Microsoft Confirms It Won't Reward Early Xbox One Adopters

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
IceForce said:
Drinking game for this thread: Take a shot every time someone says the word "entitlement".
ENTITLEMENT!
ENTITLEMENT!
ENTITLEMENT!
ENTITLEMENT!
ENTITLEMENT!
They're not gonna enjoy my post!

OT: This isn't even remotely surprising. I honestly would have been shocked if they'd rewarded early adopters. It does suck for them though, seeing as I bet the majority of early adopters would have bought their xbone without Kinect if they were given the choice.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
FoolKiller said:
BrotherRool said:
You don't get refunds when games go on discount on Steam. No-one repays you when the price of a car drops after it's launch years. Fatty PS3 owners didn't get money when a slim was released

And in those cases it's the same product that's cheaper. If you didn't want to own a Kinect at launch, why did you buy an xbox?
1. Fatty launch PS3s are actually still worth more as they can still do more.
2. While I always believe in waiting to buy the hardware, I do feel a bit bad for the early adopters. Microsoft forced a Kinect as an integral part and that it wouldn't abandon it. I feel bad for anyone wasting a hundred dollars because MS lied.
Only the first edition 60GB PS3s in the USA. Every other one is the same (unless someone has prevented it from software updating. It which case it can't play a lot of games).

Microsoft didn't lie (except for the 'this is an unremovable feature') and buying any piece of tech new requires a bit of risk if it doesn't take off. Whatsmore the voice control on the Kinect is still worthwhile. You should really only ever buy a console for a price if you're happy with it's features and it's pricepoint, in which case you don't need a refund now. If Microsoft were disabling Kinect capability it might be a bit different.

I feel sorry for people who bought something and had it fail on them, or ultimately didn't turn out the way it hoped, but this situation is a lot more about people taking a deal they were happy with and then being annoyed that other people got a better deal. This was a relatively early price cut for a console wars, but it's not like it's surprising that it's more expensive to be a first adopter (and even then Kinect users factually have a more feature rich console too. The UI stuff is actually pretty good apparently)

It's not the same level of burn as Nintendo's 'we are going to try and support core-gamers' with the Wii and the Wii U. It really must suck if you bought a Wii U on the hope it would get 3rd party support :(

NoeL

May 14, 2011
You know what... I'm actually going to go completely against everyone else in this thread.

It's NOT the same as buying something, seeing it on sale 6 months later, then demanding the difference. It is NOT the same product.

The truth of the matter is that the early adopters were LIED to. They were told that the Kinect is integral to the system, implying that a Kinect-less version of the Xbone will never be available. For the early adopters that didn't want the Kinect (which it seems would be a sizable chunk, if not the majority), paying extra was the ONLY way to get an Xbone. I would imagine that some of those early adopters would have chosen to wait the mere 6 months to get the cheaper, Kinect-less bundle, but because they were LIED to - because they were told such a thing WOULD NEVER EXIST - they sucked it up.

So yes, I DO think Microsoft has an obligation to compensate those that were affected as a direct result of their LIES.

solemnwar

Sep 19, 2010
NoeL said:
You know what... I'm actually going to go completely against everyone else in this thread.

It's NOT the same as buying something, seeing it on sale 6 months later, then demanding the difference. It is NOT the same product.

The truth of the matter is that the early adopters were LIED to. They were told that the Kinect is integral to the system, implying that a Kinect-less version of the Xbone will never be available. For the early adopters that didn't want the Kinect (which it seems would be a sizable chunk, if not the majority), paying extra was the ONLY way to get an Xbone. I would imagine that some of those early adopters would have chosen to wait the mere 6 months to get the cheaper, Kinect-less bundle, but because they were LIED to - because they were told such a thing WOULD NEVER EXIST - they sucked it up.

So yes, I DO think Microsoft has an obligation to compensate those that were affected as a direct result of their LIES.
Except they didn't lie? At the time, Microsoft had no intention of ever removing the Kinect. The only reason they are doing so NOW is probably because their sales are so poor they are doing everything they can to boost them. The situation has changed. It happens all the time. It sucks, but it happens. But they didn't lie.

NoeL

May 14, 2011
solemnwar said:
Except they didn't lie? At the time, Microsoft had no intention of ever removing the Kinect. The only reason they are doing so NOW is probably because their sales are so poor they are doing everything they can to boost them. The situation has changed. It happens all the time. It sucks, but it happens. But they didn't lie.
From http://news.xbox.com/2013/05/qa
Q: Why require Kinect with every Xbox One?
A: The all new Kinect is now an essential and integrated part of the platform. By having it as a consistent part of every Xbox One, game and entertainment creators can build experiences that assume the availability of voice, gesture and natural sensing, leading to unrivaled ease of use, premium experiences and interactivity for you.
(emphasis added)

Seems like a lie to me.

solemnwar

Sep 19, 2010
NoeL said:
solemnwar said:
From http://news.xbox.com/2013/05/qa
Q: Why require Kinect with every Xbox One?
A: The all new Kinect is now an essential and integrated part of the platform. By having it as a consistent part of every Xbox One, game and entertainment creators can build experiences that assume the availability of voice, gesture and natural sensing, leading to unrivaled ease of use, premium experiences and interactivity for you.
(emphasis added)

Seems like a lie to me.
It's only a lie if, at the time, they were secretly planning to release a Kinect-free version. Like I said, at the time, they were not. The situation just changed.

If someone promises to go somewhere with you, and then are unable to because, say, they broke their leg, or one of their exams was posted to occur on that day, would you say they lied about going with you? No, because at the time, they meant it, the situation has just changed. It happens.

NoeL

May 14, 2011
solemnwar said:
It's only a lie if, at the time, they were secretly planning to release a Kinect-free version. Like I said, at the time, they were not. The situation just changed.

If someone promises to go somewhere with you, and then are unable to because, say, they broke their leg, or one of their exams was posted to occur on that day, would you say they lied about going with you? No, because at the time, they meant it, the situation has just changed. It happens.
You don't seem to understand what the words "essential" and "integrated" mean. An engine is an "essential and integrated" part of a car. A hubcap is not an "essential and integrated" part of a car. "Essential and integrated" means the system cannot function without that part, and clearly the Xbone CAN function without the Kinect if they're offering a Kinect-less bundle. Ergo, the statement that the Kinect is "an essential and integrated part of the platform" is a lie. It's a lie designed to convince the consumer the Kinect has more value than it actually does.

Nemu

In my hand I hold a key...
Oct 14, 2009
My God, people just expect handouts for everything.
When real life finally hits for these people, they are going to be in a world of hurt.

Arawn

Dec 18, 2003
I'll admit I'm in the camp of "You bought it early, you don't shouldn't expect anything" in this argument. But then comes the point someone else brought up;

NoeL said:

That pretty much was the situation for many of the first adopters. We saw the reveal, we heard the presentation, etc. Yeah they pushed the Kinect. They told everyone that it would revolutionize gaming. It was key to the system being pure awesome. So yeah while I do think the early buyers should have known the risks, they were told that Kinect and Xbox One were inseparable. There's no way it doesn't leave a bad taste in your mouth. Sure they came out with a Xbox One bundle with a game. Okay, that's bound to happen, but the removal of the Kinect is slap to those that were told otherwise.

Let's have an example; You're buying a car. After heading down to the dealership the salesman show you a snazzy car with a spoiler (the fin on the back trunk). You love the car. Great milage, nice stereo, paddle shifters, etc. But you hate the fin plus it adds another $100. That benjamin could go towards gas or a payment for said car. But he tells you that's the way the car comes and no way to get one without it. You grin and bear it. So a bit later you visit the lot and see the car sans the spoiler. The dealer tells you the bad sales resulted in them remaking the car. Okay so there you are with a car you like, but not how you'd wanted it. Still that spoiler is going to pick at the back of your mind. Didn't like it, didn't want it, and yet you got it. Quite vexing, no?

Maybe that was abit much in the way of an example, but I can understand the feeling. Anyone remember the first Gameboy Advance? Yeah I got one, and it's screen was too damn dark. They then started to sell lights for them. It was like a year later they came out with the SP. Not too long after that came the DS. I wasn't happy to say the least. Early adoption or not to see the rapid release of newer handhelds so quickly is annoying. That was over a span of a couple of years. How would I have felt if it had been over a couple of months?

Let's go back to my original stance; first day adopters get what they get. Yet when I think that it's more along the lines of glitches. Red ring of death, noisy drives, overheat problems, HD crashing. Yeah, that stuff happens since they're the first off the production line. A bad port or drive is more along the lines of what they should expect. Not having the system drop in price that quickly. So I feel for them. What I feel is the annoyance they have with MS for telling them a falsehood. Maybe those that bought in could get something, what I don't know.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
CrimsonBlack said:
That's like complaining about some item you bought and then seeing it on sale a few months later. I work for a company that does put its items on sale regularly; the amount of (quite frankly, entitled) people writing in demanding that the difference between what they paid, and what the item is now being sold for, be transferred into their bank accounts. Unbelievable.
wait, such people exist? I know i joke about PC gamings worse side being that no matter how good a deal your buying next month its going to be a better one, but people actually think they are entitled to get the discount afterwards? this is one of the rare times when "i dont wnat to live on this planet anymore" is warranted.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
I don't see why early adopters should get any reward. We know that it could drastically change quickly and chose to get it when we did. There's not much else to it.

Riff Moonraker

Mar 18, 2010
CrimsonBlack said:
Holy entitlement Batman! Early adopters are just that - they bought the console when it was first launched, do they expect to be congratulated on that?

That's like complaining about some item you bought and then seeing it on sale a few months later. I work for a company that does put its items on sale regularly; the amount of (quite frankly, entitled) people writing in demanding that the difference between what they paid, and what the item is now being sold for, be transferred into their bank accounts. Unbelievable.
Hang on, now.... you are pointing your ire at the wrong crowd. This article is the one that is even bringing this up at all. I preordered my one, and had it on day one, and I most certainly do not expect some "reward" just because I bought it with the Kinect. Personally, I am glad to see them offering the One without it, and I think it was kind of a bullshit move to force people to buy it. But do I expect something in return for my early purchase now? Absolutely not. Plus, I would imagine most folks wouldnt, either.