Microsoft Has "Too Much Invested" to Let Apple Win Mobile Gaming

darkfire613

Jun 26, 2009
From the videos I've seen of Windows Phone 7, it seems like a nice operating system to mess around with, but like it would get annoying for day-to-day use. The transitions with the flipping text would get annoying really quickly, for example. That's just my opinion, and I've never used it so it might be different in actual use, but it just looks like Microsoft is trying too hard to out-Apple Apple.

EDIT: Sorry, forgot to include the part relating to gaming. I'm definitely in agreement with the other posters, it seems Microsoft isn't even putting much effort into advertising the gaming aspect. Gaming plays a huge role in Apple's advertisements, but I can't say I've seen much about Windows Phone 7 at all. They will need some huge, out-of-nowhere bonus to win this battle.

rees263

The Lone Wanderer
Jun 4, 2009
Given how well Microsoft have handled GFWL I don't hold out much hope for the phone.

SL33TBL1ND said:
BenzSmoke said:
Microsoft was in the mobile gaming market?
That's what I was thinking, obviously they need to actually do some marketing so people buy this gadget which I only found out about today.
Here in the UK I have seen quite a few TV adverts for the new phone and I actually liked it as well which is odd (the ad, not bothered by the phone - would buy an iphone if I could afford it, but my current contract is sooo cheap and I have an ipod touch already so it doesn't seem worth it.). That said I haven't heard any hype over it at all which already puts it a step behind everyone else.

tautologico

e^(i * pi) + 1 = 0
Apr 5, 2010
I don't think many people consider Windows Phone a serious player. It's between iOS and Android now. Windows Phone is like Zune (anyone remembers it?)

manaman

Sep 2, 2007
Zhukov said:
Windows Phone 7.

Uh huh.

What is that? I've never even heard of it.

Apparently someone in marketing hasn't done their job.
Just released in August.

It's really a shame it probably will fail because pretty much everything about the phones released so far are far superior to the iPhone. Then again pretty much every Droid phone released bets the socks off the iPhone. Why is that thing so popular again? It's not just the apps. It might surprise you how many people buy the iPhone, just because everyone else has one.

Oddly enough the frame work already exists to interface this with your gammertag. They could be offering ports of popular 360 arcade titles as a buy one get the other version free deal. Buy it for the phone get it free for the 360, and vice versa. I know they won't, but talk about a way to spark some interest in your platform.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
rees263 said:
Given how well Microsoft have handled GFWL I don't hold out much hope for the phone.

SL33TBL1ND said:
BenzSmoke said:
That's what I was thinking, obviously they need to actually do some marketing so people buy this gadget which I only found out about today.
Here in the UK I have seen quite a few TV adverts for the new phone and I actually liked it as well which is odd (the ad, not bothered by the phone - would buy an iphone if I could afford it, but my current contract is sooo cheap and I have an ipod touch already so it doesn't seem worth it.). That said I haven't heard any hype over it at all which already puts it a step behind everyone else.
Well, I don't watch TV so that could be it. But you'd think that MS would know that and do some internet advertising, because of the demographic.

Grey_Focks

Jan 12, 2010
Delusibeta said:
That the OS that sold 1,000 phones in the first weekend in the UK? (Or something similarly low).
Grey_Focks said:
Was looking at new phones the other day, actually, and the Windows Phone 7 is actually pretty damn nice. I'm still deciding between that or the newest Android, and I can safely say there's not a chance in hell of me getting an iPhone. However I honestly didn't even know the damn thing existed until a couple days ago, so that shows just how good their marketing for it is.

EDIT- leaning towards the Droid, btw, though the semi-recent announcement that Wp7 will soon be sold in Verizon stores atleast makes me want to consider it.
I would hold off making any high-end phone purchases for now, Google announced the Nexus S, which will ship with Gingerbread (new version of Android). That said, we are talking £550 and £35/month contracts here.
I haven't upgraded in roughly 4 years with Verizon, so I can pretty much pick whatever phone I want and it won't cost me a cent, so cost really isn't that big of a deal. Though my old phone really is on it's last legs. I'd be amazed if it made it through the winter, so I may not be able to wait for this fancy new Gingerbread thing.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Baneat said:
They really should learn from their success in the OS market.

You lose, M$, and that's just that.
Uhm... What? Are you trying to imply that they lose in the OS market? The one that they have been dominating for years and still hold a huge market share in over their competitors?!

If that is losing, what the hell qualifies as winning to you?

manaman said:
It's really a shame it probably will fail because pretty much everything about the phones released so far are far superior to the iPhone. Then again pretty much every Droid phone released bets the socks off the iPhone. Why is that thing so popular again?
Because it has this on the back:

And sadly there is a large group of people out there who will buy anything with that on it, regardless of the quality of the device with that on it and the quality of competing devices.

Little Duck

Diving Space Muffin
Oct 22, 2009
My issue with the windows phone is that it doesn't feel like a fun place to be sort of thing. I look at the screen and think oh my god I'm in an office. The iPhone has more of a child's play park feel to it. Which is great. It's a lot more fun. Still I have to commend microsoft for their effort to not be the iPhone. I'm sure it would organise my time and save me years but it doesn't make me feel happy.

Bobbity

Mar 17, 2010
I'm afraid that Microsoft is fighting a losing battle; Apple dominates the market right now. The Android has a chance, but Microsoft jsut lacks the public appeal and marketing of the other two.
Also, I'm incredibly reluctant to believe that this piece of software will be the first non-buggy Microsoft product.

The Zune of mobile gaming, here we come!

Double A

Jul 29, 2009
Why doesn't Microsoft just create a handheld console that can do both hardcore games and download casual games?

Olrod

Feb 11, 2010
mjc0961 said:
Baneat said:
They really should learn from their success in the OS market.

You lose, M$, and that's just that.
Uhm... What? Are you trying to imply that they lose in the OS market? The one that they have been dominating for years and still hold a huge market share in over their competitors?!

If that is losing, what the hell qualifies as winning to you?

manaman said:
It's really a shame it probably will fail because pretty much everything about the phones released so far are far superior to the iPhone. Then again pretty much every Droid phone released bets the socks off the iPhone. Why is that thing so popular again?

And sadly there is a large group of people out there who will buy anything with that on it, regardless of the quality of the device with that on it and the quality of competing devices.
That reminds me of this clip (also from Cracked.com) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL7yD-0pqZg

Flac00

May 19, 2010
GeorgW said:
Microsoft doesn't stand a chance. Even if it has a good platform for games, but it doesn't have the software, and the OS is inferior. They should save their money and give up. I think android will win in the end, but it will be a looong and even race.
I don't know, apple does have an early start on them all. Plus, with the new Gamecenter and a huge increase in console developers making games for the iPhone, it has an advantage still. At this point, people know how to use the iPhone's platform more than on any other, so I'm betting on it. This whole conflict will only lead to good for the community though, it will make both companies make higher quality and cheaper products.

Sep 13, 2009
To quote Yahtzee: "They're jumping on the bandwagon so late the band has had 3 sell out tours, and sold the wagon to the scrap yard."

Seriously. Microsoft is dipping it's feet in a bit late here. Most people have firmly entrenched themselves with either iPhone or Android at this point. And honestly, Apple isn't really going after hand held gaming. Yes iOS supports A LOT of indie and studio games, but it's not a devoted gaming platform.

Flac00

May 19, 2010
tautologico said:
I don't think many people consider Windows Phone a serious player. It's between iOS and Android now. Windows Phone is like Zune (anyone remembers it?)
Oh yeah, the zune......no one bought it. iPhone all the way.

alik44

Sep 11, 2010
Why is everybody tryin to make a dam phone sony microsoft cnt wait nintendo bring out its new phone

MaVeN1337

Feb 19, 2009
SL33TBL1ND said:
BenzSmoke said:
Same here, I had no idea Microsoft was even part of that.

manaman

Sep 2, 2007
mjc0961 said:
manaman said:

You know that's basically what I said in the very next sentence, right?

I don't particularly have a problem with people buying apple products, they are fairly good quality products. I do have a problem with people defending to the death a device they paid twice what it was worth. Without the cult branding of the iPod half the people that own one right now probably wouldn't have ever heard of Apple.

Electrogecko

Apr 15, 2010
SL33TBL1ND said:
BenzSmoke said:
There's been a shit-ton of marketing for the Windows Phone on t.v here in the U.S....not too heavy on the gaming aspect of it though.