Mentally Ill Teenage Girl Dies From Suffocation During Exorcism

MGlBlaze

Oct 28, 2009
Am I the only one who noticed this?

A spokesperson for the Nakayamashingoshoshu's (a sect of Buddhism) main temple in Kiyama said: ?The water rite is done to bring one's wishes to reality, but of course you cannot exorcise with it. We also do not instruct to bound the arms and legs when doing the ritual.?
So not only was this a cruel, nonsensical and ignorant practice that resulted in the teenager's death, it could be SOMETHING INTENDED FOR SOMETHING COMPLETELY DIFFERENT used for a cruel, nonsensical and ignorant practice.

That monk and the parents involved in this travesty were either just that ignorant or the most dangerous kind of stupid there is.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Mr.Tea said:
Mathak said:
Psychedeliasmith said:
Literally can't believe that in the first few answers there were people going 'Yes, as a Christian I believe in exorcism'
I have nothing constructive to add. I WANT to say I hadn't even realised that people with internet access could still hold such outdated beliefs but then I've seen people selling spirit familiars online so I guess it's time to give in, we're not going to get better.

OH and for the people whining 'Aw religion bashing SO SAD'

This is about a girl who was killed by an exorcism, and I love that you've made it about how repressed you are.
Show a bit of sympathy. After all, in this era millions of christians are being persecuted by militant atheists worldwide.
How about no? Or have you forgotten the previous "era"... Does the word Crusade ring any bells? Inquisition? Holocaust? Those poor, poor christians are all about love and equality so stop being mean to their ancient ignorant beliefs, right?

Excluding violence against them, maybe they deserve it? Especially if it's just internet forum "persecution".
The Holocaust was from Christians? Learn something new every day.

Also, what he was referring to was the millions of Christians forced into hiding, under threat of, say, imprisonment, cold-torture, waterboarding, impalement, eye-gouging, tongue cutting, dismemberment, disembowelment, etc. Yes, MILLIONS. See: China, Venezuela, Iraq, Jordan, etc.

Also, something my great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great grandsomething may or may not have done means that I deserve to be attacked on an internet forum. Please tell me you see how pants-on-head dumb that is.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Doesn't surprise me, crazy/stupid people still exist so watch out. Actually, just watch the news, you can see them every day. Especially Fox news.

What does surprise me though is how many of you just go on to attack religion. I'm no fan of it either, but you could at least show a little respect. Don't generalise believers with nut cases, I know you know most of them are normal. Treat people the way you want to be treated.

Dr Jones

Join the Bob Dylan Fangroup!
Jun 23, 2010
DJDarque said:
I didn't realize exorcisms still happened nowadays. I thought people were smarter than that.
Yet we still have battles over religion? As long as we can't live in peace with other's religions (provided they dont murder anyone or any other offencive stuff) excorsism will most likely still find a place..

Sectan

Aug 7, 2011
Sneaky-Pie said:
1. Slams against religion.
2. Rebuttals for religion.
3. Repeat steps 1 and 2.
4. Continuously repeat step 3.
5. Realize no one is going to change their opinion.
6. Remove yourself from the situation and thread.

Good talk, everyone.
OMG someone gets it! You win 5 internets. I don't go on the internet to hear people argue. Wait, that's exactly what I do! I never participate, but if I see a topic that has anything to do with religion I know I'll get my dose of controversy. I guess these are my soap operas ;P

ShindoL Shill

Truely we are the Our Avatars XI
Jul 11, 2011
Sneaky-Pie said:
1. Slams against religion.
2. Rebuttals for religion.
3. Repeat steps 1 and 2.
4. Continuously repeat step 3.
5. Realize no one is going to change their opinion.
6. Remove yourself from the situation and thread.

Good talk, everyone.
you forgot step 7: have kitty as your pwofile pic omigoshsocute!
ahem.
dogs, mutton chops, muscle cars, great stonking tits.
+10 Masculinity!
yeeah.

OT: so, they thought that drowning her would make her normal, except she wasnt possessed and demons dont exist. and she's mentally ill.

i've got to agree with Picard and Riker here...

ShadowsofHope

Outsider
Nov 1, 2009
rancher of monsters said:
You misread me a bit, I didn't say you would defend him, I said you would defend your own beliefs when people try to associate you with him.
Maybe other atheists, if they are overtly concerned with the opinions of other people. Personally? I don't care what anyone else believes about me, unless it adversely affects something such as a career in the future or a job/school in the present. If someone wants to equate a obviously sane individual with someone whom is walking down the streets punching babies while screaming a belief that only partially echo's my own (I'm an Agnostic Atheist, I leave possibility for deities (albeit a very low possibility) - militant atheists rarely do). I can ignore the disingenuous assertions of others rather easily.

I've never heard of a problem with this ritual before, nor does the article mention one, so I'm assuming the regular version is probably safe.
Oh, it probably is relatively safe. I wouldn't be debating that if were any other way.

However, here we see the priest is not only using the ritual for the wrong purpose, but he is also making it far more dangerous.
See my last response.

That being said, is there a problem with the normal ritual, well none that I know of. So why should we look at the rest of the Bhuddhist community and tell them their beliefs are dangerous and insane now?
I never said their belief's were dangerous (or at least, not commonly so) or insane, don't put words in my mouth. I said that the concept of an exorcism in modern day reality tends to be rather disingenuous to claim effectiveness of dealing with a "realistic" possession when the ritual itself, when examined by outside sources, is little more than a massive placebo effect that either has the potential to make an already mentally unstable individual even worse psychologically (not to mention those restraints and struggling combined can cause some very serious injuries), or.. well, make them even more complacent with the whims and control fetishes many priests whom perform such rituals seems to desire out of their "flock", and completely ignore a very serious mental health problem that is only temporarily dormant due to the placebo effect.

However, as long as they ensure to go through proper mental health science channels before they decide to go through with an exorcism, then I am content. At least then, they are allowing actual science and psychology to attempt to help address the problem before they turn to their faith-based belief's for the same.

Pirakahunter788

Feb 4, 2011
Mad Stalin said:
Who honestly cares? Men and women can be replaced in 9 months. Never understood the point of grieving the dead
At first I was going to say something against your comment, then I saw your avatar.
Good show my friend, good show.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Mad Stalin said:
Who honestly cares? Men and women can be replaced in 9 months. Never understood the point of grieving the dead
Am... Am I being trolled? I can't tell thanks to your avatar.

Thaius

Mar 5, 2008
chiggerwood said:
Project_Omega said:
Exorcism is real, but it can be hard from distincting a demonic possession from mental illness sometimes. We are only human after all.
It's always nice to see someone religious on these forums that's not afraid to voice their opinions. I too believe that demon possession is possible, (I'm Christian) but I also believe that 99.99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999% of all cases of believed demon possession are mistakes (there might be a few) and are actually mental illness, and the parents are just really desperate, and that the person performing the exorcism is an probably a (well intentioned) idiot. Having said all that I'd just like to say, Good luck to ye on this thread!

And remember Parents : Always COMPLETELY exhaust Medication and hospitalization before even letting the very notion of the supernatural creep into your mind, and remember if doctors can't help it's probably still mental illness, they're doctors not God.
Thanks for being a voice of reason here. I agree entirely, and it's nice to see your post in a sea of predictable "Derp religion is stupid, this proves it!" posts.

Giest4life

The Saucepan Man
Feb 13, 2010
I don't know how severe the condition of the poor girl was, but I can say that the parents and that monk were inflicted with a very severe case of the Stupid. They should not be tried for criminal abuse, or criminal negligence, or something like that. No, they need to be tried for manslaughter, at the very least. They should not be allowed to hide behind the cloak of religion, and we should see heinous crime behind that veil of ignorance. Sickening, really.

Pirakahunter788

Feb 4, 2011
lacktheknack said:
Mad Stalin said:
Am... Am I being trolled? I can't tell thanks to your avatar.
He must be a master of deception. Go get the corkscrew, I'll tie him down.
_>

kickyourass

Apr 17, 2010
What the fuck guys? I thought Buddists were supposed be the ones that didn't do shit like this. Even if they believed she had a demon and that running water over her head would get it out (something that this particular ritual WAS NEVER MEANT TO DO), surely SOMBODY in attendance was aware that if you have somebody breathing water instead of oxygen for 5 minutes THEY FUCKING DIE!

ShadowsofHope

Outsider
Nov 1, 2009
lacktheknack said:
Also, what he was referring to was the millions of Christians forced into hiding, under threat of, say, imprisonment, cold-torture, waterboarding, impalement, eye-gouging, tongue cutting, dismemberment, disembowelment, etc. Yes, MILLIONS. See: China, Venezuela, Iraq, Jordan, etc.
Since when are there militant atheists in the middle east now? China I can see, but the rest of those locations mentioned are typically due to Christian organizations (churches, charities, etc) attempting to take power away from the corrupt despots ruling there and losing, in which case the punishment is typically torture or execution, or they are proselytizing in an area that other more dominant religions (such as the various sects of Islam) in the region do not see as acceptable, and henceforth they make examples to enforce such barriers. Not to say that those actions are justified of course, they are not, but you are being rather disingenuous if you are going to claim that those deaths are performed by atheists of any type.

lacktheknack said:
Also, something my great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great grandsomething may or may not have done means that I deserve to be attacked on an internet forum. Please tell me you see how pants-on-head dumb that is.
No one is being attacked, only a ritual closely related with certain religious sects is due to it's controversial nature in a modern day world. You are not your religion, you simply follow it's tenets, like everyone else whom shares your belief's.