Microsoft Drops Xbox One DRM Restrictions - UPDATED

Frontastic

Aug 3, 2010
If this turns out to be true... A company actually listened to consumers?? I'm shocked.

Still don't want one. Seeing as neither console has backwards compatibility, this generation is a clean slate. And Sony are cheaper and have the lesser evil in terms of subscription fees.

The Xbone has a more comforatble looking controller aaaaaand that's about it. And Dead Rising 3 but it looks like they've already messed that one up trying to make it 'dark' and 'gritty'. Bye Xbox.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
I would say the damage has already been done. They may have changed things, but first impressions have already been given so it will take a lot to buy an xbone now.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
This has now been confirmed apparently on Xbox Wire (their official Xbox news thing) but it's kinda dead at the moment. XD

Quite the turnaround though, and I'm happy that it is happening.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
But they were praising their DRM as something good for the consumers.

That tells us 2 things:
1. It was never supposed to be good for the consumers
2. Cloud processing was always a lie if all the games can work offline

And the fact still remains that they were praising those features as something that's going to be beneficial to us. And now they're removing the things that they advertized as attractive features that were supposed to give it the edge over the PS4. Which means that now we have two pretty similar consoles. Except that one is 50% more powerful and $100 cheaper. If they get rid of the mandatory Kinect and lower the price, then we can talk about competition. Because right now Sony is still in the lead. And most people have pretty much renounced Microsoft as the devil himself.

Furioso

Jun 16, 2009
Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaait a second, don't most announced games still use the cloud? Those games will still have to be online... I wonder if this is like their used game policy or whatever it was where they can pass the blame onto the devs.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I doubt they would fully remove it, probably just down play it and work to give the impression that they will "urge" publishers to not utilize the drm functionality.

Drop_D-Bombshell

Doing Nothing Productive...
Apr 17, 2010
this is a longshot but i pray to Gabe Newell that this is true. Hearing that Dead Rising 3 would be on Xbox One pissed me the hell off and this being true might convince me enough to get it. I'm not exactly holding my breath but i'm gonna hope they do.

If this turns out to be true then this shows that a lot of whining and shouting gets stuff done, like Jim Sterling said.

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
Mumorpuger said:
Maybe they should change the name to the Xbox One Eighty.
Ok that was a good one, bravo sir bravo.

OT: Yeah let's see if this turns out to be true first before trowing confetti all over Times square

ssgt splatter

Oct 8, 2008
Wow that was quick. I thought it would take them at least a couple of months to pull their heads out of their asses not a couple of days.

Even though this is only a rumor it's a pleasant rumor. Microsoft, make it so.

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
Thank you for at least getting the concept of what a 180 vs a 360 actually is. I remember towards the beginning of this generation, I kept seeing Sony fans saying things like "you know why its called a 360? Cause you see one and do a 360 and walk away." it made me wish I had a Facepunch key on my computer.

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
This is a great PR stunt because now they can claim they don't have the DRM restrictions but they can still blame the DRM use on the game needing it.

I'll leave it to the early adopters to be the test dummies to see how the DRM situation turns out.

However, I am sad to say the consumer is quick to forgive companies that abuse them frequently.

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
Even if this is all true I'm a bit confused. The #1 purpose behind always-on is to allow for used-license trade ins to retailers.

If the cloud no longer knows my library is current a retailer can't trust selling the game, as either I could still have the license (effectly pirating the game) or the new buyer wouldn't be able to play (license already consumed).

To avoid that they'd have to remove game licenses, which would destroy the ability to have the Xbone Steam-Like Library, their primary reason for doing all this crap in the first place.

TWEWYFan

Mar 22, 2012
A highly doubt this is true. Not because this isn't the right move, because god knows it is, but because I don't see MS being that reasonable about it. Still, I'd like to be wrong on this.

EDIT:
Wow, I wasn't expecting that. Still, he's right we should still be cautious at this point.

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
Mumorpuger said:
Maybe they should change the name to the Xbox One Eighty.
Thank you for at least getting the concept of what a 180 vs a 360 actually is. I remember towards the beginning of this generation, I kept seeing Sony fans saying things like "you know why its called a 360? Cause you see one and do a 360 and walk away." it made me wish I had a Facepunch key on my computer.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
I still don't want to pay $100 more for a less powerful console with a worse track record for exclusives (in my opinion), but this would be nice if it were true.

Darkong

Nov 6, 2007
Assuming they get rid of the DRM will they also reverse the stance on game ownership?

Because unless I'm allowed to own the games I buy rather than just licensing them I'm still not touching the Xbox One.

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
My reaction if it turns out to be true:

But I'll still be angry at Microsoft for considering those options in the first place. And I will THEN consider buying one. So long as Game Ownership is still allowed.