Microsoft Exec: Offline Gamers Should Stick With Xbox 360

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Microsoft Exec: Offline Gamers Should Stick With Xbox 360

Microsoft executive Don Mattrick says the company has a console for gamers who can't get online, and it's called the Xbox 360.

One of the big issues gamers have with the Xbox One is its internet connectivity requirement. While it technically doesn't require an "always on" connection, it does have to connect to the internet at least once every 24 hours [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/124711-Microsoft-Addresses-Xbox-One-Concerns], or once an hour if you're accessing your library from a separate console - and if you exceed those limits, you'll be locked out of your games until you're able to get online.

That's a pretty big deal, because it effectively locks out gamers who have limited or no internet access - and they're out there - or who simply have a problem with the idea of being arbitrarily denied access to the games they bought and paid for. But Mattrick, Microsoft's President of Interactive Entertainment Business, told GTTV that the company already has offline gamers covered.

"Fortunately we have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity. It's called Xbox 360," he said.

"If you have zero access to the internet, that is an offline device. When I read the blogs and thought about who's really the most impacted, there was a person who said, 'Hey, I'm on a nuclear sub.' I don't even know what it means to be on a nuclear sub but I've got to imagine that it's not easy to get an internet connection," he continued. "I can empathize, if I was on a sub I'd be disappointed."

The implication that only people living in submarines would have problems with the online requirement notwithstanding, Mattrick claimed Microsoft knew there would be resistance to the decision but said people would come to embrace the idea of a connected console once they actually had a chance to see it in action.

"It's a super-passionate community of people. They're loving what we do, it's very important to them, and they're opinionated and they're smart. So they look at all these things and they say, 'Hey, is this going to impact me in a negative way?'" he said. "And until you use it, it's really hard to understand what all the advantages are."

His position isn't without validity - it is a "service-based world," as he put it, and things generally are better on the internet - but his turn of phrase sounds dangerously like a dismissal of valid gamer concerns. Of course, it's not the first time Mattrick has had that problem; discussing the Xbox One's lack of compatibility with Xbox 360 games last month, he made a big splash when he said [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/124268-Microsoft-Exec-If-Youre-Backwards-Compatible-Youre-Really-Backwards], "If you're backwards compatible, you're really backwards."

Source: GTTV [http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/silmon/xbox-one-e3-2013--the-xbox-one-strategy--stream-]

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
He forgot to mention that you also don't need to be constantly connected to play the WiiU or the Ps4. I really hope the xbone bites ms in the ass.

Slash Joel

Apr 7, 2011
Going going and it is gone. All my respect for Microsoft that is. Thy are just being defensive assholes now. How does a company become this disconnected from their consumers?

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
That's...

...Wow. So let me get this straight - Mattrick thinks that publishers and developers will continue developing for the X360 after eight years?

Guess what. Publishers and developers tend to stray from supporting previous-generation consoles, and it's for a good reason, pal.

snowfi6916

Nov 22, 2010
So Microsoft just told all the people without a stable Internet connection to fuck off?

Yeah, they are done.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
No no no, that's totally cool.

I can play on another console that won't blatantly fuck me over.

It's called the PS4, and I hear it's pretty cheap.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Wait... so if I want all the benefits of a XBox, without all Microsofts bullshit, I should just keep my 360?

Kay...

Mister Six

Aug 16, 2010
Hey Mattrick? In the words of Hopsin "Fuck me? Fuck you."

God I hope the investors get word of how Microsoft seems to be digging their own grave and start calling for heads.

Mar 26, 2008
Hear that? It's the sound of the avalanche of hate heading your way.

As much as I love my 360, it's not a PS4. It's also getting a bit long in the tooth, which isn't it's fault. It was looking forward to its well earned retirement and now this jackass has cancelled its pension plan because I don't want to be "online".

SpinFusor

Jun 28, 2004
What might have been helpful here is an explanation of what these "advantages" are, and how they outweigh the huge disadvantages.

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
The sad thing is the console will still sell relatively well when ignorant dudebros are going to dish out $500 so they can play the next COD and BF4.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
You know Microsoft, there's another new console that lets you play offline. It's called the WiiU. And there's another one coming out right around the time your new system comes out. It's called the PS4. And if I somehow end up with an XB1, there's a place where it will end up. It's called the trashcan.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Fuck you too, Mattrick. If there was any one reason to really not buy an XBox One is because it's supporting dirt bags like him that think that they have the right to pull shit like this. I'll be enjoying my PS4 and PC over here, might even pick up a Wii U at some point because fuck you, Mattrik.

I mean, you just told me you don't want my money. If that's the case, then I'll give it to someone else. Aren't you just a shrewd businessman?

Seriously, fuck you, Mattrick.

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
As an underprivileged, nuclear submarine-shackled individual, I take great offense to this.

Oh, and it's not like they needed to tell me to stick with my 360...
I've said it before and I'll say it again: It's either a PS4 or an upgraded video card for me.

Vetta E-dom

Mar 10, 2012
DugMachine said:
The sad thing is the console will still sell relatively well when ignorant dudebros are going to dish out $500 so they can play the next COD and BF4.
Like it or not those so-called dude bros are bringing in piles of money to support your hobby, so perhaps acting like a jackass to them isn't the best course of action.