Mexico in your opinion?

3 legged goat

Feb 28, 2010
It truly depends on where you go. The Gulf is beautiful and so are many other places there, but a lot of it is either just poor or really dangerous.

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
Teresa Lass said:
After watching CNN, i was wondering what is the global opinion of Mexico.
As in first tought that comes in mind. Is it a place you would want to visit?
great country with culture, but unfortunately is suffering from a corrupt government and cartels who run half the country.

which is a shame because since those two things make it such a shit hole, they come over here and then we have problems that really shouldn't be discussed here, so i digress.

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
I'm American. I think it's a country like any other. It has it's unique benefits to living there, and has a rich tradition. But it also has problems with violence with the cartels and such. And the wages and earnings need improving.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
I've been to Mexico a few times. The general "vibe" varies greatly depending on what part you visit (and when). I haven't been there since 2006, and El Paso was in the midst of a drug war when I last visited, while Progresso is about as "tourist" as it gets (great candy shops and food though. What I would do to get some more of those sugared lemon twisters).

But what's truly scary is their government.
One. Seriously. Fucked. Up. GOVERNMENT.
I can't even begin to describe my thoughts on it, but good luck hombres.

Edible Avatar

Oct 26, 2011
South is quite nice: "bebidas barato", cushy resorts, beaches, the tops. the Northern states you'd want to avoid (i understand kidnapping tourists is a lucrative trade)

Luciella

May 3, 2011
Ty for all ur answers :)
I am in fact mexican, i live in México city. So about CNN it was because i have the USA feed of it. The news in question was about cartels ofc, and how bad the drug war is turning. So, with those kind of news running globaly made me wonder what perspective the world has about us.
And sadly the opinion goes more on the bad anthics of criminals and polititians, which are a very loud minority.

Regardless, ty again for your posts, they make me see the -big picture- rather than biased self inspection. :)

Treeinthewoods

May 14, 2010
Been there a few times, it was nice for the most part but a pretty low priority to visit again. There are lots of places I have never gone that I want to see first.

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
Teresa Lass said:
I am in fact mexican, i live in México city. So about CNN it was because i have the USA feed of it. The news in question was about cartels ofc, and how bad the drug war is turning. So, with those kind of news running globaly made me wonder what perspective the world has about us.
And sadly the opinion goes more on the bad anthics of criminals and polititians, which are a very loud minority.

Regardless, ty again for your posts, they make me see the -big picture- rather than biased self inspection. :)
Well it's hard not to focus on that, I don't know if you've witnessed any of the violence or not but I personally have and it's well pretty horrible, I mean in Tijuana the most disgusting thing that happened is that I no longer cared if someone was dead, I didn't feel all that disgusted when someone died or I saw someone dead, because it happened every single day it was normal, I mean we are supposed to be at a state of peace right now yet there are more people getting killed here that in actual warzones, so it's kind of hard not to pay attention to that sort of thing.

Da Orky Man

Yeah, that's me
Apr 24, 2011
Suicidejim said:
It's pretty low on the list of places I want to visit, admittedly, not because of anything inherently wrong with Mexico, but simply because there are far too many other places that appeal to me more. So it's a resounding 'meh' of utmost neutrality.
This. I hear relatively little about in the UK, it's just another country. May go there some day, but plenty of other places are higher up on the list.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Volf said:
Teresa Lass said:
After watching CNN, i was wondering what is the global opinion of Mexico.
As in first tought that comes in mind. Is it a place you would want to visit?
Mayan people that feel oppressed and mistreated by the Mexican government.
Well, that's deserved if you ask me. The Mayans have doomed us all just because they were too lazy to make a calendar last beyond 2012 and now we got less than a year left to live.

I have mixed feelings when it comes to Mexico. There's so much that's really bad there with both the politics and the economy. It doesn't even seem like they try to hide it. I would like to go there once though

TheStatutoryApe

May 22, 2010
Teresa Lass said:

Part of the problem with the perception of Mexico is that what we hear in other countries is probably mostly what may be of interest to tourists and if you're a tourist you are probably more likely to be mugged, ripped off, scammed, or kidnapped. Its really the same in pretty much any place that attracts lots of tourists but when we add on top of that the number of news stories and movies about government corruption and the drug cartels it really gives an impression of a country full of criminals.

I live in Southern California. The is a rather large number of people even here in the US who think Los Angeles = Compton = daily driveby shootings. Hollywood is more well known than Compton though so it sort of evens out.

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
Rather than dwell on the negatives, I will think of the good things about Mexico. Which is Tequila, nachos and Catalina from My Name Is Earl.

Korolev

No Time Like the Present
Jul 4, 2008
The Mexican people are nice, and they've had a long, storied, rich history and culture. However, their government is absolutely, utterly, totally hopeless and abysmal and corrupt and has led Mexico so deep down the wrong path that nothing can stop a vicious civil war that is sure to come in the next 3 or 4 years.

In short, I like Mexicans and I like Mexican culture but Mexico as a nation is dangerous and ruled by idiotic cowardly politicians and vicious, murderous thugs. The Mexican government let the cartels do whatever they wanted for too long, naively assuming that they could control them - and then the cartels grew so powerful they rival the government. Way to go Mexican government - you've done your people proud, by screwing up the entire nation.

There are only 2 ways this is going to end: The Cartels will grow even more powerful, they will declare open war on each other and the civilian government will cease to exist in many parts of Mexico - effectively Mexican states will split.

Or the government could grow so vicious and brutal in its military response that they crush the cartels at the expense of all liberty.

I see no other way out. The Cartel leaders will never put down their guns.

Gerishnakov

Jun 15, 2010
Korolev said:
The Mexican people are nice, and they've had a long, storied, rich history and culture. However, their government is absolutely, utterly, totally hopeless and abysmal and corrupt and has led Mexico so deep down the wrong path that nothing can stop a vicious civil war that is sure to come in the next 3 or 4 years.

In short, I like Mexicans and I like Mexican culture but Mexico as a nation is dangerous and ruled by idiotic cowardly politicians and vicious, murderous thugs. The Mexican government let the cartels do whatever they wanted for too long, naively assuming that they could control them - and then the cartels grew so powerful they rival the government. Way to go Mexican government - you've done your people proud, by screwing up the entire nation.

There are only 2 ways this is going to end: The Cartels will grow even more powerful, they will declare open war on each other and the civilian government will cease to exist in many parts of Mexico - effectively Mexican states will split.

Or the government could grow so vicious and brutal in its military response that they crush the cartels at the expense of all liberty.

I see no other way out. The Cartel leaders will never put down their guns.
Or they could just legalise drugs.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
My SUBJECTIVE possibly WRONG opinion about mexico: bad place, drug cartels. would never want to visit.

Zeckt

Nov 10, 2010
I hear its a very, very, VERY VERY VERY bad idea to go there alone as a single white woman.