Metal Thread

Julianking93

May 16, 2009
David_G said:
Well I sort of mentioned Devin Townsend by mentioning his project, Strapping Young Lad but yeah.. I've never listened to a Japanese band, should probably get to it.
Oh I didn't see Strapping on there. Yeah, that works. Still gotta mention Devy though :D
staika said:
Scar Symmetry- Melodic death metal
Soilwork- Melodic death metal
Gotta love some mention for those two but I think it would be best to mention that Soilwork's most recent stuff is rather shit >.>

Scar Symmetry is quite awesome though :3

retterkl

Oct 27, 2008
Only thing I like is 'And then I told them I invented Times New Roman' by Dance Gavin Dance.

Gaiseric

Sep 21, 2008
My favorites:
-Iced Earth
-Blind Guardian
-Metallica
-Killswitch Engage
-In Flames
-Nocturnal Rites
-Iron Savior
-Dio

I started listening to metal around 7-8 and if I remember correctly the first song I liked was Wolf by Iced Earth.

The amount of sub-genres has been a source of some antagonism for me. People keep telling me the bands I like are in different genres(different genres from different people) or are no longer in another one 'cause that genre changed or something. This has left me confused to the point I try to not ever say what kind of metal a band is because nowadays I just don't know the answer.

Gaiseric

Sep 21, 2008
Reincarnatedwolfgod said:
so metal is that is the music with the screaming?
Some of it is. You'd have to navigate the murky sub-genre waters and I'm not qualified for the task :/

Whoracle

Jan 7, 2008
Time for bed in my timezone, so just a quick plug for my own band for now. More on the topic tomorrow.

Tell me what you think about it. \m/

OmniscientOstrich

Jan 6, 2011
You mention Ihsahn but no Emperor? Shame on you. Guess I'll just list off a few bands a like:

Death Metal - Aeon, Annotations of an Autopsy, Brain Drill, Cannibal Corpse, Job for a Cowboy
Melodic Death Metal - Amon Amarth, Arch Enemy, At the Gates, Carcass, Children of Bodom, Dark Tranquility, Mutiny Within
Progressive Metal - Dream Theater, Opeth, In Mourning, Tool (more prog rock actually)
Thrash Metal - Metallica (earlier, plus Death Magnetic), Megadeth, Sepultura, Slayer
Black Metal - Behemoth, Emperor, May Result, Netherbird
Metalcore - 36 Crazyfists, Bullet For My Valentine, Killswitch Engage, Parkway Drive, Trivium
Deathcore - Born of Osiris, Whitechapel, Winds of Plague

Nickolai77

Apr 3, 2009
Ah, heavy metal! Kudos to the guy whom posted some Falconer.

Well, to recommend Iron Maiden would be a bit obvious (heck, just look at my avatar), but i can recommend Bruce Dickinson's solo work:

Also, some Persuader:

Annnnd some Blind Guardian:

And finally, some Delain:

Laith

Sep 10, 2008
just to throw a random smattering of some that I like that aren't on the list:

Sabaton, Turisas, Hammerfall, Xandria, Tyr, Alestorm, Armored Saint, Kamelot, Krypteria, Rhapsody of Fire, Testament, Dark Moor, White Skull, Edguy, Sonata Arctica, Sirenia, Gamma Ray, Battlelore, Therion, Running Wild, Arch Enemy

ironduke88

Mar 20, 2010
Parkway Drive should be on that list. I think perhaps your list slightly favours the more sludgey brutal types of metal (which I have nothing against, ObZen is one my fav albums). I personally think of slipknot as a metal band, though maybe a bit less with the last album. And you are definately missing some the more lighthearted bands like psychostick, turisas, GAWR and alestorm. Have you tried machinehead or lamb of god?

JasonKaotic

Mar 18, 2009
Oh god. I can't pick a few bands to recommend. I'll give out all the bands I love. In a spoiler, the list'll be titanic. You'll probably have heard of at least a couple of them. I'll give a few good songs by them you should check out too.
Like, really. Prepare for a big list. With lots of detail.
Into Eternity (Melodic Death Metal) - Nothing, Out, Spiralling Into Depression, Beginning of the End, Suspension of Disbelief, Pain Through Breathing
Scar Symmetry (Melodic Death Metal) - Slaves to the Subliminal, Morphogenesis, Deviate from the Form, Carved in Stone (picking out individual songs for them is hard, I love all of 'em)
Disarmonia Mundi (Melodic Death Metal) - Perdition Haze, Red Clouds, Celestial Furnace, Morgue of Centuries, Nihilistic Overdrive
Before The Dawn (Melodic Death/Gothic Metal) - Deadsong, Silence, Fabrication, Black Dawn, Heaven, Seed, Savior, Deathstar
Dominia (Melodic Death Metal) - Mountain's of God's Depression (quite possibly one of the greatest songs ever made), God is a Brand, Beautiful Innocence, In Black, Simple Thing, Harvester
Norther (Melodic Death Metal) - Frozen Angel, Death Unlimited, Nothing, Omen, The Hate I Bear, The Last Time, Closing In
Satariel (Melodic Death Metal) - Claw the Clouds, Hogtied Angel, Holy Trinity, Scattering the Timeweb, The Springrise, 300 Years Old
Deadlock (Melodic Death Metal) - Code of Honor, Earth.Revolt, Loser's Ballet, 10,000 Generations in Blood
Turmion Katilot (Industrial Metal) - Pirun Nyrkki, Mina Maaraan, Teurastaja, Paha Ihminen, Hanska, Irstauden Ilosanoma
Eternal Tears of Sorrow (Symphonic Death Metal) - Prophetian, Aeon, Autumn's Grief, Bride of the Crimson Sea, Lost Rune of Thunder, Nocturne Thule
myGRAIN (Melodic Death Metal) - Dust Devils and Cosmic Storms, Of Immortal Aeons, A Clockwork Apocalypse
In Flames (Melodic Death Metal) - Coerced Coexistence, Episode 666, The Jester Race, System, Only For The Weak
I don't care if it's one of their sellout songs, I friggin' love System
Solution .45 (Melodic Death Metal) - Gravitational Lensing, For Aeons Past, Into Shadow, Lethean Tears
For My Pain... (Gothic Metal) - Dancer in the Dark, Autumn Harmony, Killing Romance, Sea of Emotions, Rapture of Lust
Universum (Melodic Death Metal) - 2.0, Fractured Archetype, Sum of the Universe
Sybreed - Industrial Metal - Bioactive, Next Day Will Never Come, ReEvolution
Charon (Gothic Metal) - Little Angel, Erase Me, Guilt on Skin, Every Failure
D Creation (Melodic Death Metal) - Drifting Forever, Asleep, Redemption
Divercia (Progressive Gothic Metal) - 2nd Ghost, Cycle of Zero, Of Steel And Man
Lyfthrasyr (Blackened Death Metal/Melodic Black Metal, whichever works) - Obsession in a Convenient Manner, Rage Towards Apathy, Beyond the Frontiers of Morality, Visions of Hope and Despair
Made of Hate (Melodic Death Metal) - Mirror of Sins, Bullet in Your Head, Pathogen
Static-X (Industrial Metal) - Black and White, Kill Your Idols, New Pain, Cannibal, Push It, I'm The One
Destroy Destroy Destroy (Melodic Death/Power Metal) - The Winged Panther, Return of the Geishmal Undead, The Berserker's Field of Whores
Scartown (Melodic Death Metal) - Their songs are all in Russian, and the forums don't allow their alphabet, so just search for the band name on Youtube or something

And my two guilty pleasures as an anti-mainstreamer:
Lacuna Coil (Gothic Metal) - Unspoken, The Prophet Said, Angel's Punishment, Circle, Enjoy the Silence
Korn (Nu Metal/Alternative Metal) - Make Me Bad, Somebody Someone, Here to Stay, Bottled Up Inside, Thoughtless, Falling Away From Me

OptimisticPessimist

Nov 15, 2010
I saw neither Tool, Pantera, Primal Fear, or Sabaton on that list. Hell, throw in Tyr While you're at it.

respectively-

I'm just gonna throw this guy in as an honorable mention.

William Dickbringer

Feb 16, 2010
similar.squirrel said:
staika said:
Yay a thread about metal music! .............. wait what are we supposed to talk about?
Judging by what I've seen on youtube, discuss how you're 14 and your dislike for Justin Beiber.
you forgot to add how one band sucks compared to another band
O.T. Well here's some of my bands I listen to
wispered
children of bodom
alestorm (note this one lasts a while longer than the song)
eluveitie
ensiferum
austrain death machine (the video last longer than the song)
winds of plague
wintersun
there I covered most of the metal bands I listen to

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009
Gladiateher said:
I like killswitch engage. Is that a good thing?
Liking anything is a good thing, because it makes you happy. Metal exists to make people happy, so ignore anyone who tells you to have fun differently because they either don't understand how fun works or failed pre-school.

Everyone else seems to be just listing off bands, but I'm too impatient to go around pasting 15 different youtube videos, and no one ever listens to them anyway.

So! I will be posing a question. What are some really good, really heavy (I'm talking death metal here) bands, that don't scream. Bolded because everyone ignores that part and recommends Parkway Drive or Morbid Angel, or something screams. I can tolerate some screaming, but only on a case by case basis (Periphery, for example).

Zebidizy

Apr 8, 2009
U forgot Blind guardian... the best band i have ever heard =p hasi is god none may dispute this =p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGBZuf3mvy0

some bands -
persuader - speed/power
dark empire - power
darkest era - Celtic
Alestorm - Pirate
Axenstar - power
Celesty - power
Amon Amarath -death
Eluveite -folk
Equilibrium - folk

DR3AMCATCH3R94

Apr 2, 2009
id have to say around ten was wen i started listening to metal and my firs song as i recall was either iron man or paranoid, both by black sabbath obviously. hell of a way to start my life as a metalhead

Zebidizy

Apr 8, 2009
Nickolai77 said:
Ah, heavy metal! Kudos to the guy whom posted some Falconer.

Well, to recommend Iron Maiden would be a bit obvious (heck, just look at my avatar), but i can recommend Bruce Dickinson's solo work:

Also, some Persuader:

Annnnd some Blind Guardian:

And finally, some Delain:

I agree whole heartedly with this man !!!!

if u liked persuader check out savage Circus ... BG drummer thommas and persuaders vocalist =)