Microsoft Confirms Kinect for $149

Meggiepants

Not a pigeon roost
Jan 19, 2010
gregoryg said:
When pressed about the fact that Microsoft's central competition, the Nintendo Wii, is priced at only $200, Greenberg pointed out that unlike the Wii, consumers won't have to pay for extra controllers or attachments. The Kinect will recognize multiple players automatically without the need for extra controllers.
This may have already been mentioned, I only scanned the responses, but... didn't I read an article a while back that said the Kinect would only support two players?

Soooo... this argument is based on buying 1 extra controller, since $200 buys you not only the Wii game system, but 1 controller as well?

This is a very weak argument.

Low Key

May 7, 2009
They must be out of their minds. Oh wait, this is Microsoft we're talking about.

$150? No fucking way.

darrinwright

Oct 1, 2008
$150 for something to make a system you may or not have (thus making the actual cost potentially higher if you don't own a 360) behave like a system the intended audience is likely to already own?

Oh, yeah. Fantastic idea.

Niska

Jul 1, 2009
Yeeeeah not gonna buy it anymore. Sorry Microsoft but college students don't crap money.

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
coldfrog said:
If that reported 100ms delay time is still in effect, this is definitely overpriced.
Yeah, I've always wondered about that - all the real life footage of its use seems to indicate a distinctly noticeable lag between input and display, which I've always put down to the controller's lack of a dedicated processor. If it's as laggy as I think it is, games or reflex are going to be frustrating and the controller overpriced :/

Jaredin said:
And I vet it is gonna b £150 here...

Well, still not impressed to get it. Ill be keep my distance!
£150? That we should be so lucky! I'm thinking more up around the £200 mark - the exchange rate always seems inverted when it's electronic goods...

That all said, go go gadget crazy-cool controllers! It's nice to see something actually different. Here's hoping someone actually makes a good AAA game for it.

Cody211282

Apr 25, 2009
Or I could spend $200 and get a Wii, damn the marketing department screwed the pooch with this one.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
Oh, screw this. I was really looking forward to Kinect Natal, spent loads of time and effort defending it to people, especially on this site, and the technology alone has countless real-world practical applications, rather than just gaming (particularly, the various applications of the Milo program...). And what happens? Microsoft screw us all over with this.

There is no way I can afford that, without a job and with my student loan having to go on, you know, being able to survive for a year. Screw you Microsoft, I've always defended you and had nothing but good experiences through you, but if you're going to be your usual greedy selves with this then why the hell should Natal be successful? You guys have shot yourselves in the foot, current Xbox 360 owners won't buy it at that price and non-Xbox owners aren't going to buy it when the Wii is already out, bigger, and cheaper. Despite everything that has gone before, Natal will fail now just because of this one stupid and greedy act. It had such potential too... :(

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
arc1991 said:
Simalacrum said:
I was thinking "huh, the $299 bundle isn't actually too bad at all!" Until I saw the lack of hard drive...

Really? 4 GB? They think that that, plus 32 GB on a usb will be enough for ANYBODY in this day and age? Such a lack of storage should be a thing of the past, to be honest...

As for the price, this isn't exactly unexpected, but its a hard blow for Microsoft... I certainly wouldn't get it, even if I had a 360.
Don't the old hard drives work =O
Not with the new 'slim' 360's, I'm afraid, no, they now have a more compact hard drive located on the bottom of the console, which, unfortunately, cannot be bought separately as of yet.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
I hate to jump on "hate-bandwagons", but yes, $150 is way too much for what is supposedly only going to support 2 active players at a time [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.205964-Speculative-Specifications-Suggest-Two-Player-Kinect-Cap]. And that is a pitiful excuse for an even pitiful-er 4GB of storage, hell all PS3's, including slim, have at least 120GB!

I hate to jump on the hate-bandwagon, Sony gets crap like this too and being the all-powerful fanboy I am I can be guilty of defending them when they get shit slung at them. But really, this just reads "bad news" for Kinect all over it. They just have no idea what direction there going with it, first they say "It's not for 'core' gamers" [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.204178-Microsoft-Kinect-Not-For-Core-Gamers] and then they say "Hardcore will buy it first" [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.205366-Hardcore-Will-Adopt-Kinect-First-Says-Microsoft] (with a picture of the least-hardcore game shown no less) and now they're going "The casual gamers will prefer us over the Wii!" They're grabbing for a market that's already been grabbed, trying to scramble for the remains. Hell, at least Sony is going for Move support on more "core" games (Heavy Rain, Killzone 3, SOCOM 4, and LBP2 (that's hard to the COREZ))

But whatever, I'm rambling now.

Digikid said:
Ah stop your whining guys. The price is fair.

Me? I think that I will go for the bundle deal myself.
How so? Don't just go "Stop whining, it's fair!" and just scuddle along, how is it fair? I legitimately want to know, I'm not trying to bash anyone. From what I read Kinect bundled with the 360, at $300, (double Kinect's price) only comes with a pitiful 4GB storage device that you have to buy an even pitiful-er USB stick just to get more memory, and when Microsoft does start selling 360Slim compatible harddrives it's going to cost around $100 [http://www.google.com/products?hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=Ex0&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&q=360+hard+drive&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=0R1GTLwdg4qXB4uC-cwE&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CDYQrQQwAA] just to increase it to a decent size.

Kuilui

Apr 1, 2010
Never let it be said that Microsoft doesn't throw common sense and logic into the wind and see if they can still turn a profit. I'm looking forward to seeing the sales numbers on this. Although knowing large corporations like Microsoft I'm sure sales will be gangbusters anyway and they will of course feel they did well because theirs enough sheep out their who'd buy vomit in a bag if it was something Microsoft was selling or nintendo or sony for that matter.

Although frankly why wouldn't anyone just buy/use a Wii instead? I mean honestly I can't think of a reason.

Hollock

Jun 26, 2009
if it comes with a game (which it does) it's probably worth it (if you're into that kind o' thing)

Sebenko

Dec 23, 2008
edgeofblade said:
No, the drives insert in a bay, like PS3... except they are still a proprietary model, unlike PS3. I actually wonder if you rip out the hard drive from the standard hard drive and stick it in the bay, would it work? Because the video I've seen makes it look like a standard SATA hard drive in a 360-branded case.
I heard that it was a laptop SATA drive, at least in the older ones. Haven't heard anything about the slim.

The Stonker

Feb 26, 2009
Why should I want a shitty product for 150$ when I can buy warhammer for more money! :D

Logic doesn't exist in my world you see.

Natdaprat

Sep 10, 2009
Well, nobody I know will be buying it. I knew it would just be mainstream garbage since last year.