Microsoft Has "Too Much Invested" to Let Apple Win Mobile Gaming

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Electrogecko said:
SL33TBL1ND said:
BenzSmoke said:
Microsoft was in the mobile gaming market?
That's what I was thinking, obviously they need to actually do some marketing so people buy this gadget which I only found out about today.
There's been a shit-ton of marketing for the Windows Phone on t.v here in the U.S....not too heavy on the gaming aspect of it though.
Well, they seem to be pretending it doesn't even exist in Aus.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
I heard something a while back: There are 100,000 apps on the iPhone, but only 10 of them are any good. Microsoft's is undoubtly much smaller.

Phone games are good if you are waiting for a bus, or watching a boring movie (largely against your will), or if the power is out. But why play something as simple/basic as most phone games out there when you have Nintendo DS or PSP available?

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
Mobile gaming isn't dominated by Apple, it's dominated by (who's surprised?) Nintendo. And yet Microsoft and Sony don't even try to admit they're getting their asses kicked by the DS so they pretend to be competing against Apple's apps market.

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
All it is, is one big pissing contest.

I wouldnt waste my money on a phone for gaming. If i want handheld gaming, i'll play my PSP, or go buy a DS.

Oh whats that? It makes calls too? So does my PSP! It has skype! Which is cheaper, safer, and i can get less telemarketers! Congratulations! Youve created a phone thats vastly inferior to my PSP, and it costs the same amount! $200 bucks on sale!

F*ck! I could get another 360 for that price! Or i could get me a Kindle and a solar panel, so i can access the internet for free anywhere i want for the rest of eternity!

BrunDeign

Feb 14, 2008
What merits the term "mobile gaming?" Just gaming on a cell phone? I guess between Nintendo and Sony, handheld gaming would have been a economically suicidal path to follow.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Ahem.

The Zune.

Now seriously I didn't even know that there was a Windows Phone out. And why is it called 7? Isn't it their first phone?

Thedutchjelle

Mar 31, 2009
What the hell is that with people and overly complicated phones lately? It seems some people buy a new one every two months or so. It used to be a device for calling people while not at home. It's an omni-tool now.

I don't care if either Microsoft or Apple or Google waste all their money on those phones and their OSes. I'm sticking to my dirt-cheap cellphone that can call and text. Sufficient for me. :p

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
JediMB said:
I was quite impressed by my brother-in-law's Windows Phone 7. Very sleek interface, and navigation was smooth. Didn't get enough time with it to know for sure how it compares to my Xperia X10 (Android), but I'd easily choose the Microsoft phone over an iPhone.
The iOS platform is a closed system. If Microsoft can offer us a mobile platform that has the great app support iOS has, with the open architecture of Android, we'll be seeing something happen that hasn't happened in the Phone business. A powerful phone, with a sleek OS that can be tweaked to the user's specifications (Themes, Styles etc...). More freedom to app developers etc... A mobile PC if you will.

Now, I like iOS. I use an iPod Touch as my MP3 player. It works as a media device. It does what it is supposed to do, and it does it well. If I want to use my iPod Touch for anything other than what it was designed for, then that's where the trouble starts. Windows Phone 7 follows a more open design philosophy allowing people to expand the capabilities of their phones. Now iOS can do that through apps, and although they would both use similar methods to achieve it, I have a feeling that Windows Phone 7 will offer much more freedom to users on how they can use their phones for different tasks.

VondeVon

Dec 30, 2009
Microsoft need something incredible to pull me away from Apple right now.

As it is, all they get is a disinterested stare.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
I won a 4th gen iPod Touch yesterday, been playing around since I haven't had or since an iphone or ipod since my original iPod which I use to listen to audio books with mostly.

This thing is pretty impressive, but the games that I see on the Game Center and app store... well suck. The only good game was iLove Katamari The rest don't seem to understand the concept of what the technology can do. I still have to say that the DS is way better. There is a lot of room for dominance if Microsoft wants it, just release better games.

Danzaivar

Jul 13, 2004
I get the feeling a lot of people on this forum would have (10 years ago) been telling Microsoft not to bother making a console because Sony, Sega and Nintendo are so firmly entrenched that they have no chance, and they should just stick to the PC market.

It'll be crap for the first year or two, then it will get popular. Because it's a waiting/money game, and Microsoft has plenty of both.

(And the phone only came out recently anyway which is why a lot of people don't know about it)

Lovesfool

Jan 28, 2009
I feel that market share is irrelevant at this point.

What matters is if this is a profitable venture. If they manage to make money out of it, who cares about market share?

I don't think that gaming is used as a system seller for these devices. They are phones first and everything else is an added bonus. So if MS convinces you to buy an phone using MS OS, why not have games available for you to purchase? I suspect that porting content from Androids or Apple, or even making new content is quite inexpensive and well worth the risk of digital distribution.

So, why should they get off the wagon? They can only win.

v3n0mat3

Jul 30, 2008
I'm getting a Droid come January. If you want me to buy a WP7 Microsoft, then release a phone for Verizon within a month of my upgrade, and make it worth not getting my Droid X for. Ok? Ok.

Blimey

Nov 10, 2009
Calm down Microsoft. You have the Xbox. And you have a good thing with it. Spend time making it even better, and you will still be happy. The iPhone is too large for you to battle with.

And Angry Birds fucking rocks.

castlewise

Lord Fancypants
Jul 18, 2010
I'm not sure the "mobile gaming market" is something you win. Its not like the DS or the PSP. People buy an Iphone or an Android phone or a Microsoft phone for a variety of reasons(i.e. cost, service, features) but I don't think game selection is one of them.