add into that the fact that most murders are related to some sort of organized crime, and you start to see some real troubling patterns with society. The problem is that a lot of this men killing men is fueled by racial tensions and illegal drug dealing. Then you have social commentators who dismiss the rampant crime and push for more handouts that further the depth of the of the issues. So rather than elevating people what we're getting a lot of is cramming impoverished people into ghettos, where the only way they can get ahead is through either exploiting men around them, which is what women tend to do, or turning to crime, which is what the men do. The problem is less the warrior culture, or using military members as role models and more the fact that crime is essentially the only way so many people see as their path to being financially secure. There's more to it than just that, but that's the foundation these problems are built on.
I had to comment on this, the intersection of poverty and civic planning is kind of an interest of mine. Its kind of a cyclic problem right?

This might be getting a little off topic, but if you're interested in radical solutions to this issue, This might be interesting to you:
http://www.cbc.ca/player/Radio/The+180/ID/2411626759/
--> It should be called "Should Canadians get a guaranteed minimum income?"

The solution might not work for other countries, due to canada having free health care and other civic initiatives already in place, but it's still a great way look into the issue.

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Lolita Style, The Best Style!
Jan 12, 2010
Lil devils x said:
The poverty is created by the warrior society itself and forcing a "survival of the fittest" mentality where everyone wants " to get theirs and screw everyone else" instead of it being our purpose to take care and treat everyone as family. I posted above which society I was referencing. We solve how people are taught to treat one another from birth, and you solve much of the problem right there.
The problem using the Hopi as an example is that it's a small scale, and honestly primitive tribal society, these kind of ideas don't scale up very well. They keep trying to do things like this in the Arab world, where for a long time women led the initiative. All that's happened in scaling up any tribal society is warfare. Conflict is human nature and pointing out one small group does not prove that the "warrior culture" as you call it is what causes the problem. The problem is deeper and more complex on a societal level than that, but a huge driving force in murder rates in today's world is due to poverty, poor education, and the fact that crime is far easier than doing things legally. That last part especially applies to everyone who wants to make a lot of money in a reasonable time frame. If you take the rewards that drive development in society away,society stagnates.

Gorrila_thinktank said:
I had to comment on this, the intersection of poverty and civic planning is kind of an interest of mine. Its kind of a cyclic problem right?

This might be getting a little off topic, but if you're interested in radical solutions to this issue, This might be interesting to you:

The solution might not work for other countries, due to canada having free health care and other civic initiatives already in place, but it's still a great way look into the issue.
The problem with minimum income is it propagates the same stagnation I just mentioned. When everyone is comfortable you get no innovation and invention, so things just stay the same. Besides that no society can afford to do that with out violating the property rights of people who did put in the hard work. Which means it absolutely robs all incentive, especially when you have a guaranteed minimum income. That makes it almost impossible to motivate one's self to do better.

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
Lil devils x said:
The problem using the Hopi as an example is that it's a small scale, and honestly primitive tribal society, these kind of ideas don't scale up very well. They keep trying to do things like this in the Arab world, where for a long time women led the initiative. All that's happened in scaling up any tribal society is warfare. Conflict is human nature and pointing out one small group does not prove that the "warrior culture" as you call it is what causes the problem. The problem is deeper and more complex on a societal level than that, but a huge driving force in murder rates in today's world is due to poverty, poor education, and the fact that crime is far easier than doing things legally. That last part especially applies to everyone who wants to make a lot of money in a reasonable time frame. If you take the rewards that drive development in society away,society stagnates.

Gorrila_thinktank said:

The problem with minimum income is it propagates the same stagnation I just mentioned. When everyone is comfortable you get no innovation and invention, so things just stay the same. Besides that no society can afford to do that with out violating the property rights of people who did put in the hard work. Which means it absolutely robs all incentive, especially when you have a guaranteed minimum income. That makes it almost impossible to motivate one's self to do better.
Basically traditional Hopi culture is to have small families and live in apartment buildings before apartment buildings were cool. In what way would you think it "not scale up?" The only reason why technology is not used by the Hopi is due to a promise to the earth to take care of the earth and all that dwell upon it and they refuse to use anything that has been shown to harm the earth. Hopi are extreme environmentalists, before most people understood what that meant. Outside of that, Hopi were at the center of trade for North and South America for an extremely long time, unlike what some tend to believe the tribes were far from isolated. The way constructions are built are through thousands of people working together to make it happen voluntarily. Hopi are " experts" at working together.
The star in the middle is where the Hopi are. :)

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Jan 12, 2010
Lil devils x said:
Lil devils x said:

Gorrila_thinktank said:

Basically traditional Hopi culture is to have small families and live in apartment buildings before apartment buildings were cool. In what way would you think it "not scale up?" The only reason why technology is not used by the Hopi is due to a promise to the earth to take care of the earth and all that dwell upon it and they refuse to use anything that has been shown to harm the earth. Hopi are extreme environmentalists, before people understood what that meant. Outside of that, Hopi were at the center of trade for North and South America for an extremely long time, unlike what some tend to believe the tribes were far from isolated.
Now you're arguing reducing the quality of life of people which has never flown. Either way a single unified government like the US does not work like a small(er) independent tribe. While the Hopi were able to maintain good relations they generally seem to have been big time traders too, that points to the fact that they still exploited human nature, and they exploited it for constructive methods. Still they wouldn't work as well on a large scale like most modern nations, especially with so many conflicting priorities in modern society between individuals and groups. Besides that you're still whitewashing the issue the Hopi often had to defend themselves when someone else went on the war path, so had to maintain martial might, which they also had to rely on as traders. It's a wonderful idea, but one that doesn't work in practice in a world full of flawed humans.

Gorrila_thinktank

Dec 28, 2010
Lil devils x said:
Gorrila_thinktank said:
Lil devils x said:
Gorrila_thinktank said:
Lil devils x said:
Guerilla said:
Lil devils x said:
That was not a single source.. the Justice department, SPLC AND the CDC debunked that claim. 11.5% is not greater than 27.3% and EVEN then, the majority of the 11.5% has male perpetrators.

Obnoxious sexist assumption? How many of these places have you been in? I have volunteered my services repeatedly, these guys sometimes have been wheeled in to visit me by paramedics...

http://sfist.com/2012/02/07/man_murdered_in_soma_homeless_shelt.php
http://www.wgme.com/news/features/top-stories/stories/skowhegan-man-arrested-alleged-assault-at-homeless-shelter-27419.shtml#.VV2q309VhHw
http://www.thefix.com/content/drugs-violence-nj-halfway90273
http://www.wect.com/story/4907272/homeless-shelter-robbed
http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/index.ssf/2010/03/man_staying_at_homeless_shelte.html
http://www.10news.com/news/man-at-homeless-shelter-punched-robbed
http://www.channel3000.com/news/Worker-beaten-at-homeless-shelter/30371046
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/nation/2010-02-10-ohio-homeless-shelter-attack_N.htm
to name a few.

OF course " women can be violent" however, men are MUCH more violent. Men attack both men and women much more than women attack men or women.

" Males committed the vast majority of homicides in the United States at that time, representing 90.5% of the total number of offenders." THINK about the number for a second... more than 90% Over 90% of homicides were carried out by males.. That isn't just a little more..
The DOJ and other organizations talk about reported cases. The studies are about what really going on in relationships. There have been many other studies that confirm that men don't report abuse. I'm getting really tired of repeating the same info, you're purposely ignoring the data.

Also the data on reported homicides has nothing to do with relationships since the the overwhelming majority of homicide victims are men. This is a completely different issue that has more to do with men being genetically predisposed to fight (something that I'm sure you people "forget" when you comment on superhero and action movies not having enough female characters but you sure don't when you demonize men using homicide statistics).
It isn't a different issue at all and has EVERYTHING to do with relationships. Lets go to just the data on relationships... Most homicide victims are men, however, most intimate partner victims are FEMALE. It doesn't " demonize men" to look at the homicide statistics, that is just looking at the facts. If we want to stop this, we have to address this very serious issue not pretend like we cannot look at it for what it is because you think that will demonize men. We don;t need to sugar coat this to resolve it, that does nothing to help stop it from happening, and I would like to think that is our ultimate goal is to reduce the numbers of people this happens to. The purpose of the "Battered women's shelter"s IS to prevent homicides by intimate partners. That is why they exist. So of course we have to address the issue not tip toe around it.

"Where the victim/offender relationship was known, female murder victims were almost 6 times more likely than male murder victims to have been killed by an intimate (42% vs 7%)."
http://opdv.ny.gov/statistics/nationaldvdata/intparthom.html

Men are more likely to be killed by a male acquaintance than an intimate partner.
"56% of male murder victims were killed by an acquaintance; another 25% were murdered by a stranger. The percentage of males killed by an intimate fell from 10% in 1980 to 5% in 2008, a 53% drop."

There are MANY studies women do not report abuse as well, not reporting abuse happens with BOTH men AND WOMEN.

For example:
"The current study found that 90 percent of women who had encountered the criminal legal system for previous intimate partner abuse victimization's did not contact the police for some or all recurrences."

http://mysite.du.edu/~adeprinc/goverweltonetal2013.pdf
http://jech.bmj.com/content/58/7/536.full
Women Afraid to Report Domestic Abuse
https://www.rosebrooks.org/news-holiday-violence.html
Most young women, girls in US don?t report sexual abuse, believe it is part of life
http://www.americanbazaaronline.com/2014/04/16/young-women-girls-us-dont-report-sexual-abuse-believe-part-life/
Damn. Well I guess that's it. Men are violent and women need protection. I can see why the MRA are fighting against these stats. The burden of expectation on something like this must suck. But we'll always have eugenics right? Maybe Valerie Solanas was right.
If the MRA really wanted to help men, they would be fighting to stop men from killing men, since men kill men MORE than they even kill women. You have to address the issue of why men are killing so much in the first place to be able to put a stop to it. These social constructs can be improved to reduce these events from happening, but you have to be willing to address the problem first.

In societies where the strong are considered the ones who refrain from violence and admire understanding and compassion instead, you do not have this problem, they view violence and anger as immature and disgusting like a 2 year old throwing a tantrum instead, and do not respect it.
Which countries are you talking about? I haven't traveled much, so the closest people I know of to what you're describing sound like the Mennonites. Are you talking about the Mennonites? I think it would be a great about face if the answer to man's inhumanity to man was God. I dont know if we want to bring religion into the thread, that may be one more big I issues then we can all deal with here ;)

Speaking towards the general discussion; If the stats that Lil devils x has brought forward are true, how do we go about solving them, without using those same stats to bludgeon males? I can easily envision these stats really screwing up a little boy if he heard them in the wrong tone. Is presentation key?
I am Hopi. ( Which is actually a matriarchal society where women are traditionally the ones to own property,conduct business and control the economy and the men take the woman's name upon marriage)
http://voluntaryist.com/forthcoming/unconquered.html#.VV3XqU9VhHw
http://www.legendsofamerica.com/na-hopi.html

In addition:
We use these stats to show what happens if we do not work to improve this. This shows hat we cannot allow this to continue and we have to be mindful to take action to stop these things. We should use this as an educational opportunity to help teach better methods to handle anger and teach all children from birth up the importance to show respect to all things. We instead teach compassion and understanding and alternative ways to live without hatred. Understanding and compassion can cure hatred.
I see what your saying, and I agree with the principle that you are saying it in. But I`m still not sold on the practical aspects as you have stated them. Specifically, I am a Christian, and even when our capstone ethical principle is "... likewise, love your neighbor as yourself..." we can see just how badly that has been carried out. I'm skeptical of any group that claims utopia, and the links you gave about the Hopi people sound utopian.

I'm not going to hold you to the anwser, but how do you see Hopi Voluntaryism scaling up into a post-industrial? what would it have looked like if the Hopi had not been colonized?

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
Lil devils x said:
Lil devils x said:

Gorrila_thinktank said:

Basically traditional Hopi culture is to have small families and live in apartment buildings before apartment buildings were cool. In what way would you think it "not scale up?" The only reason why technology is not used by the Hopi is due to a promise to the earth to take care of the earth and all that dwell upon it and they refuse to use anything that has been shown to harm the earth. Hopi are extreme environmentalists, before people understood what that meant. Outside of that, Hopi were at the center of trade for North and South America for an extremely long time, unlike what some tend to believe the tribes were far from isolated.
Now you're arguing reducing the quality of life of people which has never flown. Either way a single unified government like the US does not work like a small(er) independent tribe. While the Hopi were able to maintain good relations they generally seem to have been big time traders too, that points to the fact that they still exploited human nature, and they exploited it for constructive methods. Still they wouldn't work as well on a large scale like most modern nations, especially with so many conflicting priorities in modern society between individuals and groups. Besides that you're still whitewashing the issue the Hopi often had to defend themselves when someone else went on the war path, so had to maintain martial might, which they also had to rely on as traders. It's a wonderful idea, but one that doesn't work in practice in a world full of flawed humans.
In what way are you reducing the quality of life? I was not aware that I said anything about reducing the quality of life. No, the US government would never work for the Hopi, due to the core belief you cannot have someone else make your decisions for you. Core Hopi beliefs are in conflict with a representative government. Hopi rarely ever had to defend themselves, as the Hopi were quite generous, not " exploitative" as you suggested. Many tribes came to Hopi for help and were treated as family, as that is part of core Hopi beliefs. Even the Spanish were welcomed to live alongside the Hopi at first until they became bored and left. The Spanish were an issue later, when they were committing atrocities against other tribes and those tribes came to the Hopi for help and even then the majority of the tribe condemned those Hopi who defeated the Spanish, as it is the "Hopi way" to take care of all things and replace evil with good" instead of participating in it.

It would be an improvement to the quality of life to have everyone take care of each other and treat everyone with respect, not reduce it.

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Jan 12, 2010
Lil devils x said:
Lil devils x said:
Lil devils x said:

Gorrila_thinktank said:

In what way are you reducing the quality of life? I was not aware that I said anything about reducing the quality of life. No, the US government would never work for the Hopi, due to the core belief you cannot have someone else make your decisions for you. Core Hopi beliefs are in conflict with a representative government. Hopi rarely ever had to defend themselves, as the Hopi were quite generous, not " exploitative" as you suggested. Many tribes came to Hopi for help and were treated as family, as that is part of core Hopi beliefs. Even the Spanish were welcomed to live alongside the Hopi at first until they became bored and left. The Spanish were an issue later, when they were committing atrocities against other tribes and those tribes came to the Hopi for help and even then the majority of the tribe condemned those Hopi who defeated the Spanish, as it is the "Hopi way" to take care of all things and replace evil with good" instead of participating in it.
I'm not saying the Hopi were exploitative, I'm saying they found a social way to exploit human nature for their positive net gain. The way you explain it is as a group of saints. Those around them wouldn't have let them survive had what you say been absolutely true. While friendly societies exist and work, they also have to stand up for themselves. You're projecting a very unrealistic pie in the sky version of the history. Either way as things work and as civilization works the Hopi way isn't exactly practical.

Gorrila_thinktank

Dec 28, 2010
Lil devils x said:

Gorrila_thinktank said:

I'm kind of gritting my teeth here. I really dont want to sound like i'm attacking you, but did you listen to the radio segment? -->See! theres no way to say that like im not trying to pick a fight!

So the plan as proposed does have its grounding in the real-world experimentation. The core turning point seems to be a "stitch in time" solution as opposed to giving help when it get's really bad. Once again, I have to point out that this solution might only work in Canada do to our existing stance on free, universal healthcare and our other social initiatives. That being said, if we actually helped our neighbours, we wouldn't be looking to the government for social assistance. And by 'we' I also mean me.

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
Gorrila_thinktank said:
Lil devils x said:
Gorrila_thinktank said:
Lil devils x said:
Gorrila_thinktank said:
Lil devils x said:
Guerilla said:
Lil devils x said:
That was not a single source.. the Justice department, SPLC AND the CDC debunked that claim. 11.5% is not greater than 27.3% and EVEN then, the majority of the 11.5% has male perpetrators.

Obnoxious sexist assumption? How many of these places have you been in? I have volunteered my services repeatedly, these guys sometimes have been wheeled in to visit me by paramedics...

http://www.wgme.com/news/features/top-stories/stories/skowhegan-man-arrested-alleged-assault-at-homeless-shelter-27419.shtml#.VV2q309VhHw
http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/index.ssf/2010/03/man_staying_at_homeless_shelte.html
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/nation/2010-02-10-ohio-homeless-shelter-attack_N.htm
to name a few.

OF course " women can be violent" however, men are MUCH more violent. Men attack both men and women much more than women attack men or women.

" Males committed the vast majority of homicides in the United States at that time, representing 90.5% of the total number of offenders." THINK about the number for a second... more than 90% Over 90% of homicides were carried out by males.. That isn't just a little more..
The DOJ and other organizations talk about reported cases. The studies are about what really going on in relationships. There have been many other studies that confirm that men don't report abuse. I'm getting really tired of repeating the same info, you're purposely ignoring the data.

Also the data on reported homicides has nothing to do with relationships since the the overwhelming majority of homicide victims are men. This is a completely different issue that has more to do with men being genetically predisposed to fight (something that I'm sure you people "forget" when you comment on superhero and action movies not having enough female characters but you sure don't when you demonize men using homicide statistics).
It isn't a different issue at all and has EVERYTHING to do with relationships. Lets go to just the data on relationships... Most homicide victims are men, however, most intimate partner victims are FEMALE. It doesn't " demonize men" to look at the homicide statistics, that is just looking at the facts. If we want to stop this, we have to address this very serious issue not pretend like we cannot look at it for what it is because you think that will demonize men. We don;t need to sugar coat this to resolve it, that does nothing to help stop it from happening, and I would like to think that is our ultimate goal is to reduce the numbers of people this happens to. The purpose of the "Battered women's shelter"s IS to prevent homicides by intimate partners. That is why they exist. So of course we have to address the issue not tip toe around it.

"Where the victim/offender relationship was known, female murder victims were almost 6 times more likely than male murder victims to have been killed by an intimate (42% vs 7%)."

Men are more likely to be killed by a male acquaintance than an intimate partner.
"56% of male murder victims were killed by an acquaintance; another 25% were murdered by a stranger. The percentage of males killed by an intimate fell from 10% in 1980 to 5% in 2008, a 53% drop."

There are MANY studies women do not report abuse as well, not reporting abuse happens with BOTH men AND WOMEN.

For example:
"The current study found that 90 percent of women who had encountered the criminal legal system for previous intimate partner abuse victimization's did not contact the police for some or all recurrences."

Most young women, girls in US don?t report sexual abuse, believe it is part of life
http://www.americanbazaaronline.com/2014/04/16/young-women-girls-us-dont-report-sexual-abuse-believe-part-life/
Damn. Well I guess that's it. Men are violent and women need protection. I can see why the MRA are fighting against these stats. The burden of expectation on something like this must suck. But we'll always have eugenics right? Maybe Valerie Solanas was right.
If the MRA really wanted to help men, they would be fighting to stop men from killing men, since men kill men MORE than they even kill women. You have to address the issue of why men are killing so much in the first place to be able to put a stop to it. These social constructs can be improved to reduce these events from happening, but you have to be willing to address the problem first.

In societies where the strong are considered the ones who refrain from violence and admire understanding and compassion instead, you do not have this problem, they view violence and anger as immature and disgusting like a 2 year old throwing a tantrum instead, and do not respect it.
Which countries are you talking about? I haven't traveled much, so the closest people I know of to what you're describing sound like the Mennonites. Are you talking about the Mennonites? I think it would be a great about face if the answer to man's inhumanity to man was God. I dont know if we want to bring religion into the thread, that may be one more big I issues then we can all deal with here ;)

Speaking towards the general discussion; If the stats that Lil devils x has brought forward are true, how do we go about solving them, without using those same stats to bludgeon males? I can easily envision these stats really screwing up a little boy if he heard them in the wrong tone. Is presentation key?
I am Hopi. ( Which is actually a matriarchal society where women are traditionally the ones to own property,conduct business and control the economy and the men take the woman's name upon marriage)

In addition:
We use these stats to show what happens if we do not work to improve this. This shows hat we cannot allow this to continue and we have to be mindful to take action to stop these things. We should use this as an educational opportunity to help teach better methods to handle anger and teach all children from birth up the importance to show respect to all things. We instead teach compassion and understanding and alternative ways to live without hatred. Understanding and compassion can cure hatred.
I see what your saying, and I agree with the principle that you are saying it in. But I`m still not sold on the practical aspects as you have stated them. Specifically, I am a Christian, and even when our capstone ethical principle is "... likewise, love your neighbor as yourself..." we can see just how badly that has been carried out. I'm skeptical of any group that claims utopia, and the links you gave about the Hopi people sound utopian.

I'm not going to hold you to the anwser, but how do you see Hopi Voluntaryism scaling up into a post-industrial? what would it have looked like if the Hopi had not been colonized?
I don't see it as " Utpoian" I see it as practical, nothing is " perfect" however it may sound Utopian due to the religious beliefs being a lifestyle. Hopi are firm believers in self determination, that we have the power to create a paradise on this earth or destroy it and turn it into a hell of suffering. That our actions and choices will determine what we will be forced to live through on this earth. If we pollute it and damage it we will suffer from the damaged environment and our children and grandchildren will suffer. IF we are mindful and take care of all things, we can build a paradise together. Most people want to build a paradise and are willing to work for it. That is how things are done in Hopi society, due to those core beliefs. The Hopi have not been colonized exactly.. Some still live has they have for thousands of years, Hopi have never fought a war against the US or been relocated. LOL

Scaling up, isn't really an issue considering Hopi have always been preparing for a more populated earth to begin with. According to Hopi beliefs, the " Hopi way" the life plan was designed so 1) there would be enough resources to take care of everyone 2) the Hopi live in apartments to reduce the amount of space taken up and to allow for more people into a smaller area, 3)people living together in close quarters can do so very well when taught the principles of respect, compassion and understanding a part of their life plan from birth. The way the Hopi live is thousands of people in compact apartment like buildings, close together already.

The primary difference is everything among the Hopi is shared equally regardless of social status, everyone is cared for equally. Every night for example, many women go door to door to every house making sure everyone has had dinner for the night. By doing so, they not only make sure everyone has been fed, they notice immediately if someone is sick, injured, in danger, or needs help around the house. This is part of " the Hopi way" ( Hopi lifeplan)

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
Lil devils x said:
Lil devils x said:
Lil devils x said:

Gorrila_thinktank said:

I'm not saying the Hopi were exploitative, I'm saying they found a social way to exploit human nature for their positive net gain. The way you explain it is as a group of saints. Those around them wouldn't have let them survive had what you say been absolutely true. While friendly societies exist and work, they also have to stand up for themselves. You're projecting a very unrealistic pie in the sky version of the history. Either way as things work and as civilization works the Hopi way isn't exactly practical.
It actually is extremely practical.. Even the US military decided not to attack them after speaking with the Hopi.. Violence is not the only way to resolve issues, and that is how the Hopi people have survived as the longest continuously occupied settlement in North America. Not through war, but through being experts at " working together". It is not exploitative to work for the better good of society and benefit for doing so.

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
Lil devils x said:
Guerilla said:
Lil devils x said:

to name a few.

For example:

I read through some of your responses to other people in the thread and take exception to some of your claims. Firstly, that the numbers on male victims of demostic abuse are skewed because studies don't account for male on male violence in homosexual intimate partner relationships and secondly, that women are more likely to be victims of domestic abuse.

This study: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1854883/

Is an analysis of meta-data from self-reported. It controls for your claim about male/male violence by only considering heterosexual relationships. It concludes that men and women in reciprocal violent relationships are about equal in initiating the violence and that non-reciprocal IPV is intiated by women about 70% of the time. This does not jive with your claims that women are more likely to be victims than men or that women being more violent has been, as you say, "debunked."

It also finds that men are more likely to injure their intimate partner, 20%-8% in non-reciprocal IPV and 30%-25% in reciprocal IPV. I am not as confident on how those numbers should be interpreted though as the study does not analyze severity of injury or whether medical attention was sought. It does suggest however that most IPV injury occurs when both aprtners are violent with one-another and violence escalates.

The study also notes that men are less likely to report domestic violence comitted against them and less likely to seek medical attention for injury caused by IPV. My own speculation would be that this is because a lot of the IPV which injures men is reciprocal violence and they feel that seeking medical attention or reporting the violence to the police will more than likely lead to their arrest even if their partner initiated it. As you say, neither sex tends to report domestic violence but men especially so given the greater possible consequences of reporting it.

In any case, this study is peer reviewed, has a large sample size that the authors consider to be nationally representative. It does carry two big caveats in that it relies on self-reporting (though this is still better than using department of justice numbers, or the SPLC) and that it covers an age range of 18-28, though there does not seem to be any reason to assume that the older a couple gets the more likely they are to engage in domestic violence and some reasons to think younger couples are more likely to (less mature, more agressive.)

I'm just another MRA pushing an agenda though and the facts be damned. Stupid mysogynist National Library of Medicine and National Health Institutes... (I'm kidding, of course)

Gorrila_thinktank

Dec 28, 2010
Lil devils x said:
Lil devils x said:
Lil devils x said:

Gorrila_thinktank said:

Just to chime in Lil devils x, remember, KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime is transgender, she (KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime, im pretty sure you said you were MtF, sorry if im wrong) owes a lot to modern society due to the advances in medical care modern society has given her. Give this, can't you see how she would be a bit leery of a pre-industrial society being held up as something wonderful? Thats a pretty tough dichotomy to have to choose between.

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Jan 12, 2010
Lil devils x said:
I don't see it as " Utpoian" I see it as practical, nothing is " perfect" however it may sound Utopian due to the religious beliefs being a lifestyle. Hopi are firm believers in self determination, that we have the power to create a paradise on this earth or destroy it and turn it into a hell of suffering. That our actions and choices will determine what we will be forced to live through on this earth. If we pollute it and damage it we will suffer from the damaged environment and our children and grandchildren will suffer. IF we are mindful and take care of all things, we can build a paradise together. Most people want to build a paradise and are willing to work for it. That is how things are done in Hopi society, due to those core beliefs. The Hopi have not been colonized exactly.. Some still live has they have for thousands of years, Hopi have never fought a war against the US or been relocated. LOL

Scaling up, isn't really an issue considering Hopi have always been preparing for a more populated earth to begin with. According to Hopi beliefs, the " Hopi way" the life plan was designed so 1) there would be enough resources to take care of everyone 2) the Hopi live in apartments to reduce the amount of space taken up and to allow for more people into a smaller area, 3)people living together in close quarters can do so very well when taught the principles of respect, compassion and understanding a part of their life plan from birth. The way the Hop live is thousands of people in compact apartment like buildings, close together already.

The primary difference is everything among the Hopi is share equally regardless of social status, everyone is cared for equally. Every night for example, many women go door to door to every house making sure everyone has had dinner for the night. By doing so, they not only make sure everyone has been fed, they notice immediately if someone is sick, injured, in danger, or needs help around the house. This is part of " the Hopi way" ( Hopi lifeplan)
Like I said before it's wonderful and idealistic. Unfortunately that idealistic way of thinking oft flies straight in the face of human nature and eventually it would have caught with the Hopi one way, or another. That said the earth will eventually not be able to support human growth and expansion, even if we maximize all of our resource usage, the Earth is a finite resource. Eventually we'll have to start building space colonies and when ever we crack the light speed barrier, we'll also have to look into colonizing other planets in other star systems. One day our planet will die, one day our sun will die. We're going to need to be ready for that eventuality, we're going to need to move, because I for one see human survival going on much longer than today as we continue to advance.

Also we've lost the point. My point is that we need to reduce the reasons for crime, to that end people need to become more productive as an outlet for energy that could become potentially violent. Catharsis through media like video games is helping that. But a massive part of what needs to be done is to get more people educated and into comfortable lifestyles. There we start to reduce domestic abuse and other crime. We need progress not to look on wishful thinking.

Gorrila_thinktank

Dec 28, 2010
Lil devils x said:
Gorrila_thinktank said:
Lil devils x said:
Gorrila_thinktank said:
Lil devils x said:
Gorrila_thinktank said:
Lil devils x said:
Guerilla said:
Lil devils x said:

to name a few.

For example:

In addition:

Scaling up, isn't really an issue considering Hopi have always been preparing for a more populated earth to begin with. According to Hopi beliefs, the " Hopi way" the life plan was designed so 1) there would be enough resources to take care of everyone 2) the Hopi live in apartments to reduce the amount of space taken up and to allow for more people into a smaller area, 3)people living together in close quarters can do so very well when taught the principles of respect, compassion and understanding a part of their life plan from birth. The way the Hopi live is thousands of people in compact apartment like buildings, close together already.

The primary difference is everything among the Hopi is shared equally regardless of social status, everyone is cared for equally. Every night for example, many women go door to door to every house making sure everyone has had dinner for the night. By doing so, they not only make sure everyone has been fed, they notice immediately if someone is sick, injured, in danger, or needs help around the house. This is part of " the Hopi way" ( Hopi lifeplan)
Nope. That sounds straight up utopian. ;)

but kidding aside, it does sound like a utopian society. and it could work, but it would mean that everyone has to get on board, and I mean everyone. And I mean EVERYONE. Fill me in though, is there an evolving theological framework for the hopi beliefs? You mentioned self determinism, but what about someone who wants to willfully disrupt the community, how is that reacted to? Are there set definitions when it comes to what hurts the earth, vs. what doesn't? Does the community put more weight on the necessities of the people or the conservation of nature?

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Nieroshai said:
Then how is it that people who believe in old-school "egalitarianism-in-disguise" feminism feel they have to side with their radical fringe? Where we have to fear being hated for not siding with Sarkeesian, McIntosh, Rebecca Watson, etc even though we do in fact support equality?
You have to realise that the proportion of feminists who have even heard of the above is really small. It's a movement spanning hundreds of countries, hundreds of millions of people. The percentage of those who have heard of these minor internet figures is relatively tiny, let alone those who "side" with them.

Feminism, like it or not, is a term that implies need for extreme affirmative action on the level of quotas, eggshell-walking, and special privileges.
Think where you got this impression. If it's from minor Internet figures and bloggers, that would indicate a pretty big failure of perspective.

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
It started as a parody of feminism, got a lot of flak from feminists for fairly obvious reasons - being a poorly disguised, paper thin way of being sexist while defending yourself by claiming it as humour - but... eventually became a thing.

I just don't understand why this could possibly become a thing, but apparently some people think men don't have enough power in the world. Men suffer from oppression but feminism isn't responsible for that.

Oppression against men is misandry. Oppression against women is misogyny. Equality in gender rights is feminism. I don't see why there needs to be more and more labels.

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Jan 12, 2010
Someone Depressing said:
It started as a parody of feminism, got a lot of flak from feminists for fairly obvious reasons - being a poorly disguised, paper thin way of being sexist while defending yourself by claiming it as humour - but... eventually became a thing.

I just don't understand why this could possibly become a thing, but apparently some people think men don't have enough power in the world. Men suffer from oppression but feminism isn't responsible for that.

Oppression against men is misandry. Oppression against women is misogyny. Equality in gender rights is feminism. I don't see why there needs to be more and more labels.
The unfortunate part of that is that feminism isn't equality in gender rights, even the best feminists only support women's rights, there is nothing done to help lessen the gender biases against men by feminists. Feminists also completely ignore things like prostate cancer and battered men, I'm not saying that's a bad thing, but their goals are female focused. Also the loudest platforms in feminism are misandrists and TERFs, not saying it's the majority of feminists, but it is the loudest and most powerful section. Mens Rights types are much the same, except they focus on oppressive attitudes, laws, and treatments against men, and their loudest and most powerful section happens to be made up of homophobes, transphobes, gay separatists, and misogynists. So two different groups, similar target goals with different focus, and the same essential problem with extremists who make the movements look bad.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Someone Depressing said:

The unfortunate part of that is that feminism isn't equality in gender rights, even the best feminists only support women's rights, there is nothing done to help lessen the gender biases against men by feminists. Feminists also completely ignore things like prostate cancer and battered men, I'm not saying that's a bad thing, but their goals are female focused. Also the loudest platforms in feminism are misandrists and TERFs, not saying it's the majority of feminists, but it is the loudest and most powerful section. Mens Rights types are much the same, except they focus on oppressive attitudes, laws, and treatments against men, and their loudest and most powerful section happens to be made up of homophobes, transphobes, gay separatists, and misogynists. So two different groups, similar target goals with different focus, and the same essential problem with extremists who make the movements look bad.
Well, since feminism is centered around women's rights I'm not all that concerned with their focus on that topic.

The issue comes more when proponents of the moment support inequality as long as the sufferers of the inequality are members who aren't in their perceived group. This is why MRAs exist.

Feminists and MRAs at their best are just pursuing equality. Anything else and it's going the wrong way.

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Jan 12, 2010
Lightknight said:
Someone Depressing said:

Well, since feminism is centered around women's rights I'm not all that concerned with their focus on that topic.

The issue comes more when proponents of the moment support inequality as long as the sufferers of the inequality are members who aren't in their perceived group. This is why MRAs exist.

Feminists and MRAs at their best are just pursuing equality. Anything else and it's going the wrong way.
Yeah that was the point I was getting at there. Too many people flat out vilify whole movements, because of a few raging morons who happen to have the loudest and most influential public platforms. Which is one of the reasons I dislike the entire LGBT community, because there are too many conflicting interests between all four subsets for us to really bond together. That's basically the same problem that egalitarian movement as a whole has, it's too broad with too many individually focused agendas to avoid conflict of interest and focus.