Microsoft Applies to Patent New, Realistic Avatar Technology

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Microsoft Applies to Patent New, Realistic Avatar Technology

Microsoft [http://www.microsoft.com] has applied for a patent on technology that could lead to a whole new generation of user avatars, characterized by a disturbing realism that could lead to unprecedented levels of honesty and disappointment on the internet.

Online avatars can take many forms but for the 90 percent of us who aren't particularly attractive, the one thing they typically are not is realistic. Most of us have no particular desire to advertise the fact that our hairlines end somewhere directly north of our ears or that we can hide our belt buckles behind our gut flaps. Up until now it hasn't been a problem; people can just plaster a photo of whichever rippling studmeister catches their fancy onto their online account and nobody ever has to know what a greasy lard-ass they are in real life. But Microsoft appears to be interested in changing all that, based on a potentially disturbing patent application [http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PG01&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsrchnum.html&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=%2220090309891%22.PGNR.&OS=DN/20090309891&RS=DN/20090309891] filed last week.

It appears that Microsoft wants to build an avatar system that reflects us not as we want to be seen, but as we actually are. "Increasingly, people interact with services, information, or other people through a virtual environment," the company said in the application. "Often, these interactions are in a virtual space accessible by a large number of other people via a virtual persona. Examples of such virtual personas are avatars that present a sensory representation (i.e., graphical, auditory) of a particular person, often tailored to selected or predetermined characteristics."

The application notes that while the disconnect between reality and avatar-based fantasy has many advantages in "social interaction environments," there are some drawbacks as well. "Physical cues" that would exist in a face-to-face meeting aren't present, making it difficult to ascertain mood, which can sometimes hinder conversation. Furthermore, some people come to prefer the lives and super-abilities of their avatars to the point that they neglect their real lives, with resulting "negative health ramifications."

Microsoft's plan to address those drawbacks is a simple one: Turn avatars into the same sedentary fat-asses as the users themselves. Using information gleaned from a number of sources ranging from health records to data taken directly from the user via connected sensors, a person's avatar would reflect his or her real physical characteristics, good and bad, for the whole world to see.

"An undesirable body weight could be reflected in an overweight or underweight appearance for the avatar. An unhealthy condition could be reflected in an unhealthy pallor, posture, etc.," the application says. "The performance parameters for the avatar are adjusted to reflect health, such as speed, strength, agility, visual acuity, etc... These measures could be replicated on a health indicator gadget, such as a SPOT watch, so that the individual or others can gauge a health level. For example, a dedicated gamer could exercise for a period of time until his health indicator gadget shows a sufficiently high health/health credit in order to allow reentering the avatar environment."

My initial reaction to this news was one of shock and horror. After I thought about it for awhile, I noticed my shock and horror wasn't going away. Presenting ourselves to the world as we really are? That's crazy talk! I also can't help but think that this sounds more than a little like the Wii Vitality Sensor [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/93093-Nintendo-President-Defends-Wii-Vitality-Sensor]; is it possible that Microsoft has taken a bigger chug of the Nintendo Kool-Aid than we thought?

via: Slashdot [http://games.slashdot.org/story/09/12/18/1649253/Microsoft-Seeks-Patent-On-Shaming-Fat-Gamers]

laryri

May 19, 2008
The only people who will benefit are hackers trying to pick up chicks.

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
I saw this over on /. - the folks there were having a field day with it, heh!

Now me, I'm left wondering just what online environment they are proposing to create with that sort of technology, and whether titles like Wii Fit and their avatars that adjust based on your (reported) weight and the like would qualify as prior art and make the whole shebang pointless.

The really worrying bit is the part about involuntary collection of data, and how they think they'll be going about doing that.

Broady Brio

Jun 28, 2009
Doesn't matter too much seeing as they will probaley lack the correct options to make it atucally you.

And what if, you are atcually the 10%?

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
So microsoft's 2010 shedule:
-get DirectX 11 working on the PC
-add a useless gimmick to the xbox
-market the hell out of the latter but completely ignore the first
-whine about piracy

The DSM

Apr 18, 2009
WHY ?!?!?

I didnt know people even cared about avatars anymore, I thought they where there to put that 200 MS points left over from a DLC to some use.

Really they seem to be using a point less innovation that will never be used more than once.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Considering the invasiveness of this, I don't see it really going very far. Chalk up another dumbass idea Microsoft.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Which would you rather be represented as online?

1) An optimised version of what you would like to look like
2) An accurate version of what you actually look like in reality.
3) Something else entirely like an Orc, a Dragon, an Elf or some other craziness.

If you picked 2), it's a pretty good guess to say that you're lying out of your arse.

Microsoft can patent it all they want. My prediction is that this product bombs and bombs hard.

DragonsAteMyMarbles

You matter in this world. Smile!
Feb 22, 2009
Crap. Now I have to work out and eat green stuff.
Or defy the Microsoft behemoth and stick with the "classic" avatar - but most definitely in a "stickin' it to the man" way. Nothing to do with laziness. At all. Honest.

Izerous

Dec 15, 2008
I'll echo the interesting statement however stuff like that would be easy to fake.

"Step on this scale to see how overweight your avatar is". Someone who is 300lbs is only going to put one foot on it.

And the thing about the Nintendo Kool-Aid, I think someone swapped it on Microsoft with a spiked dose of delusion.

j0z

Apr 23, 2009
Sorry, but I would never consider it, and if it was required, then more than likely I would avoid whatever requires it, and if that means moving to Linux (*shudders*) and avoiding the internet altogether, so be it.

Batfred

Nov 11, 2009
Amnestic said:
Which would you rather be represented as online?

1) An optimised version of what you would like to look like
2) An accurate version of what you actually look like in reality.
3) Something else entirely like an Orc, a Dragon, an Elf or some other craziness.

If you picked 2), it's a pretty good guess to say that you're lying out of your arse.

Microsoft can patent it all they want. My prediction is that this product bombs and bombs hard.
I'm the evil monkey from Family Guy. I'll choose 3 please.

This sounds as popular as the ID cards in the UK that they have been threatening to introduce for the past 8 years. It will probably be as successful aswell.

BillyShakes

Oct 29, 2009
Good thing this is only for the Xbox. (I hope)
Better thing is that I don't have Live on my Xbox.

lwm3398

Apr 15, 2009
Really? What, is Natal gonna take a picture of me then show it to the world? The ammount of 10 year olds on it would get pissed. Plus, how would it base my speed off of weight? The idea is just one flaw after another, stupid, and difficult to accomplish. Couldn't I just select the workout option and stuff my face? Yes. So, this would be impossible to do.

hansari

May 31, 2009
laryri said:
The only people who will benefit are hackers trying to pick up chicks.
Uh, the girl gamers I know don't exactly play in the hopes of meeting someone special.

This is the Xbox we are talking about, not Eharmony.

Likewise, it isn't Facebook...so people are probably gonna be more upset by this change then happy.

SaintWaldo

Interzone Vagabond
Jun 10, 2008
"information gleaned from a number of sources ranging from health records to data taken directly from the user via connected sensors"

This strikes me as prototypical Microsoft: invent an interface that no one wants that enables _MS_ to access information the user never should want to give.

I'm almost positive this isn't intended for consoles, but is instead meant for tele-presence. The medical data requirement should be the biggest marker for that. Still, even in the corporate world, I do NOT want to sign over access to any portion of my medical history just so software can attempt to recreate a set of functions that a SIMPLE WEBCAM performs already.

JusticarPhaeton

Jul 29, 2009
SaintWaldo said:
"information gleaned from a number of sources ranging from health records to data taken directly from the user via connected sensors"

This strikes me as prototypical Microsoft: invent an interface that no one wants that enables _MS_ to access information the user never should want to give.

I'm almost positive this isn't intended for consoles, but is instead meant for tele-presence. The medical data requirement should be the biggest marker for that. Still, even in the corporate world, I do NOT want to sign over access to any portion of my medical history just so software can attempt to recreate a set of functions that a SIMPLE WEBCAM performs already.
Precisely. The whole idea of a service collecting medical records and personal information to piece together a virtual representation of yourself sounds a bit too orwellian, and that much sensitive info in one place makes security a very problematic issue, nevermind the fact that the people who want an accurate virtual avatar, you know, upload a picture of themselves?

paragon1

Dec 8, 2008
You know, I bet they won't even try to develop this idea. Microsoft just wants to be the only company to potentially profit from an evil idea.

ctrl-alt-postal

Nov 16, 2009
PAPERCLIP:

"Your posture indicates that you might be in pain. Do you need assistance? Have you tried the latest range of panadine forte?"

"Your face has been matched to a possible robbery in your neighboorhood. A police officer will be arriving shortly. If you leave the premises before this time, charges will be laid."