Microsoft Bashes Blu-Ray

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
OK. I'm a fan of digital distribution, but do I really want to have MGS4, which must be about 10,000Gb with all those cutscenes and 5.1 surround CODEC conversations, to download. It would take forever.

L34dP1LL

Mar 6, 2010
I think that they should start working on using USB thumbdrives as a replacement for DVDs, they're much more durable, and you dont have to worry about scratching it. Not to mention the amount of storage that you an fit in one.

poiuppx

Nov 17, 2009
Aw, how cute. They think the 66% of games bought in physical medium are immaterial. That's so adorable!

tahrey

Sep 18, 2009
Mikeyfell:
I'll swap you all the movies we collectively have mirror versions of, then. My VCDs and VHSes for your DVDs.

... no, didn't think you'd go for it. Tard.

Though I'm happy with SD on my 32" screen, anything much beyond 40" at normal viewing distances really does start to demand HD because... well, it just looks rough. It's about as pressing as the VCD-DVD jump on a 14-19" display, or VHS-DVD on a 21-28" one. There's a certain minimum per-inch resolution beyond which moving images take on a bit of an impressionist feeling. Which is why good upscalers do more than just line-double, but employ clever interpolation and de-interlacing techniques.

It's also, say, the difference between running your PC games at standard VGA vs WSXGA or the like (or given the relative distances and sizes, SVGA with a 3dfx vs the hybrid VESA-abusing 2D-card 400x300 option you used to get on things like Quake).

Quad HD is taking the piss a bit, as you're then starting to hit the limits of what the eye can resolve with it's view field filled anyway (think iPhone retina-screen) but it may give a useful boost for wall-filling displays. Beyond that probably isn't worth the effort. Imax and the like have topped out at 4000x2000-ish for quite a while now. Can you see the pixels when watching Avatar or Toy Story on that office-block-sized screen?

Plus - though I obviously don't have 1st hand experience - Blu-ray allegedly offers more upgrades over DVD than just the resolution. Better frame rates, better compression quality, better dynamic range, better surround-sound audio, 3D capability built in, java-based interactive features rather than the pretty limited and somewhat unreliable AV-track-and-2bit-pixelated-overlay (with like - literally - 8 bytes of RAM) based ones DVD provided.
I'm not sold that I'd get my money's worth from it, particularly as I have a lot of DVDs to replace, but if I was starting from scratch with a large 1080p screen, I'd certainly invest.

Apr 28, 2008
Screw digital distribution. It takes me days and sometimes weeks to download a game. And there's no way in hell I can stream a film without it buffering every 3 seconds.

Dendio

Mar 24, 2010
If they'd just mail me the manual a few days after a digital purpose i'd be set. Something about acquiring the instruction booklet along with the game makes the buy feel more complete

Tom Phoenix

Mar 28, 2009
10BIT said:
Logan Westbrook said:
Surveys [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101864-2-in-3-Gamers-Prefer-Discs-to-Downloads-Says-Survey] have shown that most gamers prefer a physical copy of a game over a digital one, and that attitude will be slow to change.
Yet statistics [http://www.networkworld.com/news/2010/092010-pc-game-digital-downloads-dramatically.html] show that more gamers buy digital downloads than their retail counterparts.
I hate to rain on your parade, but those statistics only apply for the PC platform. Even then, they only represent the state of PC gaming in the US, where retail stores provide very little space for PC games (if at all) . They do not account for Europe, for example, where PC retail is still very much alive.

Anyway, to be honest, I think Microsoft is just bitter they bet on the losing horse. While digital distribution is on the rise and has it's advantages, it also has some major drawbacks. Plus, people are used to physical media and buying things from stores, since that is generally how they obtain most other goods as well. Honestly, I wouldn't be suprised if the future isn't as "all digital" as some people are implying and that retail copies will live on in some form or another.

With that mind, this statement doesn't bode well for Microsofr...particularly their claim that sticking to DVD was a "good decision". While it may have cost less than Blue-Ray, many developers have been upset with the limitations of the storage media on the Xbox 360. It doesn't help that they have a lot of problems with Microsoft itself even on the digital distribution front. If they keep this up, Microsoft's future in the console gaming business doesn't look very good at all.

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
if Blu Ray isn't relevant than surely trying to compete with it with a similar format wasn't a good move?

Personally speaking I prefer discs to digital distribution as I like games taking up as little space on my harddrive as possible so that I can get more games, the only reason I'm not unhappy with the go is that I don't buy psp games often enough for it to be an issue.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008

Digital Distribution wha?

[sup]This is coming from a Sony fanboy[/sup]

I'll drop this here to [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.207475-2-in-3-Gamers-Prefer-Discs-to-Downloads-Says-Survey], just do a google search and you'll find dozens of articles like this. Not everyone has a proper internet connection to download MB or GB of data, some people still like the new game smell.

Digital Distribution will never completely take over Physical Media, they can only compliment each other. The more space a disc can hold, the more you can fit in your game, and thus more data space is needed. When bigger and bigger games come along, I doubt people are going to be open about downloading 10GB+, and having a consistent internet connection just to play it.

I thought we were past this part in history? Before, everyone was all "Oh man, why would you need all that space in Blu-Ray! It's so expensive! It's pointless! Graphics aren't getting any better!" and all that crap. Seriously, why bring up a years old pointless argument? Haven't those wounds healed yet? Guess not.

TurtleBay

Sep 22, 2010
It would be interesting if Microsoft used HD-DVD instead of Blu-Ray for their next gen console.

Think about it:

- Much more space than DVD(8.5 GB --> 30 GB, ~ single layer Blu-Ray)
- Don't have to pay their primary competitor Sony for the Blu-Ray licenses
- Machines are sitting idle that can make these things, no new tech to invent
- Because HD-DVD has gone the way of the dodo, pirates will have trouble burning disk images (burners and media are extremely rare)

brewbeard

Nov 29, 2007
This from a company that sells a 120 GB hard drive for $83.00 and had to be fanspammed into unlocking USB memory sticks.

RadiusXd

Jun 2, 2010
when microsoft pays to upgrade my exchange and then pays my internet bills, then i shall download blu-ray quality movies.

VanityGirl

Apr 29, 2009
I don't agree with what Microsoft says at all. Digital distribution is great for some things, but I love hard copies of AAA title games. I like having a nice little game collection to show off on my wall.

Meh.

RadiusXd

Jun 2, 2010
Tankichi said:
Until everyone has fiber optic cables and can download like a gig a minute Blu-Ray will be a understandable format. Blur-Rays are obsolete. Just because the Xbox can't play em doesn't mean they are obsolete. Some people like having physical copies of the Movie in their house.
you shall not touch my collection!
*huddles in corner with pile of dvds*

RadiusXd

Jun 2, 2010
Tom Phoenix said:
10BIT said:
Logan Westbrook said:
Surveys [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101864-2-in-3-Gamers-Prefer-Discs-to-Downloads-Says-Survey] have shown that most gamers prefer a physical copy of a game over a digital one, and that attitude will be slow to change.
Yet statistics [http://www.networkworld.com/news/2010/092010-pc-game-digital-downloads-dramatically.html] show that more gamers buy digital downloads than their retail counterparts.
I hate to rain on your parade, but those statistics only apply for the PC platform. Even then, they only represent the state of PC gaming in the US, where retail stores provide very little space for PC games (if at all) . They do not account for Europe, for example, where PC retail is still very much alive.

Anyway, to be honest, I think Microsoft is just bitter they bet on the losing horse. While digital distribution is on the rise and has it's advantages, it also has some major drawbacks. Plus, people are used to physical media and buying things from stores, since that is generally how they obtain most other goods as well. Honestly, I wouldn't be suprised if the future isn't as "all digital" as some people are implying and that retail copies will live on in some form or another.

With that mind, this statement doesn't bode well for Microsofr...particularly their claim that sticking to DVD was a "good decision". While it may have cost less than Blue-Ray, many developers have been upset with the limitations of the storage media on the Xbox 360. It doesn't help that they have a lot of problems with Microsoft itself even on the digital distribution front. If they keep this up, Microsoft's future in the console gaming business doesn't look very good at all.
also the US has internet that blows mine out of sight, seriously, its like when team rocket blast off again, thats what my internet looks like.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
eh, the DVD isn't too small....yet.

I could agree with Stephen McGill however why wont MS embrace Steam if Digital distribution is the next step? Seems rather hypocritical to me.
TurtleBay said:
- Because HD-DVD has gone the way of the dodo, pirates will have trouble burning disk images (burners and media are extremely rare)
rather one dimensional.

once Blue-ray becomes very common, the drivers and the discs will cost less so really your point is heavily flawed
- Machines are sitting idle that can make these things, no new tech to invent
what?