Microsoft Adds a Price Tag to Left 4 Dead's DLC

Chaossebba

Aug 11, 2008
Yay for TF2 and L4D being my very first real pc games i bought.

Jezus, i cant help but think that its kind of a dick move. I feel bad for the guys who're playing it on the xbox :|

Apr 28, 2008
If Valve, a smaller company, can keep steam running, support so many games from so many publishers/developers, and still release dlc for their games for free, then there is no reason why Microsoft, a larger company, with lots of money, and a subscription service for xbox live, and didn't even develope/port it, can't release it for free.

Zac_Dai said:
AdambotLive said:
Off-topic, to the boycotters: you wanted DLC, go get it, PWNED!
So the boycotters got pwned by getting what they wanted, that being DLC?

Nice logic there.
I think he meant that they were pwned because they said Valve would abandon Left 4 Dead, but they didn't, so the boycotters were wrong, and so they got pwned.

Collymilad08

Oct 9, 2008
I agree this isn't right and the whole "you have to pay for content" thing doesn't really hold up when A)The devs are saying they didn't want to charge and B)Others are getting it for free.

However this is news to people? It's been known for quite a while now that MS have forced devs to charge for content they didn't want to, at least since the thing about no TF2 updates - Valve mentioned this reason back then.

Mar 16, 2009
Here's the deal: if they charged any money on Steam, no one would buy it. Since the modding community is thriving, you can find other campaigns as it is. There is enough fresh content to never need justfying paying for additional content. On the Xbox, however, there isn't any ability to get such brilliant additions as the Pee-Wee Herman voice mod or new levels, so we have no other choice than to pay.
If both the XBL and Steam maps cost any money, Valve would never see a penny of it through Steam. By charging for one, not the other, it gives them the appearance of the big heroes of the gaming world that they love, while at the same time still profiting from the XBL costs and the evil Microsoft.

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
Dottie said:
news just in,Microsoft is gonna make a new attachment for the xbox that makes you pay 50 cents every time you boot your system.
Thing is, that probably wouldn't stop half of the 360 owners on these forums from still buying/ owning their system.

Gaderael

Apr 14, 2009
Nothing surprises me anymore. The only thing I'm wondering, is if Valve could have paid a certain fee to have the updates put on the server, so that the player base could have downloaded it for free?

Taerdin

Nov 7, 2006
Irridium said:
If Valve, a smaller company, can keep steam running, support so many games from so many publishers/developers, and still release dlc for their games for free, then there is no reason why Microsoft, a larger company, with lots of money, and a subscription service for xbox live, and didn't even develope/port it, can't release it for free.

Zac_Dai said:
AdambotLive said:

Nice logic there.
I think he meant that they were pwned because they said Valve would abandon Left 4 Dead, but they didn't, so the boycotters were wrong, and so they got pwned.
They were worried that they had abandoned it, and so were rally support in hopes that they didn't. Then they didn't. What DLC was there before the boycott, in those like 7 months? The survival pack (essentially a re-release of maps)? Do you really think they spent 8 months creating half a campaign? I'd call that a boycott win if anything, not that anyone around here would admit it (bloody knee jerk reaction, media drone, ignorant masses). PWNED!!!

MR.Spartacus

Jul 7, 2009
oppp7 said:
The sad thing is that people will still dl it...

Though technically, there's nothing saying they have to make DLC free. It's using their servers and costing them money. I'm not going to buy it, but I can understand why they wouldn't want to give away freebies.
So what does the fifty dollars a year for gold membership go to? I thought that was what helped with server costs.

Zac_Dai

Oct 21, 2008
Irridium said:

Zac_Dai said:
AdambotLive said:

Nice logic there.
Like the other poster I don't think you understand the boycott.

Their manifesto contains three requests of Valve, one of them (being the only one I supported) is:

"-That Valve honor its commitment to release ongoing periodic content for Left 4 Dead."

Which Valve have now done.

I fail to see how the boycotters got pwned on that one.

Octorok

May 28, 2009
D_987 said:
I thought this had already been announced a while ago...?
Ages ago. I knew that Crash Course cost 560 MS Points months back, you know, when they actually announced it.

This is a bit odd. I'm not going to complain ; Sure, it pisses me off that Microsoft are forcing people to pay for something that is free on the PC, but hey, it's their distribution system. Let 'em charge for it. I won't be getting it, as I sold my L4D on 360.

Disaster Button

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2009
ssgt splatter said:
Big deal, we have to pay $7 for new DLC. I'm a rich SOB, I have $250 in my wallet alone so it doesn't bother me too much. Besides, Microsoft knows we're going to buy the DLC anyway regardless of the price they put on it so relax; save the price moaning for MW2's price tag.
So you basically just said FUCK THE POOR!?

Thank god I'm a PC gamer <3

Apr 28, 2008
Zac_Dai said:
Like the other poster I don't think you understand the boycott.

Their manifesto contains three requests of Valve, one of them (being the only one I supported) is:

"-That Valve honor its commitment to release ongoing periodic content for Left 4 Dead."

Which Valve have now done.

I fail to see how the boycotters got pwned on that one.
Yeah, I guess I don't quite understand it that much.

ThePirateMan

Jul 15, 2009
Disaster Button said:
ssgt splatter said:
Big deal, we have to pay $7 for new DLC. I'm a rich SOB, I have $250 in my wallet alone so it doesn't bother me too much. Besides, Microsoft knows we're going to buy the DLC anyway regardless of the price they put on it so relax; save the price moaning for MW2's price tag.
So you basically just said FUCK THE POOR!?

Thank god I'm a PC gamer <3
Come Mr. Disaster Button, let's go cuddle with our PC:es and laugh at the silly Xbox 360's

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
MR.Spartacus said:
oppp7 said:
The sad thing is that people will still dl it...

Though technically, there's nothing saying they have to make DLC free. It's using their servers and costing them money. I'm not going to buy it, but I can understand why they wouldn't want to give away freebies.
So what does the fifty dollars a year for gold membership go to? I thought that was what helped with server costs.
Ya, but you could say the same for WoW and other MMOs. All of them charge $15 a month for server stuff, so Microsoft is actually cheap.

Christemo

Jan 13, 2009
luckely i dont have a 360. but let my say my opinion in 3 words: FUCK YOU MICROSOFT! .

sorry, but i just hate the treatment you 360 guys get.