Microsoft Exec Snaps Back at Fan Over Xbox One Resolution Issue

jackpipsam

SEGA fanboy
Jun 2, 2009
The poor guy must get hundreds of these trollish tweets on a daily basis.

It's only natural at some point he will snap.

I don't blame the Exec, I am not in his position of constant e-abuse.

smithy_2045

Jan 30, 2008
Evil Smurf said:
I suppose it's hard to admit you made the worst console of the generation. Take pity on Microsoft ;D
Wii U is part of this generation, and is quite clearly worse than the Xbox One.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
smithy_2045 said:
Evil Smurf said:
I suppose it's hard to admit you made the worst console of the generation. Take pity on Microsoft ;D
It's backwards compatible, so much so it can play game cube games, how does that make it worse?

Sarge034

Feb 24, 2011
While I do generally enjoy taking a shit on MS in the recent months I have to (reluctantly) side with MS on this one. The MS guy was a douche, no doubt, but the console technically can run 1080P 60fps software as demonstrated by Forza. The problem at this point is that most devs don't know how to optimize the dev kits and get the most out of the machine yet.

I just defended MS. God, I feel dirty now.

EndlessSporadic

May 20, 2009
Racing games don't require high end specs to run. The more important thing a racing game needs is real-time shadows and lighting and they probably just did some fancy shader magic instead of using real shadows. Forza can run at 1080/60, but that is because it is not an intensive game. When KH3 and FFXV, and the other games that matter come out chances are those games will only get 720/30.

Here's a challenge.

1) Make a level where it is snowing. Snowflakes use PhysX.
2) Use real-time shadows and dynamic lighting.
3) Use non-billboard backgrounds.
4) Add a bunch of ground clutter (once again, not billboard).
5) Make the cars run using real physics and collisions (crashes actually total the car).

Your game won't run 1080/60 on an XBone.

That being said, the rep responded a lot better than the rest of the Microsoft employees have so far.

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
JenSeven said:
Alex Co said:
In non-technical Xbox One news, a looking to track, identify and seek legal action [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/131817-Rumor-Halo-2-Anniversary-Crackdown-3-Future-Xbox-One-Content-Leaked] against the NeoGAF forum poster who posted the leaks.
Wait, didn't they debunk those rumours?
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/131906-Microsoft-Denies-399-Disc-Less-Xbox-One
What is it Microsoft?
Are those rumours true and you are validly pursuing legal actions against someone, or are those rumours false and you're now trying to sue someone for the hell of it?
Greenberg just "debunked" the disc-less Xbox One, not the games lineup and plans. Same with the leaker. =)

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Well, there's no excuse for assholes, but then it looks like both sides has 'em.

So instead, I'm going to say 'Ten Love' and call it there.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
jackpipsam said:
The poor guy must get hundreds of these trollish tweets on a daily basis.

It's only natural at some point he will snap.

I don't blame the Exec, I am not in his position of constant e-abuse.
If he can't deal with them, he probably shouldn't be in a position of public presence and corporate representation.

This is one of the stupid things about social media, but not just social media. It was a problem back before facebook and twitter. It's just been augmented now that your innermost thoughts are a tweet away. Or, more likely, your most dickish thoughts.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Just keeps getting better and better. I love this, man. I think people are far too hung up on graphics. The new generation really wasn't ready. If they can't even handle these few things, then there is a problem for sure. Too complicated tech involved? Too much dedication to graphics and not the games? Clearly not having things figured out well enough to handle the expectations of the times we live in?

Whatever the case, I am glad Nintendo doesn't go bat shit insane over this stuff and concentrates on the GAMES more than anything. Games on the Wii U can still look damn amazing, and it's easy to appreciate the 3DS as well. I will admit, the capabilities of the Vita and other consoles is quite impressive. Very very impressive (I love my Vita when a good game comes out for it, holy shit). I just feel like the world is far too hung up on less important things in gaming, and it's disappointing. Try giving a kid Super Metroid from this generation. Looks godly epic when you lived around that time, right? You can bet your ass the kid will just shit on it >.> Ugh...

I'm not proud of this generation. This is why I stick with portable games. The budget actually has to go into GAMEPLAY, since graphics are limited to a point. And cmon, if I can get 100+ into Monster Hunter on my 3DS, 100+ into Kid Icarus Uprising, both of these on re play-ability alone... I think something was done right. Oh, and 465 hours on MH Freedom Unite. Yup. Looks kinda bleh now, even did then, still has good gameplay that made me come back. That is what gaming should be about. Seems the common, outspoken gaming populace forgot this themselves. /sigh

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Trolling or not, that was a stupid move on the part of the Microsoft exec. Didn't they learn anything from the 'deal with it' debarkle? Such bursts of emotion while cathartic only provide additional ammunition and further ridicule of an already damaged brand.

smithy_2045

Jan 30, 2008
Evil Smurf said:
smithy_2045 said:
Evil Smurf said:
It's backwards compatible, so much so it can play game cube games, how does that make it worse?
Really? The best thing you can think of about the Wii U is that it can play GameCube games? My GameCube can do that, I don't need my Wii U to do that.

The Wii U is objectively an inferior console.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
To be fair, I'd be annoyed too if a game could run at the desired settings for once and to still have it held against me. Which is why if this was a Forza dev, I'd be sympathetic. It is a Microsoft exec, who has to speak for the whole selection of games, most of which are not 1080p. I wouldn't care about the resolution except that there are people who think it is better than the PS4, and I wouldn't want people to get the wrong impression.

alj

Master of Unlocking
Nov 20, 2009
The problem is, everyone wants "better graphics" this let to studios dialing back the resolution and refresh rate last generation in a sad attempt to keep up with PCs level of effects and texture resolution. And now they have the processing power to deliver the games at a decent resolution and refresh rate they still dial them back to have more shininess on screen as the games have to look good in the screenshots and on youtube videos ( also locked to 30fps). What would make things better would be if games focused on a good aesthetic with a decent level of realism and spend the extra horsepower on a decent resolution and refresh rate, you game will look better feel better and be cheaper. This will allow you to take more risks and have more innovative games.

Mooboo Magoo

Aug 22, 2011
MazokuRanma said:
CarnageRacing00 said:
In most circumstances, yes, I'd say that players should just accept what they have and enjoy the games.

HOWEVER...

Much of Microsoft's marketing on the Xbone implied (and in some cases, outright stated) that it was technically superior to the PS4.

I can't help but feel as if anyone who purchased the Xbone, hoping to have THE cutting edge console, the one that's supposed to be the superior piece of tech, is more than justified in being upset that the Xbox is lagging behind the PS4 in terms of technical capability.
That's because you misunderstood the marketing. It's not the most cutting edge gaming system available, it's the most cutting edge cable box available. Oh, and it plays some games, too.
Ha! I guess the Xbone IS a pretty awesome cable box.

Normally I don't care about graphics or resolution or anything like that, but the PS4 and Xbone are direct competitors, or at least they are supposed to be. If this was three or four years from now and a few games were at a lower resolution on the Xbone that would be one thing, but these consoles JUST launched. As time goes on games get more and more graphically intense so that 'minor' difference is going to become more and more apparent.

It would also be different if the price points were swapped. I would expect the less expensive console to have worse performance not the other way around. Don't get me wrong I love the Kinect; it is a fantastic piece of hardware and has a ton of really interesting possibilities, but whoever decided it was a gaming peripheral is an idiot. It is awful in that capacity and no matter how hard you try a square peg doesn't fit into a round hole.

JayRPG

Oct 25, 2012
The thing I find most funny about all this is that Microsoft marketed that the xbox one would be more powerful than the PS4.

And not just to the general public, At the JB Hi-Fi roadshow (basically a big day where all the sales employees meet, greet and are given information by a bunch of different companies pertaining to their products) the Microsoft gaming division told us explicitly that the xbox one would be more powerful than the PS4 because of cloud computing - I said it to them then and I'll say it again now;
If Microsoft really think that cloud computing is going to be able to overcome hardware inadequacies then Microsoft really don't understand how cloud computing works or what it even is.

All this crap about how 3 other people in the cloud are going to be helping you run your own console meaning your own console only has to do 1/4th the work and all that BS... Even if that were true or possible... are they forgetting that while you are getting help from 3 other consoles.. you are also helping other consoles with yours? so the whole idea is moot, the whole idea cancels itself out.

The fact is, Microsoft lied, now they are trying to downplay it's significance, along with a healthy dose of unprofessional tweets.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
When did microsoft ever try to sell their amazing graphics for games?
Last thing I heard from them was "TV! TV! Football! TV!".

Or did you really believe in that "power of the cloud" gibberish?
That was "blast processing" talk. 100% meaningless marketing bullshit.

Ipsen

Jul 8, 2008
smithy_2045 said:
Evil Smurf said:
smithy_2045 said:
Evil Smurf said:
Really? The best thing you can think of about the Wii U is that it can play GameCube games? My GameCube can do that, I don't need my Wii U to do that.

The Wii U is objectively an inferior console.
'Best' wasn't a term Evil Smurf used to qualify that function of the Wii U. Since that one seemed to fly over your head, it was stated for the purpose of scope; Nintendo consoles tend to have the scale to be backwards compatible, in this case, to two generations back (though it doesn't matter; no controller ports for the gamecube means no actual gamecube play).

And on terms of graphics...have you read even this thread at all? This whole issue in the big picture isn't a big deal, provided that you play games as games and not visual experiences, but it's like you've missed last generation too; Xbox 360 and PS3 had 1080p games as well. The ire is that a 'new generation' (and 400-500 bucks) should be a solution for at least one thing limited or inconsistent in the last generation, and that just isn't happening or being seen.

But in any case, this is all subjective. Just like your 'objective opinion' on inferior consoles. If you want some help on a more balanced position, try not to think about 'worse/better', 'best/worst', judgment on comparison. Consoles are supposed to be varied on a number of aspects, so 'objectively' it becomes inefficient for a simple quality comparison.