Microsoft Drops Xbox One DRM Restrictions - UPDATED

IndomitableSam

Sep 6, 2011
Teoes said:
(Edit: gais gais SimCity doesn't need to be online either! trolololol)
I was waiting for a SimCity reference. Ha.

Me? Still not buying it. Who's to say they won't add the requirements back in later, especially if the framework and such is already there? They could sell it to us as 'fixed' in our eyes, then turn around and flip the DRM switch on us whilst cackling madly knowing people will just shrug and keep playing since they already own the system.

Paigan7

Apr 18, 2012
Confirmed here:
http://news.xbox.com/2013/05/qa

Well, kinda confirmed.

"Q: Does Xbox One require an ?always on? Internet connection?
A: No, it does not have to be always connected, but Xbox One does require a connection to the Internet."

&

"Q: Will Xbox One allow players to trade in, purchase and play pre-owned games?
A: We are designing Xbox One to enable customers to trade in and resell games. We?ll have more details to share later."

...answers seem a bit too vague for me to trust.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Paigan7 said:
Confirmed here:
http://news.xbox.com/2013/05/qa

Well, kinda confirmed.

"Q: Does Xbox One require an ?always on? Internet connection?
A: No, it does not have to be always connected, but Xbox One does require a connection to the Internet."

&

"Q: Will Xbox One allow players to trade in, purchase and play pre-owned games?
A: We are designing Xbox One to enable customers to trade in and resell games. We?ll have more details to share later."

...answers seem a bit too vague for me to trust.
Yes, and again. When Microsoft is pushing for developers to use it's cloud processing services it's actually pushing for always online DRM anyways. So giving ground here is basically pointless.

LostintheWick

Sep 29, 2009
Listen to these comments! People just love to hate. MS are damned if they do, damned if they don't.

If this ends up being true, it shows that MS is a company willing to listen, even if it means scrapping plans they are heavily invested in. This is something major game corporations don't really seem to do. I'll wait for the XB1 to be release before voting with my money.

But I would definitely vote for a company that knows how to "man up" to their mistakes and make things right.

And I doubt they are setting up a "trap". That would permanently destroy anybodies faith in them and that isn't good for profit. Ever.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
If true, this would be the second good decision Microsoft has made regarding this console... it would also be just about the same level of no-brainer as using x86 hardware.

Somehow I still doubt it, though. Sorta reminds me of this:
Microsoft Finally Admits Xbox One Was a Failure [http://cheezburger.com/51361537]​

flaviok79

Feb 22, 2011
If the rumor is true, than I say it probably is due to poor pre-order numbers. Only hard cash speaks louder than the voice of the masses.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
I'll just copy what I just said about this in my user group.

Even if these rumours of Microsoft changing all that crap were true. The PS4 is still a better console, and cheaper. Hell, even if it wasn't, I would still buy the PS4 just to spite Microsoft for trying all that crap in the first place.

Zombie_Moogle

Dec 25, 2008
WE HAVE CONFIRMATION PEOPLE :D

Engadget & Blistered Thumbs are both reporting that they have official statements that Microsoft is tired of getting its dick kicked in

Happy days, folks

Imre Csete

Original Character, Do Not Steal
Jul 8, 2010
Oh damn, does this mean we won't be educated by business people?

I was really looking forward to learning how all these restrictions will benefit me because the future is coming and it is in the clouds. :(

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
One the one hand this news makes me sad as that might mean that Microsoft has a slightly smaller chance to fall flat on its face when the console is launched, but on the other hand: good competition is healthy for the games industry.

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
IndomitableSam said:
Me? Still not buying it. Who's to say they won't add the requirements back in later, especially if the framework and such is already there? They could sell it to us as 'fixed' in our eyes, then turn around and flip the DRM switch on us whilst cackling madly knowing people will just shrug and keep playing since they already own the system.
That is delightfully cynical, I love it. Again, just like aspects of SimCity. Ha! Was thinking similar things myself.

velcthulhu

Feb 14, 2009
Awww, poor little Microsoft executives, did you think Sony was going to help you ram DRM down everyone's throats? Were you, EA and Activision planning to starve the Wii U to death so all the console gamers would have to "deal with it"? Did the big, mean Sony executives screw you over and steal all the hype by not pissing on their customers with you? I just feel so, so sorry for you.

idarkphoenixi

May 2, 2011
Finally. Nuclear submarine dwelling gamers can rejoice!

But you still need that always-online monitoring device.

Ruley

Sep 3, 2010
Too little, too late.

The fact alone that they felt like they had the right to shove these restrictions on the consumer to protect against piracy and other money losing ploys shows how little they care about us.

If you are worried about piracy, sort that out without affecting my enjoyment of your system and alienating me with restrictions on what i can and cannot do with something i payed £450 for.

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
LostintheWick said:
But I would definitely vote for a company that knows how to "man up" to their mistakes and make things right.
My thoughts exactly. They probably realize their mistake and their horrid PR and will try their best to stitch back together what relationship they had with the gaming community. It'll be a long hard road ahead but I do know they'll try.