Microsoft Charts Deem Kinect Cheapest Versus Competitors

kissfan76

Jul 21, 2010
SlainPwner666 really the kinect has SOCOM to play ummmm last time I checked that was a Sony licensed game so I doubt it will debut on the 360.

As for pricing seriously people Kinect is cheaper to start with? ok heres a break down for you. If you aleady have a system

PS move Bundle (PS move, Camera, Games and a demo disc) 100.

Kinect (Camera and a game) 150.00

PS Move bundle (PS Move, camera, games, demo disc) + Nav controller (not really needed) 130.00

Now lets figure in someone who already has a PS3eye and a console

PS3 = 2 move controllers (100.00), 2 Nav controllers (which arent needed) $60 = 160.00 for 1:1 precision which was confirmed at E3

360 Camera 150. lag.

Nova5

Interceptor
Sep 5, 2009
Until we see who has the better games, all this motion-sensitive-platform cock-waving competition is pointless.

The console wars are over. The PS3 and 360 are both the same price, both have Wi-Fi, share many of the same great titles, and both come stock with 250Gb HDDs (talking about new hardware here). The Wii is a largely casual gamer console by Nintendo's own admission and much of it's fanbase's acknowledgment, and that's great - it has its place that it has settled into quite nicely.

This is the last Kinect/Move story I'm going to bother reading until they're launched. Wake me up when they finally announce the PS4 or XBOX 1080.

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
But they have to take into account that if you are a new player on the Xbox and want to play some online,then you have to fork over some moolah.

And I like having something in my hands while I game.NOT A SEXUAL JOKE!.Like some sort of controller,so that Kinect,Natal,thing has no reason to be in my household.

Chameliondude

Jul 21, 2009
The one think i think that will fail here is that kinect is only 2 player, thats it, so anyone with more than one friend, even if they own another kinnect camera themselves cannot all play at once on the same system, so for 4 players to play in the same house, you are looking at double the price listed here for another console, kinnect plus tv.

The wii limitation is 4, so same price but friends could bring own controllers

Not sure on move, i no ive got 7 controllers at once on my ps3, so i assume 7 or 8 regular controllers, but i would assume it is only 4 moves, again which friends could bring

But to be honest none of this really matters unless they have good games, wii obviously has this sorted, sony has promised some backwards combatibles and stuff like socom and killzone 3, so microsoft, its up to you not to screw it up i suppose before you can justify a buy on any grounds

Gamegodtre

Aug 24, 2009
edgeofblade said:
Gamegodtre said:
edgeofblade said:
Gamegodtre said:
edgeofblade said:
ZeroMachine said:
A... 4GB... hardrive...

I'm sorry, I can't hear Microsoft here in the generation where you wouldn't even be able to install your games (something praised by Microsoft with the newer XBoxes). Seriously, that comparison becomes bull once you look at that bundle.

But whatever. All I know is that I won't even be looking at getting Kinect until some better looking games are announced.
If you look at the fact that Microsoft streams videos without using storage space; lets you redownload all your licensed content, including video (which Sony does not); and doesn't force you to install games... it makes a lot more sense. But I would still struggle to get by on 4GB. I'd just pop in one of the 20 usb sticks and be done with it.
i have a 20 gig and it hard for me to get by unlike my terabyte ps3 which is half full
And I thought I was a packrat.

Wait...I am. When it comes to game data, I don't use my PS3 as much as my 360. My PS3 is rocking a stock 60GB, and my 360 is on a 120, and none of that is non-game media. In terms of media, I have a grand total of 3.3 terabytes networked in my house, 1TB of which is on a redundant NAS drive, another TB connected to my PC running Windows Media Center, and the last 1.3 TB shared from individual computers around the house.

I'm so geeky about my network that I have scheduled downtime (thanks to a plug timer) to make the router reset nightly and clear out weird conditions that could cause issues during the day. (I'll be honest, as an experiment, it didn't work all that well.)

The point is... with all that availability, I have no need for huge drives on my consoles, unless it feeds directly into game playing, either game saves, DLC, or full games. Do you really have all that much game related content, or is that mostly videos?
about 50 installs of the games i own, i download all arcade games on PS3(about 30 titles), and i bought about 15 PS1 games on the PS3, as well as the PSP games i bought hat are download exclusive(keep them on the PS3 just in case) i download the free tv shows as well as buy some episodes, then there are add ons, themes, and i also have a PS3 japan account so i get the demos and free games from the ones they have. the installs range from 1 - 5 gigs alone and i didn't include the ones for rentals via Gamefly then the number of installs goes to 90+.
there is a reason why i got this nickname.
As that lady on Til Debt Do Us Part says: "God love a duck". I guess that you're justified if that's the way you consume content.
i'm not in debt tho :)

Mako SOLDIER

Dec 13, 2008
Irridium said:
Well these charts are totally not biased in any way.

You don't need Wii Fit to enjoy the Wii. So take that out of the picture and all of a sudden the Wii is the cheapest of them all.
Well, no, you don't need it, but it is neccessary in order to get the same kind of functionality. Let's just say you have a Wii and want to buy Wii-Fit. You would need the board. If you have Kinect and want to buy Your Shape: Fitness Evolved (which I do) then you don't have to buy anything else and it works out cheaper.

Mako SOLDIER

Dec 13, 2008
Mornelithe said:
Hmm, but what about 4-player? Oh wait...

http://gamasutra.com/view/news/29195/Kinect_Specs_Show_TwoPlayer_Limitation.php

EDIT: By the way, the Move bundle comes with a DS3 controller. So, you don't need the navigator, nor does the $55 for a new DS3 figure into the equation.
Oh for crying out loud. How many times to people need to be told that those were not official specs. It's so annoying, like all the people who still keep claiming that Kinect can't be used sitting down.

Apr 28, 2008
Mako SOLDIER said:
Irridium said:

You don't need Wii Fit to enjoy the Wii. So take that out of the picture and all of a sudden the Wii is the cheapest of them all.
Well, no, you don't need it, but it is neccessary in order to get the same kind of functionality. Let's just say you have a Wii and want to buy Wii-Fit. You would need the board. If you have Kinect and want to buy Your Shape: Fitness Evolved (which I do) then you don't have to buy anything else and it works out cheaper.
I was actually talking more about the sports stuff. Although with Wii Sports, which comes with the Wii, and Wii Sports Resort, you already get a large chunk of what Kinect offers.

I guess if you want more of the exercise stuff you'd see things differently though.

Mako SOLDIER

Dec 13, 2008
boholikeu said:
Convincing press releases aside $150 still "looks" expensive for what you are getting. Most of us were expecting Kinect to be about $100.
It's technically sub $100. You're getting a full priced game bundled with it. What's that, about $60 worth? I'm in the UK so I'm not quite sure. All I know is that at about £120 minus the £40 for the game, Kinect is pretty reasonably priced IMO.

Mako SOLDIER

Dec 13, 2008
Irridium said:
Mako SOLDIER said:
Irridium said:

I was actually talking more about the sports stuff. Although with Wii Sports, which comes with the Wii, and Wii Sports Resort, you already get a large chunk of what Kinect offers.

I guess if you want more of the exercise stuff you'd see things differently though.
Well, yes and no. The thing is, there are a lot of games now that don't require the balance board but do include it as an option. Plus, from my experience with the Wii Motion Plus, it needs recalibrating literally every ten minutes or so and really doesn't work as well as it should. Obviously Kinect won't require recalibrating, so there's an annoyance factor removed. Plus, lets not forget full facial and voice recognition. You're getting significantly more for your money than a Wii with or without the balance board.

I'm particularly excited about the voice and facial expression recognition. Sure, it's a bit creepy, but the things being done with Milo and Kate are very exciting indeed. I have no real desire to converse with a virtual child, but with the AI developed for that there are suddenly incredible possibilities opened up for NPC interaction in RPGs etc. And not a flailing limb in sight. This is why I see Kinect as a worthwhile investment. Not for the party games (although Kinect Adventures does look like fun. Throwaway, but still, I love the theme park style action photos it takes mid way through stuff, it's really a nice touch), but for the things that will be possible with it in the future. With Molyneux having been promoted to Creative Director of MS Game Studios, there's very little chance that nobody will attempt to innovate using Kinect. Of course there will be failures along the way, but with a bit of luck they will be interesting and unique ones.

But yeah, out of the launch line up, I'm in it for the fitness. Well, that and the ability to learn Tai Chi patterns without paying £8 a week for the privilege of an instructor. It practically pays me to buy it in that sense. Of course I would need an instructor after I've learnt the basic form (it is a martial art after all, although far too many people don't realise that), but it can take up to a year to reach that level, if not longer. That's a lot of £8 payments saved right there (4 weeks (on average) x 12 months x £8 = £384. £384 - Kinect at £120 and Your Shape at £40 = £224 saved, and I get Kinect Adventures for a bit of casual social fun + voice and gesture control of films etc, both essentially as a happy bonus). Enough to justify the cost of Kinect really. The other games are a bonus. If I lose some weight too, then that'd also be good (the playtesters for Your Shape apparently lost a shedload of weight, perhaps an unhealthy amount actually).

Apr 28, 2008
Mako SOLDIER said:
Irridium said:
Mako SOLDIER said:
Irridium said:

Well, yes and no. The thing is, there are a lot of games now that don't require the balance board but do include it as an option. Plus, from my experience with the Wii Motion Plus, it needs recalibrating literally every ten minutes or so and really doesn't work as well as it should. Obviously Kinect won't require recalibrating, so there's an annoyance factor removed. Plus, lets not forget full facial and voice recognition. You're getting significantly more for your money than a Wii with or without the balance board.

I'm particularly excited about the voice and facial expression recognition. Sure, it's a bit creepy, but the things being done with Milo and Kate are very exciting indeed. I have no real desire to converse with a virtual child, but with the AI developed for that there are suddenly incredible possibilities opened up for NPC interaction in RPGs etc. And not a flailing limb in sight. This is why I see Kinect as a worthwhile investment. Not for the party games (although Kinect Adventures does look like fun. Throwaway, but still, I love the theme park style action photos it takes mid way through stuff, it's really a nice touch), but for the things that will be possible with it in the future. With Molyneux having been promoted to Creative Director of MS Game Studios, there's very little chance that nobody will attempt to innovate using Kinect. Of course there will be failures along the way, but with a bit of luck they will be interesting and unique ones.

But yeah, out of the launch line up, I'm in it for the fitness. Well, that and the ability to learn Tai Chi patterns without paying £8 a week for the privilege of an instructor. It practically pays me to buy it in that sense. Of course I would need an instructor after I've learnt the basic form (it is a martial art after all, although far too many people don't realise that), but it can take up to a year to reach that level, if not longer. That's a lot of £8 payments saved right there (4 weeks (on average) x 12 months x £8 = £384. £384 - Kinect at £120 and Your Shape at £40 = £224 saved, and I get Kinect Adventures for a bit of casual social fun + voice and gesture control of films etc, both essentially as a happy bonus). Enough to justify the cost of Kinect really. The other games are a bonus. If I lose some weight too, then that'd also be good (the playtesters for Your Shape apparently lost a shedload of weight, perhaps an unhealthy amount actually).
Huh, interesting. Never looked at it that way. I guess it could serve as a better fitness investment compared to getting instructors and such. And I agree about what Milo and Kate could bring in. The possibilities are fantastic. However I think I'll wait until something like it takes shape. As of what I'm seeing right now, it has nothing I personally want.

Vankraken

Mar 30, 2010
versoth said:
Vankraken said:
The truth is that for casuals 1 console is enough so why buy a new console if you can spend that $300 on more Wii games like mario, DK, zelda, kirby, etc which are actually GOOD GAMES.
If your more hardcore then you want better games then the kinect lineup which is very much shovelware crap. The move does have some hardcore style games like socom and you can use buttons with the move unlike kinect.
I love how they throw in the Wii fit board to jack up the Nintendo price comparison.
I can see youre a Wii fan, so let me give you this advice.

Shut the fuck up about "shovelware crap" when youre standing in the Wii corner.
Actually i pref PS3 (out of the three systems) and don't own a Wii but the point is that the entire Kinect lineup is shovelware. At least the Wii has some decent games on it for people who like something with more substance than mini games.
Ultimately the problem with the Kinect is that you can't do serious games with it because you can't utilize the Kinect and have button controls at the same time unless they come up with some Kinect mote.

Also its outstanding form to belittle my post with random QQ hatred because you assume I'm some Wii fanboy. Im a PC gamer at heart and never plan on owning any motion control system. Ill stick with keyboard+mouse or controller any day.

Mercury Knight

Jul 25, 2008
So, many have pointed out the Balance Board isn't necessary for the Wii. Valid point.

Let me counter this point. They are talking about the full range of motion experience you get with Kinect, I would assume. Even then the Balance Board will not simulate it as well as Kinect, since it can fully see your whole body and not just feel the pressure applied by your body weight. You need it for any multiplayer games that might potentially use it. (I have no idea if any multiplayer wii games exist that do however. I stopped at the MotionPlus and a couple Classic Controllers as far as accesorizing.)

Now I bring that point up so I can counter it with an even better one. MicroSoft is selling multiplayer here. As is obvious buy the 'second controller' malarky. So here's a thought. If any Wii games that DO need the balance board exist (I've never heard of one) then you will need TWO of them, not one. One for each player, silly MicroSoft.

So alternately, whether there are Balance Board MP games or not determines if MicroSoft is A) Spouting more bs since the BB cannot be used in multiplayer or B) Are stupid and missed a chance to tack an additional $100 onto the Wii's pricepoint, thus proving their lack of any sort of basic logic skills.

But then this chart already demonstrated that last point, huh? I guess my point is, they couldn't even do their bad math correctly. Geez, guys. You are not good at this 'lying' stuff. Hire a lawyer or something.

Or better yet, someone from Sony.

Mako SOLDIER

Dec 13, 2008
Mornelithe said:
Mako SOLDIER said:
Mornelithe said:
Hmm, but what about 4-player? Oh wait...

http://gamasutra.com/view/news/29195/Kinect_Specs_Show_TwoPlayer_Limitation.php

EDIT: By the way, the Move bundle comes with a DS3 controller. So, you don't need the navigator, nor does the $55 for a new DS3 figure into the equation.
Oh for crying out loud. How many times to people need to be told that those were not official specs. It's so annoying, like all the people who still keep claiming that Kinect can't be used sitting down.
Yeah, leaks NEVER happen!
Let me respond with the same level of thought:

Yeah, news sources are ALWAYS trustworthy!

We don't know that those specs are real, and we don't know what they would actually mean in any real terms.

Mako SOLDIER

Dec 13, 2008
Irridium said:
Mako SOLDIER said:
Huh, interesting. Never looked at it that way. I guess it could serve as a better fitness investment compared to getting instructors and such. And I agree about what Milo and Kate could bring in. The possibilities are fantastic. However I think I'll wait until something like it takes shape. As of what I'm seeing right now, it has nothing I personally want.
Lol, waiting is probably the more sensible thing to do. Sadly, I'm one of those people that gets overly excited before something is released and then can't wait once it's out. Well, provided I can actually afford something that is. Gonna have to start saving now if I'm going to be ready for Kinect :D

Xersues

DRM-free or give me death!
Dec 11, 2009
Wow what a load of shit. They don't mention that the 360 slim doesn't even come WITH a normal controller does it?

The PS3 is a bluray player, 120gb HD, and comes with 1 controller. They're assuming people aren't going to want to use this thing for nothing but a casual waggle your arms fest? Really?

Holy shit what has this world come to.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Tom Goldman said:
(Microsoft includes two sub-controllers in their comparison)
Interestingly you don't actually NEED the sub-controller, any Playstation 3 controller will do. In fact, considering PS3 supports any PC-style gamepad to be plugged in via USB I think we should expect a competitively priced market for sub-controllers/left-side-Six-axis.

See if you have a PS3 already ALL you need is the $50 Move controller, you can just use your old dual-shock-3/six-axis controller if it requires an analogue stick to look around. The much lighter six-axis is ideal for this (thank god I never got rid of mine) as you don't even have to support it, it is easy to use one-handed. maybe tape some coins to the far left side to act as a counterweight...

Though I wonder how many games will actually benefit from a PAIR of Move-controllers? The archery one seems to need both. I have my own theories on a single move-controller's limitations in point-aiming (extrapolation, extra data processing, etc)

Anyway, just remember, only shell out on a Move Sub-controller if you REALLY find it unbearable to just use a plain old controller one-handed.