Michael Atkinson's Successor is an "R18+ Supporter"

Radelaide

May 15, 2008
Catkid906 said:
Haha! Brilliant! We're knocking off bad Australians with good ones! Yahtzee for Australian Prime Minister! Woo!

Calumon: So older kids can have more fun when playing now?
That would be VERY bad.

I'm glad that we have a minister who sympathises with gamers, but as it has been said before: there are ministers who are also opposed to the rating, they just weren't as Atty Katty.

Also: Australians let us all rejoice;
for we are young and free!

moose_man

Nov 9, 2009
Yahtzee, you are FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Adzma

Sep 20, 2009
GRoXERs said:
Adzma said:
GRoXERs said:
Yay!

But why is the picture of Michael Atkinson? That kinda kills the mood...
Well if you're interested here is a picture of John Rau.

It's small I know. Seems there aren't any large scale photos of him yet.
It doesn't show up for me... but that wasn't my main point.

My main point was, "EWW MICHAEL ATKINSON IS GRINNING AT ME MAKE HIM STOP!"

EDIT: Though your willingness to go a little bit out of your way in a quest to make a random stranger on the internet feel a little happier does not go unnoticed. Cookie for you.
Yay I love cookies! In all seriousness though, our saint must have a face.
That should work.

Boba Frag

Dec 11, 2009
This is an excellent development. I just hope that he keeps his current reported stance. Don't squander this opportunity guys, if he's going to listen to gamers, then you need to scratch his political back when it comes time to vote.

All in all, this is great news!

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
I called it!

I fucking called it!

Well, not really.. but I did say he was one of the 2 early names being tossed around and the other guy made a challenge to become deputy leader and got totally fucking stomped, so no good job for him.

The real thing of wonderment is that the new Attorney General is a well respected and experienced legal practitioner. That's disturbingly logical from a state government.

Ajna

Doublethinker
Mar 19, 2009
After finishing this, I imagined Atkinson walking home, dejected, while the Spetsnaz announcer from MW2 said:

"The battle is lost... But the war has just begun."

You know, in that gravelly, overly dramatic voice of his.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
This is obviously a big step forward for the R18+ crusade in Australia but I don't think it's quite "game over" just yet. Other sources of opposition to mature game ratings remain and Atkinson claimed early last year that while he was the industry's favorite punching bag, other Classification Ministers were also opposed [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/88986-Australias-Atkinson-OK-With-Restricting-Adult-Liberties] to the idea. Rau's appointment would appear to be a big boost for gamers, but as Atkinson himself proved, it only takes one well-placed opponent to hang things up for everyone.
Nevertheless, this is a massive boost to the cause of Australian gamers. We can see this as being the gaming equivalent of the Battle for Midway, or the D-Day landings. It isn't going to end the war on it's own, but it will prove to be a major turning point. Atkinson was the main opposition to an R18+ rating in Australia and while getting rid of him, by his own hand no less, was a great thing, we now have a boost to that victory with the appointment of a new AG who is not only a competent guy for the role but also sympathetic to the gamers' cause. By getting rid of one big opponent, we can see this as being like taking out a command structure. There'll only be total victory if we can wipe out the entire, or majority of, the command structure. But with Atkinson out of the playing field, this is a major step forward and will have a large impact on the remaining opposition, especially since Atkinson was, arguably, the most vocal of all the opposition to the R18+ rating for Australia.

[small]In other words, we've hit the bullseye and now the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate![/small]

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
RhomCo said:
Trivun said:
In other words, we've hit the bullseye and now the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!
'We'? The R18 issues had next to nothing to do with Aktinson's downfall.
No, you misunderstand me. I realise that completely. I just saw the opportunity to make an obscure Futurama reference and went for it. I fully realise that Atkinson retired of his own accord and that the R18+ issues were completely seperate. I just wanted to make the reference :D.

biodrew

Mar 6, 2010
RhomCo said:
Trivun said:
In other words, we've hit the bullseye and now the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!
That is the official story

Let?s not forget that officially speaking President Richard Nixon resigned

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
biodrew said:
RhomCo said:
Trivun said:
That is the official story

Let?s not forget that officially speaking President Richard Nixon resigned

It's pretty much an open secret that Atkinson 'stepped down' as AG because he was told he wouldn't be keeping the job anyway next time the caucus sat. The reasons behind that had bugger all to do with his R18 stance and everything to do with a lot of other idiocy and shitfuckery with his name on it. His faction in the ALP realised that fighting to keep him on the frontbench would cost them too much political capital and weaken their cabinet majority, so they hung him out and they got to keep the AG with their faction (Rau is the same faction as Aktinson).

Lullabye

Oct 23, 2008
AM I the only one who's sad about this? Now who the hell am I supposed rage on ? Bobby Kotick?