Message to all anime viewers(NSFW): Cross Ange Tenshi to Ryu no Rondo

Izanagi009_v1legacy

Anime Nerds Unite
Apr 25, 2013
ZiggyE said:
"P-Please censor this thing I don't like!!"

No.
Do enlighten me, where did I say "censor it"? I suppose my message to avoid it could be seen as a call for censorship by some but I am informing people of a troubling scene that was poorly executed that I heard others talk about.

Izanagi009_v1legacy

Anime Nerds Unite
Apr 25, 2013
Shingeki no Gingerbeard said:
Izanagi009 said:
inu-kun said:
It sounds like a shitty anime from the get-go, there's no reason to get angry over it, there will be always shitty shows or books with terrible messages or moments, so just ignore it.

It definitely doesn't impact all anime viewers, and doesn't worth wasting time arguing about it.
As an anime viewer and amateur critic, I find it important to inform people of if something will offend them or just be plain horrible.

This is both
They key word here is amateur. If you want to go professional, look to spend a lot of your own money to get there. If you're content with being a hobbyist then that's okay, too, but ignorance is not a valid point of view; never has, and never will be.

Either way, if you're going to critique a piece of work then you need to do more than just spout off. You need to familiarize yourself with the head writer's other works, you need to have an understanding of several critical theories, and you need to read and watch a LOT more. Read Dostoevsky and Hemingway, understand why they were so popular and influential, and then keep reading from even more authors. Watch Nosferatu, Hammer Horror, Bram Stoker's Dracula, and Twilight; and understand why vampires have changed so much over the years.
I don't believe I had stated something out of ignorance so I would like you to inform me what that point was and I will apologize or defend accordingly.

Either way, at this point, i'm a college student in an engineering field and will probably not have time to do anything other than text reviews for the escapist. If i manage to learn editing and video software, I may do video reviews in the style of nostalgia critic and the like but I will probably never be part of an outlet like ANN so all work I do will still be amateur.

I did make my own impression [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.862274-Reaction-to-Cross-Ange-episode-1#21474239]and while not as good as my official chop block [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.861799-Anime-review-Aldnoah-Zero#21452323]reviews [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.862228-Anime-Chop-Block-Captain-Earth#21471946], it does still hit the points I wish to discuss.

I do thank you for bringing this to my attention though so I will give some pieces of information that I failed to mention
-the head writer,Tatsuto Higuchi [http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=46001] has a few shows under his belt but only one of them i recognize, Hanasaku Iroha which was a nice light-hearted show but not my cup of tea.
-The producer, Mitsuo Fukuda [http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=7787], has directed Gundam Seed, Seed Destiny, and various other shows. he has Animage grand prix awards for GPX Cyber Formula and the two seed animes. he seems very accomplished and his infulence could explain some of the Gundam Seed similarities
-the director is Yoshiharu Ashino [http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=5852] so seems to have a lot of work under his belt in storyboard and animation but has a bit of experience with directing. Again, no reference for his work so can't comment. Art direction and animation outside of the scene in question though seem well shot and crafted.

Aaron Sylvester

Jul 1, 2012
Oh well, another show to file under the fanservice category in the anime collection. The production values look nice so at least that's a plus.

Not too fussed by what is being depicted, anime is anime...it can contain literally anything (for better or worse). Thankfully Japan gives zero fucks when it comes to fictional material and who it "offends".

If it's a shitty fanservice show then it's a shitty fanservice show, treat it as such and move on.

Izanagi009_v1legacy

Anime Nerds Unite
Apr 25, 2013
Aaron Sylvester said:
Oh well, another show to file under the fanservice category in the anime collection. The production values look nice so at least that's a plus.

Not too fussed by what is being depicted, anime is anime...it can contain literally anything (for better or worse). Thankfully Japan gives zero fucks when it comes to fictional material and who it "offends".

If it's a shitty fanservice show then it's a shitty fanservice show, treat it as such and move on.
The issue is that even fanservice should try to avoid something tasteless and to go from talking on the balcony in a transparent night gown with panties visible to pseudo rape to naked girls in a lavish suite is very jarring and not good writing even by the low standard of fanservice shows.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
This is the third or so thread I've seen from you OP in which you're complaining about an anime. Hell, in the earliest one I recall you were complaining about an anime you hadn't even watched yourself, just going off of hearsay.

Why not watch stuff you actually...y'know, enjoy?

SquallTheBlade

May 25, 2011
Izanagi009 said:
I called for people to avoid it and demonize it
You said you wanted to be a critic and reviewer? Well then you are doing this wrong. A critic never says what a consumer should or should not watch. He only tells what he should expect from the work he is reviewing/criticizing and how well said work handles certain things. The consumer then can make his own decision should he watch it or not based around his own preferences and the review.

For example there might be(and most likely will be) people who really REALLY enjoy this kind of stuff but you are saying they should not watch it. That's just wrong.

Izanagi009_v1legacy

Anime Nerds Unite
Apr 25, 2013
SquallTheBlade said:
Izanagi009 said:
I called for people to avoid it and demonize it
You said you wanted to be a critic and reviewer? Well then you are doing this wrong. A critic never says what a consumer should or should not watch. He only tells what he should expect from the work he is reviewing/criticizing and how well said work handles certain things. The consumer then can make his own decision should he watch it or not based around his own preferences and the review.

For example there might be(and most likely will be) people who really REALLY enjoy this kind of stuff but you are saying they should not watch it. That's just wrong.
Perhaps I was too quick on the gun here but a part of me really doesn't feel this scene works for the show and severely determents it to the point of unwatchable for me. I probably should have worded it along the lines of "If you like what I have described in the review, it's up your alley but I don't think many other people will find this anime in good taste" or something on those lines.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention

Izanagi009_v1legacy

Anime Nerds Unite
Apr 25, 2013
anthony87 said:
This is the third or so thread I've seen from you OP in which you're complaining about an anime. Hell, in the earliest one I recall you were complaining about an anime you hadn't even watched yourself, just going off of hearsay.

I observe and report and in this case, I did watch the episode to see what the issue was about and to say I was angry is an understatement.

I report stuff like this because I feel that people will probably watch the show because of "dragon vs. mechs" and be taken aback by the scene in question. I saw details before hand about this happening but now that it's out and more critics seem to have an issue, reporting the issues seem like something to do.

For a counterbalance though, I would recommend watching the first episode of Rage of Bahamut. It's an over the top fun episode that is well animated with a lot of action and comedy to be had. You want a crazy adventure and characters, this might be the show for you though don't expect a good plot.

CaptainChip

Jul 8, 2012
Izanagi009 said:
anthony87 said:

I observe and report and in this case, I did watch the episode to see what the issue was about and to say I was angry is an understatement.

I report stuff like this because I feel that people will probably watch the show because of "dragon vs. mechs" and be taken aback by the scene in question. I saw details before hand about this happening but now that it's out and more critics seem to have an issue, reporting the issues seem like something to do.

For a counterbalance though, I would recommend watching the first episode of Rage of Bahamut. It's an over the top fun episode that is well animated with a lot of action and comedy to be had. You want a crazy adventure and characters, this might be the show for you though don't expect a good plot.
Instead of making a separate thread for each anime that you don't like, couldn't you just make one "anime I find morally empty" thread?

Izanagi009_v1legacy

Anime Nerds Unite
Apr 25, 2013
CaptainChip said:
Izanagi009 said:
anthony87 said:

Instead of making a separate thread for each anime that you don't like, couldn't you just make one "anime I find morally empty" thread?
And how would people actually notice when new entries are put on. Logisticlly, it organizes things but it would be diffiuclt to inform people if teh lastest in that list is at page 5 instead of page 1 with the title reflecting it

CpT_x_Killsteal

Elite Member
Jun 21, 2012
Even Crunchyroll is locking it out of Australia. I feel like I'm missing the hate train, or at least the point of it.

Question: is it worse than Boku no Pico?

kyp275

Mar 27, 2012
Izanagi009 said:
II report stuff like this because I feel that people will probably watch the show because of "dragon vs. mechs" and be taken aback by the scene in question.
I had previously written the show off because the premise simply didn't sound all that interesting to me, but now I'm going to watch this precisely because of your threads just to see what all the fuss is about :p

Izanagi009_v1legacy

Anime Nerds Unite
Apr 25, 2013
kyp275 said:
Izanagi009 said:
II report stuff like this because I feel that people will probably watch the show because of "dragon vs. mechs" and be taken aback by the scene in question.
I had previously written the show off because the premise simply didn't sound all that interesting to me, but now I'm going to watch this precisely because of your threads just to see what all the fuss is about :p
Not exactly what I expected but go ahead and give it a shot.

I'm on the side of extreme dislike but I'm sure your opinion will provide an interesting counter point

Mar 8, 2012
Izanagi009 said:
Izanagi009 said:
inu-kun said:
It sounds like a shitty anime from the get-go, there's no reason to get angry over it, there will be always shitty shows or books with terrible messages or moments, so just ignore it.

It definitely doesn't impact all anime viewers, and doesn't worth wasting time arguing about it.
As an anime viewer and amateur critic, I find it important to inform people of if something will offend them or just be plain horrible.

This is both
They key word here is amateur. If you want to go professional, look to spend a lot of your own money to get there. If you're content with being a hobbyist then that's okay, too, but ignorance is not a valid point of view; never has, and never will be.

Either way, if you're going to critique a piece of work then you need to do more than just spout off. You need to familiarize yourself with the head writer's other works, you need to have an understanding of several critical theories, and you need to read and watch a LOT more. Read Dostoevsky and Hemingway, understand why they were so popular and influential, and then keep reading from even more authors. Watch Nosferatu, Hammer Horror, Bram Stoker's Dracula, and Twilight; and understand why vampires have changed so much over the years.
I don't believe I had stated something out of ignorance so I would like you to inform me what that point was and I will apologize or defend accordingly.

Either way, at this point, i'm a college student in an engineering field and will probably not have time to do anything other than text reviews for the escapist. If i manage to learn editing and video software, I may do video reviews in the style of nostalgia critic and the like but I will probably never be part of an outlet like ANN so all work I do will still be amateur.

I did make my own impression [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.862274-Reaction-to-Cross-Ange-episode-1#21474239]and while not as good as my official chop block [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.861799-Anime-review-Aldnoah-Zero#21452323]reviews [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.862228-Anime-Chop-Block-Captain-Earth#21471946], it does still hit the points I wish to discuss.

I do thank you for bringing this to my attention though so I will give some pieces of information that I failed to mention
-the head writer,Tatsuto Higuchi [http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=46001] has a few shows under his belt but only one of them i recognize, Hanasaku Iroha which was a nice light-hearted show but not my cup of tea.
-The producer, Mitsuo Fukuda [http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=7787], has directed Gundam Seed, Seed Destiny, and various other shows. he has Animage grand prix awards for GPX Cyber Formula and the two seed animes. he seems very accomplished and his infulence could explain some of the Gundam Seed similarities
-the director is Yoshiharu Ashino [http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=5852] so seems to have a lot of work under his belt in storyboard and animation but has a bit of experience with directing. Again, no reference for his work so can't comment. Art direction and animation outside of the scene in question though seem well shot and crafted.
Okay, then. Not to rain on your parade, but let's get a few things clear here.

First off, you're not writing text reviews for The Escapist. You are not on staff, so you are not writing for them. You are writing for anyone on the community who might come here for reviews, rather than some other source with a trusted reputation. You're also not writing for yourself, and you should be. You should be proud of every sentence and idea on the page, and when you're done it should be a piece you would enjoy reading even if someone else had written it. You're not building up your brand, either. Even as just an amateur reviewer you should be maintaining an individual blog, and as far as I can tell you're not.

Second, your engineering background shows in your work because even your "official" review of Aldnoah.Zero is written poorly. The grammar is atrocious. You feel the need to comment on everything, and you don't have to. Nobody needs to know whether or not Hanasaku Iroha is "your cup of tea;" it's not relevant. Stick to the facts, and if you're going to spoil anything you say so at the very beginning. You also need to incorporate relevant facts, like some background information on the setting. You litter your character bios with information which should be in it's own section, and don't spend enough time describing the attitudes and first impressions of the principle cast.

Third, don't call your review the "Chop Block." You're telling people not to watch the series you're reviewing before they even click the link, and, like I stated above, they have no reason to trust you. If your reviews are always negative, then you'll only turn people away. You need a new name and some positive reviews. Don't emulate the Nostalgia Critic, either. He's a hack who relies more on shtick than substance. Even if he were successful, you wouldn't want to emulate him. You don't want to be "the next Nostalgia Critic;" you want to be "the first Izanagi."

I've been out of college for most of the last decade, and with a degree in Journalism no less. I maintained an active LiveJournal for five years before I closed it, and did some freelance from time to time while I was working as a shift manager for a restaurant. Take it from me, if you're going to do this then you need to take it seriously. Conduct yourself professionally, craft a persona with a consistent tone, and don't litter your reviews with character references to series which your readers may not have seen.

KOMega

Aug 30, 2010
Candidus said:
Well no doubt it blindsided a lot of people for that reason.
Hm. Maybe you're right. Perhaps most of this dust that was kicked up was just from the surprise.
I will say that the twist at the end of Grisaia no Kajitsu (which is also brand new and I just watched) got more of a reaction from me than this one.

Anyways, perhaps if we looked at it this way. Maybe it's a good thing someone was outraged by this. If they were to keep watching, perhaps they would sympathize with the character more and get some of her reasons for doing what she does. Like when she broke off formation from the opening clip to do her own thing.

Izanagi009_v1legacy

Anime Nerds Unite
Apr 25, 2013
Izanagi009 said:
Izanagi009 said:
inu-kun said:

This is both

Okay, then. Not to rain on your parade, but let's get a few things clear here.

First off, you're not writing text reviews for The Escapist. You are not on staff, so you are not writing for them. You are writing for anyone on the community who might come here for reviews, rather than some other source with a trusted reputation. You're also not writing for yourself, and you should be. You should be proud of every sentence and idea on the page, and when you're done it should be a piece you would enjoy reading even if someone else had written it. You're not building up your brand, either. Even as just an amateur reviewer you should be maintaining an individual blog, and as far as I can tell you're not.

Second, your engineering background shows in your work because even your "official" review of Aldnoah.Zero is written poorly. The grammar is atrocious. You feel the need to comment on everything, and you don't have to. Nobody needs to know whether or not Hanasaku Iroha is "your cup of tea;" it's not relevant. Stick to the facts, and if you're going to spoil anything you say so at the very beginning. You also need to incorporate relevant facts, like some background information on the setting. You litter your character bios with information which should be in it's own section, and don't spend enough time describing the attitudes and first impressions of the principle cast.

Third, don't call your review the "Chop Block." You're telling people not to watch the series you're reviewing before they even click the link, and, like I stated above, they have no reason to trust you. If your reviews are always negative, then you'll only turn people away. You need a new name and some positive reviews. Don't emulate the Nostalgia Critic, either. He's a hack who relies more on shtick than substance. Even if he were successful, you wouldn't want to emulate him. You don't want to be "the next Nostalgia Critic;" you want to be "the first Izanagi."

I've been out of college for most of the last decade, and with a degree in Journalism no less. I maintained an active LiveJournal for five years before I closed it, and did some freelance from time to time while I was working as a shift manager for a restaurant. Take it from me, if you're going to do this then you need to take it seriously. Conduct yourself professionally, craft a persona with a consistent tone, and don't litter your reviews with character references to series which your readers may not have seen.
To address points

-I don't have a blog and frankly don't want to go thorough the process of setting up a wordpress or the like since I have a lot on my plate so there's that. Also I used the wrong wording about what I do and I apologize. I write what I write and I know I suck so I can't exactly be proud of what I write when it is not even amateur quality as you stated; english was never my best class in high school, as you can tell with the grammar, and I have a tendency to only want to talk about things when they are needed like talking about the characters or points. (on a side note: sorry for being overly defensive but was that thing about my engineering background supposed to be a jab at the writing or my intellect because I could take it both ways.)

-the other name I had for the block is something along the lines of weaboo reviews since I have had that accusation applied to me and I thought I should use it but I figured it was too stupid so i dropped it. Also given how pissed I get with anime at times, I think embracing the anger could work. It also doesn't help that the reviews I did for RWBY casually before this were more scripts with angry bits in it than actual reviews. In addition, I will be doing a positive review of Fate/Zero (love it in short terms)in the future so it won't be all negative. I only watch stuff that interests me so it mostly will be mediocre or good with some stinkers here and there.

-I understand that people don't like the critic's model but I see it as entertaining with points here and there but to each their own. I mostly like the video format of emotive reviews with some rants or breakdowns to convey just how bad it is but am stuck with text so have to deal with it. Any tone I would have is the type that is passionate about the industry but really stressed at some of the stupid; not exactly easy to convey through text.

-The Hanasaka Iroha thing was supposed to be a point of bias people could use to see if the review is useful for them but I can understand why it's pointless.

-What makes you assume I am not writing for myself? these reviews are a good way to alleviate some academic stress and put words on paper plus I don't get bored.

-Any examples of the horrible grammar you could share? I won't learn if I don't know what it is. Also, what character references? I don't recall using my usual Blazblue references like I do with the casual RWBY reviews.

Tell you what, come over to my aldnoah review and point out the areas needing improvement, it will help me out since I can't quite point my finger on specific examples of what you are talking about.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
Mad as a Hatter said:
Dreiko said:
There is no context given. Thats a problem. Its meant to look like rape and arouse the viewers. Thats all is to it. It's not rape yes but it looks like rape and thats enough ruin the whole thing. Tone doesn't match the theme of the show.
Why do you believe it's there to arouse the viewer? Why not to show how disturbing the world actually is?
The first episode showed us both sides of the world.
The one where the normal people live in happiness and the other dark side of the Norma. The princess is first shown to be caring and loving only to show to hypocritical she is with the scene where she says the mother to throw away her child because it's a Norma. She wanted to get ride of the Norma and now it all went back to her.

The anime is shit anyways, whether you believe it's there to arouse the viewer or not. Not worth the time.

Otakun

May 20, 2014
After all the controversy I have seen over this one episode from here and ANN I decided to watch it for myself. I didn't find it nearly as disturbing as some of you on here seem to have. I see anime on a seasonal basis that takes no qualms will ripping people apart or blowing them up or cutting them in half but this disturbs you? I hope it enlightens you on what happens to people who are no longer considered humans in the eyes of others. Americans have been known to have done such actions with POWs within the last decade. The scenes were obviously meant to disturb you and get you talking about it. It obviously worked cause I would have never watched it if it wasn't for the controversy. So, good job helping what you are trying to stop. lol

Nov 24, 2010
DarkhoIlow said:
I have seen it...it's not what you think it is..if you would see the episode then you would know what happened and that thing was necessary to build up her character and toughen her up as a soldier (it sounds harsh, but it's true..watch the preview and you shall see why).

Nostras are the lowest of the low and are treated as such. It wasn't anal rape..the boss of that facility that trains the soldiers did the necessary thing by taking her virginity to build her into an hard soldier..they don't have time for flowery princesess in the military. That is exactly what happened..if you knew the context you should have known this and not be offended by it.

If you think this is bad..you haven't read Berserk manga..but that one is Seinen & Dark.
What a seriouly dumb and lazy charakterization.. shitty tropes as an means to convey a story because the wroters arent competent enough to describe character developement without resorting to the cheapest gratifying bullshit that stands for "uh, something bad happens" One thinks that a woman just needs a good hard rape to get hard and strong or to get broken.

anal probing, rape as drama, defiled forever, rape as backstory, gratituous rape.. yeah. shorthand for "i am too lazy and dumb to write a motivation r development that not stimulates my raging stiffy..I have such a severe lack for womans behaviour and human psyche that there is no possibility ever that these squishy wishy-washy-weakly-peakly wimminz ever can be hard witout a good deep rape and suprise assrape complete with a coupled forced non-anesthetized implant of something metallic in your spine because:my boner wants it.

seriously, I would really really appreciate like a Triggerwarning or maybe a contentnote befor series or such. In manga/comics and videogames you have these symbols with like
"violece/drug use/sex"
why ot such, like: CN: gendered violence/violence against children/drug/alcohol-abuse/sexualized violence/ racist-,homophobic-,transphobic-slurs/gore/violene against animals/etc
just a short info, or maybe when airing this before a scene that could be triffering for people with ptsd and is not "liogial"(like in a war move one expects to see people die usually. In a thriller about a murderer one expects murder. but as an example, in the movie boyhood there was a scene with more psychological violence, the parent drove the car in a really fast way to scare the child to death-there are enough people who were in such situation..
so maybe if such a situation canme there could be a red pont or squer on one of the corner of the screen that says "in 30&60 seconst starts a violent scene-and then X minutes until scene is over. so people can go out of the room and come back in- the thing has not to be specific but people can assess themselves good enough i think.
so this shoudl get a TW too..

(and that all comes from me. I Like torture-play, rape-play, violence and stuff.. IN MY PORN (and i do want to see that its consensual), I can control it there, jump a scene and i dont get "surprised" by it.
shlongs and shitty rape-tropes are only allowed in my face if I consented to it.