Microsoft and Nvidia Quit PC Gaming Alliance - UPDATED

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
The percentage is games that can be modded is fairly small, most games now days are based on the unreal engine which is near impossible to mod in any but the most basic of ways ini editing or running texture mods via txtmod. And the number of people that do not even bother with mods our games have LESS value than console games our games have 0 trade in value, cannot be rented and if a game is 60 dollars on pc, that gets snubbed for DLC regulalry, gets made to wait for release after consoles part of the time, then console games should be 70 and 80 dollars since microsoft and sony take a chunk out of that price for the honor for that game to be on their systems, pc has no fee for you to be on it, raising the price for pc games is greed, and a slap to pc players since all that lovely DRM means that that game disk is not worth the plastic it is made of.

Sure give is SDK kits for every game made open the unreal engine so it is moddable and then maybe you got a point but as it stands now that is a pretty weak argument to say that we should pay 60 dollars for a pc game.

Saviordd1

Jan 2, 2011
What is this I dont even....

OT: Ive never even heard of the PC gaming alliance and i follow the gaming industry pretty well, that speaks volumes about them to me

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Microsoft: You said you cared deeply about PC Gaming.

http://imagemacros.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/you_lied.jpg

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
crazypsyko666 said:
Dear Escapist: Please don't be so overly dramatic with your title names. This is not the end of PC gaming, just as Microsoft giving us Halo 2 on Vista wasn't allowing us access to their fountain of youth. Don't hurt the brains of the frail-minded IGN and Gamestop cheevo morons.
Um, "Microsoft and Nvidia Quit PC Gaming Alliance" is perfectly accurate. What do you want them to say, "Microsoft and Nvidia Did Something"?

gally912

Mar 7, 2010
lacktheknack said:
crazypsyko666 said:
Dear Escapist: Please don't be so overly dramatic with your title names. This is not the end of PC gaming, just as Microsoft giving us Halo 2 on Vista wasn't allowing us access to their fountain of youth. Don't hurt the brains of the frail-minded IGN and Gamestop cheevo morons.
Um, "Microsoft and Nvidia Quit PC Gaming Alliance" is perfectly accurate. What do you want them to say, "Microsoft and Nvidia Did Something"?
The home-page short title is "Good-bye, PC Gaming"

Only reason I read the article was because of that.

crazypsyko666

I AM A GOD
Apr 8, 2010
lacktheknack said:
crazypsyko666 said:
Check the homepage. "Goodbye, PC Gaming". Does that not sound like a doomsaying attention grabbing tabloid title?

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
crazypsyko666 said:
lacktheknack said:
crazypsyko666 said:
Check the homepage. "Goodbye, PC Gaming". Does that not sound like a doomsaying attention grabbing tabloid title?
gally912 said:
lacktheknack said:
crazypsyko666 said:
The home-page short title is "Good-bye, PC Gaming"

Only reason I read the article was because of that.
Ah. I saw it in the "Latest Posts" section.

Wiryjackal

Dec 30, 2010
I can't really understand why you back out of this type of thing? PC gaming isn't going anywhere. People can claim that it's getting smaller but it will never be really gone. There's just too much of the market on it.(And pretty much everything free is on PC gaming too.)

crazypsyko666

I AM A GOD
Apr 8, 2010
lacktheknack said:
Ah. I saw it in the "Latest Posts" section.
Me too. Then I saw it on the front page, hence my first post being less of a complaint, and the second one being a 'Are you serious, Escapist?'

DeadFetus511

Oct 14, 2010
When I read the title, I instantly thought that Microsoft and nVidia had left PC gaming completely... I was like WOAH WTF!?

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Microsoft? I don't remember the last time they released a game for PC...

nVidia? Oh, those guys that make us pay twice as much for GPUs as in USA? Ya, I'll stick to AMD.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
Here is the honest truth: It all boils down to a set standard. Game developers have been wanting a set of PC standards to develop too. It is way to costly to develop for every PC configuration out there when you can put a game out to an Xbox, Playstation, or Wii and know the game will work on the system without major problems. Just browsing the PC Gaming Alliance website, it look like they were the ones pushing tougher standards for developers and Microsoft and NVidia are the ones who were in disagreement.

It is either going to be cheaper computers, but no real major changes in development for games, or more expensive computers, but a better selection of game that are guaranteed to work on your computer.

Shameless

Jun 28, 2010
Gamers, Here is why you shouldn't care about this:

1. PCGA have no accomplishments what so ever, if anyone has to be credited for pushing PC gaming forward it's Steam.

2. PC have always been an open platform, no one has control over it, not even Microsoft and even Microsoft made Windows into an open platform since ages so PCGA has no control over it thus your favorite games will still be released on PC

PCGA is just a show of organization.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Microsoft, that makes sense but why nvidia?

the majority of Nvidia's bottom line is from people wanting to play games on their PC, as big as their co-processing is it isn't that significant and their headway into console gaming hardware is terrible far lagging behind AMD, IBM and even ARM Holdings.

SO what is Nvidia's play here.... is it that PC Gaming Alliance just isn't up to the task?

ksn0va

Jun 9, 2008
NVIDIA might be a blow, but Microsoft hasn't been doing anything for the PC lately.

Apostacious

Apr 3, 2010
ksn0va said:
NVIDIA might be a blow, but Microsoft hasn't been doing anything for the PC lately.
yeah nothing at all, only created the operating system on which the games run, right? that's nothing! yeah F*ck them! OHHH WAAAAAA BOOOOOOOOOOOOO

seriously....

Thrust said:
Gamers, Here is why you shouldn't care about this:

1. PCGA have no accomplishments what so ever, if anyone has to be credited for pushing PC gaming forward it's Steam.

2. PC have always been an open platform, no one has control over it, not even Microsoft and even Microsoft made Windows into an open platform since ages so PCGA has no control over it thus your favorite games will still be released on PC

PCGA is just a show of organization.
quoted for agreement.