Metal Thread

NnsNightshade

May 6, 2011
I like all kinds of metal (I like musick in general). My team produces types of metal music, etc. too when we're not dabbling in horrorcore hip-hop scene. :)

Stuff like this or such. :D

Purkki

Apr 4, 2010
I didn't read the whole list, but I've got some good ones here!

Stam1na - Thrash Metal
Fleshwrought - Experimental Metal
Turisas - Viking Metal
Mokoma - Thrash Metal

Weslebear

Dec 9, 2009
I used to be a massive metal head and it was metal or nothing, that lasted about a year then it just began to bore me, I still love some of it but only some of the, in my opinion, best stuff. The majority just does nothing at all but bore me completely, which is why I now refuse to be genre bound, I will listen to anything at least once just to try it and my musical taste has a bit of everything in it.

But as this is a metal thread, here is a band consisting of some of my best friends that are pretty fucking good.

Oh and Ben, lead guitar, told me today, he is arranging a Men Without Hats - Safety Dance cover, so yeah, awesome.

Nazz3

Sep 11, 2009
Moonsorrow is my favorite metal band at the moment

And heres some Petrychor, a very recently started project, and they just released their debut album:

Amazing stuff, I highly recommend to check them out, they also have an EP called Dryad, you can download both their debut and their EP for free from their bandcamp http://petrychor.bandcamp.com/

Amorphis is another amazing band, they make more catchier music, heres some of my favorites by them:

Im just gonna leave it here for now.

Argtee

Oct 31, 2009
David_G said:
I'm glad that you have Mors Principium Est in that list. They're a pretty good band!

Anyways: Some of the bands that I like are...
Eluveitie: Folk Metal
Elvenking: Folk Metal
Blind Guardian: Power Metal
Avantasia: Power Metal/Symphonic Power Metal
Amon Amarth (which the OP had in their list: Melodic Death Metal
Mors Principium Est: (OP also had this in their list: Melodic Death Metal
Katyklysm: Death Metal/Melodic Death Metal
Apocalyptica (I consider them metal...): Symphonic Metal
Ensiferum: Folk Metal/Melodic Death Metal
Rhapsody of Fire: Symphonic Power Metal
That's just to name a few.

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009
Narclaw said:
Ironic Pirate said:
Gladiateher said:
I like killswitch engage. Is that a good thing?
Liking anything is a good thing, because it makes you happy. Metal exists to make people happy, so ignore anyone who tells you to have fun differently because they either don't understand how fun works or failed pre-school.

Everyone else seems to be just listing off bands, but I'm too impatient to go around pasting 15 different youtube videos, and no one ever listens to them anyway.

So! I will be posing a question. What are some really good, really heavy (I'm talking death metal here) bands, that don't scream. Bolded because everyone ignores that part and recommends Parkway Drive or Morbid Angel, or something screams. I can tolerate some screaming, but only on a case by case basis (Periphery, for example).
Hmm, try listening to James LaBrie's solo sophomore album, Static Impulse. It has some screaming, but it has mostly clean vocals. The musical style is Gothenburg melodic death metal, similar to that of Dark Tranquillity. Some Testament albums would also work. I haven't listened to all of them, but their older material as well as their latest, the Formation of Damnation is mostly clean. It's difficult to recommend melodic death metal in general, because it tends to feature both clean and gutteral vocals. A couple bands I can think of with a good balance would be Mercenary and Scar Symmetry.
I love James LaBrie and Testament! I'll check out those others when I get a chance, thanks.

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009
summerof2010 said:
Ironic Pirate said:
Everyone else seems to be just listing off bands, but I'm too impatient to go around pasting 15 different youtube videos, and no one ever listens to them anyway.
I listen to them -- most of them, actually. And I understand your pain about too much screaming. I mostly just like that one song by the band I posted above, but it doesn't have much screaming. Hmmm... Slough Feg?
I love Annihilator, especially that song and album. I'll check out Slough Feg soon, their wikipedia page sounded promising.

David_G

Aug 25, 2009
Bumping with two songs of two artists who should be listened to if only to experience their style of music.

Nerfherder17

May 16, 2011
No one into real metal bands then? Black Sabbath, Judas priest.
Forget that screaming shit. Talentless fucks all of them.

For the heaviest stuff, thrash metal is as good as it gets.

Hope you get hit by a bus!

Bucht

Apr 22, 2010
Nerfherder17 said:

Depends on what bands you like of course, personally I Like a lot of those "screaming talentless fuck bands"
On the other hand, anyone who doesn't like Priest or Sabbath doesn't deserve to be called a metalhead.

Nerfherder17

May 16, 2011
Bucht said:
Nerfherder17 said:

Depends on what bands you like of course, personally I Like a lot of those "screaming talentless fuck bands"
On the other hand, anyone who doesn't like Priest or Sabbath doesn't deserve to be called a metalhead.
I see your point, as long as you can appreciate both ends of the scale I respect your opinion. I'm not saying everyone has to like the old metal bands, just as long as people can appreciate what they did and how it affects the newer bands.

Mr.Incognitus

Dec 7, 2010
I'm open to listen to pretty much every single subgenre of Metal, I won't dismiss it as being terrible without first giving it a listen, this is my rule about all music though. Perhaps not a good one as I'm biased to Metal...