Microsoft: $499 Xbox One Will "Over-Deliver" on Value

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
I guess when comparing to other high end devices like smart phones and tablets, $500 might not seem like so much. But it seems Microsoft forgot that they were supposed to make a fucking game console. A specialized device is not the same as as computer and no one wants to spend a lot money on a jack of all trades gaming machine because we already have android, Apple, and Windows for that crap. And nowadays we can get it in a portable tv-less form. What we want is an affordable gaming machine that's made for tv's and controllers because otherwise everyone would be pc gamers

Sony already tried this last time with their $500 console that "did everything" because it had a blue ray player. People only bought it after the price dropped. That's the only reason Microsoft has such a huge install base in America because the 360 was so much more affordable

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
Wow! Another absurd statement from Mattrick in the same day? Is this the result of the madness that comes from knowing that you are absolutely going to be fired from your dream job, but that they can't do it while you are still publicly visible in the press for fear of even further poisoning the new product rollout? So he just stays in the limelight getting wackier and wackier.

ASan83

Mar 11, 2011

Keep on digging, Microsoft. Someday you'll find yourself out of that hole. Or you could shut up for a little while, let the dust settle, and move on from there. Whatever works for you.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Right, there are only three possible choices.

The third console curse is actually a thing, Sony have hired Mattrick and placed him in Microsoft's infrastructure or the NSA commissioned Microsoft to make a surveillance device and Microsoft are being the good guys and making it terrible so nobody buys the thing.

I'm honestly waiting for this next.

Vylox

May 3, 2013
Yes! Just what I need... a system that is twice as expensive and half as powerful as my tablet. Might I add that it does less than my tablet too ¿

Let's see... I don't watch TV, so I'd have to pay for television services alongside my internet, costing me more money. I'd have to get XBLA, costing me more money, I'd have to pay $60 for games again costing me more money as compared to the free or $5 I pay for games on my tablet. I'd have to deal with a camera that reports back to a company that I have refused to support for the past 15 years.....

I'm really seeing the thousands of dollars in value for a $500 price tag.

ritchards

Non-gamer in a gaming world
Nov 20, 2009
"Over value"... as long as you live in one of 21 countries... and can access all the things considered to be adding value...

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
this is indeed an eerie replication of Sony's attitude during the runup to the PS3. Apparently whatever possessed Kutaragi at the time has now moved on to Mattrick.

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
StewShearer said:
"[$499] is a lower number than some of the analysts had forecasted," said Don Mattrick, head of interactive entertainment for Microsoft. "We're over-delivering value against other choices I think consumers can get. Any modern product you look at these days and $499 isn't a ridiculous price point. We're delivering thousands of dollars of value to people so I think they're going to love it when they use it." According to Mattrick the Xbox One will provide a unique combination of "devices and services" that will include Xbox Live, Kinect and SmartGlass, among other features.
So, in addition to failing to understand that internet availability isn't entirely under each customer's control, this guy also fails to understand how you convince people to buy your shit. He's told people not to buy the XBone if they don't have super internet, and now he's just telling people that, despite what they believe, $500 isn't a lot of money. Instead of telling them WHY your product is worth $500, you're just saying, "Awww, c'mon, it's not THAT much, look at these other guys!"

Can you make yourself appear any more out of touch with the average gamer?

Phrozenflame500

Dec 26, 2012
Lolno. Most of the hardcore market already knows about Micro$oft's shit, and to the more casual gamers both of the consoles seem equal anyways, so they're going to go with the cheaper one. Really the only thing I can see saving the xBone is brand loyalty, and that tends to slam face first once people realize how shit the console actually is.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
Yawn. Another day, another Microsoft statement. Insert the words "cloud", "value", "vibrant" and "sharing" at your leisure.

Give it a few more weeks and he'll be saying "The Xbone is the best console because it's powered by leprechauns."

kael013

Jun 12, 2010
[quote/]"We're over-delivering value against other choices I think consumers can get. Any modern product you look at these days and $499 isn't a ridiculous price point*. We're delivering thousands of dollars of value** to people so I think they're going to love it when they use it." According to Mattrick the Xbox One will provide a unique combination of "devices and services" that will include Xbox Live***, Kinect and SmartGlass****, among other features*****.[/quote]

* When all your competition is undercutting your price, yes it is.
** You mean the games we have to buy at $60?
*** Requires monthly subscription
**** Requires a tablet
***** Like [i/][b/]what?[/b][/i] The DRM? Those are called limitations not "features" MS.

Captcha: What. ever. Sums up my feelings perfectly.

Marowit

Nov 7, 2006
sure their hardware might be up-to-date with the competitors, but jeewhiz are they setting themselves up behind an eightball when it comes to consumers. All the online garbage, having to pay-to-play for so many features we already get for free through the current PS3's we might own.

Now, being priced at $100 more, I guess they're banking on un-witting parents buying these machines for their kids, because I can't really see any reason an 18y.o.+ gamer would support this.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
conmag9 said:
Uh-huh. Well, given that it's the customers who decide whether something is worth "thousands of dollars of value", I'm thinking you might get a little opposition to this idea.

Seriously, putting that price on it, declaring that it's actually worth so much more, like they're doing us a favor putting it $100 more than PS4 with more restrictions? How remarkably stupid they must think gamers.
consider that it's pretty much marketing 101, this has no greater disdain for the intelligence of the consumer than is demonstrated by the rest of the market.

And quite frankly, none more than is merited. If you think this is a sign of stupidity, consumers really are that stupid.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
Dear Microsoft,

Just ask someone at Sony how it works out when you launch with the highest priced console. (you end up third in a race of three)

Yours truly,
Paul

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
You think the Xbone is secretly worth thousands of dollars? Over-delivering?

Nothing of substance was said here today.

Daaaah Whoosh

Jun 23, 2010
Well, now I'm worried that the Xbone is going to pull solid gold out of its ass on launch day, and I'll be stuck with a crummy PS4. Because before, even if it had happened, at least I could say Microsoft didn't think their console was better either.

tardcore

Jan 15, 2011
Hoo boy you microsoft deluded corporate fuck sticks. Gamers wanted a new more powerful game console with kick ass new games. Instead you twonks designed some kind of Frankenstein's monster social media device where gaming not only comes with draconian restrictions but seems to be an afterthought. Face it, your idea is not popular. Of course now that you see that, there is nothing you can do but keep beating the drum on how awesome your idea is until your stupid little ship hits the big iceberg your competitor has launched and you sink into the depths.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Dastardly said:
Can you make yourself appear any more out of touch with the average gamer?
This reminds me of an awkwrd series of conversations I once had about this girl that apparently liked me, but I didn't really like. I already had someone I was interested in and while we were yet to define our relationship in any solid way, it looked like things were going that way. And my friends were trying to talk me into this really nice girl with the sort of argument that she's "really not that bad." not those exact words, but the same sort of sentiment.

It's awkward when it's social. It's pathetic when it's a product you're marketing.