Microsoft and Nvidia Quit PC Gaming Alliance - UPDATED

paketep

Jul 14, 2008
"but without those three on the list it's hard to imagine that the group's relevance won't become increasingly questionable"

Really?. Is it remotely possible that the PCGA can be even LESS relevant?. I don't think so.

At least Microsoft stopped pretending. They've been doing all they can to kill the PC for years, and now they're trying to get back on PC Gamer's good graces by butchering Age of Empires. Not a good start.

Apr 28, 2008
Way to commit to PC gaming Microsoft. Then again it may be a good thing. MS seems to want to completely cripple PC gaming with GFWL, so perhaps them leaving is a sign of less GFWL.

Oh who am I kidding...

raxiv said:
No Mass Effect 3 for PC I reckon?
The hell you talking about? EA is publishing ME3, and they'd want it on as many platforms as possible to maximize profits.

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
Jumwa said:
Losing Microsoft is no big deal. Ignoring the loss of Nvidia, Microsoft leaving might've just been an indication of the positive, seeing as their goals seem to be in sabotaging the PC gaming market in favour of their games console.
Hardly. PC gaming is one of the pillars of their Windows empire.
The average consumer who doesn't game on his PC can can get by with old windows 2000 or xp and a 10 year old CPU. That will run their webbrowser and wordprocessing needs fine. Gaming is the most demanding application.
Cut out a big portion of the early adopters and the rest will be much slower to catch up. It would hurt the entire industry. Nvidia, AMD, Intel, the lot.

M$ wants both PC and xbox gaming. Their best move was making a directx console, very similar to a PC, making porting games between the 360 and the PC so much easier.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
All nVidia seems to do these days is produce faulty hardware, and does Microsoft even make games anymore? Doesn't seem like that big of a loss.

Johnnyallstar

Feb 22, 2009
You know, looking at them, I don't think there's a lot that they really did all that well anyway. The only possibility is getting a forum for the businesses to talk to each other, but that's not really necessary. If they want to talk, they'll manage a way to get the message across.

Void(null)

Dec 10, 2008
Xzi said:
How the hell does Nvidia bail on the PCGA when they're the biggest manufacturer of desktop graphics cards? I guess the PCGA isn't very representative of PC gaming as a whole, eh?
Because the PCGA is complete and utter bullshit, and little more than marketing. Microsoft and nVidia are not pulling out of PC gaming, they are pulling out of the Bullshit alliance that has done exactly jack and shit since its inception.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
If I may...
Seriously, I'll concur with HankMan in saying that with this, the PCGA is pretty much done.

raxiv said:
No Mass Effect 3 for PC I reckon?
Talk about jumping to conclusions, especially considering EA isn't in the PCGA.

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
Gamers should make up the gaming alliance and draft up a bill of rights.

Things like;

fair pricing for good games, and by fair i mean that pc games should not cost as much as console games. why? because console games can be rented and resold. the idea that a limited use software as 90% of all pc software is now to the point that publishers insist we do not even own the software we buy we just lease the right to use it, then our software holds 0 resale value, because of drm.

All games should be supported equally across all platforms. Exclusive DLC should go the way of the dodo, i am fine with DLC that is first for one console or another but all DLC should be eventually released for all plaforms including pc.

DLC should be actual DLC, not stripped out or locked out game content you charge for people to unlock, EA i a staring directly at you. Nevermnd the extreme joke of you telling pc users no "DLC" in your dead space 2 when people have already hacked all the DLC into the game.

DLC must require an actual download and show some effort put into the making of that DLC.

Ports should show the same quality and care across all platforms and bugs must be addressed in a timely manner.

Listen to your communities, might be alot to sort through but in all that clutter the communities are usually right in one way or another. GIve and take between developers and publishers and the communities that gather around them should be first and formost in every companies mind not just over at valve.

More games need SDKs on pc side, pc communities have a wide range of dedicated people that spend a ton of time making new content that expands the life of games and sell more games in the long run. Give those people the tools to do that and support them in their efforts as best as you can, stop stifling mods and mod creation.

Stop selling us a bunch of fail as the next big thing. I am talking about dx10 and dx10.5 a colossal load of pr and hype that amounted to jack squat. Nevermind the gall of microsoft and nvidia and ATI to come out with cards that had to be bought for the next update in dx10. Where is all our money back from that failboat?

If we got a fraction of the pc gamer userbase together the amount of pull we have could be enormous, in what we drop in hardware and software each and every year. Why do we need a bunch of corporate people and industry insiders claiming to speak for us?

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
cerebus23 said:
Gamers should make up the gaming alliance and draft up a bill of rights.

Things like;

fair pricing for good games, and by fair i mean that pc games should not cost as much as console games. why? because console games can be rented and resold. the idea that a limited use software as 90% of all pc software is now to the point that publishers insist we do not even own the software we buy we just lease the right to use it, then our software holds 0 resale value, because of drm.

All games should be supported equally across all platforms. Exclusive DLC should go the way of the dodo, i am fine with DLC that is first for one console or another but all DLC should be eventually released for all plaforms including pc.

DLC should be actual DLC, not stripped out or locked out game content you charge for people to unlock, EA i a staring directly at you. Nevermnd the extreme joke of you telling pc users no "DLC" in your dead space 2 when people have already hacked all the DLC into the game.

DLC must require an actual download and show some effort put into the making of that DLC.

Ports should show the same quality and care across all platforms and bugs must be addressed in a timely manner.

Listen to your communities, might be alot to sort through but in all that clutter the communities are usually right in one way or another. GIve and take between developers and publishers and the communities that gather around them should be first and formost in every companies mind not just over at valve.

More games need SDKs on pc side, pc communities have a wide range of dedicated people that spend a ton of time making new content that expands the life of games and sell more games in the long run. Give those people the tools to do that and support them in their efforts as best as you can, stop stifling mods and mod creation.

Stop selling us a bunch of fail as the next big thing. I am talking about dx10 and dx10.5 a colossal load of pr and hype that amounted to jack squat. Nevermind the gall of microsoft and nvidia and ATI to come out with cards that had to be bought for the next update in dx10. Where is all our money back from that failboat?

If we got a fraction of the pc gamer userbase together the amount of pull we have could be enormous, in what we drop in hardware and software each and every year. Why do we need a bunch of corporate people and industry insiders claiming to speak for us?
Ah, pc gaming heaven, yeah? That would be the day, sure enough

faselei

Jul 19, 2008
I dunno, this seems like a strange move from MS.

If they want to go their own way and make a MS Steam then it may make some sense, but without games, there's little reason to run Windows. We've switched to Linux on 3/4 PCs just because it's so fast and requires so little power and i've helped various friends and relatives make the switch as they've lost CDs/ license stickers/ faith in Windows.

Why else run Windows if not for games? If you have the cash, go Apple. If you don't, run Linux. I know naff all about computers and frankly find Ubuntu easier to use than windows, mainly because of its own 'app' store; the software centre, which does just everything for you.

I'll stick with the PS3 for boo, boom games. I still have vista on one partition of one computer for one reason only; games.

Jumwa

Jun 21, 2010
veloper said:
Hardly. PC gaming is one of the pillars of their Windows empire.
The average consumer who doesn't game on his PC can can get by with old windows 2000 or xp and a 10 year old CPU. That will run their webbrowser and wordprocessing needs fine. Gaming is the most demanding application.
Cut out a big portion of the early adopters and the rest will be much slower to catch up. It would hurt the entire industry. Nvidia, AMD, Intel, the lot.

M$ wants both PC and xbox gaming. Their best move was making a directx console, very similar to a PC, making porting games between the 360 and the PC so much easier.
I guess that explains why they pay other companies money to not release content on the PC and only do so exclusively for the Xbox. Or having their own developers not release content for PC even though the developers planned to. All while buying out other PC game makers and having them turn what was originally a PC-only title in a Xbox only title.

Though PC gaming might be important to Microsofts business, their investment of cash speaks to the fact they don't recognize it as such.