Metallica Coming to Black Ops Launch Event

WilliamRLBaker

Jan 8, 2010
LOL gotta love that metallica lost credibility during napster how dare metallica take away the ability to steal music! damn them!!!

*shakes head* as Much as I love metallica and always will *I don't follow stupid lemming ideals like but but they cut their hair! sell outs! but but but they make money sell outS!!* Its not enough to make me buy another activision game, a treyarch game....

Hippobatman

Resident Mario sprite
Jun 18, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
even how Metallica hasn't been cool since 1998
I thought they went a long way towards redeeming themselves with Death Magnetic in '08, and the concert I attended last year was absolutely fantastic.

So I disagree. Metallica is cool again. It's all in personal opinion, of course.

Dr Megadeth said:
Pfffffff Metallica. Turn back time 25 years however...
Err, I take it from your username that you like Megadeth? Hypocritical, much? Megadeth hasn't been good since Countdown to Extinction.

It's all in personal taste, mate.

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
/yawn

Will they be playing actual music or that rap bullshit they dreamt up a few years back?

Personally I'd love to see launch party done for an RPG or the like with a world renown orchestra playing music from the game, rock concerts are great, but really what does Metallica have to do with the game?

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
Steve5513 said:
SnootyEnglishman said:
Metallica lost all their credibility during the Napster bit of the late 90's
I agree!

I have a right to steal their music.
It wasn't what they said (about Napster) but rather how they said it, they acted like a bunch of jerks with sticks up their asses.

Dr Megadeth

May 23, 2010
Chapper said:
Andy Chalk said:
even how Metallica hasn't been cool since 1998
I thought they went a long way towards redeeming themselves with Death Magnetic in '08, and the concert I attended last year was absolutely fantastic.

So I disagree. Metallica is cool again. It's all in personal opinion, of course.

Dr Megadeth said:
Pfffffff Metallica. Turn back time 25 years however...
Err, I take it from your username that you like Megadeth? Hypocritical, much? Megadeth hasn't been good since Countdown to Extinction.

It's all in personal taste, mate.
Sensitive username troll is a successful troll.

But seriously, Activision are just fucking around now. Now you see why Black Ops is so damn expensive, because it has a big, fuck-off marketing campaign.

or...

A sum of money Activision could have put to better use on some of its other developers.

UnravThreads

Aug 10, 2009
Dr Megadeth said:
A sum of money Activision could have put to better use on some of its other developers.
Wait, are you suggesting that Activision should actually try to make a decent game?

Hippobatman

Resident Mario sprite
Jun 18, 2008
Dr Megadeth said:
Troll, me? Wouldn't dream of it, good sir. Well, maybe in some dreams, I guess.

Anyway, even though hiring Metallica to promote a game is kinda cool, it comes off a bit cheap in my head. I love Metallica, but I'm not sure about their connection to the cold war. Or the war veterans.

It's nice that they pay them tribute, though. Props for that, but it'd be more charitable if they launched a huge concert to promote the vets alone, and not just make a cool launch party for Activision's new game.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
coldalarm said:
Dr Megadeth said:
Wait, are you suggesting that Activision should actually try to make a decent game?

Admittedly they didn't create this, but they are not creating Black Ops either, just publishing it...

Just because Activision failed with ONE game does not excuse anyone of bitching about them...***** about Kotick on the other hand, and i will let you off...

OT: Cool i guess, never been a fan of the Genre of music, but good for them :)

Tears of Blood

Jul 7, 2009
I love me some Metallica, but I still fucking hate Kotick and Activision. This move is just to kick EA while it's down with that whole "OMG TALIBAN" thing with Medal of Honor. They don't really care. If they did, they would've been doing this with all the other CoD games. No, they just want to seem like the good guys when it comes to making war games.

De Ronneman

Dec 30, 2009
Isn't there another game [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guitar_Hero:_Metallica] Metallica was involved with that also had something to do with activision...

I still hate them for bringing out the new album songs for all consoles, but not the Wii. Srsly, how hard could it have been? Or were you afraid Wii owners would download illegaly?

Metallica is still one of my favourite bands, because of what they did 25 years ago.

Also, they're still franticly [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ig3ygP5qlxw] searching for good publicity for their first decent album in 18 years...

Still not going to get CoD. Or go to the releaseparty. Not even if they gave me money to go...

Jesus Phish

Jan 28, 2010
This news piece has such a can of worms in it.

Mentioning Kotick, Activision and Metallica in one single post is just asking for several flame wars to be fuelled.

Looking past the obvious silly comments about all three parties involved, this will benefit people who fought in war, who for all we know are very well going to suffer for the rest of their days.

So for that, well done to Kotick, Activision and Metallica.

ImprovizoR

Dec 6, 2009
Wanna bet that Kotick had nothing to do with this idea? You know, because it's good. It was probably some poor bastard from the archives or whatever that came up with this.

Hayate_GT

Mar 6, 2010
whoa...more hate for metallica than i would have thought...i would go given the chance...it is one my top music groups ever...

Triforceformer

Jun 16, 2009
MichiganMuscle77 said:
Super Toast said:
Hopefully, Lars Ulrich won't try to sue everyone for no reason.
No reason, eh?

Anyone who really, truly believes that the Napster lawsuit was unjust is very, VERY naive. Until you create something and suddenly everyone has access to it FOR FREE, you probably wouldn't understand. As Lars himself said: "It's not about money for me, do I look like I need the money? I'm fine, thank you."

It was about KILLING the underground movement of music.

You know how Metallica got rolling?

Travelling all over the state of California, sharing a single $8 plate at an all you can eat buffet (even sharing the fork) because they had no money, playing at shows and trying to sell their demos. That's how they got started. Those demo sales gave them money to continue doing this.

Eventually, they exploded.

Now, imagine if you're an up and coming band these days, during the age of music piracy. You really think anyone is going to buy your demo when they can just hop online and download it for free?

Where are you going to get the money to continue touring and promoting yourself? You're NOT. The truly creative bands, the bands that have promise will die because of this.

Instead, we're given bands like Nickleback and the like that are swooped up by the music production warehouse CEO because they can sell their image, then all of their songs are written by some dudes sitting in front of computers and all they have to do is travel around and lip sync.

So, before you go blaming Metallica for ruining your precious Napster, just remember that your precious Napster probably ruined the music industry forever, and that Lars obviously saw that coming - since he lived through the hard ships that up and coming bands have to go through to get noticed.
Q to the F to the fucking T.