Microsoft Exec on Always Online Consoles: "Deal With it"

Nowhere Man

Mar 10, 2013
There's another thread floating around about this where I posted my opinion so as to not spam I'll enclose it in the following
I'm so sick and tired of these tech hipsters evangelizing always online like it's the greatest thing since running water. Their putrid arrogance in thinking everyone has a fast reliable inexpensive internet connection and that they'd always WANT to be main lined into some social DRM driven experience like a heroin addict takes to jamming dirty needles in his extended arm is just ridiculously short sighted and reeks of corporate technological indoctrination from higher management.

Electricity and internet is handled by providers in vastly different ways, I don't think I have to explain to you guys in what ways as you know what I'm talking about. Also this mandatory kinect eye bullshit, the possibility of not being able to play used games, a console whose focus is moving more and more away from gaming to become some watered down entertainment hub? Microsoft can take their Nextbox and the airheads making these decisions, including this Bozo, and ship themselves on a one way rocket to a distant Saturn moon for all I care. This is why I'm sitting the next console generation out.

I'm so glad I'm getting into PC gaming.

TecnoMonkey

Jul 2, 2012
WanderingFool said:
Slyaap said:
Ok....I'll deal with it. I've decided not to buy the next version of the Xbox.

Dealt with.

(I hope this isn't too low content, I'm awfully new at this)
Im already dead set on the PS4 to begin with.

Now, just to be sure, when we talk about Always on, does this mean that if the internet doesnt work, the XBox wont either? Cuz thats just plain Pants-on-head retarded...

There was an article on Kotaku where a source said that if there is no Internet connection no games or apps can be started, if the internet connection is interrupted while a game or app is running then after 3 minutes they are suspended and a network troubleshooter appears.

Microsoft seems to be making all the wrong choices for next gen.

karamazovnew

Apr 4, 2011
Smart, very smart. Because, you know... always online DRM (which this is...) has been proven to work flawlessly until now. Geesh... can you imagine 30+ million users trying to play at the same time? Can you imagine a bust like Sim City affecting your entire console? I feel pity for the poor souls who are going to buy this crap in the first few months. That is reason alone to stay away from this.

Staying online and benefiting from it is one thing. Servers down? No problemo... single player it is. Being forced to stay online is something else. Anybody here remember the PSN fiasco a few years back? Microsoft, I hope you're ready for this. I'll have no joy in seeing you crash. But you will. And that's the only thing I'll have to deal with :)

Kenneth Jackson

Nov 7, 2012
That settles it I guess, looks like I'm jumping ship.

Here's a question, Mr PR guy;
I work for 4 months a year on a Military base; a location where I am not legally allowed to have internet connections. And you're telling me that this 300-500 dollar piece of entertainment equipment is no better than a paperweight at that point?

What colour is the sky in your world, little man? Are there elves? I feel there should be elves. You've just lost me, and probably hundreds of other sales - remember how big a deal was made when troops in Iraq and Afghanistan were shipped some 360's, and Halo?

Winthrop

Apr 7, 2010
BurnOutBrighter said:
Front page on Reddit and all over the big news sites now. HUGE PR disaster for MS.

Oh, and there's also <url=http://www.quickmeme.com/Always-Online-Adam-Orth/?upcoming>the meme!
Oh god Sim City ad showed up on that page. Cannot stop laughing. Was having a rough day this helped haha.

Magmarock

Sep 1, 2011
Dear Adam Orth, not everyone and or should have to need an internet connection to use their hardware or software. I use Windows and I have a legal license for it too. However I also have a means to update it and install it without ever needing an internet connection.

Do you think this is the right way to "Deal with it?"

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
bringer of illumination said:
Well I suppose Microsoft can "deal with it" when the NextBox tanks.
Can we move Viva Pinata to the Nintendo Console so that I have literally nothing I care about that is Xbox only :x.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
Sometimes I think there needs to be a new job created: Analogy Police.

"Hey gamers, complaining about always online DRM is like refusing to buy a car because you live too far from a petrol-"

"Excuse me sir, Analogy Police. I'm going to have to ask you to step away from the comparison and return to your home. Quietly."

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Well MS has sort of come out apologising for this with Larry Hryb, also known as 'Major Nelson' the Director of Programming for Xbox Live issuing this statement.

Official Statement on what was said yesterday

I wanted to give you the official Microsoft Statement regarding some comments you may have seen yesterday::

"We apologize for the inappropriate comments made by an employee on Twitter yesterday. This person is not a spokesperson for Microsoft, and his personal views do not reflect the customer centric approach we take to our products or how we would communicate directly with our loyal consumers. We are very sorry if this offended anyone, however we have not made any announcements about our product roadmap, and have no further comment on this matter."

As frequent readers of my blog know, the moment we have news about our products I will be sharing all the details I can.

Xbox 360, Xbox Live By Larry Hryb, Xbox LIVE's Major Nelson
Basicly its 'sorry our guy was a douchebag, but we aren't going to confirm nor deny his statement regarding Always Online.'

http://majornelson.com/2013/04/05/official-statement-on-what-was-said-yesterday/

bat32391

Oct 19, 2011
So, if someone decides to not have internet, or their internet goes out they can just fuck off right?
Pff what an asshole, if they really go always online it'll be the push I need to finally switch to PC gaming.

bat32391

Oct 19, 2011
ProtoChimp said:
Adam Orth you sir are a ****. What are you? You're a ****, yes you are. You live in a cunty cottage and you drive a cunty car.
I laughed harder at this then I probably should have.

Lovely Mixture

Jul 12, 2011
Shamanic Rhythm said:
Sometimes I think there needs to be a new job created: Analogy Police.

"Hey gamers, complaining about always online DRM is like refusing to buy a car because you live too far from a petrol-"

"Excuse me sir, Analogy Police. I'm going to have to ask you to step away from the comparison and return to your home. Quietly."
What's the penalty for repeat offenders? N-not that I'm guilty of this or anything. If I was.... do I get leniency for supporting the consumer side?

gyroscopeboy

Nov 27, 2010
If the NextBox has wireless connections, then its no big deal. However, if I have to run a long fucking cable from my living room to my router just to play singleplayer games, then no thanks.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Kargathia said:
Except that I'd be extremely surprised if SimCity turns out to be profitable. At this point it's safe to say that it'll be selling way below expectancy.
SimCity was still #1 in computer games on Amazon weeks after being delisted. I have no idea if it's still there, but if you think that's unprofitable, or anything of the sort....

I don't even know what to say, honestly. People have gone so far as to take their own expectations and portray them as fact and then act surprised when things don't turn out that way (and to be fair, they still MIGHT, but I suspect "below expectations" will only be an issue because these are the same guys who thought Dead Space 3 should be able to sell 5 million units).

I call it "Fox News Syndrome," based on the 2012 election, but I suppose at this point "disgruntled gamer syndrome" would work just as well.

Pebkio said:
Join PC gamers, we don't put up with bullshit.
Except that's where Always Online originated, so that makes even less sense than going PS4. :p

Pebkio

The Purple Mage
Nov 9, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
Except that's where Always Online originated, so that makes even less sense than going PS4. :p
I'm sorry, you're absolutely right, it's not like PC gamers are the only ones doing anything about the always online nonsense or anything. Yeah, we certainly weren't bypassing that crap since it's beginnings. In fact, I can safely say that this CAN'T be the reason why they're thinking of switching the always online stuff to the more pliable and less active console community.

I'm not being sarcastic at all. Nope. It'd be best if you went with a console for which only some always online games will be made (as opposed to all) and that you won't be able to do anything about. I mean, at least some of your games won't require a constant connection on the PS4. Meanwhile, us poor PC gamers will just have to deal with not having to put up with bullshit.

---

Ubisoft was trying that always online thing with us way back with Assassin's Creed 2 and our coders basically told them to sit and spin. Everything they've forced online has been modded back offline. And until publishers give up such a stupid practice, we'll continue to fix their idiocy.