Metroid dread reviews are coming in at 6 a.m. Pacific time, let us have a thread about the game.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
That cloaking creature?

Odd. I beat him on the first go.
Same. I died a few times to Kraid but never felt like I was dying because the fight was unfair. The first boss I felt was a difficult challenge is one that I don't think you've gotten to yet that involves an environmental change.

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
That cloaking creature?

Odd. I beat him on the first go.
Oh in the grand scheme of things he wasn't that hard. But its a question of mentality, and things like extensive pattern recognition, little room for error and every mechanic being involved in the fight is not something you expect in a Nintendo game.

And I think that's why he's a very good boss. Because he trains the player in what's expected of them going forward.

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Not too much to say at this point. Only that the micro-missiles are sweet as fuck, and the X creatures...is it just me, or do the X creatures take more hits than their regular counterparts?

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Not too much to say at this point. Only that the micro-missiles are sweet as fuck, and the X creatures...is it just me, or do the X creatures take more hits than their regular counterparts?
Not just you. The X like to modify what they absorb so that it's more deadly and durable. This can be seen in how a lot of the creatures that were in Super Metroid that they copied did different things in Fusion.

Reactions: Hawki

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
More random thoughts:

-I've always detested the gravity suit from an aesthetic point of view (heresy, I know), but now it's got a Power Rangers logo on it? Sigh...

-Experiement Z-57. It took me twenty minutes, but I finally put the fucker down.

Dunno what happened to experiments Z-1 to Z-56, but I'm not complaining. 0_0

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
More random thoughts:

-I've always detested the gravity suit from an aesthetic point of view (heresy, I know), but now it's got a Power Rangers logo on it? Sigh...

-Experiement Z-57. It took me twenty minutes, but I finally put the fucker down.

Dunno what happened to experiments Z-1 to Z-56, but I'm not complaining. 0_0
Yes, Z-57 is what I would call the second hardest boss in the game next to the final boss but it's a fun one in my opinion.

Godzillarich(aka tf2godz)

Get the point
Legacy
Aug 1, 2011
Cretaceous
Country
USA
Yes, Z-57 is what I would call the second hardest boss in the game next to the final boss but it's a fun one in my opinion.
Honestly one of the highlights of the game for me, extremely difficult but fair boss with some clever foreshadowing, Rocking an awesome design and all-around great set piece. I've heard that there was supposed to be even more bosses but they were cut the time which is a shame which is considering how all the bosses in the game are top notch

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Honestly one of the highlights of the game for me, extremely difficult but fair boss with some clever foreshadowing, Rocking an awesome design and all-around great set piece. I've heard that there was supposed to be even more bosses but they were cut the time which is a shame which is considering how all the bosses in the game are top notch
I could see what the team could do with bosses with the Diggernaught in Samus Returns and I'm glad to see they were able to deliver with a game where they had much more free reign to do what they wanted. I hope the game continues to sell well so they can try their hand at another one, maybe Nintendo would be willing to let them do that remake of Fusion they initially approached them about.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
I could see what the team could do with bosses with the Diggernaught in Samus Returns and I'm glad to see they were able to deliver with a game where they had much more free reign to do what they wanted. I hope the game continues to sell well so they can try their hand at another one, maybe Nintendo would be willing to let them do that remake of Fusion they initially approached them about.
Does Fusion need a remake though?

Granted, Fusion's my favourite game in the series, but I'd argue it (and Super Metroid) hold up reasonably well, whereas the first two games were far more antiquated, hence why Zero Mission and Samus Retuns exist. I mean, if a remake was announced today, I wouldn't complain, but I'd generally prefer a new entry if it came to that.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States

Granted, Fusion's my favourite game in the series, but I'd argue it (and Super Metroid) hold up reasonably well, whereas the first two games were far more antiquated, hence why Zero Mission and Samus Retuns exist. I mean, if a remake was announced today, I wouldn't complain, but I'd generally prefer a new entry if it came to that.
I mean, it needs a proper port at least.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
It's even on the WiiU's eshop. No excuse for not being on the switch, they don't even need to figure out dual screen DS stuff. This is why people pirate Nintendo
Which Nintendo brought on themselves, and why I never get upset when people decide to pirate the games.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA

I'd argue that Super Metroid could use at least a partial remake. Id say it holds up in all but one respect which is audio. A lot of sound effects and music are muffled sounding.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I'd argue that Super Metroid could use at least a partial remake. Id say it holds up in all but one respect which is audio. A lot of sound effects and music are muffled sounding.
That's the main flaw with a lot of Super Nintendo games. Just because the music got closer to actual real life music, doesn't always make the sound effects good nor perfect. The Sega Genesis had its own flaws too, don't get me wrong, but at least most of their sound effects in games weren't muffled. Scratchy at times depending on the developer, but not muffled. Plus, I don't know what it was, but a lot of them seem to underestimate the sound capabilities of the Sega Genesis. It could pull plenty that the Super Nintendo couldn't do. This notion has mostly died down, but it still pop up from time to time. I remember during the Screw Attack days, the staffing there at the time were constantly bring up comparisons with the Genesis and act as if it had constant problems. They gave praises where it was due, but it was pretty clear that they were bigger Super Nintendo fans than Sega Genesis fans. There's nothing wrong with that, but I rather have a balanced perspective, or at least a different one.

Last edited:

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
If Super Metroid has a single main drawback, I'd say it's its controls. It's not only clunky to cycle between missiles and super missiles (and the beam), but...I dunno, it's hard to describe, but the 4 button scheme felt so off to me, compared to the likes of Zero Mission and Fusion (and later games as well). There's an 'offness' to Super Metroid (for me) that I'd argue Fusion and Zero rectified. They have much more intuitive control schemes, even if I'll concede they arguably had simpler ones (accounting for the GBA).

That said, I'm still not overly enthused for an SM or Fusion remake for the reasons described above. At least not when compared to the prospect of new games.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Plus, I don't know what it was, but a lot of them seem to underestimate the sound capabilities of the Sega genesis.
Iirc, it wasn't so much that they underestimated the Genesis sound chip, but that they didn't know how to really work with it yet, and Sega hq over in Japan was less than forthcoming with the proper documentation and software, especially if you weren't a Japanese dev team. So a lot of people had to figure it out themselves and program their own sound engines, with often less than stellar results. And then someone created a piece of middleware called GEMS, a relatively userfriendly music editor for Genesis. Unfortunately, the samples used in GEMS are ... eh ... garbage.But, but, it made making music a lot easier and faster, so tons of devs used it. Hence the buttload of games with a soundtrack of shrill abrassive twangs, farts and warbles.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Iirc, it wasn't so much that they underestimated the Genesis sound chip, but that they didn't know how to really work with it yet, and Sega hq over in Japan was less than forthcoming with the proper documentation and software, especially if you weren't a Japanese dev team.
Seriously, what the fuck was up with Japanese console makers doing this to Western publishers and developers? Sega had a habit of doing this constantly (sometimes even with Japanese devs) that they pissed the big Western publishers and devs off too much. Oh, and the whole they could not decide what was their true net gen console bit them in the butt even harder with Western publishers. Sony was guilty of this to both certain Japanese and Western devs during the PS2 and PS3 era. The PS2 was not easy to program for and even Capcom had trouble. Capcom asked for Sony's assistance, and they arrogantly said "No, figure it out yourself". It's why a lot of PS3 games did not run well at first due to alien hardware, and Sony being dick heads by not helping out devs not as talented nor familiar. Yet Sony was more than happy to assist their in-house studios or 2nd party studios with progamming.