Microsoft and Nvidia Quit PC Gaming Alliance - UPDATED

murphy7801

Apr 12, 2009
raxiv said:
No Mass Effect 3 for PC I reckon?
Well since bioware went on record saying that they use the pc as the lead development platform and support that first not very likely lol.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
I just recalled something, its easier to run day one games on the 360 than the PC, sure its single player only but WTF MS get a clue.....

Skizle

Feb 12, 2009
Am I the only one whos tired of hearing about these guys? I'd hate to admit it, but I'de rather listen to 2 Valve fanboys about how much they love the G-Man

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
ZippyDSMlee said:
I just recalled something, its easier to run day minus one games on the 360 than the PC, sure its single player only but WTF MS get a clue.....
Fix'd it for you. The 360 is leak central.

Yankeedoodles

Sep 10, 2010
HankMan said:
5t3v0 said:
Well nVidia is no biggie... as long as ATI is in there/hasnt left... but yeah,

HankMan said:
It's official: PCGA has gone the way of the League of Nations.
What next? The United PC gamers that is *Slightly* more successful?
Well someone has to keep South Korea propped up. =/
I laughed. That's probably the best political/historical/gaming joke I've seen in a while.

imperialreign

Mar 23, 2010
Xzi said:
How the hell does Nvidia bail on the PCGA when they're the biggest manufacturer of desktop graphics cards? I guess the PCGA isn't very representative of PC gaming as a whole, eh?
It doesn't surprise me - this isn't the first group undertaking that nVidia has jumped ship on. Sadly, the way they operate, if they're not getting their way, they drop the undertaking with a quickness.

. . . TBH, they remind me a lot like how SONY approaches group collaborations . . .

Whatever, though - as long as Intel and AMD stay onboard, this group still has some major influence. As much as those two don't always get along, they're typically willing to put aside differences for the greater good of the market - unlike nVidia and AMD's relationship.

I think MS but have backed out as a "conflict of interest," seeing as how their primary gaming focus right now is the xBox. They haven't done much of anything with the "Games for Windows" campaign, aside from box labeling and such.

Plurralbles

Jan 12, 2010
Epic Games is still there so yeah.

IfPC gaming went bust Starcraft II and minecraft like games would get fucked over so incredibly hard.

I'm glad AMD is there too, Intel sucks dick at making cards so imo, has no voice though everything else is awesome.

Grey_Focks

Jan 12, 2010
....what the hell is the PC Gaming Alliance? Seriously, why is this the first time I've heard this thing even existed. And as a relatively avid PC gamer, me not even knowing who the hell they are just shows what a bang-up job they're doing!

HyenaThePirate

Jan 8, 2009
WHy are people acting as if the only way a company can produce PC games is if they are part of the PC Gaming Alliance?

Just because Nvidia and Microsoft and Activision have backed out doesn't mean they'll be abandoning PC gaming at all. It's not like Oh dear, so much for Fable 3 on pc!

All it means is that they aren't going to throw their lot in with a bunch of other self-important windbags.

In a way I think they didn't like the idea of all that "sharing" of technological information. From a business standpoint, it sounds like it might leave someone dangerously open to giving away valuable corporate secrets to their competitors.
Especially for Nvidia, who arguably leads the pack in graphics cards, I can imagine that they want to carefully limit the ability of other competitors (some of whom have had a rather dark history of "copying" competitor's technology and ideas *cough*Sony*cough*).

In the fast paced world of gaming and computer technology, a person would be wise to keep their cards extremely close to their vest.

crazypsyko666

I AM A GOD
Apr 8, 2010
Dear Escapist: Please don't be so overly dramatic with your title names. This is not the end of PC gaming, just as Microsoft giving us Halo 2 on Vista wasn't allowing us access to their fountain of youth. Don't hurt the brains of the frail-minded IGN and Gamestop cheevo morons.

Super Toast

Supreme Overlord of the Basement
Dec 10, 2009
I understand Microsoft bailing, but Nvidia? Really? Oh well. AMD is way better anyway.

Ulairi

One of the Nine
Dec 2, 2003
Microsoft quit PC gaming 6 years ago. Nivdia has made it clear they're more interested in the mobile market than pc market. PC gaming revenue was up while console revenue was down. Bad reporting.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
cerebus23 said:
Gamers should make up the gaming alliance and draft up a bill of rights.

Things like;

fair pricing for good games, and by fair i mean that pc games should not cost as much as console games. why? because console games can be rented and resold. the idea that a limited use software as 90% of all pc software is now to the point that publishers insist we do not even own the software we buy we just lease the right to use it, then our software holds 0 resale value, because of drm.

All games should be supported equally across all platforms. Exclusive DLC should go the way of the dodo, i am fine with DLC that is first for one console or another but all DLC should be eventually released for all plaforms including pc.

DLC should be actual DLC, not stripped out or locked out game content you charge for people to unlock, EA i a staring directly at you. Nevermnd the extreme joke of you telling pc users no "DLC" in your dead space 2 when people have already hacked all the DLC into the game.

DLC must require an actual download and show some effort put into the making of that DLC.

Ports should show the same quality and care across all platforms and bugs must be addressed in a timely manner.

Listen to your communities, might be alot to sort through but in all that clutter the communities are usually right in one way or another. GIve and take between developers and publishers and the communities that gather around them should be first and formost in every companies mind not just over at valve.

More games need SDKs on pc side, pc communities have a wide range of dedicated people that spend a ton of time making new content that expands the life of games and sell more games in the long run. Give those people the tools to do that and support them in their efforts as best as you can, stop stifling mods and mod creation.

Stop selling us a bunch of fail as the next big thing. I am talking about dx10 and dx10.5 a colossal load of pr and hype that amounted to jack squat. Nevermind the gall of microsoft and nvidia and ATI to come out with cards that had to be bought for the next update in dx10. Where is all our money back from that failboat?

If we got a fraction of the pc gamer userbase together the amount of pull we have could be enormous, in what we drop in hardware and software each and every year. Why do we need a bunch of corporate people and industry insiders claiming to speak for us?
Sorry but your first point is a fail. Yes console gamers can and do sell their games. Why? because console gamers don't have the ability to mod our games and get more replay value from a single game. We get what is in the box no more and no less. I think that it is fair that we pay the same price for that. We get a return in monetary value. You get a higher return in time spent playing.

Most of the rest of your points apply just as much to consoles as they do to PC games and I agree with 100% since it happens between all 3 not just on the PC.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Soooooooo what does this actually mean? is it a big deal? because this PCGA never seemed like mich of a big player in the first place

I think "goodbye PC gaming" is a little dramatic