Michael Jackson Estate Forces Removal of Plant-Eating Zombie

Jun 16, 2010
I'm pretty sure the Jackson Estate doesn't have any legal legs to stand on (not only is this obviously parody, which is perfectly legal, but they don't even mention him directly). I think it was more of a request, which the devs took to heart. Think of it as a favour to MJ, to keep his family happy.

You're only really in breach of copyright if you try to pass other people's concepts off as your own, and even then it takes a lot of proof to convince most judges your idea was stolen.

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
I don't think Michael Jackson would have had a problem with this. MJ was humorous guy with a good sense of humor. He even supported Weird Al's parodies of his music videos. Like I'm fat [http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1959621678974565543#].

mariofan1000

Sep 25, 2009
That was the second funniest part of the game! :(

I'd understand if it was after MJ died, but it was a month before.

(I wonder what his reaction would be to it would be?)

oranger

May 27, 2008
Bah, it happens every time with famous peoples' estates being controlled by soulless corporations.

Meoith

Jun 18, 2010
Pop Cap should have made a bigger issue about instead of caving in so easily, it would have been good PR/Advertising + im sure Jacksons fans would not have been offended quite the opposite in fact, they had ample evidence to stick it to the Jackson Estate.

I guess it just shows how much the Michael Jackson Estate sucks arse, i doubt Michael Jackson would have had a issue with it infact he probably would have been flattered to see himself in that game.

Meoith

Jun 18, 2010
tomtom94 said:
Okay, now PopCap had no idea that Michael Jackson was going to die. When he did, it was a rather unfortunate moment.
And the game's been out for over a year! What actual relevance does it have?

But, hell, if they thought it was relevant they would have removed it before now, surely.
Besides Michael Jackson was already famous for playing a zombie in a music video, so that so called Michaels Jackson Estate has zero ground to complain about it being bad taste.

twm1709

Nov 19, 2009
well, it's a matter of time before Nintendo sues as well because the game features Bellsprouts... -_-

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
It was funny, but I guess if the family is offended then they should remove it. Having your husband/dad die after years of ridicule is bad, and I can see why they would take offense to have a zombie resembling him dance for some laughs. It was still funny while it lasted.

But still, you'd think that they'd like a small homage to the late king of pop, right?

ENKC

May 3, 2010
Were I to opt for sarcasm, I would suggest that depicting Michael Jackson as he was at his moment of greatest commercial success is clearly bad for his legacy. To not do so reeks of historical revisionism.

OrpheumZero

Feb 25, 2010
It's been like a year already, jeez they need to a reality check if something so insignifcant is gonna bother them like that. And last time I checked, it's parody, so it's fair use.