Microsoft Denies Core Gamers Hated Kinect

Mangue Surfer

May 29, 2010
For dance games is cool. For the rest is bullshit and I don't wanna in the others games and genres that I love.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Whatever

It scares me to see the utter lack of imagination when I read posts that say things like, Its only good for party games or its only good for dance games.

I can think of half a dozen types of potential uses for the technology off the top of my head that would actually be fairly intriguing.

There in lies the problem I think. "Core" gamers are showing an uncharacteristic (given that it only took games 2 decades to move from blocks to relatively photo realistic) level of impatience when it comes to kinect. It has a lot of potential uses. The Devs of the various companies out there just have not had time to work through the trial and error to figure out what is good and what is bad.

Given the strong sales of the hardware, we are starting to see some unique attempts in software. ME3 with Voice commands, Child of Eden, Gunstringer all show promise in the ways this can be utilized.

If you want the games that the "core" want, then you need to show the same sort of patience that it took to move video games from being a toy kids played with that made beep boop noises, to being one of the largest and most profitable industries in existence today.

Couch Radish

Mar 28, 2011
I never liked the Kinect. I like having something to hold onto while I'm playing (Wii, Move) because of tactile feedback.

With the Kinect I'm waving my arms around trying to make something happen.

Googooguru

Jan 27, 2010
"People saying: 'Wow, we'd really love to have Kinect in the games that we love to play and the genres and types of games we like to enjoy,'... to me that's saying like, 'We really love Kinect, and we'd like Kinect to be in the experiences that we play regular"

I love this quote it seems to me people are saying
"for the love of God Microsoft please make it do something im tired of playing with my non tactile virtual tiger and i am having serious buyers remorse after the initial high wore off. i wish it could be used for FPS, RPG, Racing Games, RTS... anything other than a TV Counter top paper weight and Dust magnet"

Microsoft hears
"Wow you guys are Epic and Uber Awesome, We Love you Sooo Much, Please continue giving each other high 5's for a job well done, oh and dont worry about bringing any meaningful titles with kinect support to the table we will be thrilled with Talking to mass effect even though it coud be accomplished just as easily through a headset :)"

Maybe Microsofts official Office Language is Klingon would explain why S*&T gets lost in translation

Wolfenbarg

Terrible Person
Oct 18, 2010
I love the Kinect for the interface and a couple of the Kinect specific games that it came out with. For core games though? I wouldn't ever use it, not unless they really brought it and did something new that I didn't feel to be a gimmick with zero depth.

This statement is a little odd to be honest. To this point, I've enjoyed the presence of Kinect because it has added to the experiences of the people who wanted it without hindering the rest of us who have absolutely no interest.

ZeZZZZevy

Apr 3, 2011
I can't say I've been particularly happy with the kinect games so far, but I still believe that Microsoft can do pretty cool things with it (especially in video games)

People have already done cool things with the Kinect outside of gaming, it's a very interesting piece of technology.

WeAreJimbo

May 17, 2010
"Hated" sounds past tense, I "hated" and still "hate" Kinect, Move and the Nintendo motion controller.

From the discussion between Todd Howard (Oblivion, Fallout 3, Skyrim) and Notch (Minecraft) at E3 it sounds like every XBox game from now on has to have some Kinect compatibility built in. The telling comments are at about the 50 second mark.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2011/06/14/notch-and-todd-howard-the-one-on-one-interview.aspx

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Wait. So someone from Microsoft is saying we don't hate their product? Well obviously we should believe them.

ultrachicken

Dec 22, 2009
I think there is absolutely no way in hell that voice commands are going to improve games because I'd like to be able to play games without disturbing the other people in the house.

As for motion control, while it's certainly entertaining as a novelty at first, the lack of an ability to move makes for severely hampered gaming experiences.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Hey, I DON'T WANT TO BE THE CONTROLLER!

That was fairly lame a year ago, now a year has gone by no one gives a crap about that gimmick as ultimately you know what is better than your body being a controller, and actual controller being the controller.

They say "I't so easy to command thing with your voice", no it isn't. It's way way easier to jsut twitch my thumb to control input rather than speaking artificially clearly and loudly at a retarded computer program.

Star Trek style "computer, Tea, Earl grey" is much more useful as a dramatic presentation technique in a fictional TV show. It would actually be much more effective for Captain Picard to press a few buttons and the Tea appear instantly but just wouldn't be as impressive.

You know what, he is right that people WERE interested in Kinect, but only before they ever got to use the thing.

Ashcrexl

May 27, 2009
i would totally get the kinect if A) i had the money to afford it and B) i had a 360.

so, uh, nothing personal, eh, kinect?

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
viranimus said:
The Devs of the various companies out there just have not had time to work through the trial and error to figure out what is good and what is bad.
They've had over a year and all the stuff even in development looks really lame.

People watching the trailer for Crytek's Ryse were all really interested yet an audible collective moan when the Kinect controls were revealed. Same with star wars. Oh god that looked terrible, you could play that game blind just flailing your arms.

The only game remotely enjoyable remains Dance Central. It's the dance central device.

Given the strong sales of the hardware, we are starting to see some unique attempts in software. ME3 with Voice commands, Child of Eden, Gunstringer all show promise in the ways this can be utilized.
two things about voice controls:
(1) voice commands SUUUUCK, I've worked with the best software in the business and the simplest things are just mind numbingly frustrating. Controls are always quicker and more than that; less of a cognitive load.
(2) you do not need kinect for voice commands, you just need a microphone which the 360 has for $10? This artificial limitation to Kinect is ridiculous.

Child Of Eden, while fun with arm-aiming not so much fun without a fire button when child of Eden says this time there is much more emphasis on the rhythm of the shots you take. Move would be better or even just a gamepad's thumbstick.

Titan Buttons

Apr 13, 2011
I got given Kinect as an xmas present and I've only play it once since I only have game for it but it was quite a lot of fun even if it was a gimmicky game but it work so smoothly with the controls. I have no beaf with it

Jake Martinez

Apr 2, 2010
Kinect is an amazing piece of technology for the price. Really - it's just fantastic.

There are not a lot of cool games and game play mechanics for it... yet, which is a shame.

Personally I like the idea of marrying the kinect with other types of controls like voice or even the hand-held xbox controller as a "supplementary" type of control scheme, or using it for genre's on the console that haven't been previously succesful..

for instance, I think Kinect would make an awesome interface for a proper console RTS - one hand could be used for panning/zooming/rotating the camera and the other hand used for selecting units/giving orders (circle around a group to select, tap a location once or twice to give different orders)

The problem I think with the media for the Kinect is that each one is done to show off what you can do with the controller in the most obvious, bang you over the head, sort of way - with exaggerated physical actions and gimmicky content. Hell, just try rotating a camera with the kinect - that alone, if done smoothly and intuitively could bring a lot the table in terms of UI.

VondeVon

Dec 30, 2009
I quite liked the Kinect Adventure game that came with mine. It was a bit awkward to play in my too-small room (Diagonally, most of the time. And if you moved too far to the right, your legs vanished.) but for the most part it was fun to see my avatar doing what I did. A little more finesse with fingers and such would be nice, but it was fun.

And then I packed it away in its box and never thought about it again. Kinect Adventure just doesn't do it for me for a single-player game. It's 'see what I can do' software, or a group-game at most (and I can barely play single player). No 'real' game uses it, so I therefore have no use for it. I prefer it over the Wii's controls, but the wii controls can at least be used for a hell of a lot of games, regardless of whether the sensor is used or not.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Jake Martinez said:
Kinect is an amazing piece of technology for the price. Really - it's just fantastic.
Yes, it is "amazing" technology, but that does not make it suited to deep gaming.

It is suited to gross instinctive interactions for absolute novices. It belongs in an arcade, not in your living room competing with an xbox 360 controller. Maybe if you have friends come over who have NEVER played games and want to play some games then it has a use.

You know what is ALSO amazing technology? The Xbox 360 controller.

It is such an exquisitely designed input device with nigh on perfect ergonomics, especially the thumbsticks capable of such precision with just the right amount of consistent resistance it is one of the best aiming devices you can use on the couch. Especially in combination with FPS-freek add-ons.

Dual Thumbsticks allow ideal movement in a Three Dimensional world, left for movement, right for all important camera-look and aiming.

The shoulder and click-down-stick leaves a full 6 functions to instantly and definitely use for interaction along with 14 further distinct inputs between D-pad and face buttons each within easy reach. This is a great system.