Microsoft: Halo: Reach Will Be Biggest Game of 2010

WaywardHaymaker

Aug 21, 2009
No way the best console exclusive games can outsell the best multi-platform games.

Although I could see it outselling God of War 3.

Tears of Blood

Jul 7, 2009
Oh, I have a feeling Microsoft isn't just making shit up. This seems pretty likely to me. All they have to do is market it properly and add a gimmick like Modern Warfare 2 did. Maybe they'll throw in a real working Halo assault rifle if you buy the "Legendary Edition."

Nah, just kidding, but really I think it could easily be the best selling of 2010. Mass Effect 2 will be big, but it's an RPG. The thing that sets it apart from the rest of the games is that all the "regular people" will buy it. As in, the people who don't play games all that much. Just like Modern Warfare 2, it's going to apply to a huge audience.

Trust me, when this game is about to come out, I think I will see a lot of you who are decrying it now going "Do want." simply because of the ads. You'll actually check it out.

But, maybe I'm wrong. Who knows?

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Rusty Bucket said:
BehattedWanderer said:
Hehehe I scoff at that. How many twenty-aught-nine titles got pushed back? There's to be lots of competition, to say the least. In just Q1 2010 you've got an amazing slew of titles, some of which are almost certain to contend--Bayonetta, MAG, Mass Effect 2, Bioshock 2, Battlefield: Bad Company 2, Final Fantasy something, and God of War 3--and that's only through March.
How many of those will be able to actually contend though? Remember, this guy is talking purely about sales, not quality. How many of these games are going to stand up to an established, immensely popular title that's backed by Microsoft's marketing hammers?
LeeHarveyO said:
They are so full of it.

Ain't no way gaylo is gonna beat out SC2 and ME2!
Well, since this guy is talking purely about sales, it's going to smash those two into the ground.
Actually...the guy you quoted after me has a point that I hadn't brought up. Sales wise, Halo games have been dropping, now that everyone actually knows how mediocre it is, but that won't stop them from selling faster than McDonalds. Plenty of games are sure to be better in content, but there's one game I don't think can be ignored in the sales race--it's worldwide market has been dormant for years, just waiting for the next installment, and it's soon to be released--Starcraft 2. We've been teased with it for a few years now, and it is still reasonably slated for this year. CoD and Halo might be money bringers, but the original Starcraft is still one of the highest grossing games ever, and is still sold out frequently on most shelves. I really don't think we should dismiss that so easily, friend.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Did ODST do that well? I wasn't really paying attention. Hell, is there even a single player game worth mentioning in all that Multiplayer BS?

Seriously though, unless Microsoft has seriously upgraded the Halo Engine, this game will look like complete ass when it's actually released.

Rusty Bucket

Dec 2, 2008
BehattedWanderer said:
Rusty Bucket said:
BehattedWanderer said:
Hehehe I scoff at that. How many twenty-aught-nine titles got pushed back? There's to be lots of competition, to say the least. In just Q1 2010 you've got an amazing slew of titles, some of which are almost certain to contend--Bayonetta, MAG, Mass Effect 2, Bioshock 2, Battlefield: Bad Company 2, Final Fantasy something, and God of War 3--and that's only through March.
How many of those will be able to actually contend though? Remember, this guy is talking purely about sales, not quality. How many of these games are going to stand up to an established, immensely popular title that's backed by Microsoft's marketing hammers?
LeeHarveyO said:
They are so full of it.

Ain't no way gaylo is gonna beat out SC2 and ME2!
Well, since this guy is talking purely about sales, it's going to smash those two into the ground.
Actually...the guy you quoted after me has a point that I hadn't brought up. Sales wise, Halo games have been dropping, now that everyone actually knows how mediocre it is, but that won't stop them from selling faster than McDonalds. Plenty of games are sure to be better in content, but there's one game I don't think can be ignored in the sales race--it's worldwide market has been dormant for years, just waiting for the next installment, and it's soon to be released--Starcraft 2. We've been teased with it for a few years now, and it is still reasonably slated for this year. CoD and Halo might be money bringers, but the original Starcraft is still one of the highest grossing games ever, and is still sold out frequently on most shelves. I really don't think we should dismiss that so easily, friend.
That's a fair point, I didn't really think too much about Starcraft 2. Although I'm not not entirely sure that's it's going to sell quite as well as it should have done. They haven't really changed anything, and it's being split into three parts, which I don't think anyone agrees with. I just don't think people should be dismissing these claims so easily.

In terms of Halo losing popularity, I think the last two games haven't sold as well for a couple of reasons. Halo Wars was an RTS, and a console one at that, so naturally it won' sell as much. As for ODST, I honestly don't think the marketing guys were trying particularly hard. If they pull out all the stops for Reach, then I see no reason why it couldn't make it to the top.

farmerboy219

Feb 22, 2009
I have no doubt it will sell millions. but compared to all the other new games, no chance of being the best

Dec 30, 2009
It might. Don't doubt the power of Microsoft's PR department. This game will be hyped as much as MW2. It probably going to better, knowing how much care Bungie puts into testing and polishing. We'll find out how good the Multiplayer is in Spring, when the Beta comes out. Till then, my judgment is reserved.

CuddlyCombine

Sep 12, 2007
awsome117 said:
John-117 is not [in]on[/i] Reach per say. He is above in some orbital platforms, so no. The game takes place on the ground, so MC should not be there.
I know. If it's anything like the book, I know.

awsome117

Jan 27, 2009
PedroSteckecilo said:
Did ODST do that well? I wasn't really paying attention. Hell, is there even a single player game worth mentioning in all that Multiplayer BS?

Seriously though, unless Microsoft has seriously upgraded the Halo Engine, this game will look like complete ass when it's actually released.
For one thing, ODST was just an expansion. Second, Halo Reach is on a new engine, with completely new graphics and new designs. The story is like that of The Fall of Reach (a great read).

I suggest you look at some screen shots before you say it doesn't look updated.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
I'd much rather hear that from a Developer at Bungie rather that someone as detached as marketing department of Microsoft.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
The DSM said:
I highly doubt that, its a contender, but it lacks to originality to get good sales after the first week of release.

But then again an unoriginal concept didnt get GoTt either....(Yes I am refering to MW2, it wasnt that good)
I was about to say "MW2 wasn't original.." but you ninja'd me yourself ;)

Zac_Dai

Oct 21, 2008
Rusty Bucket said:
That's a fair point, I didn't really think too much about Starcraft 2. Although I'm not not entirely sure that's it's going to sell quite as well as it should have done. They haven't really changed anything, and it's being split into three parts, which I don't think anyone agrees with. I just don't think people should be dismissing these claims so easily.
Neither did MW2 or Halo 3. These games sell purely on the hype and name.

I really think it will be a close call between SC2 and Halo. Both have juggernaut marketing power behind them. SC2 does have the entire country of S.Korea as an advantage but Reach is working with I would guess a much larger install base.

Not sure why I care really since I don't like Starcraft and lost interest after Halo 2.

Rusty Bucket

Dec 2, 2008
Zac_Dai said:
Rusty Bucket said:
Neither did MW2 or Halo 3. These games sell purely on the hype and name.

I really think it will be a close call between SC2 and Halo. Both have juggernaut marketing power behind them. SC2 does have the entire country of S.Korea as an advantage but Reach is working with I would guess a much larger install base.

Not sure why I care really since I don't like Starcraft and lost interest after Halo 2.
Well yeah, but Starcraft 2 s coming out 11 years after the original. You'd have thought they could have done a little more than add some new units and update the graphics. From what I've heard people are a touch dissapointed and wondering why they don't just stick with the original.

The_Quick_Brown_Fox

Jan 15, 2010
To put it yet another way...

Halo Reach being the biggest game of 2010 seems a little unlikely when you consider that Halo 3 lifetime sales are pretty much on par with New Super Mario Bros Wii, which has only been out for a couple of months, and is itself not in the top 10 for 2009.

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
I wouldn't be surprised if it did. Halo 3 came out 2 years ago and it's still of the most widely played and bought games on the Xbox. It'll have to be big to match the might of God of War III though.