Microsoft Adds a Price Tag to Left 4 Dead's DLC

Hamster at Dawn

It's Hazard Time!
Mar 19, 2008
Did Microsoft insist on charging 560 points for it? Because if they just said that you have to charge for it then you could charge like 1 point which would be hilarious.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
Proteus214 said:
BOO!

Thanks Microsoft. You know, just because you can, doesn't mean you should.
I say this to people all the time who say "It's just business." Because it isn't just business, it is a dick move.

oppp7 said:
MR.Spartacus said:
oppp7 said:
The sad thing is that people will still dl it...

Though technically, there's nothing saying they have to make DLC free. It's using their servers and costing them money. I'm not going to buy it, but I can understand why they wouldn't want to give away freebies.
So what does the fifty dollars a year for gold membership go to? I thought that was what helped with server costs.
Ya, but you could say the same for WoW and other MMOs. All of them charge $15 a month for server stuff, so Microsoft is actually cheap.
Except most of the content on WoW is free.

They've had something like 2 expansions you've paid for and 19-20 content packs you haven't.

Babypummeler

Aug 30, 2009
Damn DLC, it has become such a huge fad to charge people for the whole experience of their game, not to mention the Assassin's creed 2 BS. I say we have a violent coup against organizations that pull this Crap, then we move onto overthrowing governments once we have overthrown the corporations, then once that is complete, we exterminate everyone who is not a gamer (except like 50% of the female population, we still need those things)
I just want people dead, I dont really care how we go about doing it.

letsnoobtehpwns

Dec 28, 2008
For some reason, I really don't care. Probably because I no longer have to go out and by a prepaid card and $7 is pretty much nothing. I know that DLC is overpriced and that the PC has it free but, this is one of those few times I'll just let it slide.

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
I would ordinarily just laugh and enjoy not having to deal with Microsoft's stupid micro-transactions for free content, but their retarded point system does impact me nowadays thanks to Games for Windows Live and Fallout 3. It's reprehensible that you can't just bloody pay what things cost, you have to buy 'points' instead and the amount you can purchase never equals what anything costs, so you end up with points you can't use and that's just free money for Microsoft.

On the consoles that may be business as usual, but pulling that kind of nonsense on the PC is just ridiculous and insulting - digital distribution is after all something the PC has been doing for bloody years and nobody else (that matters) is pulling that kind of crap. Shame on you Microsoft.

Disaster Button

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2009
ThePirateMan said:
Disaster Button said:
ssgt splatter said:
Big deal, we have to pay $7 for new DLC. I'm a rich SOB, I have $250 in my wallet alone so it doesn't bother me too much. Besides, Microsoft knows we're going to buy the DLC anyway regardless of the price they put on it so relax; save the price moaning for MW2's price tag.
So you basically just said FUCK THE POOR!?

Thank god I'm a PC gamer <3
Come Mr. Disaster Button, let's go cuddle with our PC:es and laugh at the silly Xbox 360's
A banquet shall be held! PC's deserve the best kinda lovin'

Arassar

Nov 25, 2008
theultimateend said:

They've had something like 2 expansions you've paid for and 19-20 content packs you haven't.
All the players pay $15 bucks a month, and since they have millions and millions of subscribers they make way more money than they need to maintain the servers.

On L4D: Don't like paying for stuff? Too bad. Microsoft is under no obligation to give it to you for free just because Valve does it. I play L4D on the PC because I'll never play an FPS on the console if I don't have to, so I don't give a crap if they charge. :D

TheNumber1Zero

Forgot to Remember
Jul 23, 2009
people have to pay for games?!oh noes!!

its's the console versions,just because one of the dlc's was free doesn't mean there all gonna be free.

the last one was just a small new mode and some maps that you already ahd becoming accessable in versus.

this one is a new map,meaning it is gonna cost you.

get used to it or switch to pc.

Sanaj

Mar 20, 2009
Machines Are Us said:
HentMas said:
how weird, a company that wants to make money!?!? ODD!!
You know, that argument is starting to sound really stupid.

If it is free on PC then it should be free on all platforms. The same goes for everything else, it punishes people for buying games on a certain platform and that is not fair.

If they charged on all platforms then your argument would be valid.
Agreed, quite frankly I'm a bit surprised that so many people are being supportive of Microsoft's decision to charge for this DLC.

Supreme Unleaded

Aug 3, 2009
Hamster at Dawn said:
Did Microsoft insist on charging 560 points for it? Because if they just said that you have to charge for it then you could charge like 1 point which would be hilarious.
I could see (if that happend) someone wanting to get something for say 800 MSP but they only have 799, I would laugh my ass off.

Tucker154

Jul 20, 2009
im not to thrilled to pay for it, but at least i dont need to pay the full 800 points.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Arassar said:
theultimateend said:

All the players pay $15 bucks a month, and since they have millions and millions of subscribers they make way more money than they need to maintain the servers.
If you think all the money from WoW goes to maintaining servers and then the leftover goes to lining their pockets you're very much mistaken. They've got four other games in development, plus continuous work on WoW, plus customer service, plus lawyers, plus taxes, plus general bills, plus administration, plus publishing costs (they self-publish all of their games), plus...well, you see where I'm going with this?

Just because they make a lot of money with WoW doesn't mean they're rolling in that much cash. I don't doubt they are making a profit (that's...kinda the point of a business) but whenever people claim Blizzard are covered in cash I doubt they really think through just how wide their arms are stretched for current projects. Heck, if I'm not mistaken they're still patching Starcraft and Warcraft 3 with balance adjustments. Yeah, the last Starcraft patch was January this year.

/off topic off.

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
ryai458 said:
its not nice but hey all is fair in love, war, and microsoft.
That's an awesome quote. You should patent that and sell it on T-shirts.

Shycte

Mar 10, 2009
Of course this makes me sad, but I understand why. There has to be somekind of money in it for MicroSoft at some point.

It's not cheap being the best.

wordsmith

TF2 Group Admin
May 1, 2008
johnman said:
Its good to be a PC gamer. Free DLC all round!
*chinks "Free DLC Mug" *

Thanks Valve, thanks for *almost* making up for the exclusives I have to miss *hugs*