Metal Gear Movie Unlikely to Solidify

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Metal Gear Movie Unlikely to Solidify

A movie based on the escapades of stealth master Solid Snake has been in the works for years, but the final product may never be released.

The theatrical release of a Metal Gear Solid movie is looking very unlikely at this point, according to producer Michael De Luca. Despite rumblings [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/89626-Hayter-To-Work-on-Metal-Gear-Solid-Movie] last year that the movie was back in action, it probably will never happen.

In an interview with Kotaku [http://www.collider.com/2010/01/10/producer-mike-de-luca-says-its-game-over-for-a-metal-gear-solid-movie/] sources say part of the problem is a funding issue. Sony Pictures wanted to provide a certain amount of money to back the film with, possibly in the range of $40 to $80 million, but Kojima Productions and Konami felt it was too low.

De Luca went on to say that "it was just kind of impossible to get the agendas to match up" for those involved with the project. The biggest issue seemed to be the protection of the Metal Gear Solid property itself. De Luca believes:

A movie can only hurt. If the movie's great, you're probably not going to sell more games. It's such a separate thing. The franchise being as big as it [is] kind of helps the movie...I'm not sure the movie does the same thing for the game.

Metal Gear Solid is a huge brand that even held up the PlayStation 3 when it was arguably failing for a while, so a movie based on the series isn't exactly something you can throw out to Uwe Boll and then call a day. However, we haven't seen the last of Michael De Luca, as he also appears to be attached to the Preacher [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preacher_%28comics%29] movie adaptation. Ah, the life of a producer, going from a gravelly-voiced mustachioed hero to a drooling teenager that blasted himself in the face with a shotgun.

Source: Kotaku [http://www.collider.com/2010/01/10/producer-mike-de-luca-says-its-game-over-for-a-metal-gear-solid-movie/]

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
Solidify, eh? I see what you did there.

Anyway; I thought the games were essentially the movie. You just had to press a few buttons occasionally to continue it, like chapter select.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Thank God.

Leave MGS with the little dignity that it has left.

Grampy_bone

Mar 12, 2008
An MGS movie could be really awesome... but it probably wouldn't be. Best to leave it alone.

CoverYourHead

High Priest of C'Thulhu
Dec 7, 2008
Why not just tailor all the cut-scenes together and throw that in a movie?... I guess the movie would be 20 hours long, but still! Then again, we should probably just let sleeping snakes lie and keep it a game.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
I used to think a Metal Gear movie would be a great idea.

Then I realized half the dialogue would just be Snake repeating what had just been said to him.

Adzma

Sep 20, 2009
Probably for the best. The movie will never meet anyone's expectations, even with Kojima on board.

Filtertip

Jan 30, 2009
$40 to $80 million not enough!? Have a look for Metal Gear Soild Philanthropy does an amazing job with MUUUUUCH less then $40 million

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
Wouldn't it be funny if the movie was interrupted every five minutes by a ten hour game sequence?
I was thinking that too!

But then, you may as well play the games, BAM! There's your movie right there :)

Georgeman

Mar 2, 2009
Sony Pictures wanted to provide a certain amount of money to back the film with, possibly in the range of $40 to $80 million, but Kojima Productions and Konami felt it was too low.
Hooray for bloated productions!

I'm sure I won't lose any sleep over this, although it would be interesting to see a Metal Gear medium not directed in any way by Kojima.

Simriel

The Count of Monte Cristo
Dec 22, 2008
As much as an MGS movie would be fun, a Preacher film would be so much better, and could also lead to a film version of The Boys. I fucking LOVE Garth Ennis!

MortalForNow

Jan 10, 2010
Actually, the probability of a movie based on this seemed a little too far to me for some reason. I don't quite know how they would be able to tie every single plot point together in a single movie unless they take out some of the dialogue explaining the background of the universe of MGS.

But, if by some way, they can tie the story together in less than three hours while keeping the intent intact, which kind of defeats the purpose of the games, then that proves that any game can be turned into a movie.

With this news, however, it seems very unlikely stacked against the other upcoming videogame adaptations.

Filtertip

Jan 30, 2009
We all know MGS could never be aquised into a few hours but no one has tryed that. Metal Gear Soild Philanthropy the fan film just over an hour LARGELY open for alot more story.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Honestly? If you like Metal Gear, you should be glad; I know it hurts to think the movie will never come out but just think...

...the Metal Gear movie would probably have joined THIS crowd if it where ever released ;)

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
Daystar Clarion said:
Wouldn't it be funny if the movie was interrupted every five minutes by a ten hour game sequence?
I'd like to thank you for the laugh this gave me.

On topic, I can't help but think that if any game could have a quality transition to film, it'd be Metal Gear Solid. Assuming, of course, that the dialogue went through a few changes from game to movie.

AceDiamond said:
I used to think a Metal Gear movie would be a great idea.

Then I realized half the dialogue would just be Snake repeating what had just been said to him.
"Metal Gear?" ad nauseam.

WorldCritic

Apr 13, 2009
I heard over three years ago that the movie was as good as cancelled. I didn't even realize some people still thought it would come out.