Microsoft Confirms Self-Publishing on Xbox One

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Microsoft Confirms Self-Publishing on Xbox One

Microsoft has confirmed that indie game developers will in fact be able to self-publish on the Xbox One.

One of the biggest complains about the Xbox One was that indie game developers could not self-publish [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/124248-Xbox-One-Keeps-Indie-Self-Publishing-Off-Limits] on the platform. In contrast with both Sony and Nintendo, Microsoft required that anyone wanting to get stuff on Xbox Live have a deal with either Microsoft Game Studios or a third-party publisher. It was a problematic situation for game developers, obviously, but also for gamers, who faced a potentially restricted selection of indie fare as a result.

But Microsoft's latest Xbox One about-race changes all that, as it confirmed today that "every person can be a creator." The statement followed a Game Informer [http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2013/07/24/microsoft-to-announce-indie-self-publishing-new-certification-process.aspx] report this morning claiming that Microsoft would announce changes to its programs that would allow independent studios access to the platform without a publisher, and that it is streamlining its certification process with the intent of establishing a 14-day turnaround time.

"Our vision is that every person can be a creator. That every Xbox One can be used for development. That every game and experience can take advantage of all of the features of Xbox One and Xbox Live," Microsoft Corporate Vice President Marc Whitten said in a statement. "This means self-publishing. This means Kinect, the cloud, achievements. This means great discoverability on Xbox Live. We'll have more details on the program and the timeline at gamescom in August."

It's not exactly a step-by-step roadmap to indie freedom, but it is a step in the right direction. We'll find out exactly how big a step it is in a month: Gamescom [http://www.gamescom-cologne.com/en/gamescom/home/index.php] takes place from August 21 to 25 in Cologne, Germany.

Souce: Engadget [http://www.engadget.com/2013/07/24/xbox-one-indie-self-publishing/?a_dgi=aolshare_twitter]

Slash2x

Dec 7, 2009
"FUCK YOU INDIE DEVELOPERS!!!!!!!!"

"Wait no one liked that?"

"Well unfuck you then...."

"Why is no one rushing over to work with us?"

Said Micro$oft

Leaper

Jun 3, 2009
I'm not really following news on Xbox One that much, but is there a single major contraversial thing left that wasn't changed/canceled since E3?

Sight Unseen

The North Remembers
Nov 18, 2009
Leaper said:
I'm not really following news on Xbox One that much, but is there a single major contraversial thing left that wasn't changed/canceled since E3?
The Kinect is still being touted as an "integral and essential component of the xbox one" and thus is still force-bundled with the console and beefing the price up by $100.

The Kinect will still be watching you play for the purpose of targeting ads at you.

There may be some others.

Raziel

Jul 20, 2013
Good for indies.

But just how many reversals on stated policies is M$ going to do? It just seems to prolong the idea that xbone is a backwards/restrictive system when the stories about these changes always mention that the change now follows Sony/nintendo.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Leaper said:
It's still got the stupid name. But there is still time for them to backtrack on that.

I heard that scientists are currently researching a new method of power generation using the momentum of Microsoft's constant u-turns, it may be the crucial step to finding perpetual motion.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
How many more reversals can MS end up doing? I mean yes this is a good thing that the Indie developers now get to self-publish, but this should have been the fact from the get go and with the huge hissy fit they were throwing a lot of people are just gonna look down on this as a feeble attempt to try and get some people to go and develop more for the Xbox One.

Really, while it's a good thing this is still too little too late.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Great to see, although I do wonder if and how Microsoft will handle quality control. Because, you know, Sturgeon's Law and all, 90% of the stuff people are going to put on there will be utter shit.

But, all in all, good news.

taciturnCandid

Dec 1, 2010
Sight Unseen said:
Leaper said:
The Kinect is still being touted as an "integral and essential component of the xbox one" and thus is still force-bundled with the console and beefing the price up by $100.

The Kinect will still be watching you play for the purpose of targeting ads at you.

There may be some others.
Probably more beefing the price up by 150 or 200$. From what I understand Kinect 2.0 is some serious tech.

I don't know where the 100$ comes from. It seems to be that people think the xbox one would have the same price as the ps4, but many of the components are cheaper and it doesn't use the expensive GDDR5.

Right now the windows dev kits for the kinect 2.0 are being sold at 2 kinects for 400 dollars. That is 200 dollars each. Even if you count the software as worth 50$ it is still 175$ per kinect.

I would think an xbox one without a kinect 2.0 would be about 350$ or even if microsoft prices low 300$

Eiv

Oct 17, 2008
It's amusing to me that even if MS revealed the console cured cancer, people would still be like

"Well they were pro-cancer in the first place, I don't care about the cancer thing I'm still getting a PS4"

I have come to the conclusion that people aren't very objective any more. I'm personally waiting til release to see what we end up with then making my decision. I haven't pre-judged anything as of yet.

OT: This is fantastic news for Indy devs, even Kotaku's comments section is full of XB haters praising MS for this.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Adam Jensen said:
Oh, looks like Microsoft is really scared of Sony. I gotta say, I enjoy this console drama.
Agreed, kinda sad that there isn't as much of it as there was back during E3 and when Mattrick was in charge. Seems the new person in charge is working really hard to try and convince people about the good the Xbox One can do, and reversing the policies that made people hate it like crazy. No gonna lie, I don't envy her job.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
It really is fascinating to hear about these reversals. For the sake of competition, I hope this works out well for them.

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
Before long, they'll backpedal so hard they'll be releasing the Xbox 360 all over again.

Honestly, I still think that the price is the biggest factor against them when it comes to the general public. $100 is quite the disparity.

mrhateful

True Gamer
Apr 8, 2010
Wow microsoft did the easiest thing ever to not piss off gamers.... If only EA would try tactics like this, aka the don't be a dick 24/7 tactic

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
Almost there. Take it one further step - Ban the use of "Xbox first" contracts. You know what I'm talking about - Those agreements where indies or even big-time publishers have to wait a month to a year before they're allowed to release to other consoles or PC. After all, you don't even seem to help these people make more sales after agreeing to such contracts, and as a result, after the "embargo" lifts, they suddenly find the PC or PS3 port doing better than it ever did on XBLA or XBLIG.

So yeah. Just saying "You can self-publish now!" isn't the complete solution; you've got to be willing to help them sell the product to its fullest potential after it is finished and released. Otherwise, you might as well do nothing with the indie scene, not giving support or placing it under your control.

masticina

Jan 19, 2011
You spin me round baby right round like a ..

Another 180! Well at least they are steering clear of that big iceberg that is good news. The bad news is that it takes all the people on the boat screaming not to steer into it.

Spoken about 180's this would make Microsoft a great Dart Player. But they are sadly not playing darts.

This console launch will go into history. As a really weird time!

And yes good that smaller games don't have to kiss ass with activision or ubisoft to get on xbox live now. Good..
But seeing how XBL Indie was.. oh dear. Sure there was minecraft but also allot of games where big breasted ladies had to play card games.

captcha: hissy fit ... nah more panicking.