Microsoft Exec Snaps Back at Fan Over Xbox One Resolution Issue

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
Microsoft Exec Snaps Back at Fan Over Xbox One Resolution Issue

Microsoft Studio Manager Mike Ybarra tells a fan to troll less and game more in regards to the Xbox One's resolution issue.

It's no secret by now that Sony's PlayStation 4 is snapped back to troll less and game more [http://www.escapistmagazine.com] and cites Forza 5 as a game that hits the 60fps (frames-per-second) and 1080p resolution benchmarks.

Forza is 1080p/60. Less troll, more gaming. "@gohardgohome07: @XboxQwik cool when will the xbone be able to hit 1080p"

For reference, Turn 10's Forza 5 is indeed running at native 1080p resolution and at 60fps -- though the same can't be said for other games [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/131603-Tomb-Raider-on-PS4-May-Double-Xbox-One-Framerate] on the platform. Last month, Microsoft's director of product planning Albert Penello said that the 1080p and 60fps differences between the PS4 and the Xbox One are "pretty minor" little things that get way overblown.

In non-technical Xbox One news, a looking to track, identify and seek legal action [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/131817-Rumor-Halo-2-Anniversary-Crackdown-3-Future-Xbox-One-Content-Leaked] against the NeoGAF forum poster who posted the leaks.

Do you agree with Ybarra that people should just play the game and stop obsessing over technical issues, or is Microsoft to blame for not releasing a stronger console?

Source: Twitter [https://twitter.com/XboxQwik/status/429728292535422976]

SKBPinkie

Oct 6, 2013
Seriously, who the hell is in charge of Microsoft's marketing. They're gonna run out of feet to shoot at.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
I find it funny how Microsoft pushed how their consoles were more powerful for so long and are part of the reason why people are so obsessed with resolution nowadays, and now are getting pissed off because they are being called out for not being as powerful. It's irony to say the least. :p

Talaris

Sep 6, 2010
I don't know whether there is more to the twitter conversation that what's in this article, but here it seems XboxQwik says "cool when will the xbone be able to hit 1080p" and is immediately labelled a troll. I don't know whether I'm reading that different but it hardly seems like a trolling remark; he could have simply been misinformed and was just asking a question.

That Microsoft response of "less trolling more gaming" is highly immature at the very least.

panosbouk

Feb 28, 2011
For me it is unacceptable next gen consoles not running all games at 1080p 60fps. I am not talking about games but about technology here. Xbox One is not a game, but a machine that runs games. You release something new and call it next generation, then consumers will and should expect some things.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
I feel like I've seen this type of Microsoft response before...

... I can't put my finger on it.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
OK, more gaming it is... on platforms superior to the Xbone... :)

MazokuRanma

Oct 29, 2009
CarnageRacing00 said:
In most circumstances, yes, I'd say that players should just accept what they have and enjoy the games.

HOWEVER...

Much of Microsoft's marketing on the Xbone implied (and in some cases, outright stated) that it was technically superior to the PS4.

I can't help but feel as if anyone who purchased the Xbone, hoping to have THE cutting edge console, the one that's supposed to be the superior piece of tech, is more than justified in being upset that the Xbox is lagging behind the PS4 in terms of technical capability.
That's because you misunderstood the marketing. It's not the most cutting edge gaming system available, it's the most cutting edge cable box available. Oh, and it plays some games, too.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Microsoft needs to fire every one in PR >.> cause this kinda thing is just not gonna go over well.

Though really it seems like a legit thing to ask, since 1080P is like 'the standard' now right? Other then Microsoft being generally incompetent, there's really no reason they shouldn't have those options.

Dandres

Apr 7, 2013
I wonder how well the xbone sales will do this year once football season is over. The people I know that have an xbone talk about how they like to watch football and work on their fantasy football league at the same time. Never about what games they play on it.

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
CriticalMiss said:
He should have thrown a 'deal with it' in there for old times sake.
Alright, I admit, I forgot about that bit and that made me LOL. :)

Lunar Templar said:
Microsoft needs to fire every one in PR >.> cause this kinda thing is just not gonna go over well.

Though really it seems like a legit thing to ask, since 1080P is like 'the standard' now right? Other then Microsoft being generally incompetent, there's really no reason they shouldn't have those options.
That's been a question most people have been asking. With the "Deal with It" thing and other stuff, Microsoft PR must have been having a field day, or just not in the loop.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Xbox: FUTURE, GRAPHICS, FRAME RATE, STUFF!
Troll: Specifics.
Xbox: Whatever, no one cares, it's not about that stuff.

Christ, I can't believe I used to chew people out for enjoying FF7 despite its lego graphics... TIME, YOU HAVE MADE ME LOOK A'FOOL AND I FREAKING DESERVE IT!

Britpoint

Aug 30, 2013
Frankly if you're that bothered about the technical details than get a PS4 or a PC. No need to whine about it. 1080p/60 is great and preferable if you have the choice, but 99% of the time it isn't a big deal. So I'm with the Microsoft guy on this one.

Sep 14, 2009
CarnageRacing00 said:
In most circumstances, yes, I'd say that players should just accept what they have and enjoy the games.

HOWEVER...

Much of Microsoft's marketing on the Xbone implied (and in some cases, outright stated) that it was technically superior to the PS4.

I can't help but feel as if anyone who purchased the Xbone, hoping to have THE cutting edge console, the one that's supposed to be the superior piece of tech, is more than justified in being upset that the Xbox is lagging behind the PS4 in terms of technical capability.
this, not to mention the pricetag difference between the ps4 and xbone.

I mean hell, you're hard pressed to walk into any electronic store these days and not have 1080p be the standard, the fact that the xbone isn't keeping up with that (especially after all that huff and puff about it being technologically superior) is a sour statement for long term usage.

MazokuRanma

Oct 29, 2009
Perhaps if they hadn't had to subsidize the cost of Kinect so much, the systems would be on par with each other from a technological standpoint. At least there are all those great Kinect games coming out to justify the extra money, though, right...?

newwiseman

Aug 27, 2010
CarnageRacing00 said:

HOWEVER...

MS put in eSRAM, it's one of the biggest differences in design between the two consoles and, if devs use it, the XBONE has a slight edge over the PS4. So, from an extremely technical view they're not lying, but its also more complex to develop for and, just like on the 360 (had some eDRAM for same purpose), what developer is going to spend time and money to use the ESRAM while developing; especially when the PS4 is otherwise identical to develop for.

That said, most people don't understand and can't see the resolution difference (unless it's a side by side), they just know the numbers marketing hype. At the end of the day 720p is a higher resolution than most people need for the average game.

Slegiar Dryke

Dec 10, 2013
Can I just say, I'm royally BLOODY SICK and tired of all this BS and back and forth teeth baring about fricken resolution and FPS. Maybe I'm just digging my heels in too much to older games to be taken seriously, and if so, eh, fine, nothing lost on my part. But everyone saying we NEED this rush to 1080/60....shut up. For all technical concerns, these new consoles are PCs. and guess what? PC's for the price you can get these consoles at can't be guaranteed to achieve 1080/60 either. So enjoy your fancy new games, deal with what the developers can ACHIEVE on the new hardware that some may still be learning, and lets wait for that turning point where they understand the structure of the system to utilize its full abilities......you know, like they managed with the PS2.

Meanwhile, I'll be enjoying my older games that play nicely without needing tons of money for hardware or fancy screens, eating my popcorn.