Microgravity Makes Interstellar Travel Impossible, Say Experts

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
Kenji_03 said:
Jegsimmons said:
Ok experts, you try it out. then we'll take your word as true.

Seriously...do scientist just make shit up just to piss off sci fi fans? cause i think they do.

remember when light speed couldnt be broken? yeah what then scientist!!! WHERES YOUR SCIENCE THEN!!!
I do agree that the level of empirical evidence for this is lacking. However, until the theory can be tested and broken -- "take it with a grain of salt".
i refuse to. i refuse to accept anything as concrete as that statement from 'experts' unless they honestly have all their shit together. im honestly tired of all the scientist truly makeing shit up with conclusions highschoolers can come up with during lunch period. and we actually fund these people with actual money?

Kenji_03

May 12, 2007
Jegsimmons said:
Kenji_03 said:
Jegsimmons said:

Seriously...do scientist just make shit up just to piss off sci fi fans? cause i think they do.

remember when light speed couldnt be broken? yeah what then scientist!!! WHERES YOUR SCIENCE THEN!!!
I do agree that the level of empirical evidence for this is lacking. However, until the theory can be tested and broken -- "take it with a grain of salt".
i refuse to. i refuse to accept anything as concrete as that statement from 'experts' unless they honestly have all their shit together. im honestly tired of all the scientist truly makeing shit up with conclusions highschoolers can come up with during lunch period. and we actually fund these people with actual money?
That is what I meant when I said "take it with a grain of salt".

Like when the FDA says that Eggs are bad for you, then 10 years later says they are very good for you (like they said 30 years ago during the rocky films). Take it with "a grain of salt" and don't take it too seriously.

scar_47

Sep 25, 2010
I think by the time we reach the point of feasible deep space travel we'll have advanced technologically to the point of having artificial gravity or other ways to offset the side effects of long tern 0 g. Reall if we tried deep space travel now it would never work.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Ok.... now to solve the artificial gravity problem so we can make space babies...

GIANT FANS! They are mounted on the ceiling and circulate the air on board while pushing everything down!

Mangue Surfer

May 29, 2010
Obvious things are obvious.
Sorry guys, I understand that you wanna find alien, fur, blue women but human beings simple live too little and are made from the wrong materials.

Urh

Oct 9, 2010
omicron1 said:
In space, no one can get a C-section.

All his other complaints may be perfectly valid, but science has had a method to circumvent the "giving birth through birth canal" concept for years and years.
Would you want to perform a C-section in a weightless environment? Or any surgery that involves cutting a person open for that matter? Surely you don't need to be a surgeon to realise what a complete clusterfuck a zero-g operating theater would be. Furthermore, the speculation about the effects of weightlessness on foetal development is presumably based upon observations of astronauts who have spent long periods of time aboard space stations and the effects the prolonged weightlessness has had on their bodies. Remember when the time comes for that space baby to be born (C-section or otherwise) it will have already spent 9 months in a weightless environment. While we simply don't know how a space baby will develop in utero until we actually try to make one, it is not unreasonable to speculate that their development will be profoundly affected by the absence of gravity.

EDIT: And it seems that they haven't touched upon broader hygiene issues that would inevitably arise aboard a spaceship on a multi-decade long mission. Towards the end of its life Mir was practically being eaten away by mold and fungus, and the ISS is running into similar problems right now. I don't know about anyone else, but I wouldn't want to step inside a space ship that's had people living inside it for 50-100 years straight.

ShindoL Shill

Truely we are the Our Avatars XI
Jul 11, 2011
oh really?
well the totally fictional Hannelore Ellicott-Chatham would beg to differ!

she's the blonde. who grew up on a fictional space station.

OT: well you could use the same technique Jeph used with her: spinning station=artificial gravity.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
Wow what a poorly written summary. They seem to be saying that extended travel in space is impossible with out artificial gravity. This might be true, even likely is true but that doesn't mean we won't come up with artificial gravity or some means to travel huge distances in almost no time at all, via some other device something similar to the fictional stargate. I guess if you want to get lots of page views about people pointing out that your title is wildly inaccurate and stupid then ya I guess you should use it. If you want to have some sort of integrity though you should change it.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
The experts have clearly missed every Star Trek episode.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Jegsimmons said:

There's that and then there's the whole fact that who really wants to embark on a journey that'll take hundreds of years anyway? Shouldn't scientists be a little more concerned with how to get us to the stars a lot faster, instead of how giving birth in zero-g would work? 'Cause I don't know about anyone else, but if I were to launch on a journey to the stars I'd want to live long enough to get there!

TheXRatedDodo

Jan 7, 2009
I heartily believe that anything is possible. After all, if you're exploring the concept of interstellar travel then surely you need the kind of bright eyed idealism needed to drive you to figure something like that out in the first place?

Eh, Science. Lol.

XDravond

Something something....
Mar 30, 2011
Hmm sounds to me like a new way to practice "safe sex"...
"Honey where out of condoms. No worry we are in space"

I'm waiting for faster than light travel, artificial gravity,(actually usable) invisibility cloaks, world peace, etc... just because it hasn't been done yet does not mean it's impossible. For this we just need to do some "DNA-engineering"...

unacomn

Mar 3, 2008
"Over time, microgravity does lots of nasty things to organic life systems; it forces muscles to atrophy, weakens bones, impairs vision and lowers blood volume, amongst other things."

So does the job I've had for the last 3 years. :D

Epic Fail 1977

Dec 14, 2010
hittite said:
Kalezian said:
Jegsimmons said:

that is entirely different, most physics dealing with space and what exactly makes up space in general is nothing but theory still.

However, we are able, and have, tested the effects of microgravity on humans for several years now.

Most of what they say is true, BUT, interstellar travel isn't impossible. You could create an artificial gravity ship fairly easily by having it rotate.

The downside of course is that the habitats would have to be built on the edges of the rotation, cutting valuable space down dramatically.

Still though, even if we did make a spaceship that was able to produce artificial gravity, we would still have to develop the technology to make it self sustainable.

Besides, there are no spare part stores or gas stations in space.

yet, anyway.
Altenatively, you could have the ship accelerate at a steady 1G until halfway there, then decelerate at 1 G the rest of the way. This, of course, comes with its own problems (for one thing, accelerating at 1G for 50 years will build up a lot of velocity, meaning that you reeeeeeaaaaally don't want to hit anything. Even a micrometeorite impact at C-fractional velocities would tear any ship to shreds.) But it's a simple solution, nonetheless.
Aside from reeeally not wanting to hit anything, maintaining 1G of thrust for several years would be infeasible. You'd need a fuel tank the size of a moon.

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
More excuses as to why we cant go full out into space colonization mode. Really wish we could get started in my lifetime but it looks grim.

Brad Shepard

Sep 9, 2009
You know, experts also said we could never break the speed of light either, well, that was a bunch of bull.

Have babies in space, screw the experts.

Robert Ewing

Mar 2, 2011
We will find a way around this. Like we did with matter overtaking light on the motorway. If we can break every rule we knew about physics, we can pop out babies in space, if we give it some thought.