Mentally Ill Teenage Girl Dies From Suffocation During Exorcism

brodie21

Apr 6, 2009
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
A "waterfall service"?

Sorry, but im laughing pretty hard right now. I know it happened in Japan but this whole thing puts me in mind of some stupid redneck. "Oh yeah, lets just tie this ***** down and pour water down her throat for 5 minutes non stop. Dont see how THAT could be a bad idea."

I mean, come one now. The other thing thats kinda amusing is how this deeply religious family was probably all like "Yeah, this be demons and shit man, cant rely on all that unholy modern medicine and stuff, they aint got no clue about this shit, we gonna do it the old way, gods way man. Wait, shes unconscious? SHIT, CALL THE FUCKING AMBULANCE! I NEED ONE OF THOSE FUNNY DOCTOR TYPES HERE ASAP!"

One thing I dont get though: what religion were they practicing here? I dont remember any Buddhist teachings about exorcism.
A spokesperson for the Nakayamashingoshoshu's (a sect of Buddhism) main temple in Kiyama said: ?The water rite is done to bring one's wishes to reality, but of course you cannot exorcise with it. We also do not instruct to bound the arms and legs when doing the ritual.?
that wasnt an exorcism, that was actually a drowning.
In Buddhism, exorcism exists depending on the Buddhist sect. Each differs from the others: some view it as metaphorical, some esoteric, and some even literal. Some Tibetan Buddhists view exorcism as being nothing more than a metaphor for expelling negative thoughts and transforming them into enlightened mind.
Certain Buddhists believe in blessings rather than exorcisms to rid themselves or property of negative thoughts and/or negative spirits.
In Mahayana Buddhism (or rather Tibetan Vajrayana Buddhism) evil spirits are rather conversed, and turned into becoming serving, especially wrathful protecting spirits of the Dharma. The tantra (lineage of spiritual craftsmanship) of exorcism in Buddhism may be identified with Vajrakilaya tantra (see Kila (Buddhism)).
seems like Buddhists dont practice 'exorcisms' the way we think of them

ShadowsofHope

Outsider
Nov 1, 2009
Estelindis said:
ShadowsofHope said:
It's foolish to say that those whom choose to follow their career paths fully through their school years and don't take a theology course on the side can't ever criticize religion, especially when there are other more useful, various sources in places such as libraries and the internet in which to learn more on religions without taking a fancy course for it. Saying you can only criticize religions if you have a college or university level degree understanding of it's concepts is somewhat special pleading, considering many religious individuals would not give non-religious topics such as science and medicine the same virtue in return.
Well, I agree with you. :) I just disputed the idea that religious qualification was equivalent to religious belief, since you appeared to be claiming just that.

For the record, I think that everyone has the right to an opinion on any issue, but if they want the content of that opinion to be respected then they should be ready to back it up. Not necessarily with a PhD, of course, but at the same time they should be willing to be corrected if an expert can offer better insight on the subject (and is willing to explain it, of course, rather than just bludgeoning them with the letters after their name).
Glad I could clear that up, then. And, we ultimately do agree in the end for the entirety of that last paragraph, yes.

Estelindis

Jan 25, 2008
ShadowsofHope said:
Glad I could clear that up, then. And, we ultimately do agree in the end for the entirety of that last paragraph, yes.
Well, I'm glad too. Hooray for agreement!

jpoon

Mar 26, 2009
This just in, bullshit religion responsible for woman's death! Shocker to say the least.

slyph

Apr 15, 2009
It's kind of sad that comments on this report devolve into people arguing about religion.

It's completely irrelevant if the girl was mentally ill or chock full of a wailing demon host.

This story is still ritualistic child abuse and infanticide, nothing more or less.

Murder, that's all. Religion vs Atheism vs Are Demons Real has fuck all to do with it.

Macrobstar

Apr 28, 2010
Duruznik said:
ShadowsofHope said:
Duruznik said:
megamanenm said:
Duruznik said:
Luykus said:
Yes, please, cue the flood of arrogant, self-righteous dribble bashing religion.

Am I religious, somewhat. Even if I was not, the obnoxious prattle that many people spew forth would sicken me. I grow weary of the constant assault that religion endures, it is being judged by many people not even remotely qualified to do so.
As an Atheist I have to agree. Sure, I don't believe exorcisms are real, but bloody hell I have no proof that they're impossible. And I certainly won't go around calling people who believe otherwise "backward idiots."

The religion-bashing on these forums can get really overpowering at times.

That said, what happened in this case was disgusting and the monk should be put on trial for this. And the father.
So what DO you call people who totally believe in a practice that has no evidence whatsoever that it does anything besides harm people? Actually I wouldn't call them backward idiots either. They're worse than that.
I don't paint them all with the same brush, for starters. I know enough to admit that there's no proof that exorcisms NEVER work- there are plenty of cases where a patient heals which can be attributed to luck or to religion, depending on your beliefs. I don't assume they're all ignorant fuckwits like the folks features in the article. Plenty of religious peopple preform exorcisms but know enough not to submerge their child's head in water. Weird, huh?
While I do happen to agree for the most part, the bolded is 99.9% of the time your friendly application of the Placebo effect. And while the placebo effect may produce results that may seem literal enough, using such results as to create an actual, scientific statistic on the likelihood of an exorcism working the way it is intended do as described by religious dogma is rather disingenuous and misleading to say the least.
True, there is no scientific backing or any way to verify that excorcisms work (like some organized religious institues might want us to believe), but because there is no absolute scientific proof they DON'T work either, I feel I cannot classify every single person who believes in them as an "idiot."

I just think the matter needs to be approached with logic. Sure, if you believe there's a demon in your child I guess you should try to get it out (if that's your thing), but doing anything which you know will harm her health is fucking stupid. Chanting and the like won't hurt, though, that's for sure.
OK can you prove that im not secretly an alien typing this?
Even if you could, just because a belief can't be disproved doesn't mean it should be respected, exorcisms are one of the things that are impossible to test because they have no grounding in reality

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
MmmmmmnnnnnnnnngggbbbbbbvvvvvvhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!

Fuck! The retardedness of some people.

I wish people - when faced with an issue - would take a look at what cause the evidence points towards, and deal with that cause.
At the very least it's good to get a reminder of why dogmatic thinking and rules not based in facts (i.e. organized religion) needs to be done away with.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Cowabungaa said:
Can you smell that? That's the smell of the 21st century right there. Just shows that human kind really hasn't changed that much since, say the Stone Age.

I actually thought Buddhism was more a more sensible religion, overall, than that. Apparently I was wrong.
Project_Omega said:
Exorcism is real

DJDarque said:
I didn't realize exorcisms still happened nowadays. I thought people were smarter than that.
Nope, they're done everywhere in almost any religion. Just not on the scale, luckily, as they did, say, two centuries ago.
Actually they do more exorcisms today then really anytime in the past thanks to them becoming a household name from all the devil/demon possession movies out there. Well, at least christian ones are much more common, I don't know about other religions though.

Pirakahunter788

Feb 4, 2011
luckycharms8282 said:
Pirakahunter788 said:
lacktheknack said:
Mad Stalin said:
Who honestly cares? Men and women can be replaced in 9 months. Never understood the point of grieving the dead
Am... Am I being trolled? I can't tell thanks to your avatar.
He must be a master of deception. Go get the corkscrew, I'll tie him down.
_>
I see an exorcism in his near future :D

:p

:)

:I
Hmm. I wonder what gave you that idea. :]

kittii-chan 300

Feb 27, 2011
Cowabungaa said:
I actually thought Buddhism was more a more sensible religion, overall, than that. Apparently I was wrong.
If it was from Japan It's more han likely a Shinto-Buddhist. Shintoism believes in demons AND torture so...

come on captcha a maths fomula?

Estelindis

Jan 25, 2008
Jonluw said:
it's good to get a reminder of why dogmatic thinking and rules not based in facts (i.e. organized religion) needs to be done away with.
While you are entitled to your opinion, I question the practicality and morality of what you suggest. To "do away" with something does not mean to simply let it die out, but to actively exterminate it. I assume you're aware that this breach of human rights would be actively opposed by many, including a significant number of atheists and agnostics who believe in the right of every human being to follow their own path?

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Mr.Tea said:
lacktheknack said:
Also, what he was referring to was the millions of Christians forced into hiding, under threat of, say, imprisonment, cold-torture, waterboarding, impalement, eye-gouging, tongue cutting, dismemberment, disembowelment, etc. Yes, MILLIONS. See: China, Venezuela, Iraq, Jordan, etc.
All right, so it turns out what he was referring to was actually nothing since it was all sarcasm and I just apologized to him for not seeing it; How nice of you to take it even more seriously.

So all these christians you're referring to, would you say they're forced into hiding by
-internet forumites dismissing their beliefs and rites as outdated and irrelevant
or by
-other religious believers intent on purging their heresy?

Option C: Antitheistic governments. Communism is actually really quite antitheistic.

China is/was especially guilty of this.

lacktheknack said:
Also, something my great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great grandsomething may or may not have done means that I deserve to be attacked on an internet forum. Please tell me you see how pants-on-head dumb that is.
Ah, but that is the whole point of the "religion is archaic" argument; If your great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great grandsomething is of such little relevance to you today, then why is some 2000 years old writing from people who thought the earth was flat and static of such great relevance to you, today?

So your great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great grandsomething does some incredibly harmful shit born out of the ignorance of his religion and you still follow and defend that same religion? Why yes, you deserve to be attacked on an internet forum have anything you say connected to your religion either made fun of as ignorant or dismissed as irrelevant.

Because my great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great grandsomething wasn't Jesus. Or Mohammad. Or Siddhartha. Men who started revolutions for God/a better way of living. My ancestor didn't write/inspire a book that lays out a method of living that's been held as truth by many people for centuries. If religion is archaic, then why is it still alive?

No, I was going for my ancestor attacking people in the Crusades or something. Which I don't feel is relevant to my pacifistic ways today. Unless, you know, my ancestor was totally more relevant to today's landscape than freaking JESUS.

The distinction I make (that I'm not sure is apparent here):
I'm not saying "you're a known 'believer of some religion' and must thus be completely ignored forever". I'm just saying that if you bring anything religious into an argument, then the argument is ruined.

The current argument is about a misused religious rite that killed a teenaged girl.

Actually, the whole argument that got me here was "HOW DARE PEOPLE BELIEVE IN DEMONS AND EXORCISM!!!!1!1!!1" followed by a sarcastic post. How was this going to be about anything OTHER than religion?

P.S:
lacktheknack said:
The Holocaust was from Christians? Learn something new every day.
Ok, so I just looked a little into it and a german census from 1939 put christians at 94%(protestants 54% and catholics 40%). That's the part I kinda knew and was using to say what I said. On the other hand, I must admit I was wrong about the whole of the incident; it appears that if Hitler had had his way, he would've scrapped religion altogether. However, not because of atheism, but in favor of a weird cult-like worship of himself...
Spoilering it aside, thanks for redacting that. <+5 respect points>

xplosive59

Jul 20, 2009
Bluntman1138 said:
lacktheknack said:
The Holocaust was from Christians? Learn something new every day.
Hitler was Roman Catholic. And in his own book, he praises the Glory of Jesus. Not only that, but in MANY of his speeches he invokes the Name of God and Jesus. Hitler even had Papal Sacntion to do what he wanted. The German Army celebrated the Holy Holidays, and had Chaplan units assigned to them just like the US had. Make no mistake, Hitler was a Christitan, no matter what ignorrant people want to tell you, that have never really studied WW2.
Almost correct, he tried to use religion to brainwash the very religious public, when he became dictator he was able to take control of almost all of the churches and use them for propaganda. In basic, he wanted people to revere him as a god and saw that the best way to do that was to manipulate christian beliefs with the Nazis regeme (thats where religious holidays came in), saying that though one of his reasons for the mass genocide of jewish people was basically "the Jews killed Jesus and therefore they should be wiped out". If Hitler had his way however he would of wiped out all of the current religions for one based around worshiping himself.

Kurt Cristal

Mar 31, 2010
remnant_phoenix said:
Queen Michael said:
chiggerwood said:
I too believe there is such a thing as demon possession, (I'm Christian) but I also believe that 99.99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999% of all cases of believed demon possession are mistakes and are actually mental illness, and the parents are just really desperate, and that the person performing the exorcism is an probably a (well intentioned) idiot.
I'm an atheist, and you opinion is one I really respect. You believe in demons but understand that that doesn't mean that every report of them is true.
I'm a Christian, and I completely agree. I do believe in demons and in the possibility of demonic influence/possession, but I wholeheartedly agree that the VAST majority of supposed cases of demons (in the modern day and especially throughout history) are cases of people looking for a supernatural explanation that isn't there.
Okay, that does it! PLEASE cite an example [with sources], where the result of an exorcism was attributed to successful removal of demon possession. If the "vast majority" was illness-related, there has to be at least a few where the actual result is confirmed as demon-related. Right? Also, for bonus points, the person can't be BOTH mentally ill and have demons. That's just cheating.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
Estelindis said:
Jonluw said:
it's good to get a reminder of why dogmatic thinking and rules not based in facts (i.e. organized religion) needs to be done away with.
While you are entitled to your opinion, I question the practicality and morality of what you suggest. To "do away" with something does not mean to simply let it die out, but to actively exterminate it. I assume you're aware that this breach of human rights would be actively opposed by many, including a significant number of atheists and agnostics who believe in the right of every human being to follow their own path?
You wouldn't have to do away with it forcefully. I'm not insinuating we should lead some agressive campaign against all religion.
One way would be to encourage critical thinking and rationality. Wait, why aren't we doing that already?

Causing a shift in society to stick to facts and well proven theories when anything important is concerned needn't be done through methods which infringe on human rights.

SmegInThePants

Feb 19, 2011
I think it does make sense to examine the religion itself. We know in this story that this was a Monk who was acting off-script, according to the story, so we don't have to worry about buddhists in general following this practice. So that's a relief. But what if his entire temple is off-script and shares his belief and other monks from this temple are out there doing this same thing to other young girls. It makes sense to be concerned about the beliefs themselves when those beliefs are the basis of actions that kill little girls.

The monk in question was trying to help the girl. He was wrong to think he could, but he wasn't trying to kill the girl. According to his beliefs he was helping her. His beliefs were the basis for his actions which were the cause of the girl's death. So it makes sense to put some of the blame on the belief and to be worried there might be others out there who share it so that they can be educated as to the danger involved. Its not just that the monk was stupid. The monk held a dangerous belief that he acted upon resulting in an avoidable death.

The reason you don't see this a lot w/atheists (all atheists being blamed when a lone crazy atheist does something stupid) is that atheism is a lack of a belief. All christians, as an example, have in common that they believe in jesus, his divinity, god, the bible, etc... Their belief is what is common to them. Their rituals, their sacraments, often their charity, and some times their less savory actions are often conducted in name of these beliefs. Many of their actions in their lives stem from their beliefs. So we give them a name, christians, categorizing them by their common belief.

But atheists are a group who only have in common 1 thing that they disbelieve. We don't categorize them by what they believe, like we do w/every religion out there, but rather by 1 of the many things they disbelieve. How many of you do not believe in Shiva? How many of you non-Shiva-ists tailor your actions based on this disbelief? How often have you performed a ritual or given charity in the name of your disbelief in Shiva? A non-shiva-ist might give a can of soup to a homeless man, but its likely to be for a reason other than his lack of belief in shiva.

Anyhow, i can see why religious people might feel like their religion is being unfairly painted w/a broad brush due to a lone crazy person who happens to belong to the religion. But when the behavior in question was based upon a religious belief, it makes sense to investigate, to find out how many others share this belief and might also act upon it w/similar results, so as to avoid such an outcome being repeated. This first incident would have been hard for anyone to predict or prevent. But if it were to happen again because we were scared of angering people by questioning their religions beliefs, then the fault would be borne by all of us.

I think it was saint Augustine who said something to the effect that: (paraphrasing because its been over a decade since i read it) -> The christian who stands on the corner preaching that which every learned person knows to be wrong hurts the entire religion by preventing those who would otherwise join the religion from doing so for they will believe the entire religion to be made up of fools. The church should therefore accept new ideas (such as scientific discoveries) or risk alienating the very people the church needs.

razer17

Feb 3, 2009
Project_Omega said:
Exorcism is real, but it can be hard from distincting a demonic possession from mental illness sometimes. We are only human after all.
Are you kidding? I mean, do you seriously believe that demonic possession is real?

grimgor42

Mar 15, 2011
I love how condescending atheists get drawn to these posts, tortured by their subconscious minds with the fear of there maybe being something to religion after all, as a weird inverted mockery of the religious, who do such stupid things, tortured by their subconscious minds that maybe there ISNT something to religion after all. Congratulations to those of you who didn't come to this thread to mock either atheists or religious people. Whatever your beliefs, at least you are secure in them.

Keepeas

Jul 10, 2011
Can you perform an exorcism to get rid of a stupidity demon?
This is so sad...people are dead because stupid people still believe in exorcism.
Go see a doctor if you feel "possessed" and go see a psychiatrist if you believe in exorcism.
And afterward, for long term effect, get an education. You'll thank me later.